Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120518 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ademat7(m): 9:40pm On Jul 04, 2017
damikay87:
I have a small maize plantation at the back of my house and it's 3weeks now after the plantation I notice that the leaf are turning yellow I don't no what is wrong please I need help. See pictures
what is d history of the land? What has it been used for
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:37pm On Jul 04, 2017
damikay87:
I have a small maize plantation at the back of my house and it's 3weeks now after the plantation I notice that the leaf are turning yellow I don't no what is wrong please I need help. See pictures

Looking at the pictures attached to your post (although not too clear), there are a few possible factors that could possible be the cause of the problem. Corns are heavy feeders, in short, they are the voracious feeders when it comes to the vegetable family. Like someone rightly asked, what's the history of the land you used? What was the land preparation technique used before planting? What is the soil type (was the land fortified with manure or fertilizer before planting and how long before planting) those are a few questions I would like to have answers too.

On the leaves turning yellow, it depends on which leaves are yellow. If it is the older lower leaves it is a nitrogen deficiency. Just add supplements (Urea fertilizer) and cut down the number of plants planted together per roll (reduce it to two per hole). If it the new leaves just coming out that are turning yellow, then there are many possible cause ranging diseases, pest, herbicides usage, excessive sun/limited rainfall etc

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jul 05, 2017
Ademat7:
what is d history of the land? What has it been used for

It is not use for anything. Its a small land at the back of my house which I intended to use for practical plantation maize.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jul 05, 2017
jidestroud:

Looking at the pictures attached to your post (although not too clear), there are a few possible factors that could possible be the cause of the problem. Corns are heavy feeders, in short, they are the voracious feeders when it comes to the vegetable family. Like someone rightly asked, what's the history of the land you used? What was the land preparation technique used before planting? What is the soil type (was the land fortified with manure or fertilizer before planting and how long before planting) those are a few questions I would like to have answers too.

On the leaves turning yellow, it depends on which leaves are yellow. If it is the older lower leaves it is a nitrogen deficiency. Just add supplements (Urea fertilizer) and cut down the number of plants planted together per roll (reduce it to two per hole). If it the new leaves just coming out that are turning yellow, then there are many possible cause ranging diseases, pest, herbicides usage, excessive sun/limited rainfall etc

Thanks

I didn't add any fertilizer just planted it like that . it was three weeks after plantation I notice the part of the leaf is becoming yellow . for the history, the land is just there for a long time. But I notice a mango leaf is germinating From the land which I later pull out because of the nature of the mango trees. Tomorrow I will take a clear picture and post for clearer view .
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 11:46pm On Jul 05, 2017
damikay87:

Thanks

I didn't add any fertilizer just planted it like that . it was three weeks after plantation I notice the part of the leaf is becoming yellow . for the history, the land is just there for a long time. But I notice a mango leaf is germinating From the land which I later pull out because of the nature of the mango trees. Tomorrow I will take a clear picture and post for clearer view .

Ok. Just side-dress with urea fertilizer and you'll be good.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by adescopy(m): 7:17pm On Jul 06, 2017
damikay87:

It is not use for anything. Its a small land at the back of my house which I intended to use for practical plantation maize.
Planting maize requires proper planning. Since planting u shld have applied NPK fertilizer after d 15th day and urea at the 9week after planting. Note the quantity shld nt be more than 2 leveled bottle crown to each stand of two maize .

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 06, 2017
adescopy:
Planting maize requires proper planning. Since planting u shld have applied NPK fertilizer after d 15th day and urea at the 9week after planting. Note the quantity shld nt be more than 2 leveled bottle crown to each stand of two maize .

OK thanks. So where in lagos can I get NPK fertilizer.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 06, 2017
jidestroud:

Ok. Just side-dress with urea fertilizer and you'll be good.

OK thanks
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by kennykg(m): 8:42pm On Jul 07, 2017
Ndbc:

Check out the link below for "Ugu" farming

https://www.nairaland.com/3443247/dry-season-ugu-farming-scope
Thanks bro
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:38am On Jul 10, 2017
Day 84: Update on the F1 Victory Cabbage.

The growth is just amazing. Time to start putting preventive measures against pest/insect/diseases, surely they will attack. grin angry

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 9:33am On Jul 10, 2017
jidestroud:

The growth is just amazing. Time to start putting preventive measures against pest/insect/diseases, surely they will attack. grin angry
I love the neat arrangement of your Celosia (Soko) by the side. Whenever I transplant mine they seem to stop growing; how do you go about it? Do you often find caterpillars on yours too? Or does the organic spray prevent this? Tnx.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:13am On Jul 10, 2017
Seun:
I love the neat arrangement of your Celosia (Soko) by the side. Whenever I transplant mine they seem to stop growing; how do you go about it? Do you often find caterpillars on yours too? Or does the organic spray prevent this? Tnx.

oh, those caterpillars? the organic spray (Neem leaves/Seed blend) works just fine. i also do hand-picking on sighting them though. On transplanting the soko, i just try and lift them with soils attached to the roots as much as possible. My transplanting is done only in the evenings and watered immediately to avoid stress and sudden shock to the roots.

More pics on the Newly transplanted Soko (4days now)

Yes o! tomatoes in sacks, doing amazingly well too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by iedide: 2:34pm On Jul 10, 2017
Very inspiring thread. Thanks for the education.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:02pm On Jul 10, 2017
iedide:
Very inspiring thread. Thanks for the education.

