Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120514 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jun 04, 2019
jidestroud:
Tomatoes doing well, but how I wish I planted my Rio grande. cry .

I've got to optimize fruit production per plant. This is Cobra and I'm guessing I should be having more fruits per plant. angry . Did a few hand pollination today, waiting to see the outcome in coming days.

Bro, you don't need hand pollination for tomato. It is self pollinated plant. Just shake the plants (or if your place is windy, no need) around 12noon to 2pm when the flowers are fully opened, and there will be heavy pollination.

Rio Grande is a ba.d as.s among all open pollinated, and that's what the hausa use more. As long as soil diseases can be handled. Still trying to see how I can master planting it in rainy season. If I get it right, I.am dumping all hybrids cos no more buying seeds.

But fruits on the Cobra looks so scanty. To get reasonable yield, there must be 10,000 plants per acre or even up to 12,000. That is what I call serious work on open field. grin I prefer 3,500 to 6,000 per acre. Work is reasonably minimized. Ha! 12,000 plants on 1 acre. That na die.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:07pm On Jun 04, 2019
Pistotita:

Bro, you don't need hand pollination for tomato. It is self pollinated plant. Just shake the plants (or if your place is windy, no need) around 12noon to 2pm when the flowers are fully opened, and there will be heavy pollination.

Rio Grande is a ba.d as.s among all open pollinated, and that's what the hausa use more. As long as soil diseases can be handled. Still trying to see how I can master planting it in rainy season. If I get it right, I.am dumping all hybrids cos no more buying seeds.

But fruits on the Cobra looks so scanty. To get reasonable yield, there must be 10,000 plants per acre or even up to 12,000. That is what I call serious work on open field. grin I prefer 3,500 to 6,000 per acre. Work is reasonably minimized. Ha! 12,000 plants on 1 acre. That na die.

Shake the whole plant abi? And I was busy wasting my time tapping all the flowers... grin cry (just imagining if I was doing a whole plot, not to talk of an acre).
I'm still trying to understand the hype associated with the cobra sir, apart from the disease resistance which I believe I can work my way around with the other cultivars (well, restricted to a plot sha ooooo), fruit size not encouraging, and I'm getting lots of leaf rolls noticeable only on the Cobra (Rodeo 62 & Roma VF none).
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:14pm On Jun 04, 2019
Pistotita:

Hmmmm!

You are dam.n right. Rio Grande rocks. Developed by the University of California to thrive in hot and humid weather.

Resistance: Anthracnose, Fusarium Wilt 2, Verticillium Wilt.

Fruit size: 170 grams to 226grams. (note: almost all these hybrids around are 70g to 120g. The glorious platinum is around 80 to 90g too, it will struggle to move beyond 100g).

It is extremely wonderful in cold and even extreme hot weather with high humidity. Before terrible diseases in soil start occurring, this cultivar defeated all kinds of Roma and other plums for commercial production. When we say commercial, we mean above 10 hectares.

This variety is meaty with little seeds inside. Water content is low and very tough for transportation.

Downsize:
1. Most commercial seeds are for large land production which is used for paste. So, it is not so tasteful, but still very okay.

2. Baterial wilt will finish it. Blight will destroy it if you are above even 1 plot. 50 to 100 plants are easier to manage. Also, TMV, TYLCV, Bacterial Spot leaves, etc will finish every damn thing on 100 ha.

@jidestrouds, please confirm the facts here. Also, like how many fruits did each plant produce the last time you did it?

I am seriously working on this variety too. I started the journey 7 months ago.

Facts checks out.
One of the mistakes I did though was not staking initially. I had tomatoes growing as tall as 5 fts with heavy fruits pulling down the vines.

Yields were much (didn't keep proper records back then sad , can't give exact figures), I was just plucking and turning to paste for preservation.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 04, 2019
jidestroud:

Shake the whole plant abi? And I was busy wasting my time tapping all the flowers... grin cry (just imagining if I was doing a whole plot, not to talk of an acre).
I'm still trying to understand the hype associated with the cobra sir, apart from the disease resistance which I believe I can work my way around with the other cultivars (well, restricted to a plot sha ooooo), fruit size not encouraging, and I'm getting lots of leaf rolls noticeable only on the Cobra (Rodeo 62 & Roma VF none).

