Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,751 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) (1915 Views)

States That Voted Against Local Government Autonomy / Emir Sanusi Is Supposed To Report To Local Government Chairman Not Me – Ganduje / 'El-Rufai Is Tyrannical': Suleiman Othman Hunkuyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 3:28am On Apr 16, 2017
Intro:
Local government as the third tier of government has be starved by policies of State government by the diversion of fund, illegal deduction, and usurpation of powers. The coercive relationship between these tiers of government has led to failure of the Local government in its constitutional enshrined duties. The local government by the way the constitution is written doesn’t allow for the proper fiscal autonomy that would be necessary in federal system of governance. To ensure development Local governments, require fiscal and administrative autonomy to guarantee efficacy accountability and transparency to the citizens in their jurisdiction.

Background:
Local governments are closest to the populace so the offer the most efficient means of service delivery. This is due the fact to the fact they will notice ground level issues concerns. The mandates of local government are to carry out the delivery of said services and ensure grassroots development. Two major schools of thoughts to consider are the efficiency theory and developmental theory.

“The Developmental School, sees local government as a system that can bring about political integration in developing societies that are ethnically plural and diffuse. Where local sentiments and local attachments are very strong, local governments can use these positively to advance national growth (Ola 2007). The School is of the view that at the expense of overstressing its local peculiarities, local government becomes an instrument for national awareness and national consciousness. It can stimulate initiative, encourage drive and experimentation, identify available local skills, interests and abilities and see or get them developed in the general interest (Ola 2007).”

“The efficiency argues that what is central and important to the local government the achievement of success in providing quality services to its residents. The crux of theory therefore is that the predominant purpose for establishing local government is to provide services to the local population (Fatile, Majekodunmi, Oni & Adejuwon (2013). The foremost advocate of this theory is Langood (1953). The efficient-services theorists hold that the local government occupies the best position for the efficient performance of certain functions. This is as a result of the fact that they are the government that is closest to the people, and also the fact that they cater for a smaller population when compared to the state or federal governments. As argued by Sharpe (cited in Ola and Tonwe, 2009) the local government is the most efficient agent for the provision of those local services that they have responsibility to provide.”

In the 1999 constitution, Local government is given defined powers and authority with provisions made to them from State and federal government. Statutory functions are listed in the fourth schedule of the constitution include provision and maintenance of health services; agricultural and national resource development; provision and maintenance of primary, adult and vocational education and other functions as may be conferred on it by the state house of assembly.

Relationship and case studies:
The relationship between State and Local Governments is one of subjection. This is done through the State Joint Local Government Account that serves the undermine the local government. Illegal deductions, diversions of funds or simply usurping Local government function by awarding contracts on behalf of local government without their approval. There are many examples of illegal deductions of Local government money including that of Borno, Ondo, Lagos and Nassarawa.

“Ubani notes that: “Lagos state government constructed parks in various parts of the state with money deducted from the state and local government Joint Revenue Account. In Ondo state, government constructed a modern motor park in Akure, the state capital” (2012, p.1). Actions such as these contradict the provisions of the 1999 constitution, which provides that these projects ought to have been executed by local government.”

“According to Dlakwa (2004:121), between March 2002 and March 2003 a total of N13.3bn was available for councils in Borno State. Out of this amount the state government deducted almost half (see Table 1).”

“In November 2009, ‘the total allocation for the 20 LGs in Ogun State was N1.7 billion. But Daniel gave us N700 million, which was less than half of what was due to us. ’Before then, Oladunjoye and some of his colleagues had written to Daniel ‘to deduct only what is statutory from our allocation and specifically the amount of money due to the teaching and non-teaching staff of the Local Government Education Authority, LGEA. ’According to Oladunjoye, nothing came out of that. ‘For example, my bill for LGEA was about N28 million monthly, but the governor was deducting N39 million. That is N11 million in excess. With N11 million, I could build two or three community health centres every month. I was angry. Why should state government pay primary school teachers on our behalf? Was the federal government paying secondary school teachers on behalf of the state government?’ (Akaeze 2012, p.3).”