Thanks. Still in the learning process though.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 11:54pm On Jul 10, 2017
jidestroud:

Day 84 ?

What is the expected maturity date of Cabbage ?

I intend to transplant mine this week.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 7:58am On Jul 11, 2017
jidestroud:

Yes, that was exactly what I did to the tomato (2hrs for the tomato seeds) and soko (lagos spinach was soaked all night). Then I planted in the morning of the next day. For the fluted pumpkin, I sun-dried for 24hrs before planted though.

you only broke the dormancy
that's the agricultural term for what you did

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 8:03am On Jul 11, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 15.

So far so good. The tomato seedling came out just fine. Also, I have trimmed it down to one seedling per cup by cutting of the smaller ones, Leaving the healthy ones.

Very impressive.
that's called thinning

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyo007: 10:23am On Jul 11, 2017
good job @ op
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:15pm On Jul 11, 2017
oyo007:
good job @ op
Thanks.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:18pm On Jul 11, 2017
bamidelee:
that's called thinning
Thanks for enlightening me on the right terminology. We learn everyday.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:21am On Jul 12, 2017
Ndbc:

Day 84 ?

What is the expected maturity date of Cabbage ?

I intend to transplant mine this week.

Sorry, for the mix up, the Cabbage itself is 57days old as of today. The 84th day was when the garden started. I'll make corrections to that by putting timelines to individual plants henceforth.

Thanks for the observation.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:19pm On Jul 14, 2017
Day 88: (The Fluted pumkin at a glance)

It's been a while I took pictures/updated on the fluted pumpkin. They've been overshadowed for a while now by the corns. Well, the corns are gone and they are fully back. Lol. Been selling to friends and neighbours around though (cool cash I must say).

My verdict inter-cropping Corn and Ugu (fluted pumpkin):
1.The corn plant is indeed a voracious eater. The ugu did well though I noticed the ones I planted outside the corn range did exceptionally well.
It could have been different if I used urea fertilizer but organic is just my thing.

Conclusion. Ugu and Corn for me is a No-No henceforth.

Goodnews: Went to see a fish farm (well not a nairalander) today after much persuasion from the lady that I see her little tank fish farm. I had to just patronize the beautiful young lady (I just love it when I see young ladies venturing into agriculture)
Lol...Got one free. Got the other two at N700 for both.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 1:34pm On Jul 14, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 88: (The Fluted pumkin at a glance)

It's been a while I took pictures/updated on the fluted pumpkin. They've been overshadowed for a while now by the corns. Well, the corns are gone and they are fully back. Lol. Been selling to friends and neighbours around though (cool cash I must say).

My verdict inter-cropping Corn and Ugu (fluted pumpkin):
1.The corn plant is indeed a voracious eater. The ugu did well though I noticed the ones I planted outside the corn range did exceptionally well.
It could have been different if I used urea fertilizer but organic is just my thing.

Conclusion. Ugu and Corn for me is a No-No henceforth.

Goodnews: Went to see a fish farm (well not a nairalander) today after much persuasion from the lady that I see her little tank fish farm. I had to just patronize the beautiful young lady (I just love it when I see young ladies venturing into agriculture)
Lol...Got one free. Got the other two at N700 for both.

Nice view from your garden bro.

I wish i could sell my corns and other vegetables when they have grown, but here in my vicinity i can't.

I have to give it out for free to friends, family and neighbors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 6:39pm On Jul 14, 2017
jidestroud:
Could you have just added more high-nitrogen organic fertilizer? Urine is a great organic source of nitrogen,as is Soybean meal and fresh chicken manure (I believe that the process of aging or composting manure leads to a significant loss of nitrogen).

oyetpel:

I wish i could sell my corns and other vegetables when they have grown, but here in my vicinity i can't.

Just ask for money and see what happens. Offer them a modest discount. wink

7 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:12pm On Jul 14, 2017
oyetpel:

Thanks. Ofcos I do the free giving too (those friends who keep insisting at least they helped at a point...lol). The truth is this, it could be a source of extra income, not really big but it sure would leave few change in your pocket to do a thing or two.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:24pm On Jul 14, 2017
Seun:

Could you have just added more high-nitrogen organic fertilizer? Urine is a great organic source of nitrogen,as is Soybean meal and fresh chicken manure (I believe that the process of aging or composting manure leads to a significant loss of nitrogen).

Spot on. When next and if I do plant corn again, I would be intercropping with a nitrogen fixing plant (legume crop). On urine, still studying on how its pros and cons. Maybe will try it out on the next set of hybrid cabbage I'm about growing and will compare results. (Ofcos, not peeing on my plants straight up...lol).

Thanks. Already applied chicken manure this evening. Now I just pray it rains non-stop again for another 2-3days. Hehehehe.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 7:29pm On Jul 14, 2017
jidestroud:

Spot on. When next and if I do plant corn again, I would be intercropping with a nitrogen fixing plant (legume crop). On urine, still studying on how its pros and cons. Maybe will try it out on the next set of hybrid cabbage I'm about growing and will compare results. (Ofcos, not peeing on my plants straight up...lol).

Thanks. Already applied chicken manure this evening. Now I just pray it rains non-stop again for another 2-3days. Hehehehe.

Now you pray for rain.

Remember when you were worried when the torrential rainfall was destroying your tomatoes?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.