Anyone doing it should wear clean cloth and wash himself before going into the field. I tell everyone to have like 7 overalls that will cover below knees. Use one per day, go round, just shake for some seconds. And like every day when you see flowers. one can reduce the activity at the later part of the season.

Option 2 is that you spray an organic enzyme, you do not need any pollination, and it is called seedless tomato.

Option 3, cultivate plants with good smell at strategic places on your farm if you are in non residential area. Bees, butterflies and nice boys will come in abundance. They will even invite friends of friends far away from Kano. The great translocation of pollinators from every nook and cranny of Naija. hhhahahaha!

You should be able to do 1 acre now brother. I think if you continue practising, by December this year if your mind can do it, you may even do 1 ha. Just start in Nov/December with 2 plots. After 4 weeks, transplant another 2 plots. And stop transplanting around March ending. You will make some crazy cash. But you need to really plan ahead. Cos what I see you doing here is impressive.

Personally, I don't look for farming skills in my partners again. I look more for attributes which I know can never come into play in a year. Attributes like consistency, perseverance, book keeping, event or research reporting, etc. And above all, faithfulness. Your consistency on this thread is obvious. And I commend you.

We can share ideas (I want to learn from you bro), and see if Rio Grande can be pulled. You can have a standby hybrid that you are good at managing, and as soon as you see that Rio Grande is messing up, you swap to hybrid sharp sharp. Even if it is Cobra, Platinum, or Padma with scanty fruits, you know that at that time, salary must be paid, profit must be made, effort must not waste.

Hmmmm! Bro, pull this thing and make some cash. I jwanna do it too, maybe yes, maybe no. It depends, if I have the inner strength to pull it off, I will. But I really wanna do it. Was still talking to some guys on Sunday that perhaps I am pulling tomato by Nov to Aug 2020, but I must have the land by August to start experimenting how the place is, test the soil, etc. It can take me 4 months to get ready before I sow my seeds, cos thorough soil analysis must be made. Who knows if I will do it or not. All in the hands of God.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by FMCASH(m): 7:32pm On Jun 04, 2019
jidestroud:

My choice paste tomato. Very high yield, fairly large fruits. Just a variety I would always love to have in my garden.
average yield per plant per kg? How many fruits on average basis? Is it resistance BW and TYLCV?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seedforthagro1: 3:10pm On Jun 06, 2019
jidestroud:

Okay boss, buzzing you ASAP!!!
Hey! I didn't get your message
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:18am On Jun 10, 2019
Update

It's been a long weekend, one with lots of rainfall. A prayer answer for most farmers (certainly not me) who depend solely for their corns, cucumbers, watermelons etc. As for my garden tomatoes, it's a big No even with the cobra variety present angry. Every necessary measures taken to prevent disease outbreak even if it is a resistant variety.

Good news and bad news
Bad news first; A tree which I have always found comfort resting under was pulled down over the weekend. Chai, I had so much history with that tree growing up. cry
Well, the good news is, the tree was sold and was cut into timbers or lumbers. In the process, I was able to get lots of fresh wood chips which I intend using to mulch.

More pictures when I am through. It's definitely going to be a busy Monday morning.

Note: Still reading and learning about it

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 11:06am On Jun 10, 2019
jidestroud:

Good news and bad news
Well, the good news is, the tree was sold and was cut into timbers or lumbers. In the process, I was able to get lots of fresh wood chips which I intend using to mulch.
I always envy people who eventually are successful with using improvised, or organic ways. I used to have a farm close to sawmills. While I was thinking of laying plastic mulch (anyway, which I never did), I saw a farmer who did it like yours. I was walking down to farm that morning and took another path, bammm! 1 acre covered with sawdust. shocked I was so astonished. I stood still, and could not believe my eyes. And the plants did not have any nutrient deficiency. Apparently, he mulched the plants root with compost. What a determined farmer? Later that afternoon on my way back to my apartment, I dropped by the farm, and he told me that he did it gradually. And he hoped to cover 1 ha soon. I just looked at him, and saluted him. Respect!

