Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) (28210 Views)

Tamilore Awolesi Offered Scholarships By 7 US Ivy League Universities / Jude Okonkwo Accepted Into All Ivy League School / Lecturer Marking Students' Note In One Of The Prestigious Universities(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by Mememan: 1:02pm On Apr 16, 2017
frankzone:
Let the tantrums begin... It's actually 'Uzoigwe' not uziogwe...
Weeyu keep quayet

Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by Mememan: 1:03pm On Apr 16, 2017
GodProtectIgbox:
grin na only Igbo's dey USA self

Were are ofonjas

1 Like

Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 16, 2017
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by happyday: 1:14pm On Apr 16, 2017
The Ivy League is a collegiate athletic conference comprising sports teams from eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States. The conference name is also commonly used to refer to those eight schools as a group beyond the sports context.

The eight institutions are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, and Yale University. The term Ivy League has connotations of academic excellence, selectivity in admissions, and social elitism.1

As for Nina, she got into all 8 except for Brown. Truly awesome!

We all can give gifts like this to our kids. It's a chain reaction. Yes, a chain reaction. Things like this don't just happen overnight, or by someone merely getting lucky. It took parents and children a lot of work. Hard work.

Stuyvesant High School's the best public school in New York, and getting in is truly remarkable on its own. It's a magnet school that prepares high school students for the best schools in the US. How?

By accepting 800 students out of over 30,000 eighth and ninth graders who take take the  2 1⁄2-hour Specialized High Schools Admissions Test each year.2 And then putting those 800 through a very rigorous, fast pace STEM and liberal arts curriculum. On full scholarship for all 4 years. $0. Just prove you're Stuy material, and then you're in.

In Nigeria, Loyola Jesuit comes close, but full-ride scholarships are very few. Students pay tuition in hundreds of thousands a year.

With this kind of curriculum, Nina was able to: -

- Write a research paper for Bio Regeneron Research on fat metabolism and longevity in C. elegans.
- Combine academics (scoring all A's), with memberships in the National Honors Society branch at Stuy and also a cheerleader.
- Run the Black Students League as president.3

Which prepares Stuy students for schools like Harvard where they want academically exceptional students, with deep achievement in an extracurricular field they're intensely passionate about.

When people say only people from certain tribes or with certain brains can get these results, tell them "No." If you're a parent, or an aspiring parent who wish to raise kids like this, you can. You'll need to pursue excellence in your field and put a lot of efforts in teaching your kids how to also pursue same.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuyvesant_High_School
3. https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/nina-uzoigwe-ivy-league-schools/

2 Likes

Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by KingLennon(m): 1:18pm On Apr 16, 2017
Bollinger:

Which country? You people can be so funny. You are commending another country for providing opportunities for your "citizen". Smh. How does this make sense to you people.
The opportunities provided for our citizen was based on merit...
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by KingLennon(m): 1:21pm On Apr 16, 2017
MrSly:

The reason why Nigeria is still a developing country is because they don't want to give opportunity to those with the intellect. Ethnicity and bigotry have beclouded Nigeria.
True talk...The bar man will give you 1 bottle of satzenbrau after man.utd game grin

2 Likes

Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by Bollinger(m): 1:24pm On Apr 16, 2017
KingLennon:

The opportunities provided for our citizen was based on merit...

We are talking about the United States of America. Of course it is based on merit. Point is, all of you are hailing the efforts of another country. If i were you all, i would shut my mouth in shame. If the same girl was in Nigeria, she would not be allowed admission into one university not to talk of seven.
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by KingLennon(m): 1:34pm On Apr 16, 2017
Bollinger:

We are talking about the United States of America. Of course it is based on merit. Point is, all of you are hailing the efforts of another country. If i were you all, i would shut my mouth in shame. If the same girl was in Nigeria, she would not be allowed admission into one university not to talk of seven.
If she was in Nigeria, she would still be offered admission based on merit. Maybe she would not be offered admission into seven universities. I know you are trying to point out the fraud and politics involved in the academic sector.
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by NwaforIgbo: 1:37pm On Apr 16, 2017
Igbos 5:1 Yorub
The game continues

3 Likes

Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by Bollinger(m): 1:40pm On Apr 16, 2017
KingLennon:

If she was in Nigeria, she would still be offered admission based on merit. Maybe she would not be offered admission into seven universities. I know you are trying to point out the fraud and politics involved in the academic sector.

