Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA (32835 Views)

ACCA Pledges To Assist FG In Tackling Public Sector Accounting Gaps / 5 Reasons It Is Better To Work In Lagos Than Abuja / 5 Reasons Why ACCA Is Better Than ICAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by obstead200(m): 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2017
optimusmind:
There have been much discussion on which professional qualifications a person seeking a career path in accounting and finance should have.
While the ACCA is an international body with more recognition, there are certain reasons while one may chose to write ICAN over ACCA.
I hope to shed some light why it may be better to write ICAN instead ACCA.

1. Cost of examination.
The ACCA exams has always been more expensive than the ICAN exams, however with the recent increase in Dollars against naira, the fee is even higher than ever.
Currently the average price per course is £80 oughly N35000 and you may have to write up-to 3 courses per diet if you want to finish on time. ICAN, the maximum you'd ever pay is N70,000 and that is for the maximum number of courses ( 6 courses),other times you'd pay N40,000 to N55000 for all your courses. So if you have a slim budget, it may be in your advantage to write the ICAN exams.

2. Availability of Resources
For the ACCA exams, the resources at your disposal is someworth limited. Firstly, only few tuition houses are accredited to prepare students for the exams. Also, the study material has to be purchased online and paid for in pounds, another additional cost. For ICAN however, the resources needed are readily available online and offline. And there are a lot of books for purchase to make studies easier.

3. Statutory recognition.
In Nigeria presently, only ICAN and ANAN has been given the charter to audit reports. So despite having the ACCA qualification, you still cannot sign and approve financial statements unless you are a member of ICAN, which would mean you coming back to write the ICAN exams. I know there are a lot of exemptions. However, isn't it double cost if you still come back and pay for the same ICAN exams again? The basic advantage of ACCA is the recognition in the private sector. But in term of statutory audit, or even public sector, you still need ICAN to climb higher

4. Easier to pass
It is generally easier to sit for and pass ICAN. It is common to see individuals who seat for the ICAN exams and pass every thing in one sitting. Truth be told, ACCA is setting the standard which ICAN follow. So if your goal is to become a chartered accountant as soon as possible with lesser stress you are better of writing ICAN instead of ACCA.

5. Patriotism
We always complain our county is bad and not progressing, yet we constantly leave our home made things and go for foreign ones. These two bodies are serving the same purpose. Therefore, there's no need leaving the one of our mother land for preference for a foreign body. It pays to be patriotic and promote the affairs of our own country.

Conclusion
With the harmonization of accounting standard and Nigeria adopting IFRS, there is no difference between the two bodies. Basically they have Very similar course outline cutting through virtually the same area. The gap between the two bodies have greatly been closed. Also, ICAN is an international qualification and recognized in a lot of other countries.

Good luck in your career
This is the biggest bullshit I have read online in a long time. ICAN easier to pass ? What nonsense!!! The OP shud not compare his mediocre self to other pple.
Both ICAN and ACCA are not easy to pass. If u are not very very very prepared and very determined, u are going no where. I have ICAN, but if I have the funds to spare, I will jump on an opportunity to write ACCA.

The only thing that makes sense in this writeup is that ACCA is expensive. That's all. Every other submission here is pure rubbish.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by cooa(f): 12:06pm On Apr 21, 2017
Perfectdanny:

I'm an undergraduate geography student. Can i write ICAN or ACCA after i graduate?

You can start anytime you are able to. As a geography student, you wouldn't qualify for any exemption (which would be the major reason to wait till you graduate).

If you are able to, the earlier the better I say.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by cooa(f): 12:25pm On Apr 21, 2017
optimusmind:
There have been much discussion on which professional qualifications a person seeking a career path in accounting and finance should have.
While the ACCA is an international body with more recognition, there are certain reasons while one may chose to write ICAN over ACCA.
I hope to shed some light why it may be better to write ICAN instead ACCA.