Bro, even drip. If I start saying how some innovative boys created their drip, guy.....oh ha...LA LA LA! These days, when I write, and anyone buzzes me, I just listen. Bro, the human mind is so innovative. So, it is concepts I preach these days. And I just allow my audience or listeners use their inner innovative imagination to achieve the end result of the concepts. This is why I write concepts more (ways of solving challenges only practical farmers can relate to) than just posting direct ways of solving problems. Deep thinkers always connect, it is magnetic.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:30am On Jun 14, 2019
Yesterday/Today's Update.

Great news, getting a few additions to my tomato collection. Stopped by a friend's house into gardening and was gifted Tomato Nadira F1 . Though just 16 plants were given, I can't wait to get them into my garden in coming weeks.

On the Tomatoes (Cobra and Rodeo)

I must give it to the rains, not a single day passes with it sending downpours on my garden plants. I have made it a duty to spray my homemade organic fungicide thrice weekly.
I did a few mulching with the wood chips, but I have been so lazy to finish up grin.
The tomatoes are doing so fine and coming out in numbers. All I have to do now is wait for a successful harvest.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by CNN80: 1:50pm On Jun 14, 2019
Hello Jide,

I read this whole thread and I am very impressed.

I just moved into a house with a very small paved backyard but I want to do some planting. I rescued 2 bathtubs and already have a dwarf plantain in one. I want to plant Ugu and/or tomatoes in the other. I'm hoping to practice container farming. Do you know where I can get a few seeds? I don't need commercial quantities.

I'm around the Amuwo-Odofin Axis. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

jidestroud:

Great news, getting a few additions to my tomato collection. Stopped by a friend's house into gardening and was gifted Tomato Nadira F1 . Though just 16 plants were given, I can't wait to get them into my garden in coming weeks.

I must give it to the rains, not a single day passes with it sending downpours on my garden plants. I have made it a duty to spray my homemade organic fungicide thrice weekly.
I did a few mulching with the wood chips, but I have been so lazy to finish up grin.
The tomatoes are doing so fine and coming out in numbers. All I have to do now is wait for a successful harvest.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:24am On Jun 15, 2019
CNN80:
Hello Jide,

I read this whole thread and I am very impressed.

I just moved into a house with a very small paved backyard but I want to do some planting. I rescued 2 bathtubs and already have a dwarf plantain in one. I want to plant Ugu and/or tomatoes in the other. I'm hoping to practice container farming. Do you know where I can get a few seeds? I don't need commercial quantities.

I'm around the Amuwo-Odofin Axis. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks for the review.

I know just a few places along that axis where I get my very own seeds if I ain't buying online. These are some places I have visited;

1. Agric bus-stop, just after Barracks before getting to Volks.

2. There's also an Agritropic outlet there.

3. Iyana-Iba / Lasu Road. Where most of the farmers in front of Lasu get their seeds and agrochemicals

4. There's an Agritropic outlet at the New shopping complex at Agbara Bus/stop.

5. You can also visit Coconut House at Ikoga, Badagry. Though not that stocked up last time I visited.

6. You can likewise visit Songhai if anything takes you to Ikoga in the first place. It is a place to behold.

Those are the few places I have visited to window shop seeds grin
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Juliana7: 12:16pm On Jun 15, 2019
jidestroud:

Thanks for the review.