Really? You are talking as if Nigeria is an island where no one else in the world knows what going on in the country. Guy, the internet exists and nothing is hidden. Question is, how likely is anything in Nigeria based on Merit? From employement to education. Guy, how likely?
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by KingLennon(m): 2:04pm On Apr 16, 2017
Bollinger:

Really? You are talking as if Nigeria is an island where no one else in the world knows what going on in the country. Guy, the internet exists and nothing is hidden. Question is, how likely is anything in Nigeria based on Merit? From employement to education. Guy, how likely?

Here we all know the state of Nigeria. But as an individual you need to do your best.
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by Nobody: 2:08pm On Apr 16, 2017
Girls doing the world proud, go girl.. wiz boy be smoking weed.
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by Bollinger(m): 2:13pm On Apr 16, 2017
KingLennon:

Here we all know the state of Nigeria. But as an individual you need to do your best.

Good point. But your best as a people is piiss poor to say the least. If your best was good enough, Nigeria would not be the cesspit it is today. There are no best efforts in Nigeria. Only the worst of the worst efforts.
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by frankzone: 2:37pm On Apr 16, 2017
nengibo:

NCAN report ready
Name: uziogwe Nina

Name source/Tribe: Efik Jews of Arochuku
It's actually Uzoigwe. (Road to heaven) not uziogwe, no follow copy copy bloggers that copied bellanaija that made the same mistake
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by bigfrancis21: 2:53pm On Apr 16, 2017
Cc Yonkijisappo
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by akigbemaru: 3:09pm On Apr 16, 2017
piratez:
Igbo's we re always ahead of the brown roofs

Where is her SAT or ACT scores? Yoruba kids usually scored perfect scores in those standardized tests than using cheerleading or AP tests. Three Igbo kids and none took SAT OR ACT TESTS. Thanks to the affirmative action as opposed to true knowledge. Biafuros and mediocrity is one.
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by fabre4: 3:14pm On Apr 16, 2017
ovokooo:
A Nigerian teen, Nina Uziogwe was accepted to seven Ivy League schools, joining a growing club of Nigerians students who have achieved the distinction.

Uziogwe, a senior at Stuyvesant High School, who plans to study medicine has her pick from among Harvard, Dartmouth, Cornell, UPenn, Columbia, Princeton and Yale.

Uziogwe's family is originally from Nigeria, and her mother says she always stressed academic performance. But Uziogwe is the first in her large extended family to be accepted to more than one Ivy League university..

She says she took a number of advanced placement classes and joined extracurricular activities, like cheerleading.

"To be able to weigh two hours of homework for class and do all the extracurriculars sort of became a challenge of balancing my work ethic with time management," Uziogwe says.
She says financial aid will be the biggest factor in determining which school to attend.
"I have five younger siblings," she says. "I don't want the idea of paying for college to be a huge burden."

Source: http://ovoko.com.ng/nigerian-teennina-uziogwe-accepted-7-ivy-league-schools-photo/

The way Yoruba's rushed into this thread to come and see a yoruba name is demeaning
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by myplaydiary: 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2017
Okezenwa:

You cant change. Bigot
are you tired of posting your bogus name and address grin

The truth is it is bigots like you that fueled and made me a bigot on this platform and I have no regrets grin

Though I am not really proud of it but as long as your kind exist on this platform, birth to more IPob monikers and death to afonja monikers grin
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by YonkijiSappo: 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Cc Yonkijisappo

lol guy how far
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by bigfrancis21: 3:27pm On Apr 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

lol guy how far

I dey o. Dis ur username na one hella unique username. cheesy I been read dis thread come rmba d oda one for front page last week or so, say make I tag you for dis one make you see. I surprise say u no drop comment for here. cheesy The headcount of Nigerians making it into ivy league schools since Harold Ekeh don reach 7.
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by YonkijiSappo: 3:36pm On Apr 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I dey o. Dis ur username na one hella unique username. cheesy I been read dis thread come rmba d oda one for front page last week or so, say make I tag you for dis one make you see. I surprise say u no drop comment for here. cheesy The headcount of Nigerians making it into ivy league schools since Harold Ekeh don reach 7.

