Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120501 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by eddyline(m): 12:03am On Jul 15, 2017
Seun:

Could you have just added more high-nitrogen organic fertilizer? Urine is a great organic source of nitrogen,as is Soybean meal and fresh chicken manure (I believe that the process of aging or composting manure leads to a significant loss of nitrogen).
uncomposted Manure especially poultry droppings can be toxic to plants. have had a bad experience with them before. I won't advice anyone to attempt adding poultry manure to his crops without composting.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by luvmijeje(f): 9:25am On Jul 15, 2017
Seun:

Could you have just added more high-nitrogen organic fertilizer? Urine is a great organic source of nitrogen,as is Soybean meal and fresh chicken manure (I believe that the process of aging or composting manure leads to a significant loss of nitrogen).

Just ask for money and see what happens. Offer them a modest discount. wink

My Oga, please release me and my thread from the anti-spam bot ban. Please forgive and forget all my past sins.

Seun don't ignore my post o.

Apologies to everyone for derailing, I've been locked out from religion section.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:24am On Jul 15, 2017
oyetpel:

Now you pray for rain.

Remember when you were worried when the torrential rainfall was destroying your tomatoes?

Lol...I'm human after all.
On the tomato plant dilemma at first, I have been able to find a way around my initial problem caused by the rains. Like someone suggested, I did the following;

1. Raised the beds high enough
2. Mulched the tomato plants (used my dried up dongoyaro leaves to achieve this).
3. Prune/pinched off all the lower leaves close to the ground to avoid little splashing of water even after mulching.
4. I sprayed with baking soda/vegetable and a little local black soap to prevent those stubborn whiteflies and prevent fungi diseases.

The last rain had little or no effects on my tomato plants. Not even a signle leave curling up. They all look healthy and good. And the fruits sure do look good and getting bigger by the day.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:28am On Jul 15, 2017
eddyline:

uncomposted Manure especially poultry droppings can be toxic to plants. have had a bad experience with them before. I won't advice anyone to attempt adding poultry manure to his crops without composting.

Very true, fresh manure burns off plants. I do have a compost pile which I make use of from time to time. I'm sure that was a mistake from @seun
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:12pm On Jul 16, 2017
Finally, I get to meet the Famous Rio De Grande tomatoes in their numbers. Lol.

Waited so long for this moment, I've got so many tomato fruits on the plant now. No blights, No pest, all looking good.

Same goes for the F1 Victory Cabbage, can't wait for the heads to start forming.

Keeping a garden alive is Real work I must confess.

10 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 7:52pm On Jul 16, 2017
jidestroud:

Waited so long for this moment, I've got so many tomato fruits on the plant now. No blights, No pest, all looking good.

Same goes for the F1 Victory Cabbage, can't wait for the heads to start forming.

Nice looking tomatoes.
Keeping a garden alive is real work, i can testify to that.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 3:26am On Jul 17, 2017
jidestroud:

Same goes for the F1 Victory Cabbage, can't wait for the heads to start forming. thanks

Very attractive

How is your cucumber doing ?

I will have to try tomatoes and Bell pepper this week
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:58am On Jul 17, 2017
Ndbc:

Very attractive

How is your cucumber doing ?

I will have to try tomatoes and Bell pepper this week

Oh the cucumbers!!! Sorry I skipped the update on that. I actually did harvest just once (about 9 pieces)and discarded the whole plant though with lots of cucumbers on it. It turned out none grew beyond 7-8inches, called the friend who gave me and Oopse!!! He said he gave me poinsett instead of murano LoL. No wonder it took so long. I suspected something was off. Preparing the bags for another planting. This time Murano for sure.

Attached is the last piece of the cucumber. Half eaten though. Lols.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 9:22am On Jul 17, 2017
eddyline:
uncomposted Manure especially poultry droppings can be toxic to plants.
Every strong fertilizer can be toxic to plants. Fresh chicken manure is not as strong/toxic as Urea or NPK fertilizer. The key to using any strong fertilizer safely is to either dilute it with more water/soil/carbon, or to bury it in the ground at a safe distance from your plant roots

Corn is less prone to nitrogen fertilizer burn than most plants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdBK1_XvHGg

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 10:02pm On Jul 17, 2017
Seun:

Every strong fertilizer can be toxic to plants. Fresh chicken manure is not as strong/toxic as Urea or NPK fertilizer. The key to using any strong fertilizer safely is to either dilute it with more water/soil/carbon, or to bury it in the ground at a safe distance from your plant roots

I totally agree with this.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by finest0007(m): 9:16am On Jul 20, 2017
jidestroud:

Oh the cucumbers!!! Sorry I skipped the update on that. I actually did harvest just once (about 9 pieces)and discarded the whole plant though with lots of cucumbers on it. It turned out none grew beyond 7-8inches, called the friend who gave me and Oopse!!! He said he gave me poinsett instead of murano LoL. No wonder it took so long. I suspected something was off. Preparing the bags for another planting. This time Murano for sure.