1. Cost of examination.
The ACCA exams has always been more expensive than the ICAN exams, however with the recent increase in Dollars against naira, the fee is even higher than ever.
Currently the average price per course is £80 oughly N35000 and you may have to write up-to 3 courses per diet if you want to finish on time. ICAN, the maximum you'd ever pay is N70,000 and that is for the maximum number of courses ( 6 courses),other times you'd pay N40,000 to N55000 for all your courses. So if you have a slim budget, it may be in your advantage to write the ICAN exams.

2. Availability of Resources
For the ACCA exams, the resources at your disposal is someworth limited. Firstly, only few tuition houses are accredited to prepare students for the exams. Also, the study material has to be purchased online and paid for in pounds, another additional cost. For ICAN however, the resources needed are readily available online and offline. And there are a lot of books for purchase to make studies easier.

3. Statutory recognition.
In Nigeria presently, only ICAN and ANAN has been given the charter to audit reports. So despite having the ACCA qualification, you still cannot sign and approve financial statements unless you are a member of ICAN, which would mean you coming back to write the ICAN exams. I know there are a lot of exemptions. However, isn't it double cost if you still come back and pay for the same ICAN exams again? The basic advantage of ACCA is the recognition in the private sector. But in term of statutory audit, or even public sector, you still need ICAN to climb higher

4. Easier to pass
It is generally easier to sit for and pass ICAN. It is common to see individuals who seat for the ICAN exams and pass every thing in one sitting. Truth be told, ACCA is setting the standard which ICAN follow. So if your goal is to become a chartered accountant as soon as possible with lesser stress you are better of writing ICAN instead of ACCA.

5. Patriotism
We always complain our county is bad and not progressing, yet we constantly leave our home made things and go for foreign ones. These two bodies are serving the same purpose. Therefore, there's no need leaving the one of our mother land for preference for a foreign body. It pays to be patriotic and promote the affairs of our own country.

Conclusion
With the harmonization of accounting standard and Nigeria adopting IFRS, there is no difference between the two bodies. Basically they have Very similar course outline cutting through virtually the same area. The gap between the two bodies have greatly been closed. Also, ICAN is an international qualification and recognized in a lot of other countries.

Good luck in your career

I also disagree with this!

(1) Yes ACCA is more expensive, but ACCA has made it easier, now students in Nigeria can pay in Naira. Its still more expensive than ICAN, but their rates are lower than black market rates for forec exchange. You can even pay in bits, which is what I did to save up for my exams.

(2) No resources are not limited! don't be average, waiting to be spoonfed. Aside from the past papers on the ACCA website, there are several materials available online for free. www.countingonaccounting. even called for requests for syllabus areas students would like to see treated.

(3) Dear fellow, this is so untrue! To sign off on audits, an ACCA accountant just needs to register with the Financial Reporting council (FRC). Again, as an accountant in a firm, I'd like to add that you'll most likely be at a very senior level if you are signing off on audits. I work as a mid-level accountant in the private sector, and I oversee audits, but I've never signed-off on one. I've been preparing reports for investors in different countries, and my membership number is good enough.

(4) Easier to pass! This is such a lazy statement it makes me smile smiley I suppose it points to our inclination as Nigerians of wanting things the easy way. FYI, I passed most of my ACCA exams studying on my own. I had to study on my own because I couldn't afford lectures.

(5) Pay your taxes if you want to be patriotic. Also buy Nigerian products.

(6) Both bodies have their place, it does not do to give comparisons based on wrong information.

To anyone planning on becoming a chartered accountant, I trust you have enough sense to research your options, considering your future goals. also, please read www.countingonaccounting., its for aspiring accountants.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by ebonyeyes88(f): 3:59pm On May 20, 2017
kunlexyfred:

U will be writing the last stage that comprises 5papers....... If an ACCA member wants to go for ICAN too, he/she has just 3papers to write
happy birthday dear
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by kunlexyfred(m): 4:49pm On May 20, 2017
ebonyeyes88:
happy birthday dear
Thanks so much for the message.. I really appreciate.
Hope u wrote d last diet ..
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by ebonyeyes88(f): 5:05pm On May 20, 2017
kunlexyfred:

Thanks so much for the message.. I really appreciate.
Hope u wrote d last diet ..
diet how you mean?
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by kunlexyfred(m): 5:23pm On May 20, 2017
ebonyeyes88:
diet how you mean?
Oh.... Sorry... I suppose u are a student of ACCA or ICAN , considering d section u posted ur goodwill message.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by ebonyeyes88(f): 7:05pm On May 20, 2017
kunlexyfred:

Oh.... Sorry... I suppose u are a student of ACCA or ICAN , considering d section u posted ur goodwill message.
no sir, I was just scrolling down the page n saw all the birthdays for today and decided to give random people with birthdays a shout out...

