Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,968 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120449 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Benyfil(m): 7:10pm On Aug 20, 2020
Xlyad:
Good quality seeds are basin,port and calabar in that order. They are costly now. Basin will become cheaper between month end and mid next month.Note: itis far far better to buy costly ugu seeds than bad seeds.

Thanks alot for the advice. My concern has always been; how to identify these seeds, I only trust the buyer when he/she says its a good seed etc. Most times, its not always so. Are there ways to identify them?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Xlyad(m): 9:47pm On Aug 20, 2020
Benyfil:

Thanks alot for the advice. My concern has always been; how to identify these seeds, I only trust the buyer when he/she says its a good seed etc. Most times, its not always so. Are there ways to identify them?
Generally basin and port have smaller seeds than Calabar and the two are almost of same quality. However some seed sellers select tiny Calabar seeds to mix with basin. The good bet is to buy from trusted seed sellers. A better way to differentiate amongst them is that the pod of basin are smaller and more round compared to calabar port that are bigger and more conical in shape.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Benyfil(m): 8:12am On Aug 21, 2020
Xlyad:
Generally basin and port have smaller seeds than Calabar and the two are almost of same quality. However some seed sellers select tiny Calabar seeds to mix with basin. The good bet is to buy from trusted seed sellers. A better way to differentiate amongst them is that the pod of basin are smaller and more round compared to calabar port that are bigger and more conical in shape.

Thank you
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Knoxxwood: 4:34pm On Sep 12, 2020
Pls my ogas. My organic sack tomatoe garden started withering. What can i do as a remedy

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:09pm On Sep 12, 2020
Knoxxwood:
Pls my ogas. My organic sack tomatoe garden started withering. What can i do as a remedy
Leaf miners at work grin. Those miners are so troublesome grin. The real danger leaf miners pose to your tomato plants is the introduction of bacteria or fungi through their cuts, causing the leaves to turn yellow.

What I will do?
Check your plants regularly and cut of affected leaves at the very sight of their activies.

Spray my tomato plants with neem oil (I said neem oil). I try as much as possible to avoid the spray of chemicals.

Lastly, I also make sure I bombard my soil with enough compost, so as to increase organic activities of my soil. This in itself helps encourage beneficiary insects to help keep things in control.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Knoxxwood: 6:23pm On Sep 12, 2020
Can i use rabbit urine. Its all over.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:10pm On Sep 12, 2020
Knoxxwood:
Can i use rabbit urine. Its all over.
I have never used it personally, but read a couple of research on its usage to control pests and diseases. Do take precautions in its application like every other control methods used.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by safarifarms(m): 12:12am On Sep 16, 2020
Did you get any Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) product?
jidestroud:
Day 50 (Corn update - Corn earworm prevention)

Today makes it 44days after planting. My Corn have started to develop ears, so it's time to take necessary precautions against the every Corn farmer's nightmares; Corn earworms.

I checked out about 7 agricultural outlets to get any Bt products (Bacillus thuringiensis), to my greatest surprise I couldn't. They kept referring and referring. Sad morning it turned out to be.

Improvisation;
I will be using just vegetable oil instead.

Goodness, at least I got a pressure spray 2litre bottle.

Additional garden cost:
2litre pressure spray bottle = N1500
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Petyr1: 1:49pm On Sep 19, 2020
please i need ugu seed and Lagos or Africa spinach seed in Lagos
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Emmafly(m): 5:25pm On Sep 25, 2020
Petyr1:
please i need ugu seed and Lagos or Africa spinach seed in Lagos

Dear ugu farmers,

Some of the broad leaf seeds is now available for transportation from imo state to lagos.

Current price is still N35 per seed.

Emmanuel 08183549869. Call/WhatsApp

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by FarmandTractors: 7:28pm On Sep 25, 2020
At Farm&Tractors, we offer the best service in agricultural land preparations for your farm projects. Our services cut across land deforestation-bulldozing, plowing, harrowing etc. All tree growth, stumps, large stones and other obstacles to the normal operation of farm equipment shall be completely removed. Land clearing method shall limit the loss of topsoil removed from the area being cleared. Debris piles shall also be free from mud and topsoil.

The land shall be sufficiently level to permit the normal operation of farm equipment and the area must be ready for seed bed preparation. We deliver good service nationwide. We get the job done irrespective of the land location.
Contact us for your quality land clearing-09056508129, (08062288737 -available on whatsApp).

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Petyr1: 8:46pm On Sep 25, 2020
Emmafly:

Dear ugu farmers,

Some of the broad leaf seeds is now available for transportation from imo state to lagos.

Current price is still N35 per seed.

Emmanuel 08183549869. Call/WhatsApp
how much for transporting to Lagos
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by FarmTech(m): 11:03pm On Sep 25, 2020
jidestroud:

Leaf miners at work grin. Those miners are so troublesome grin. The real danger leaf miners pose to your tomato plants is the introduction of bacteria or fungi through their cuts, causing the leaves to turn yellow.

What I will do?
Check your plants regularly and cut of affected leaves at the very sight of their activies.

Spray my tomato plants with neem oil (I said neem oil). I try as much as possible to avoid the spray of chemicals.

Lastly, I also make sure I bombard my soil with enough compost, so as to increase organic activities of my soil. This in itself helps encourage beneficiary insects to help keep things in control.

How much do u buy neem oil and where?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Emmafly(m): 6:34am On Sep 26, 2020
Petyr1:
how much for transporting to Lagos

@petyr1 , it depends on the quantity of ugu seeds you are buying. If it is a handy quantity of at most one semolina bag which is like 1500 seeds, you will pay around #1000 to #1,500. But nevertheless this one that will come in this weekend is majorly owned by me so I am not sharing transport cost with other mini buyers. The variety is what is more important to me right now.

