Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120459 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by bosunjohns(m): 12:41pm On Jul 18, 2019
jidestroud:

Really? Please share the link.
Hi thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I want to know, why did you put the tomato seeds in the coke bottle? Why not just put in the soil? I believe it will also grow..
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Cocoboms(m): 7:39pm On Jul 21, 2019
Hi all. Happy weekend. I apologize to the OP for derailing the thread a bit. Please house, I have this new 20 litres Motorised knapsack sprayer for sale. I'm selling it at 62k (negotiable).

I'm in abuja. Can deliver nationwide. Pics are below. Check my profile for my contact. Thanks!

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by bosunjohns(m): 9:29am On Jul 23, 2019
jidestroud:

There are a few things I do when prepping the land for transplant.

1. I add lots and lots of compost to my soil. Luckily for me, I have got it in abundance from a poultry site.

2. When transplanting, I am not one of those who wets the soil around it. I observed that adding water increases the chances of the roots cutting off due to heavy wet soil.

3. I usually start transplanting when plant height is about 5inches. And I make sure I bury the stem of the plant to almost where I have the first leaves.

Note: When transplanting, I make sure I study the seeds information to know what the actual plant looks like. This helps a lot in working out the spacings to adopt. Also helps in staking methods. Unfortunately, I ignored that of Rodeo 62 f1 and I paid dearly for it cry

4. Another thing I observe now is doing my stake before transplanting. This helps eliminate destruction of new roots emerging as a roots of putting stakes around the plants after it has already been planted[/b].

5. Cutting off all lower leaves close to the ground is a thing I always do.

6. Lastly, I now mulch my tomatoes in my garden. Well, still observing how wood chips affects my tomato plants in the long run. Nevertheless, I still incorporate compost like every other week with addition of bone meal just once.

O yeah, I did add Neem cakes to my soil in the land prep. Got the contact of one of the people supplying neem oil to one of the Agro stores around. So, getting the neem seed cakes was easy.
Also made some myself.

Hi, thank for the insights. Do you have a separate thread about how to build compost or manure?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:24pm On Aug 08, 2019
Update

Its been a while I update this space of mine. I have been preoccupied with series of projects and it has all been work work work for me in the agricultural world. Nevertheless, I do drop in once in a while to do a little catching on the dramas playing in the agro-sector of Nairaland.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:26pm On Aug 08, 2019
bosunjohns:

Hi, thank for the insights. Do you have a separate thread about how to build compost or manure?

None at the moment. But I am almost propelled to give a detailed account of how I get my composted manures over the years.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by bosunjohns(m): 3:44pm On Aug 09, 2019
jidestroud:

None at the moment. But I am almost propelled to give a detailed account of how I get my composted manures over the years.

Please do. God bless.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by AbundantGrains: 10:05pm On Aug 22, 2019
Seun:
You can probably start small now. Buy some flower pots, fill them with soil or potting mix, and get to work!
How did you get your first few members of Nairaland?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by imhere: 11:47am On Aug 27, 2019
Parsley farming is another area to consider when it comes to commercial vegetable farming. Parsley is a herb plant used not only for spicing food but for medicinal purposes too. The awareness is growing so also is the demand, that is why you will make good money out of it.
Learn how to start commercial parsley farming here
https://www.enibest.com.ng/all-posts/agriculture/parsley-farming-in-nigeria/

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 2:20pm On Sep 19, 2019
Been a long while, so many things happening behind the curtains. Can't wait to bring everyone in on it.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by ideepaul: 1:49pm On Dec 02, 2019
jidestroud:
Been a long while, so many things happening behind the curtains. Can't wait to bring everyone in on it.
we are patiently waiting! I hope it's not another abandoned thread
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:06pm On Dec 03, 2019
ideepaul:

we are patiently waiting! I hope it's not another abandoned thread
Lol

Not in the very least. Just bn so preoccupied with so many things happening all at once. Nevertheless, updates would start rolling in soonest.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by ideepaul: 5:17pm On Dec 04, 2019
jidestroud:

Lol

Not in the very least. Just bn so preoccupied with so many things happening all at once. Nevertheless, updates would start rolling in soonest.
I am patiently waiting!
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:44pm On May 03, 2020
jidestroud:

Lol

Yes oooooo... updates to start rolling in soonest.
Chai, this covid19 lockdown series hasn't been friendly on farmers ooo!!! But, we are scaling through. All thanks to the various groups who partnered with us to help offload our excess crude product to the various markets used as relief packages. (My sincere gratitude to all who made the project work).

For this phase of planting about to startup, I will be maximizing this partial lifting of the lockdown to visit the AgriTropic office closeby to shop some seeds. I hope to get something intresting to grow anyways grin.

Wish me luck!!! cool wink
#StaySafe #StayOrganic
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Gabzi28: 9:13pm On May 06, 2020
jidestroud:

Yes oooooo... updates to start rolling in soonest.
Chai, this covid19 lockdown series hasn't been friendly on farmers ooo!!! But, we are scaling through. All thanks to the various groups who partnered with us to help offload our excess crude product to the various markets used as relief packages. (My sincere gratitude to all who made the project work).

For this phase of planting about to startup, I will be maximizing this partial lifting of the lockdown to visit the AgriTropic office closeby to shop some seeds. I hope to get something intresting to grow anyways grin.

Wish me luck!!! cool wink
#StaySafe #StayOrganic

good luck
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by MoreTech(m): 9:30pm On May 06, 2020
@Jidestroud, pls I don't know if there are some Agro shop around Agric bus stop along the badagry express way because you once told me that but when I went there it was only Lagos State outlet that are really selling stuffs even at that only few things I could see.

pls I will need more direction . thanks
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:15pm On May 06, 2020
MoreTech:
@Jidestroud, pls I don't know if there are some Agro shop around Agric bus stop along the badagry express way because you once told me that but when I went there it was only Lagos State outlet that are really selling stuffs even at that only few things I could see.

pls I will need more direction . thanks

Yes there is an AgriTropic office right on the street behind the Lagos state complex nto too far from the Agric B/Stop. I will send a mail with the contact's number to you. You could chat her up on WhatsApp.
Likewise, there's another outlet at the Agbara New Complex just beside the road.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Kenny9857(m): 7:46am On May 07, 2020
Pavore9:

Ugu is the right local common name for the fluted pumpkin, the Yorubas mispronounce it due to accent. Ugwu means hill.
In your own language sir.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by MoreTech(m): 7:53am On May 07, 2020
jidestroud:

Yes there is an AgriTropic office right on the street behind the Lagos state complex nto too far from the Agric B/Stop. I will send a mail with the contact's number to you. You could chat her up on WhatsApp.
Likewise, there's another outlet at the Agbara New Complex just beside the road.

thanks very much Jidestroud , I am great ful . I am the one who came to meet you in Adeniran ogunsanya sometimes ago.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by MoreTech(m): 7:54am On May 07, 2020
jidestroud:

pls I will be expecting the contact.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Pavore9: 8:09am On May 07, 2020
Kenny9857:

In your own language sir.

Please enlighten me on the language that call it ugwu
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:19am On May 07, 2020
MoreTech:

pls I will be expecting the contact.

I just sent the mail across.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Kenny9857(m): 4:55pm On May 07, 2020
Pavore9:

Please enlighten me on the language that call it ugwu

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:15pm On May 07, 2020
Kenny9857:

Na we borrow the word oooo. Na Ibo's get the word ooooo.
Lol grin Ugwu is a yoruba tingy jor cry cry cry (although, the right spelling is Ugu)
Fluted pumpkin is known as Eweroko in yoruba land. grin. We just killed the spelling grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. Oya take correction.