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by kunlexyfred(m): 7:35pm On May 20, 2017
ebonyeyes88:
no sir, I was just scrolling down the page n saw all the birthdays for today and decided to give random people with birthdays a shout out...
Thanks
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by sweetilicious(f): 4:36am On May 21, 2017
Mustay:
I initially did not want to respond to this thread but just so you do not misinform people, I have decided to login on a PC to clarify:

True, with the FX instability, ICAN is the cheaper option. Even ACCA recognises this as they have a special rate for the Nigerian students. Students from other countries (particularly African and Asian) too also complain about FX and its effect on writing the examinations.

This is totally false. First, you digress when you move from availability of resources to availability of tuition houses. Compared to about ten (10) years ago, the tuition houses you have for ACCA have improved. With the exams getting more popular and Nigerians dissing ICAN for ACCA, ICAN had to change their policy on exemptions etc. There are sites when you can get resources for ACCA online free ( and I am not referring to hacking or pirated materials). True that the fact that it is in pounds affects the cost of buying original study materials but there are definitely MUCH MORE resources online (videos, discussion forums, tutor support, revision notes and audio lectures) than ICAN. A google search will easily discard this point as irrelevant. More so, I know some ICAN students who could not afford materials and had to photocopy - everyone's situation is different. The most important thing is to maximise the resources you have - eg borrow materials from those who wrote a previous diet and the likes.

You are right here; I stated this previously but like I also mentioned, if you think of migrating abroad, don't make this mistake. If ICAN learns from the likes of the Pakistani body, you would see much recognition internationally. I will just ask you to do a simple search online on international job boards or recruitment agencies and you'd easily see ACCA there. Though North America usually has its own specifics, this is where conversion and exemption makes sense. When you know what CPA students for example go through, you will appreciate the cost of exemptions. I guess you are yet to really ask yourself why "the basic advantage of ACCA is the recognition in the private sector" exists.

When you refer to 'climbing higher' in the public sector, ANAN is the easy way out. That's why you find public officials choosing the route and still achieving career growth in the public sector.

As far as I am concerned, what you do with your certificate is the most important. Most times, people who have all these certifications earn it for a particular purpose, after two - three years without relevant practise or continuous professional development, you are as good as a novice.

This is one fallacy accountancy students fall for. In reality, no one cares how hard your exam although there is a notion that the harder the exam, the more respected it is but what is the purpose of an exam? Knowledge is not meant to be for a select few even though we need regulations for members. I see students from India, Pakistan etc too argue about this too - they even venture into CFA being less harder than the equivalent they have. Guy, everyone has his or her own story - something about professional examinations students fail to realise is this, EXECUTION takes precedence over PREPARATION. Sounds funny right Most times, students read and even cram the study material but their delivery during the examination often fails them. So you can have an average student passing at one sitting and an exceptionally brilliant student stumbling.

I also do not support this ASAP ideology of yours. At the end, you will get the designation but like I wrote earlier, it is what you do with any certification or knowledge that matters the most. We are certificate crazy in this country because it seems to boost our profile whereas globally, people seek competency. A situation where ICAN examiners will set examination questions from topics not in a syllabus or where they do not do thorough review of questions (e.g MCQ questions) leaves a lot to be desired.

Nothing to say here. I believe in options anyway and once again, it is not about sentiments. The Pakistani and Indian accountancy bodies are very strong, we can learn from them too. I'd support the Nigerians bodies over any foreign body if we ensure quality and standards.

Can we have a list of these countries and the idea of how easy it is to convert a foreign CA to the countries? Let's start with W.Africa first.

