Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,499 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage (42440 Views)

Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng / Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by chikenicholas(m): 11:11am On Apr 18, 2017
My Toyota camry also have the same issue.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by murmee: 11:14am On Apr 18, 2017
honmusa:

"My engine is shorting oil and is not smoking but instead is water that come out of the exhaust pipe indicating my engine is still ok ""
I get this statement alot from my customer in similar situation. And by the time I just rev the car once @ idle ,the whole neighborhood is already filled with white smoke coming from the exhaust.
Get somebody to check the colour of exhaust coming out from the tailpipe while u rev the car.Your engine is definitely smoking especially if u have been using a wrong oil .You need somebody to confirm this smoking for u while your rev the car .
That water that come out from your exhaust doesn't mean anything ,it just a product of condensation that has occurred overnight , a normal thing for all engine wether smoking or not!!!
Save towards getting a tokunbo engine and desist from using Mobil XHP ,it is a wrong oil .
In case u a still not convinced that your engine is smoking ,if you are in Lagos u can come to my workshop @ Gbagada for diagnosis of your engine compression.
You sha take style advertise your service. (just joking). But on a serious note, your post is very informative. I have learnt from it and I have also checked on how to contact you!
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by AceVentura: 11:42am On Apr 18, 2017
Hi Emeka,

I used to experience that with Mobil 1 Engine Oil. Mine dried 3wks after servicing & I changed to Total Engine Oil.

No issues now with both the fuel & Diesel engine oil.

All the best.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Lokoyen(m): 12:02pm On Apr 18, 2017
honmusa:

I don't recommend engine rebuild becos rebuild done in the local way doesn't last (measurement,torque etc will not done to specification,non access to using original repair kit etc).
The real rebuilt done to engineering specification is expensive and resource intensive .
It is cheaper and safer to just go for tokunbo engine.Simply plug and play !!!!

I will like to introduce u to someone and ur mentality will change. He buys only original parts for rebuilding. He gives 2 years guarantee! He his the one that rebuild most hummer buses and commercial buses in Ibadan. If sum1 can rebuild for commercial cars and still give 1 year what do u expect of private cars dat only travel once a while.

buying new engine too doesn't give one assurance that it will last. No one knows wat happens to the car the engine was removed from. Its all risk. We av cases where sum1 bought tokunbo engine and still av issues.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Almod957(m): 12:03pm On Apr 18, 2017
honmusa:

The required grade or viscosity of the oil is usually written on the oil filler cap .For most modern cars from 1997-2007 always required 5w30 grade of oil .For Mobil brands,It is Mobil 1
What is the alternative grade of oil to 5w30 grade? That's the grade written on the engine cover. What happens if I use any other grade? I use Toyota previer 2004 model, the engine 2ZA
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Malawian(m): 12:25pm On Apr 18, 2017
mienz:
Please kindly replace you PCV valve in ur car. When the valve is bad it drys up the oil. The valve is not more than 2k. i had similar issue and that was what i did to solve the problem. u can check youtube for video about it . most of our mechanic don't know this info.
what is this and where is it found? my honda also dry oil.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by emekuzi: 12:30pm On Apr 18, 2017
Emekayoung:
Wat do i do. My baby boy dries up oil within 2 weeks after servicing. I use mobil XHP 20w 50. Though the engine does not smoke. And i always see vapour coming out of the exhaust tail wen ever i start the car in the morning or wen it's raining. Pls u guys shuld help me out...
I think the two options are you either have a physical leak or your engine smokes(showing your oil rings are out).
It could also be that you are not using the right oil specified for your ride.
But you said there is no physical leaks and no excessive smoking! Pls dowell to let us know if there is any other cause apart from these two. Waiting.....
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by autotrader2: 12:47pm On Apr 18, 2017
Almod957:

What is the alternative grade of oil to 5w30 grade? That's the grade written on the engine cover. What happens if I use any other grade? I use Toyota previer 2004 model, the engine 2ZA

If it says 5w30, you should use the OEM recommended 5w30 oil for it. That's Toyota Motor Oil 5w30