The Joint Allocation and Account Committee (JAAC) allows State Governments inordinate control. Most JAAC are composed of State government appointees instead of Local government. The Local government councils are hardly consulted and represented as in case of Ondo. All this transpires while State governments don’t contribute 10% IGR allocation to local governments.

Conclusion:
The performance of local government to the development of Nigeria has been abysmal so far even with all the money allocated for it. The constitution needs to be amended to make this important tier of government effective to carry out duties. Full Fiscal autonomy necessary and this goal can be accomplished by getting rid of following rules.
• Abolish State Joint Local Government Account
• Abolish Joint Allocation and Account Committee
• Direct allocation into Local government accounts
• Transparency in Local government affairs (fiscal and administrative)
• Fiscal Autonomy (pass budgets without approval of State governments)
• Local Government need to improve IGR

Works Cited:
Abdulhamid, Ozohu-Suleiman and Paul Chima. "Local Government Administration in Nigeria: The Search for Relevance." Commonwealth Journal of Local Governance, no. 18, Dec2015/Jan2016, pp. 181-195. EBSCOhost, doi:10.5130/cjlg.v0i18.4850.
Makinde, J. T., et al. "Theory, Principle and Practice of Local Governance in Nigeria." Journal of Developing Areas, vol. 50, no. 1, Winter2016, pp. 305-318. EBSCOhost, dcccd.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com.dcccd.idm.oclc.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=112811054&site=ehost-live
Okafor, Jude. "Local Government Financial Autonomy in Nigeria: The State Joint Local Government Account." Commonwealth Journal of Local Governance, vol. 6, July 2010, pp. 127-131. EBSCOhost, doi:10.5130/cjlg.v0i6.1621.
http://www.ijird.com/index.php/ijird/article/viewFile/80339/62083
https://www.omicsonline.com/open-access/local-government-and-fiscal-autonomy-for-local-government-in-nigeria-2315-7844-1-125.pdf

cc: Seun, lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by 2cato: 3:33am On Apr 16, 2017
Local govt are the worst and biggest thives on earth
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Atiku2019: 3:42am On Apr 16, 2017
Yes to Local Government Autonomy and 100% Restructuring cool

2 Likes

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 3:44am On Apr 16, 2017
Anyway yes local governments need to be empowered to do their jobs within the constitution. The fact is the state and federal government is undeniably inefficient at it. The inefficiency breeds bottom feeders in society praising federal government for building borehole as in case of Abia, praising Lagos State Governor for building pedestrian foot bridge. Worst of all citizens that should expect roads in Akwa-Ibom are groveling to governor to complete road like pathetic peasants.

If proper transparency, accountability and power given to Local government they will raise to occasion. They simple won't do that if half funds taken.

The post might be a bit long might need to cut it. If this thread bring nice discussion I make it into little series. The post is about 1000 words excluding works cited. It's probably my most well cited post.

cc: omohayek EVarn OBAGADAFFI babyfaceafrica fergie001 Keneking shaddoww BigBelleContro Pavore9 orisa37 Splashme ORACLE1975 ProsperOkec QuotaSystem Godprotectigbo5 Keneking obailala CarlosTheJackal Agumbankembu tit lightheart UcheCokoro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Kaimallamm: 3:58am On Apr 16, 2017
774 Local government should not be funded any more. From the government.

There should be no federal collecting taxes. Apart from Abuja.

When they mean federation, it means each state is financial independent . Each local government is financially independent

Not for state to want to collect revenue.
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 4:03am On Apr 16, 2017
2cato:
Local govt are the worst and biggest thives on earth

LG is imperfect but they are no different from your state governments or federal. The only difference is they have half their funds diverted and not allowed to function. What's needed is autonomy, transpency and accountability.