The edge ACCA has here even in territories where they are less popular is PARTNERSHIP, Without that, the members are as good as 'abandoned'.
Your analysis is true
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by firdouz: 6:45pm On Jul 28, 2017
IF YOU NEED TIPS ON ANY ICAN COURSE ON HOW TO PASS IT WHATSAPP SMS TO 08074803274
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by tunlex01(m): 7:32am On Aug 03, 2017
Good morning, can someone help me with the soft copy of F6 study pack?
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Talkingboy: 4:53pm On Jan 30, 2018
OK
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Leonpek: 1:44pm On Apr 02, 2018
I have the following books for sale at very cheap prices. Call me on 08168585338:
1. Financial Accounting, A. R. Jennings
2. Financial Accounting Solutions Manual , A. R. Jennings
3. Management Accounting T. Lucey (2no.)
4. Quantitative Techniques T. Lucey
5. Managerial Economics D. N. Dwivedi
6. Accounting: Theory and Principles Samuel M. Nzotta ph. D
7. Theories and Practice of Financial Management N. C. Nwezeaku
8. Investment Analysis Linus Eze Akujobi (2no.)
9. Law Relating to Banking O. A. Ajayi
10. Principles of Economics Ugoh, Felix Kelechi
11. Corporate Finance Linus Eze Akujobi
12. Principles of Financial Management Aminu K. Kurfi
13. Research Methodology in Behavioural Sciences Namdi Asika
14. Research Methods for Business Students A. A. Akanbi
15. Introduction to Elements of Cost Habib Sulaiman
16. Probable Questions and Answers on Principles of Nigerian Law Ekpederin K. Ehensiri ESQ.
17. Essays on Banking and Consolidation in Nigeria (merger motives and consequences) Peter Ikpamejo fce & Kenneth Oboh ace
18. Introduction to Research Methodology E. C. Osuala
19. Corporate Survival, Competitiveness and Customer Satisfaction in Nigerian Industries Murtala S. Sagagi Ph. D & Yusuf M. Adamu Ph. D
20. Fundamentals of Applied Quantitative Techniques for Management Decisions Godwin Emeka Nworuh
21. Public Sector Accounting & Financial Control I. E. Johnson FCA
22. Nigerian Public Finance John C. Anyanwu Ph. D
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by tunlex01(m): 12:42am On Apr 03, 2018
Can someone please share f5 and F6 study text and revision material with me.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by destinel(m): 3:27pm On Dec 07, 2018
Hello dear Potential Chartered Accountants. As you all know, early preparation is key: before May 2019 diet come knocking, do you require that one-on-one tutelage which can only be provided by a PRIVATE TUTOR?...

Contact me for any LEVEL (FOUNDATION SKILLS & PROFESSIONAL) on:

Call/Whatsapp

Charge is really friendly and affordable. Lagos is the location.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 09, 2018
destinel:
Hello dear Potential Chartered Accountants. As you all know, early preparation is key: before May 2019 diet come knocking, do you require that one-on-one tutelage which can only be provided by a PRIVATE TUTOR?...

Contact me for any LEVEL (FOUNDATION SKILLS & PROFESSIONAL) on:

Call/Whatsapp

Charge is really friendly and affordable. Lagos is the location.

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by kenny189(m): 6:53pm On Oct 28, 2019
Sales of ACCA study materials

We want to announce to all stakeholders that ACCA/ICAN study materials(study packs, pathfinders, text books, video lectures, study kits, revision kits etc) are still available for sale at affordable price.

We supply materials in large quantity to various ACCA centers and ICAN centers all over the states at wholesales price. Discount is also available for retail sales.

We are known for excellence and high level of integrity.

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by DexterousOne(m): 1:48pm On Dec 26, 2019
scobaba:
I agree with you on Number 1. With the foreign exchange hike, ACCA is not an exam you want to writr and fail.

