Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,842 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120289 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by samzx: 11:36am On May 28, 2017
Yes boss d chicken drops has bn kept for over a year
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:21pm On May 28, 2017
samzx:
Yes boss d chicken drops has bn kept for over a year

Okay then. I hope it has composted very well? i.e, it no longer smells, should smell like fresh good soil, be dark in color and looks like soil etc. Then you have a good compost.
Can't wait to see and pick a thing or two from your cucumber proposed farm. All the best
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 10:06pm On May 28, 2017
jidestroud:
That's the Lagos spinach popularly called soko (sokoyokoto)
Thanks! How long did it take for them to get to that size after planting the tiny seeds?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Bluette(f): 11:33pm On May 28, 2017
wow so beautiful, i love ds welldone O.P
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:41am On May 29, 2017
Seun:
Thanks! How long did it take for them to get to that size after planting the tiny seeds?
Today makes it a month and 14days.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:43am On May 29, 2017
Bluette:
wow so beautiful, i love ds
welldone O.P
I'm honoured. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by funso4life(m): 4:49am On May 29, 2017
pls i need urgent reply ,i want to know any other crop that i can plant with maize and cassava because i want to use 1hectare of land to plant maize and cassava on it am also looking for any other plant i can plant with it ,which will enable me to use chemical for weeding without affecting any of the crops,kindly specify the name of the chemical i can use.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 8:56am On May 29, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 5. (Discarding my urea fertilizer)

There isn't much activities on my proposed garden for now. Still waiting for my plants to add more leaves (tomato and lagos spinach seedling)

I need more compost (made from my chicken manure for a 9months). This would be needed to grow my tomato seeds in bags.

NOTE: Compost soil: Organic fertilizer (Not same as fresh chicken manure). This was achieved through the use of digging a hole and pouring my chicken manure into it, leaves and cut grasses where also added. Then covered with a black nylon. I did poured water into the soil weekly and cover back up. This process was continued for a duration of 9-10months. And voila...this is the end product.
You are a fraud. This post alone shows that you​ are packaging and hiding some things.... So you have compost manure made over nine months!
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 8:58am On May 29, 2017
rajowski:
following with keen interest. well done
There's nothing to follow here...op has a lot of things hidden
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by mukhcech(m): 9:51am On May 29, 2017
angels09:

There's nothing to follow here...op has a lot of things hidden

Your accusations are strong o. Buh come to think of agriculture is practical. Have you hput anything he said into practice that you didnt achieve the desired results.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 10:19am On May 29, 2017
mukhcech:

Your accusations are strong o. Buh come to think of agriculture is practical. Have you hput anything he said into practice that you didnt achieve the desired results.
Agriculture is my hobby. He should quit ambushing people with information... But present it in a chronological order....
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:23am On May 29, 2017
angels09:

You are a fraud. This post alone shows that you​ are packaging and hiding some things.... So you have compost manure made over nine months!
Please lay your accusations with facts.

General Time Frame
The process of composting and stabilizing manure usually takes around six months, notes University of Minnesota Extension. The first step, building a compost pile and allowing it to heat, can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks. The temperature inside the compost pile should remain stable at 130 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 21 days to kill potential pathogens and weed seeds. Once the manure is composted, transfer it to a curing bin. In the curing bin, it continues to decompose for another two to six months.
Link: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/long-compost-manure-74833.html

Just in case you chose to be a doubting Thomas you are very welcomed to visit my compost pile.
Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:33am On May 29, 2017
angels09:

Agriculture is my hobby. He should quit ambushing people with information... But present it in a chronological order....
First of all, I am not a trained farmer, neither do I have any agricultural affiliations or prior knowledge other than the ones I have painstakingly read up online in publications/blogs/nairaland /YouTube videos, respected farmers and farm site visitations. And I have given a timeline of my actives thus far. Please Mr agriculture is my hobby, pls show me your achievement in Ur self proclaimed hobby, only then can we relate, *you never can tell, I could learn from you too.
Thanks

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:34am On May 29, 2017
mukhcech:

Your accusations are strong o. But come to think of agriculture is practical. Have you put anything he said into practice that you didn't achieve the desired results.

Thanks sir. I wonder where the hate is coming from lipsrsealed undecided

4 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by mukhcech(m): 10:40am On May 29, 2017
angels09:

Calm down and follow the thread gently. You seem to be in haste to achieve similar results with the OP. Whether chronological order or not. Em sure you are learning what wont have been available to u if u didn't follow this thread. I, myself have been trying to put the bits and pieces of info together even tho em the busy type. I will ambush op too soon will questions. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 10:49am On May 29, 2017
jidestroud:

First of all, I am not a trained farmer, neither do I have any agricultural affiliations or prior knowledge other than the ones I have painstakingly read up online in publications/blogs/nairaland /YouTube videos, respected farmers and farm site visitations. And I have given a timeline of my actives thus far. Please Mr agriculture is my hobby, pls show me your achievement in Ur self proclaimed hobby, only then can we related, *you never can tell, I could learn from you too.
Thanks
It is possible. But learn to present your tales chronologically​.... It's not good to forget that you had a dump of manure before opening the thread.... Next time always start from the very beginning...
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 10:50am On May 29, 2017
jidestroud:

Thanks sir. I wonder where the hate is coming from lipsrsealed undecided
I don't hate you. I just dislike your half-truths.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 10:56am On May 29, 2017
jidestroud:

General Time Frame
The process of composting and stabilizing manure usually takes around six months, notes University of Minnesota Extension. The first step, building a compost pile and allowing it to heat, can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks. The temperature inside the compost pile should remain stable at 130 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 21 days to kill potential pathogens and weed seeds. Once the manure is composted, transfer it to a curing bin. In the curing bin, it continues to decompose for another two to six months.