You can call 09086679585 to get it
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by begwong: 1:44pm On Apr 18, 2017
Very informative,helpful and timely. I am at the mechanic place right now after reading this because my car started showing same signs lately. For now my mech diagnosed and suggested we replace the oil seal which he discovered was faulty. While we topped the oil to monitor for a while again.
Keep you guys posted.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Emekayoung(m): 2:36pm On Apr 18, 2017
lokito:
Your piston rings are weak and needs replacement.
Also confirm that your plugs soak oil too
My plugs are okay. The are not soaked wit oil at all...
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Emekayoung(m): 5:06pm On Apr 18, 2017
Kakamorufu:
does your engine release sooty smoke or thick smoke? if yes, go change the piston rings and the cylinder head gasket
Which one is d cyclinder head gasket i am supposed to change. Do u have any pix for sample? Pls help o...
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Emekayoung(m): 5:08pm On Apr 18, 2017
AceVentura:
Hi Emeka,

I used to experience that with Mobil 1 Engine Oil. Mine dried 3wks after servicing & I changed to Total Engine Oil.

No issues now with both the fuel & Diesel engine oil.

All the best.
Pls wat grade of total oil did u use. I want to go and get it if possible...
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Kakamorufu(m): 5:27pm On Apr 18, 2017
Emekayoung:

Which one is d cyclinder head gasket i am supposed to change. Do u have any pix for sample? Pls help o...
excuse my vocabulary. Its simply called gasket.. Its a thin layer fibre separating the cylinder head and main piston area. Google it to see how it looks
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by mejai(m): 6:17pm On Apr 18, 2017
take ur car to a 'pit' and use torchlight(do it yourself) to study under d engine with ur 'mechanic'. if u r lucky u might see d culprit.
Check ya crankshaft oil seal. it is always neglected. Some of dis leakin oil might just soak on d mud collected by ur car, dis makes d leakage hard to find.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Emekayoung(m): 9:38pm On Apr 18, 2017
Kakamorufu:
excuse my vocabulary. Its simply called gasket.. Its a thin layer fibre separating the cylinder head and main piston area. Google it to see how it looks
So do u think i shuld change d gasket? Though my car over heated last week for no reason. After thorough examination,there was no cause for the car to over heat and so my mech suggested i change d gasket. But can gasket make my car to dry up oil because i don't want to embark on white elephant project...?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by ihail(m): 10:54pm On Apr 18, 2017
Emekayoung:
Wat do i do. My baby boy dries up oil within 2 weeks after servicing. I use mobil XHP 20w 50. Though the engine does not smoke. And i always see vapour coming out of the exhaust tail wen ever i start the car in the morning or wen it's raining. Pls u guys shuld help me out...

Is it same oil u have been using? U may have to change to TOTAL W20 5000 or so. Really cant remember d grade cos it may be that ur engine isn't cokpartible with that Mobil as such it burns it off. I experienced same some years ago when I started using same Mobil oil and was advised by d guy who does d servicing to change to TOTAL and since then (about 3yrs now) till date I haven't experienced it.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Kakamorufu(m): 5:46am On Apr 19, 2017
Emekayoung:

So do u think i shuld change d gasket? Though my car over heated last week for no reason. After thorough examination,there was no cause for the car to over heat and so my mech suggested i change d gasket. But can gasket make my car to dry up oil because i don't want to embark on white elephant project...?
it might be the best option to change the gasket. the over heating might have affected it
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Larrywax2016: 8:43pm On Apr 24, 2017
Thanks ....
honmusa:

The required grade or viscosity of the oil is usually written on the oil filler cap .For most modern cars from 1997-2007 always required 5w30 grade of oil .For Mobil brands,It is Mobil 1
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by honmusa(m): 7:15am On Apr 25, 2017
Emekayoung:

Don't jump to changing gasket yet cos if is not properly done ,your engine will never remain the same.
If you have overheating issue ,try to look for the cause of the overheating,leaking gasket is never a cause of overheating ,it is also part of effect.
From experience ,80% of overheating complaint is due to hidden leak ,look for the leak and the overheating will go away.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by obekediamondfuto(m): 5:20am On Apr 26, 2017
two things short oil noticeably, leakage and smoking! the latter still has a lot to do with leaking as well. physical leakage has to be really profuse for it to go out in such a short while as u described. so u will definitely know if its leaking outside. for the smoking part, the oil is still leaking but now, it's leaking internally, past it's designated flow lines, past seals and into the combustion chamber where it is burned off along with the fuel. this is also arguably noticeable. cos u will also know. in fact if u choose not to know, other people will know "for u" and they will inform u.
so either way u shud know!!!!
nb if u r using 20w50 and the oil is leaking internally...... na rebuild be that oh. cos that viscosity has been uses severally to minimize leakage in old and excessively used engines.

lest I forget..... the new kazeem word for damaged is "tired". so op I just hope ur engine isn't tired!!!!!! ;DOK two things short oil noticeably, leakage and smoking! the latter still has a lot to do with leaking as well. physical leakage has to be really profuse for it to go out in such a short while as u described. so u will definitely know if its leaking outside. for the smoking part, the oil is still leaking but now, it's leaking internally, past it's designated flow lines, past seals and into the combustion chamber where it is burned off along with the fuel. this is also arguably noticeable. cos u will also know. in fact if u choose not to know, other people will know "for u" and they will inform u.
so either way u shud know!!!!
nb if u r using 20w50 and the oil is leaking internally...... na rebuild be that oh. cos that viscosity has been uses severally to minimize leakage in old and excessively used engines.

lest I forget..... the new kazeem word for damaged is "tired". so op I just hope ur engine isn't tired!!!!!! ;DOK
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by emmaak2(m): 9:17pm On Sep 11, 2018
Learnt alot
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by GREATP1(m): 2:26pm On Sep 12, 2018
It happened to my Toyota corolla sport. It is a problem with Mobil oil. All I did was to change to Total oil during the next service and it worked like magic. I have recommended this solution to two other people and it also worked for them.

Higher percentage of mobile oil outside there, Mobil filling station inclusive, are adulterated oil.

My opinion.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Emekayoung(m): 11:37pm On Feb 25, 2019
GREATP1:
It happened to my Toyota corolla sport. It is a problem with Mobil oil. All I did was to change to Total oil during the next service and it worked like magic. I have recommended this solution to two other people and it also worked for them.

Higher percentage of mobile oil outside there, Mobil filling station inclusive, are adulterated oil.

My opinion.
Pls what type of total oil is it?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by welly4life: 11:34am On Apr 06, 2019
Please kindly replace you PCV valve in ur car. When the valve is bad it drys up the oil. The valve is not more than 2k. i had similar issue and that was what i did to solve the problem. u can check youtube for video about it . most of our mechanic don't know this info.
pls I need this pcv valve for my corolla 2006, how do o get it, I'm not resident in Lagos where you easily get everything to buy. Thank you
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Awani007(m): 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2019
Which oil did u change to? And where can it be gotten?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Awani007(m): 5:23pm On Apr 11, 2019
GREATP1:

My opinion.
which did u change to? And where can we get it?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by femarse: 7:41am On Feb 01, 2022
Emekayoung:

My plugs are okay. The are not soaked wit oil at all...
pls how did u eventually resolve this issue, i am facing exact issue with same car baby boy
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by ciggy000(m): 8:53pm On Feb 12, 2022
femarse:

pls how did u eventually resolve this issue, i am facing exact issue with same car baby boy
Were you able to resolve this as I'm faced with similar problem on my baby boy
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by femarse: 8:48am On Feb 13, 2022
ciggy000:

Were you able to resolve this as I'm faced with similar problem on my baby boy
Was advice to ring the engine....have not done so thou, still looking for a sound person to give it too

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw" Some Outstanding Cars Used In The Movie / This One-off BMW X6 In Vantablack Finish Is The Darkest Car In The World / Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.