You are not Correct about no 2. You can buy materials from tuition houses, also ACCA is one exam you can get complete free text and hand outs on line. I wrote and passed P1 n P3 with just the free online material from opentuition.com

Statutory Recognition... You are correct if you want to go into full time audit. However most firms with International affiliation will always give kudos to those wih ACCA. I have ICAN, after i got my recent job with it, my finance manager ( a white) still advised me to go for ACCA as it would afford me the chance of Cross Country posting when there is space.

No 4: Easier to pass.... Is relative. In both exams, if you dont read hard and well, you will fail. I have friends who left Ican for Acca after failing Ican but still dint pass Acca and vice versa. Hard work is a factor common to both.

Finally Patriotism.... grin whateva that means when academics is concerned.
Its like telling me to choose between a scholarship to do masters in Harvard and another scholarship to do in UNiversity of Nigeria... Oga check am.

Nice one
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Karac: 9:36am On Jan 10, 2020
Ican na scam abeg. They are after what they can get from members and not what they can offer. They offer nothing. a lot of members are unemployed or underpaid, and yet ican threaten them of delisting because of non-payment of annual subscription fee. They do not think of how to protect the interests of their members but their own. Generally, Nigeria na scam. So pathetic!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by EyinjuGod(f): 3:42pm On Jan 22, 2020
Hello all...
Please is ACCA recognised in US?
And for Nigeria,what's the cost of registering for ACCA, plus the cost of foundational exam.
And lastly, who knows a good ICAN/ACCA tutorial centre at yaba, Sabo area.
Thanks
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by tunlex01(m): 2:51am On Jan 26, 2020
EyinjuGod:
Hello all...
Please is ACCA recognised in US?
And for Nigeria,what's the cost of registering for ACCA, plus the cost of foundational exam.
And lastly, who knows a good ICAN/ACCA tutorial centre at yaba, Sabo area.
Thanks
Yes, ACCA is recognised but may not the best for US.
Check ACCA website for registration fees for Nigeria.
For ACCA center, check Ivy league at Birrel Avenue, Sabo, Yaba (behind Fidelity Bank).

See images before for US

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by EyinjuGod(f): 4:16pm On Feb 09, 2020
Thank you very much... I appreciate
tunlex01:

Yes, ACCA is recognised but may not the best for US.
Check ACCA website for registration fees for Nigeria.
For ACCA center, check Ivy league at Birrel Avenue, Sabo, Yaba (behind Fidelity Bank).

See images before for US
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by topmost1102(m): 5:16pm On Feb 09, 2020
Can I get Ican materials pls?
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by DexterousOne(m): 6:19pm On Feb 09, 2020
Karac:
Ican na scam abeg. They are after what they can get from members and not what they can offer. They offer nothing. a lot of members are unemployed or underpaid, and yet ican threaten them on delisting because of non-payment of annual subscription fee. They do not think of how to protect the interests of their members but their own. Generally, Nigeria na scam. So pathetic!

Lmao

It's a Nigerian problem
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by kenny189(m): 7:47am On Feb 26, 2020
Sales of ACCA/ICAN study materials

We want to announce to all stakeholders that ACCA/ICAN study materials(study text, text books, pathfinders, video lectures, practice & revision kits etc) are still available for sale at affordable price.

We supply materials in large quantity to various ACCA centres and ICAN centres all over the states at wholesales price. Discount is also available for retail sales.

We are known for excellence and high level of integrity.

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by adeniyiajayi: 12:51pm On Mar 16, 2020
A reputable and well established Real Estate company in Lekki, Lagos require the service of:
URGENT VACANCY FOR ARCHITECTS
Qualifications:
i. BSc/HND in Architecture or related field
ii. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the field
iii. Good managerial skills with ability to think outside the box
iv. Good communication skill
v. Ability to supervise subordinates with strong emphasis on quality control
vi. Professional Qualification will be an added advantage.
Method of Application:
Detailed CV should be sent to:
The Human Resource Manager within one week from the date of this publication
Email: urgentadverts@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To React If Your Boss always Slaps You For A Minor Mistake? / Woman Beats Up Her Boss With A Mop Stick For Sending Inappropriate Texts / ... Was Sacked For Not Dancing To 'shake Body'... Now An Employer Of Labour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.