I know just a few places along that axis where I get my very own seeds if I ain't buying online. These are some places I have visited;

3. Iyana-Iba / Lasu Road. Where most of the farmers in front of Lasu get their seeds and agrochemicals

5. You can also visit Coconut House at Ikoga, Badagry. Though not that stocked up last time I visited.

6. You can likewise visit Songhai if anything takes you to Ikoga in the first place. It is a place to behold.

pls sir, how do u get ur seed online?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 15, 2019
jidestroud:

Bro, are you planning to make profit from tomato? Or are you staying with growing it for personal consumption? If growing for personal consumption, you are on the right track. But if you want to make profit, the fruits on the plants in proportion to spacing are too scanty. Most people will survive producing for themselves, but you need to analyse the minimum yield per sqft of sqm of your farm. I suggest you try to replicate exactly what you are going to do when you decide to sell your harvests. Cos, the tomatoes produce quite fine, but to me they look too scanty to make it worth doing for profit. Therefore, you need to go on denser population..Or you find another variety which produces more. Thenafter, if you can manage your plants and they survive this weather, you know that yeahhhhh....you are good to go.

From what I have seen (your zeal), you have what it takes to try it. Just sit down and do a very good calculation to get the population per sqm that is needed to make it profitable. Then try to see how to go about it. By them you will know how to use your organic fungicides in divers ways. Of course, I will buzz you to tap knowledge too. lol. No one is above learning.

Bro, you are mining some nuggets of gold here. This can be turned to a successful pilot sir. And believe me, if you get it right, your followers will beg to invest in you by December. You will be the one to turn them down.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 15, 2019
Juliana7:

bro...you are a miner. Just mining information here and there. lol. I pray God the Almighty gives you the wisdom to put into practice all (knowledge) you are gathering. And then, you can have a deep understanding or what you want to do. Amen! By the way, are you a cucumber or tomato grower? Just curious, cos your questions make one think deeply many times.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:38pm On Jun 15, 2019
Pistotita:

Bro, are you planning to make profit from tomato? Or are you staying with growing it for personal consumption? If growing for personal consumption, you are on the right track. But if you want to make profit, the fruits on the plants in proportion to spacing are too scanty. Most people will survive producing for themselves, but you need to analyse the minimum yield per sqft of sqm of your farm. I suggest you try to replicate exactly what you are going to do when you decide to sell your harvests. Cos, the tomatoes produce quite fine, but to me they look too scanty to make it worth doing for profit. Therefore, you need to go on denser population..Or you find another variety which produces more. Thenafter, if you can manage your plants and they survive this weather, you know that yeahhhhh....you are good to go.

From what I have seen (your zeal), you have what it takes to try it. Just sit down and do a very good calculation to get the population per sqm that is needed to make it profitable. Then try to see how to go about it. By them you will know how to use your organic fungicides in divers ways. Of course, I will buzz you to tap knowledge too. lol. No one is above learning.

Bro, you are mining some nuggets of gold here. This can be turned to a successful pilot sir. And believe me, if you get it right, your followers will beg to invest in you by December. You will be the one to turn them down.

This should be my last phase in my pilot project. I have a 2plot I am currently prepping up for actual tomato farming against the last quarter of this year. And like you've said, I am certainly convinced I have all it takes to pull through.

I have made my choice on seed to use, though as advised, I will be planting alongside some hybrids. Made part payment for irrigation to cover the 2 plots. Mulching is also another aspect I am yet to convince myself on which to use but, before then I should come up with something. As for pests and diseases, i dey kampe!!! No shakings!!!

Can't wait but I am a very patient person so there's no rush until all materials/equipments are fully in place (Last quarter is my target). My target is 1hectare tomato farming in year 2024.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:48pm On Jun 15, 2019
Juliana7:
Just a few minutes of google search would bring virtually anything to your doorsteps, same goes for seeds. Even our popular e-commerce online store sells seeds though may not have the exact ones you are looking for.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jun 15, 2019
jidestroud:

This should be my last phase in my pilot project. I have a 2plot I am currently prepping up for actual tomato farming against the last quarter of this year. And like you've said, I am certainly convinced I have all it takes to pull through.

I have made my choice on seed to use, though as advised, I will be planting alongside some hybrids. Made part payment for irrigation to cover the 2 plots. Mulching is also another aspect I am yet to convince myself on which to use but, before then I should come up with something. As for pests and diseases, i dey kampe!!! No shakings!!!