Na so cool
But for real, you people outnumber us for US na, no be fair representation. A lot of our children dem for US na still be pikin dem be, dem go soon grow. I go find Naija people wey dey get admission for UK top league schools, Cambridge, Oxford dem. cheesy
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by Okezenwa: 3:46pm On Apr 16, 2017
[s]
myplaydiary:
are you tired of posting your bogus name and address grin

The truth is it is bigots like you that fueled and made me a bigot on this platform and I have no regrets grin

Though I am not really proud of it but as long as your kind exist on this platform, birth to more IPob monikers and death to afonja monikers grin
[/s]

Okechukwu, Tribalist and bigots like you always have excuse to their foolishness and bigotry. You have lived all your pathetic life among the afonjas you denigrate daily online, some of your friends even said they were surprised when they saw all your messages. Google is doing the needful. Lol
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by myplaydiary: 5:44pm On Apr 16, 2017
Okezenwa:
[s][/s]

Okechukwu, Tribalist and bigots like you always have excuse to their foolishness and bigotry. You have lived all your pathetic life among the afonjas you denigrate daily online, some of your friends even said they were surprised when they saw all your messages. Google is doing the needful. Lol
i don hear, in real life Afonjas are my love, but as long as nairaland is concerned I will keep dealing with tribalist and bigots like you grin

I have Afonjas on my payroll, who have dedicated all to grown our brand and image and I owe all of it to many of them tongue

But for nairaland I will keep stepping on Afonja heads that want to rub Igbo's in the mud and make Igbo's a mediocre ethnic stock grin

Continue with your google whatever you are not even close tongue as for my facebook friends no comment lipsrsealed grin grin, you are still joking tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by nengibo: 6:22pm On Apr 16, 2017
frankzone:

It's actually Uzoigwe. (Road to heaven) not uziogwe, no follow copy copy bloggers that copied bellanaija that made the same mistake
If you google the name u will see that other people bear it, weda Uzoigwe or uziogwe na still igbo
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by Okezenwa: 7:46pm On Apr 16, 2017
[s]
myplaydiary:
i don hear, in real life Afonjas are my love, but as long as nairaland is concerned I will keep dealing with tribalist and bigots like you grin

I have Afonjas on my payroll, who have dedicated all to grown our brand and image and I owe all of it to many of them tongue

But for nairaland I will keep stepping on Afonja heads that want to rub Igbo's in the mud and make Igbo's a mediocre ethnic stock grin

Continue with your google whatever you are not even close tongue as for my facebook friends no comment lipsrsealed grin grin, you are still joking tongue
[/s]

Okechukwu, The funniest thing about you is how you lie and believe your own lies. It seems its a generational thing, the way you lie sometimes surprise even the devil. Lmaoooo

Ask Segun and he will tell you whats up. Buhahahaha @payroll. Okechukwu no go kill person with lies.
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by frankzone: 7:47pm On Apr 16, 2017
nengibo:

If you google the name u will see that other people bear it, weda Uzoigwe or uziogwe na still igbo
Uziogwe ain't Igbo or any language at all
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by nengibo: 8:49pm On Apr 16, 2017
frankzone:

Uziogwe ain't Igbo or any language at all
Just google am, it fit be dialectal difference
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by frankzone: 10:06pm On Apr 16, 2017
nengibo:

Just google am, it fit be dialectal difference
I'm Igbo myself, and I have watched the original video interview from her school. Her mother equally appeared in the interview
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by myplaydiary: 12:58am On Apr 17, 2017
Okezenwa:
[s][/s]

Okechukwu, The funniest thing about you is how you lie and believe your own lies. It seems its a generational thing, the way you lie sometimes surprise even the devil. Lmaoooo

Ask Segun and he will tell you whats up. Buhahahaha @payroll. Okechukwu no go kill person with lies.
ask your Segun if he knows any okechukwu that owns/runs Byte group of supermarkets, laundromat, food processing and packaging company, and byte tech grin? Then you see you have been making a fool of yourself. grin

Not that I am okechukwu that owns byte group though but just saying grin and don't you think Yorubas will be working there tongue
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by Okezenwa: 5:06am On Apr 17, 2017
myplaydiary:
ask your Segun if he knows any okechukwu that owns/runs Byte group of supermarkets, laundromat, food processing and packaging company, and byte tech grin? Then you see you have been making a fool of yourself. grin

Not that I am okechukwu that owns byte group though but just saying grin and don't you think Yorubas will be working there tongue

Buhahaha. Okechukwu, You are confused and have no shame. You lie easily and reason you can never succeed. Try search your name on google, check reviews of your dry cleaning. Lolzz. We are getting there
Re: Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) by BLoomfrancs(m): 1:16am On Apr 21, 2017
GodProtectIgbox:
grin na only Igbo's dey USA self

Were are ofonjas

They are in Ogun evil forest killing themselves. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ifeoluwa Olofin: NBA First Female Governor General Emerges, Stirs Celebration / Help Lost My Gce Examination Number / FUTA Direct Entry 2013/2014 Thread !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.