Attached is the last piece of the cucumber. Half eaten though. Lols.

Off point but love your pictures, so clear. What device do you use Sir?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2017
finest0007:

Off point but love your pictures, so clear. What device do you use Sir?

Lol...I never knew blackberry curve 4 camera could ever get the attention of anybody in today's world. I find it easy to snap with it, adjusted to small (640 x 480) for fast uploading shikena.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Itydee(m): 10:44am On Jul 23, 2017
I'm so impressed with your openness and sincerity. I want start planting cucumber and tomatoes next week. I'm Port Harcourt based. Is this the right time of the year to start? Its raining cat and dog for the past 2 days here.. I want to do it large scale too. I have some cabbage seeds given to me by my Philipino friend last year . Is it still viable? I Also plan to plant ginger too in my farm. Is this the right season to start. I have about 40 plots PH measurement to play with.
Ideas please.....!!!!!?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 11:02am On Jul 23, 2017
Seun:

I have tried this method, it works like magic, maybe i will be using this technique henceforth.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 11:44am On Jul 24, 2017
Itydee:
I'm so impressed with your openness and sincerity. I want start planting cucumber and tomatoes next week. I'm Port Harcourt based. Is this the right time of the year to start? Its raining cat and dog for the past 2 days here.. I want to do it large scale too. I have some cabbage seeds given to me by my Philipino friend last year . Is it still viable? I Also plan to plant ginger too in my farm. Is this the right season to start. I have about 40 plots PH measurement to play with.
Ideas please.....!!!!!?

Thanks for the positive feedback, really appreciated. Okay, back to business.
Firstly, 40 plots isn't something to play around with biko. I have come to the realization that Agriculture is Real BUSINESS, and it requires 100% attention if you are to make a living from it.

Secondly, both cucumbers and tomatoes are good to go but you need to all the factors for optimum growth and bountiful harvest in place. e.g.

1. Your Terrains (Land type, soil type, season etc) before you even start. This enables you to make necessary provisions for deficiencies and supplemental additions if need be.

2. No what type of cucumber/tomato specie thrives best. (Well, for this rainy season, you would've have to go extra yard if you want to go into tomato farming as of now, believe me, the odds ain't too good for now)

3. Most people actually don't discuss the other part of Farming, i.e. Where you could actually fail big time. Not even in this time when diseases and pests are a major concern in crop farming. you would to prepare for it. Like someone told me, Don't ever try resurrecting an infested/infected plant, just destroy and start over again...meaning "prevention is better than cure in farming. Lol

4. On the issue on viability of your seeds, well, there are couple of ways I try checking out if a seed is till viable; like suspending in water, wrapping the seeds in damp tissue paper and putting it in my fridge to see if it develops roots in a couple of days...etc.

5. Why not try out ugu (fluted pumpkin) farming. You could lay your hands on some ph seeds (which is also in high demand in lagos here) or go for the all time sort after calabar seeds. Both will do very well in this season with less stress. The rains will do just fine.

6. I know nothing on ginger farming.

Hope I helped a little. Lol.

NOTE: I'm not an expert/professional in Agricultural crop farming . Please, before you go ahead and start up, do consult with professional in the field.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by 1kinggy(m): 5:16pm On Jul 24, 2017
Itydee:
Ideas please.....!!!!!?

Most of the questions have been answered above.

On ginger, buy enough in the market, keep them at home where humidity is high, it'd start budding, then cut along the bud and plant.

The pix attached is ginger I mixed-cropped with my efo soko.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 11:07am On Jul 26, 2017
F1 Victory Cabbage Update (Day 69):

Finally, the head formation kicks in. I was beginning to have doubts; will this cabbage develop heads at all? Well, everything thing seems to be fine with the cabbage after all. The head formation is clearly visible now. Patience seems to be the key.

URGENT PLEASE:
Does anyone have a quick and fast way of eradicating snails/slug infestation? I am beginning to see a few munching on my cabbage lately.

1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 11:52am On Jul 26, 2017
jidestroud:

Finally, the head formation kicks in. I was beginning to have doubts; will this cabbage develop heads at all? Well, everything thing seems to be fine with the cabbage after all. The head formation is clearly visible now. Patience seems to be the key.