Emmanuel 08183549869
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oneroflo57(m): 7:23pm On Sep 26, 2020
@Jidestroud what you have done here is quite superb
I stumbled on this thread by mistake and i couldn't stop reading it until today
What i loved most us the continuity of the thread even though you got superbusy you didn't abandon it

i even have land in front of my house wasting for 2 years plus since i moved here clearing grass and also applying chemical continuously to prevent bush from growing but they still grow

I am interested in tomato and sweet pepper farming
i would most definitely like to get in touch with you

I even leave around that lasu area

Ones again kudos � � � �
You are doing well

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Petyr1: 9:10pm On Sep 29, 2020
Emmafly:

@petyr1 , it depends on the quantity of ugu seeds you are buying. If it is a handy quantity of at most one semolina bag which is like 1500 seeds, you will pay around #1000 to #1,500. But nevertheless this one that will come in this weekend is majorly owned by me so I am not sharing transport cost with other mini buyers. The variety is what is more important to me right now.

Emmanuel 08183549869
great but I'm not buying up to 1500 seeds. i just need some seed for my backyard or mini farm. i don't need more than 5 -10 seeds
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 9:27pm On Sep 29, 2020
Petyr1:
great but I'm not buying up to 1500 seeds. i just need some seed for my backyard or mini farm. i don't need more than 5 -10 seeds

Same here bro. I just need minimal quantity for my backyard garden.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Emmafly(m): 8:24am On Sep 30, 2020
Petyr1:

@Petyr1, please confirm your location to me thru whatsapp for privacy purpose so we can discuss how to send the ugu seeds over for your backyard garden.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Emmafly(m): 8:31am On Sep 30, 2020
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

Same here bro. I just need minimal quantity for my backyard garden.

@zxcvbnmlkjhgfds, please which state are you at and what quantity do you want exactly.

Please reply through this forum so that others can follow suit.

We can always work things out.

Emmanuel 08183549869.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 2:44pm On Sep 30, 2020
Emmafly:

@zxcvbnmlkjhgfds, please which state are you at and what quantity do you want exactly.

Emmanuel 08183549869.

I'm situated in Abeokuta Ogun state. I need a minimum of 10 seeds
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Adlac(m): 5:32pm On Sep 30, 2020
Emmafly:

Emmanuel 08183549869.

Emmanuel, This particular seed is what you have?? If yes,

how much for paint bucket?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Emmafly(m): 8:35am On Oct 02, 2020
Adlac:

Adlac:

@Adlac, I wish I could sell ugu in paint buckets but I may end up looking as if I cheated the buyer.

For me, as a person that understand what investment of hard earned money is, i will advise you do not buy your seeds in measurement buckets online except you are physically where the pods will be broken and measured.

I have once been a victim of this on this forum ( check my posts for the complaints) and I will not want to do this to others.

It is either the measurements are not complete or only big ugu seeds are selected to fill up the bucket, etc

So it's an advise to all.

Emmanuel 08183549869

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Razkyd(m): 12:18pm On Oct 02, 2020
Plz how much is paint rubber of ugu seeds?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Emmafly(m): 8:28am On Oct 08, 2020
Razkyd:
Plz how much is paint rubber of ugu seeds?

Broad leaf Ugu seed and seedlings available from the south east.

Am based in Lagos though. So I can supply both South East and south west states.

These are just 10days old from planting.

Emmanuel +2348183549869

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Emmafly(m): 6:40am On Oct 11, 2020
Emmafly:

Broad leaf Ugu seed and seedlings available from the south east.

Am based in Lagos though. So I can supply both South East and south west states.

These are just 10days old from planting.

Emmanuel +2348183549869

Progress of the seeds at 13 days

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:06pm On Oct 25, 2020
It's been one of the greatest times to be a vegetables farmer.

May His mercies keep us in trying times.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Petyr1: 8:00am On Oct 26, 2020
any preventive method for grasshoppers attack? those guys are disturbing my garden
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by adedapodvirus001(m): 5:38pm On Nov 01, 2020
Good afternoon house. Please I need 1 plot of farmland for rent between Isheri and Iyana-iba.

If you have please drop your contact and I will give you a call.

Thank you.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Richfarmer(m): 3:33pm On Nov 06, 2020
Please can someone here explain to me more about spinach farming,
i can hardly find any useful topic about it here on nairaland
why is it not cultivated more unlike cucumbers and peppers?
Is it that there is no market for it or the profit dont just add up.
Where can one market it or source for sure buyers.
I need a thorough research before Investing in it,
and also where can the seeds be bought from? thanks
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by numen(m): 10:44pm On Nov 13, 2020
Bro please where can one find info on these tomato varieties? I checked technisem website without success. Thanks.

jidestroud:
2020 Planting Activities Begins Today
grin grin grin

Okay, it was a tough decision for me to make up my mind on which tomato variety to grow. After much deliberation and going through the available(s) over and over again, I opted for;

TOMATOES

1. Kanon F1

Maturity: 70 - 75
Determinate
Average weight: 120 - 150g

TYLCV - IR
TMV - HR
CMV - HR
F - 0 - HR
F - 1 - HR
V - HR

2. Rodeo 62 F1

Maturity: 70 - 75
Determinate
Average weight: 180 - 220g

TYLCV - IR
TMV - HR
CMV - HR
F - 0 - HR
N - HR
V - HR

PEPPER

1.Avenir F1

Maturity: 55
Average weight: 20g

TMV(o)- HR
N - IR

2. Big Sun

Maturity: 50 - 55
Average weight: 15g

TMV(0)- HR

That's all for now.

(Got cabbages on my mind)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by olalubi(m): 11:35pm On Nov 13, 2020
Thank you so much for sharing this experience you have save life

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.