That settles it.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Kenny9857(m): 7:42pm On May 07, 2020
jidestroud:

Na we borrow the word oooo. Na Ibo's get the word ooooo.
Lol grin Ugwu is a yoruba tingy jor cry cry cry (although, the right spelling is Ugu)
Fluted pumpkin is known as Eweroko in yoruba land. grin. We just killed the spelling grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. Oya take correction.

That settles it.

Okay sir... grin grin grin grin grin wink cheesy wink
Ibo pipu abeg pardon my ignorance ooo
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by MoreTech(m): 9:35pm On May 08, 2020
jidestroud:

Dear Jidestroud, pls the email you sent to me on NL I can not view it because I don't know how it works when I clicked on it it took me to my personal Yahoo mail and yet I did not see the message. pls kindly resend to me through my phone number on 08028100266.

thanks.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by MoreTech(m): 9:39pm On May 08, 2020
jidestroud:

Dear Jidestroud, pls the message you sent to me through NL email I can not view it simply because I don't know how it works when I clicked on the link it took me to my personal Yahoo mail yet I did not see the message. if you don't mind kindly help resend the message through my phone number on 08028100266.

thanks and God bless
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 11:34am On May 09, 2020
MoreTech:

Dear Jidestroud, pls the message you sent to me through NL email I can not view it simply because I don't know how it works when I clicked on the link it took me to my personal Yahoo mail yet I did not see the message. if you don't mind kindly help resend the message through my phone number on 08028100266.

thanks and God bless

Send a mail to me on iclones@hotmail.com
I tried your mail, but it ain't going through.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by MoreTech(m): 7:48pm On May 10, 2020
jidestroud:

Send a mail to me on iclones@hotmail.com I tried your mail, but it ain't going through.
I just send email to you now
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 11:37pm On May 10, 2020
MoreTech:

I just send email to you now
Replied.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 11:14am On May 16, 2020
2020 Planting Activities Begins Today
grin grin grin

Okay, it was a tough decision for me to make up my mind on which tomato variety to grow. After much deliberation and going through the available(s) over and over again, I opted for;

TOMATOES

1. Kanon F1

Maturity: 70 - 75
Determinate
Average weight: 120 - 150g

TYLCV - IR
TMV - HR
CMV - HR
F - 0 - HR
F - 1 - HR
V - HR

2. Rodeo 62 F1

Determinate
Average weight: 180 - 220g

TYLCV - IR
TMV - HR
CMV - HR
F - 0 - HR
N - HR
V - HR

PEPPER

1.Avenir F1

Maturity: 55
Average weight: 20g

TMV(o)- HR
N - IR

2. Big Sun

Maturity: 50 - 55
Average weight: 15g

TMV(0)- HR

That's all for now.

(Got cabbages on my mind)
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 11:16am On May 16, 2020
Tomatoes planted already.

Pepper will have its time tomorrow. (Picking one seed at a time is serious work jare. I need to rest angry )
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by OluchiDelly: 1:01pm On May 16, 2020
jidestroud:
2020 Planting Activities Begins Today
grin grin grin

Okay, it was a tough decision for me to make up my mind on which tomato variety to grow. After much deliberation and going through the available(s) over and over again, I opted for;

TOMATOES

1. Kanon F1

Determinate
Average weight: 120 - 150g

TYLCV - IR
TMV - HR
CMV - HR
F - 0 - HR
F - 1 - HR
V - HR

2. Rodeo 62 F1

Determinate
Average weight: 180 - 220g

TYLCV - IR
TMV - HR
CMV - HR
F - 0 - HR
N - HR
V - HR

PEPPER

1.Avenir F1

Maturity: 55
Average weight: 20g

TMV(o)- HR
N - IR

2. Big Sun

Maturity: 50 - 55
Average weight: 15g

TMV(0)- HR

That's all for now.

(Got cabbages on my mind)

How much is the rodeo and kanon seeds bro?
Btw, your kuroiler thread enter FP today, how are we celebrating it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.