URGENT PLEASE:
Does anyone have a quick and fast way of eradicating snails/slug infestation? I am beginning to see a few munching on my cabbage lately.
wow, cool. get egg shells enough, grind but not into powdered form. grind into particles that can cause a prickly effect and form a kind of fencing surrounding the plants by dropping on the ground. i bet u snail will totally avoid crossing over to feed on the nutritious leaves of the cabbage. u can as well spray a solution of neem containing hot pepper on the plants often. to prevent army worm also especially now the head formation is in.
again, do a routine hand picking of snails hiding on the surrounding plants at least 5-6feet away from the the cabbage plants.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 2:34pm On Jul 26, 2017
Munzy14:

wow, cool. get egg shells enough, grind but not into powdered form. grind into particles that can cause a prickly effect and form a kind of fencing surrounding the plants by dropping on the ground. i bet u snail will totally avoid crossing over to feed on the nutritious leaves of the cabbage. u can as well spray a solution of neem containing hot pepper on the plants often. to prevent army worm also especially now the head formation is in.
again, do a routine hand picking of snails hiding on the surrounding plants at least 5-6feet away from the the cabbage plants.

Thanks. Will get to work on the neem and hot pepper mixture in spraying the cabbage plant. Was a little concern about the taste of the cabbage that's all.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 5:16pm On Jul 26, 2017
jidestroud:

URGENT PLEASE:

Cabbage seems to be more tasking than tomatoes, you have conquered it already, very soon you will be preparing salad with veggies from ur garden. Congrats !
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:50pm On Jul 26, 2017
Ndbc:

Cabbage seems to be more tasking than tomatoes, you have conquered it already, very soon you will be preparing salad with veggies from ur garden. Congrats !

Yes o! But I beg to disagree a little. The tomatoes gave me a little tough time. I had to start all over again after my first disastrous attempt but the cabbage did just fine all through the rains. Tomato planting during the rains is WAR biko. Lol
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 6:11pm On Jul 26, 2017
jidestroud:

Yes o! But I beg to disagree a little. The tomatoes gave me a little tough time. I had to start all over again after my first disastrous attempt but the cabbage did just fine all through the rains. Tomato planting during the rains is WAR biko. Lol

Lolzzz .. grin
Alright, if you say so.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 6:17pm On Jul 26, 2017
Munzy14:

Bros, please is Darina cucumber seed available in Owerri, between cu-999 & Darina which is better in your opinion ? Thanks

(Seems ur WhatsApp is not available that's why i track u to this place)
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 6:18pm On Jul 26, 2017
jidestroud:

My tomatoes are still young and they are growing well despite the torrential rainfalls.

I think the reason is because i made a bed for them.

I will snap a picture of it tomorrow and post on my thread.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:18pm On Jul 26, 2017
oyetpel:

My tomatoes are still young and they are growing well despite the torrential rainfalls.

I think the reason is because i made a bed for them.

I will snap a picture of it tomorrow and post on my thread.

okay cool. Just try as much as possible to keep the splashes of the leaves / and prune off the lower leaves closer to the ground. (Hoping to see the updated pixs soonest)
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by 1kinggy(m): 8:24am On Jul 27, 2017
jidestroud:

URGENT PLEASE:

Slugs and snails like beer, pour beer in deep cans and place them some distance from the veggies. It'd attract the slugs and if you hold them till you can come and pick.

Check YouTube for can designs.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 10:46am On Jul 27, 2017
Ndbc:

Bros, please is Darina cucumber seed available in Owerri, between cu-999 & Darina which is better in your opinion ? Thanks

(Seems ur WhatsApp is not available that's why i track u to this place)
lol. its available chat me up. so we avoid thread derailing. thanks.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:20pm On Jul 27, 2017
1kinggy:

Slugs and snails like beer, pour beer in deep cans and place them some distance from the veggies. It'd attract the slugs and if you hold them till you can come and pick.

Check YouTube for can designs.

Thanks for the info. Working on some designs coupled with the hot pepper neem sprayer suggested earlier. Hope this works just fine.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 9:37pm On Jul 27, 2017
jidestroud:
(I tried dispersing it with sand mixture, didn't work),
It's probably not overcrowding, butyYou can actually plant small seeds precisely using this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZZFTA_12ZM

It grows perfectly, then after about 5-10days everything withers away. Still finding a way around it. (Tete - the White Green as popularly called )
Can you post a pic of what the plants look like when they start withering away, or describe them? Do the leaves become bent or wrinkled?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.