Just in case you chose to be a doubting Thomas you are very welcomed to visit my compost pile.
Thank you.
This should be on your first page...
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by adisabarber(m): 12:08pm On May 29, 2017
Mr. Man, get the hell out of this thread and leave OP to continue sharing knowledge with people that appreciate his effort. Give us links to threads that you have created to share your knowledge with people. I guess you have none. Someone is using his time to give people an idea of how to start their own gardens and you just came from nowhere to start insulting him. Who or what are you? People like you will prefer to sell silly e-books than help other people free of charge but will still criticize someone dedicating his time to help others.

angels09:

This should be on your first page...

14 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by adisabarber(m): 12:11pm On May 29, 2017
Looks like you have time to respond to irresponsible people. You owe nobody any explanation because you did not collect money from anyone. How can someone accuse you of fraud for using your own time to share your knowledge with people?

jidestroud:

General Time Frame

Thank you.

12 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 29, 2017
adisabarber:
Mr. Man, get the hell out of this thread and leave OP to continue sharing knowledge with people that appreciate his effort. Give us links to threads that you have created to share your knowledge with people. I guess you have none. Someone is using his time to give people an idea of how to start their own gardens and you just came from nowhere to start insulting him. Who or what are you? People like you will prefer to sell silly e-books than help other people free of charge but will still criticize someone dedicating his time to help others.

Kip kwayet
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 9:04pm On May 29, 2017
Please OP kindly defraud me with your wonderful ideas, I'm loving this ur garden setup..

Ignore any form of distraction on this thread pls.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 9:30pm On May 29, 2017
Did you put all in a single jar ?

jidestroud:

Finally, exactly 11days after, desired rooting system have been gotten. Patience pays after all, it's time to transplant my basil into proper nursing pots (bags).

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:44am On May 30, 2017
Ndbc:
Did you put all in a single jar ?

Yes, a single glass jar was used. Just make sure the stems are suspended into the water and check regularly to top up the water.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by samzx: 6:56am On May 30, 2017
jidestroud:

Okay then. I hope it has composted very well? i.e, it no longer smells, should smell like fresh good soil, be dark in color and looks like soil etc. Then you have a good compost.
Can't wait to see and pick a thing or two from your cucumber proposed farm. All the best

Thanks I ve planted 78bags yesterday. Day 1......
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:12am On May 30, 2017
samzx:

Thanks I ve planted 78bags yesterday. Day 1......
Great!!!...hoping to get regular updates from your farm. God's speed. cool

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:28am On May 30, 2017
Day 46 (caterpillar worms infestation)

Caterpillars, also referred to as worms, are the immature life stage of butterflies and moths. Most of the caterpillars that are pests of vegetable crops are moth caterpillars. Woke up this morning just to see the damage this beautiful creatures have done to my Lagos spinach plants. Gussssh!!! Every Gardeners/farmers nightmare!!!

Since I have made up my mind to go organic as much as possible, and also make do with home made insecticides, time to make neem leaf solution with a little addition of soap.
I had to hand pick as much as possible (not an option for a large size farm. Mine is just a small garden)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:33am On May 30, 2017
Other ways to fight caterpillars includes...

1 Handpick caterpillars from plants as you find them.

2 Spray the foliage of plants with neem oil.

3 Dust plant foliage with Bacillus thuringiensis, or Bt, powder

4 Invite birds and predatory insects into your garden.

5 Surround seedlings with a rigid collar, such as a toilet paper roll or plastic cup, to ward off cutworms.

6 Lay a sheet of cardboard or plywood on the ground near your plants.

7 Shield plants with sheets of porous polyester fabric.

8 Plant herbs and flowers around your garden to repel caterpillars.

9 Practice crop rotation to cut down on caterpillar infestation.

Things You Will Need
Bucket
Dish soap
Neem oil
Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) powder
Plastic cups or toilet paper rolls
Cardboard or plywood
Porous polyester sheets

Soucre: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/rid-caterpillars-pesticides-plants-29475.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 2:03pm On May 30, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 46 (caterpillar worms infestation)

Caterpillars, also referred to as worms, are the immature life stage of butterflies and moths. Most of the caterpillars that are pests of vegetable crops are moth caterpillars. Woke up this morning just to see the damage this beautiful creatures have done to my Lagos spinach plants. Gussssh!!! Every Gardeners/farmers nightmare!!!

Since I have made up my mind to go organic as much as possible, and also make do with home made insecticides, time to make neem leaf solution with a little addition of soap.
I had to hand pick as much as possible (not an option for a large size farm. Mine is just a small garden)
nice one OP i lovr what you are doing. i have few advice for u.
1. for the scent leaf plant u can propergate either by seedlings or by cutting a matured stem into at least 5-7cm and plant in a rich soil with good compost.
to extract seedlings allow the new plants to flourish and produce fruits, then let it mature and dry on its own, harvest. when u harvest get a plate robb the harvested dry flower part of the leaf and watch ur seeds fell off. then go ahead to broadcast your seed in sack filled with a compost and good soil. watch ur numerous numbers germinate in fee days and hrow down to transplanting.

2. for the caterpillar and insects attack on your amaranth (soko) use neem oil in a solution of black soap lather and spray. it just best organic approach. u may need to ground hot pepper.
thanks. keep up the work am following.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.