Can't wait but I am a very patient person so there's no rush until all materials/equipments are fully in place (Last quarter is my target). My target is 1hectare tomato farming in year 2024.

I think you should use what works for you, not what people recommended. I use hybrids and OPV also. I am just concerned with the performance of those you presently have. The fruits are scanty. I'm sure you will pull it through. All the best bro.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Juliana7: 12:19am On Jun 16, 2019
Pistotita:

bro...you are a miner. Just mining information here and there. lol. I pray God the Almighty gives you the wisdom to put into practice all (knowledge) you are gathering. And then, you can have a deep understanding or what you want to do. Amen! By the way, are you a cucumber or tomato grower? Just curious, cos your questions make one think deeply many times.
lol. I just got a place ogami, not to far from lagos. So i need every info i can lay my hands on. Thanks Boss for availing urself for d likes of me to fetch from ur well/wealth of knowledge. Thanks
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Juliana7: 12:21am On Jun 16, 2019
jidestroud:

Just a few minutes of google search would bring virtually anything to your doorsteps, same goes for seeds. Even our popular e-commerce online store sells seeds though may not have the exact ones you are looking for.
thanks
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 2:22am On Jun 16, 2019
Juliana7:
lol. I just got a place ogami, not to far from lagos. So i need every info i can lay my hands on. Thanks Boss for availing urself for d likes of me to fetch from ur well/wealth of knowledge. Thanks

Please, just sit down at home and practise very well. I do not believe in training inside bush. I do not believe in not practising before going to farm. Do Your Home WORK well, formulate strategies that work for you. And keep improving. Be a scientist on your farm. Make me want to learn from you too sir. I believe you can do it.

For me, it's getting close to 70 tons per ha (2,000 35-kg baskets) should be the average yield of most farmers with the technologies around. While I am stretching to 120tons, I believe it is possible. Also, I am trying to see if 60 tons for Rio Grande is achievable. If yes, I am dumping all hybrids. And then, I will keep pushing it till I get to 120 tons. Might be I will have to start making my own hybrid. That is my next plan sir. Ordinary farmers who were not contended with seeds around made good varieties we are using today. Companies just bought the patent from the "exordinary" ordinarily farmers.

Best of luck sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 3:38am On Jun 16, 2019
Pistotita:

Please, just sit down at home and practise very well. I do not believe in training inside bush. I do not believe in not practising before going to farm. Do Your Home WORK well, formulate strategies that work for you. And keep improving. Be a scientist on your farm. Make me want to learn from you too sir. I believe you can do it.

For me, it's getting close to 70 tons per acre (2,000 35-kg baskets) should be the average yield of most farmers with the technologies around. While I am stretching to 120tons per acre, I believe it is possible. Also, I am trying to see if 60 tons for Rio Grande is achievable. If yes, I am dumping all hybrids. And then, I will keep pushing it till I get to 120 tons. Might be I will have to start making my own hybrid. That is my next plan sir. Ordinary farmers who were not contended with seeds around made good varieties we are using today. Companies just bought the patent from the "exordinary" ordinarily farmers.

Best of luck sir.

Which variety gives you that result?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 7:08am On Jun 16, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Per ha.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by FMCASH(m): 9:56am On Jun 16, 2019
Pistotita:

For me, it's getting close to 70 tons per ha (2,000 35-kg baskets) should be the average yield of most farmers with the technologies around. While I am stretching to 120tons, I believe it is possible. Also, I am trying to see if 60 tons for Rio Grande is achievable. If yes, I am dumping all hybrids. And then, I will keep pushing it till I get to 120 tons. Might be I will have to start making my own hybrid. That is my next plan sir. Ordinary farmers who were not contended with seeds around made good varieties we are using today. Companies just bought the patent from the "exordinary" ordinarily farmers.

