Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,910 members, 7,799,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll (15162 Views)

Quick Easy Recipe To Make A Tasty Fish Roll / Egg Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Egg Stew For Yam/rice / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by ThisTrend(f): 2:56pm On Apr 14, 2017
Nigerian fish roll is an extremely common confectionery in Nigeria and a great many other part of Africa. Although much less popular as it was previously, you may still find a great deal of fish move loyalists who wouldn't have other things to go with their drink over a busy afternoon.

Fish roll is merely an assortment of pastry and undoubtedly, flaked fish. The task to make the fish roll is comparable to other snacks; so you may want to check out the procedure below to make some at home.

How to make Nigerian fish roll: Tools needed
*. Rolling pin
*. Mixing bowl
*. Flat surface (wood board)
*. Frying pan
*. Dough cutter (or ruler)
*. Knife

How to make Nigerian fish roll: Ingredients
Dough

*. 250g all-purpose flower
*. 170g butter
*. ¼ teaspoon of salt
*. 2 eggs + 1 egg (for egg wash)
*. ½ teaspoon of baking powder
*. Fresh clean water

Filling
*. 2 medium sized fish
*. 2 medium onions
*. Chilli pepper (to taste)
*. Salt (to taste)
*. 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
*. Seasoning cubes
*. ½ teaspoon of thyme

How to make Nigerian fish roll: Instructions
Dough

1. Pour the flour into a medium mixing bowl.
2. Add baking powder and butter (in chunks). Add the eggs too.
3. Add lukewarm water, salt and vegetable oil (about 3 spoonful) and mix till you have a smooth stretchy dough.
4. Cover the lumpy mixture with an air tight plastic wrap and leave it to breath in the fridge for 15 minutes.

Filing
1. Wash and cut the fish. Set in a pot and add water.
2. Slice in some onions and add salt to taste.
3. Cook till it’s boiled and empty into a sieve. (you can use the water for some other purposes).
4. When fish is cool, remove all the bones and flake (add onions).
5. Add seasoning cubes, thyme, pepper and salt to taste.
6. Mix well and set aside.

Making the Fish Roll
1. Bring out the dough from the fridge and begin kneading.

2. Knead till you have a smoother and more elastic mixture.

3. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 2-3mm.

4. Use a dough cutter to trim off the edges of the flattened dough, to give you a rectangular shape. (You can return the trimmed edges to the fridge).

5. Place your filling at one end of the rectangular dough.

6. Apply egg wash to the remaining parts of the dough (till about half way, then you can leave it.)

7. Start rolling your dough over till you’re halfway and cut the dough straight in the middle.

8. Repeat step 5-7 for the remaining half and now you should have two long rolls of fillings rolled up in dough.

9. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into three equal parts.

10. Now heat about 3 spoons of vegetable oil in the frying pan and allow to heat up for 2 minutes.

11. Gently place your rolls in batches (as much as the pan can take but be careful not to overcrowd the pan).

12. Deep fry and make sure the colour changes to golden brown.

13. Repeat for the other rolls till there’s no roll left.

14. Remove from the pan and place in paper towels to soak up the excess oil.

Your Fish roll is prepared to be used with one of your favorite drink in its chilled condition.

Notes
*. If you’ll prefer to bake your egg rolls, after filling and rolling up the dough, brush the outside with egg wash and place in the baking tray.

*. Set your heat gauge to 180 degrees and bake for 20-30 minutes.

*. If you don’t have a dough cutter, you can use a ruler (Knife might not be straight).

*. Overcrowding the pan might lead to soggy fish rolls and it might not be presentable.

Source: http://www.thistrend.com.ng/2017/04/recipe-how-to-prepare-nigerian-fish-roll.html

lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun, Fynestboi, dominique, MissyB3

1 Share

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by kaycexx(m): 2:59pm On Apr 14, 2017
I'm back, I'm waiting for my FTC gift.

if I should learn how to make fish roll poverty don de knock be that.

just here to comment.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by tuna4servi(m): 3:44pm On Apr 14, 2017
I no first comment, pain me sha

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by izzy4shizzy(m): 3:45pm On Apr 14, 2017
Me

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by Nobody: 3:45pm On Apr 14, 2017
I have a feeling that this is not helpful at all undecided

3 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by Godprotectigbo5(f): 3:46pm On Apr 14, 2017
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by RaeMystix: 3:47pm On Apr 14, 2017
What if one decides to substitute All purpose flour for Coconut/ Almond flour ?. Will it come out as nice as it would if the All purpose flour were used?. Just asking. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by edimahgurl(f): 3:47pm On Apr 14, 2017
FTC cheesy grin grin angry
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by PhemPhetal(f): 3:47pm On Apr 14, 2017
Nice. but am new welcome me.

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by harffie(m): 3:47pm On Apr 14, 2017
grin
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by Explorers(m): 3:48pm On Apr 14, 2017
Make i run go kitchen sharp sharp......
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by harffie(m): 3:48pm On Apr 14, 2017
RaeMystix:
What if one decides to substitute Coconut/ Almond flour for All purpose flour?. Will it come out as nice as it would if the All purpose flour were used?. Just asking. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by harffie(m): 3:49pm On Apr 14, 2017
PhemPhetal:

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by Oluwasaeon(m): 3:49pm On Apr 14, 2017

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by Brymo: 3:49pm On Apr 14, 2017
There are only three things women need in life: food, water, and compliments. Chris Rock
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by wintersnow(m): 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2017
So.I bought one fish roll like that last week.. Saw crayfish inside

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by RaeMystix: 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2017
[quote author=harffie post=55566396][/quote]

It's called keeping that shape right and tight. Less carbs luv.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by EXLOVER(m): 3:51pm On Apr 14, 2017
The last time i ate fish roll was in 1995, when our then landlord bought a tortoise car. Since then i nor like am again, he just strong like kpomo
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by harffie(m): 3:52pm On Apr 14, 2017
RaeMystix:

It's called keeping that shape right and tight. Less carbs luv.
Oh, alright.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by harffie(m): 3:53pm On Apr 14, 2017
wintersnow:
So.I bought one fish roll like that last week.. Saw crayfish inside
grin
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by izzy4shizzy(m): 3:55pm On Apr 14, 2017
Okay

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by edimahgurl(f): 3:55pm On Apr 14, 2017
Oluwasaeon:

E pain me sha embarassed embarassed

But how he take concern u angry angry undecided
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by Davidgrey: 3:56pm On Apr 14, 2017
looks nice!
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by Nairalane: 3:57pm On Apr 14, 2017
You no add to remove the fish wey u wish to put inside
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by Soljaboi44(m): 3:58pm On Apr 14, 2017
Lie lie.. upon that na onions and tomatoes go dey inside undecided
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by Oluwasaeon(m): 4:07pm On Apr 14, 2017
edimahgurl:

E pain me sha embarassed embarassed

But how he take concern u angry angry undecided
grin grin grin
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by VIPERVENOM(m): 4:13pm On Apr 14, 2017
all purpose flower??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by ODAROOMS(m): 4:22pm On Apr 14, 2017
grin
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by celestialAgent(m): 4:23pm On Apr 14, 2017
All these for just one food?

By the time you are done, have finished breakfast, lunch and dinner

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by SmartyPants(m): 4:30pm On Apr 14, 2017
PhemPhetal:

why should anyone welcome you?
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by Edum13656: 4:41pm On Apr 14, 2017
is it puff-puff?
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll by adontcare(f): 4:55pm On Apr 14, 2017
PhemPhetal:
welcom grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Reasons Why You Should Start Eating Acha (aka Fonio) / Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) / Gala Is Now N70

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.