Best of luck sir.

great vibes, you always speak out all my thought from every comment you do made and I've learnt alot from you, respect boss.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by FMCASH(m): 10:01am On Jun 16, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

any hybrid can gives you 2.8kg per plant if well managed
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 16, 2019
FMCASH:
any hybrid can gives you 2.8kg per plant if well managed

2.8kg per plant --> This is the standard seed sellers gave us. If your add 20% to cover loss due to damages, you arrive at 30,000 plant population exactly..This is the way Asian Seed makers think. I kinda like how you easily grab ideas. We need more people like you. Just look at how you quickly quantify it. And you realise that with what you have seen, most hybrids can achieve it. Therefore, all you need is to plan on how to fight diseases, manage workers very well, and project sales to your favor. Simple as ABC when you know what you are doing, and not working blindly expecting millions unreasonably. If you go on a pilot on one plot, and you can predict what you will face on 1 ha, snd replicate it all in your pilot, believe me, you will make at least 40 tons per ha nicely. That is still some cra.zy cash. Not 2 tons per hectare 99.9% so called consultants make. And the next is: Come inside my bush and learn veggie production. grin

But I prefer Israel and American new style which India adopted recently. For tomato, I give it to Israel. What about increasing average yield to 6.9kg per plant, so you can have 10,000 plants and achieve 70 tons. Or you stretch it further to hit over 120 tons from just 10,000 plants.

High Nutrient = High Yield.
Too much salt from inorganic fertilizer = acidic soil. Nutrients available will not be absorbed.

Solution: Bombard your soil with manure so that you have already diluted it before planting. Mix basal very well. And feed them high. By the end of the season, your soil will just start becoming a bit acidic, but if you are able to balance it well with ph corrector, that's the best.

Tell me why you cannot hit over 100 tons per hectare if you provide a good fight against bacterial wilt (no chemical can kill it). If you prepare towards making your plants resist flood and drought, why will they just wilt all of sudden.

My people, stop wasting your time in the bush, wasting money in the name of starting small. Farming is not for you. Go and look for something else to do. I strongly believe that if you cannot afford to install drip, mulch, fertigation, and buy various nutrients, you are wasting your time in the bush. If you cannot have patience to use 2 months for preparing your soil and nursery, you are joking. You better learn how to use compost instead of manure. You better get the correct microbes your soil lacks due to your terrible agro practice before you embark on.any project. Test your soil to know which way to go, and quit guess work. Using 2 million naira for 1 hectare is not too much. If you cannot afford it, don't do it. I just see many jokers on farms. People that should be cultivating the likes of Nigerian green leaves in front of their houses are trying to force their way into tomato on 3 ha in the bush. A dey laugh in Swahili. grin What is what doing is what doing well.

This is 2019, and you are farming like people in 1920s, yet you are abusing Buhari that there is no growth in Nigeria. So, what about you? Are you not even ashamed with the way you are farming like you are extremely poor? You ride 1 hour on bike to your farm daily becos the road is bad. lol. You better go find palm wine and sit under a tree, and drink yourself to whatever, instead of wasting your time and energy in the bush.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by austinomd(m): 2:30pm On Jun 16, 2019
Good Day all and well-done to the OP, its such a nice thread you have here.

Please I want to make a passionate appeal to all the learned farmers in the house, I've learnt allot from many of the post here on nairaland, but I need a farm where I can gain practical knowledge of vegetable farming here in Lagos, going out of Lagos is not easy for me now since I live and work in Lagos.

Please kindly link me with any Lagos based farm that you know.

God bless you as you help a brother.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by CNN80: 8:37am On Jun 18, 2019
Thank you. I appreciate the info.

jidestroud:

Thanks for the review.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by FMCASH(m): 11:48pm On Jun 28, 2019
Bro, how far with your tomatoes (cobra 26 and rodeo 62 f1)
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:14pm On Jun 29, 2019
FMCASH:
Bro, how far with your tomatoes (cobra 26 and rodeo 62 f1)
Doing perfectly okay, most are at the breaker stage at the moment. Will be waiting to get to the red all ripe stage before harvesting.

Will upload pictures later tomorrow.
Thanks for the check up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.