Kaimallamm:

What would you opt for?

1 Like

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Adminisher: 4:45am On Apr 16, 2017
Nigerians are not running the current structure well but are crying for restructuring.
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 5:10am On Apr 16, 2017
Adminisher:
Nigerians are not running the current structure well but are crying for restructuring.

The current structure is trash. We need to amend constitution. Any talk of restructuring without including LG is haphazard work.

I mean seriously did you know your local government is responsible provision and maintenance of primary, adult and vocational education. Aswell as provision and maintenance of health services. Yet we see meningitis outbreaks in north. Dilapidated roads on south like IBB way in Akwa-Ibom. You wouldn't know they are supposed to provide these services unless you read constitution or scholary journal because day to day life won't indicate that.

I just hope this gets front page since it an issue everyone can agree on. From Abia to Zamfara. All the governors behave this way.

1 Like

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by 48noble(m): 6:42am On Apr 16, 2017
we ve gud foundation in Nigeria power structure but d politicians keep rigging,ripping and stealing us dry.
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Agumbankembu: 10:57am On Apr 16, 2017
Remember when we were small and LGAs had real power, they bought us text books and share in school, dig water bore hole for communities and grade our rural roads. The LG civil service was vibrant and active, we had our problems half solved when we go to our hqtrs on issues relating to citizenship, identification and issues like that.

These days they are just there, almost snuffed out the life in them by governors. Shame.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by omohayek: 12:25pm On Apr 16, 2017
Why is it that most Nairalanders are nowhere to be found when serious topics like this are put up for discussion? What could possibly be more important than getting the LGAs to function properly, so that one no longer needs to wait for a governor or the FG's attention to get simple things like good roads, decent schools, proper sewage, trash collection and primary healthcare?

Post a thread involving tribal chest-beating or insults and Nairalanders will be all over it like flies, even though such arguments won't better their lives in any way, but write anything that requires a moment of real thought and you won't hear a peep from the tribal warriors or APC/PDP partisans - unless they can hijack the discussion to continue their e-fights. This attitude is why I say the Nigerian masses are precisely the ones to blame for their own predicament; how can they expect anything to get better when most of them don't really give a damn unless it's to make useless complaints?

3 Likes

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 12:48pm On Apr 16, 2017
omohayek:
Why is it that most Nairalanders are nowhere to be found when serious topics like this are put up for discussion? What could possibly be more important than getting the LGAs to function properly, so that one no longer needs to wait for a governor or the FG's attention to get simple things like good roads, decent schools, proper sewage, trash collection and primary healthcare?

Post a thread involving tribal chest-beating or insults and Nairalanders will be all over it like flies, even though such arguments won't better their lives in any way, but write anything that requires a moment of real thought and you won't hear a peep from the tribal warriors or APC/PDP partisans - unless they can hijack the discussion to continue their e-fights. This attitude is why I say the Nigerian masses are precisely the ones to blame for their own predicament; how can they expect anything to get better when most of them don't really give a damn unless it's to make useless complaints?

Lol thanks its is funny to see how shallow most Nairalanders are. The politicans are reflection of themselves. That's why they don't bother do any but bear minimum because they know the bottom feeders with bow to them.

Threads like this are impossible to chest beat. You can't north vs south this, can't tribalize and can't APC/PDP it.
I think I had some bad timing aswell I posted this on Easter season.

Kaimallamm:

There should be no federal collecting taxes. Apart from Abuja.

When they mean federation, it means each state is financial independent . Each local government is financially independent

Not for state to want to collect revenue.

Ok I see. If they want to end allocation system ok but they should be only for LG but also for states. LG will need to vastly improve IGR aswell. State and Federal will still need to work together though. They will receive block grants and other such funding. I say this because this pretty much how federalism going to work in marble cake fashion.

Agumbankembu:
Remember when we were small and LGAs had real power, they bought us text books and share in school, dig water bore hole for communities and grade our rural roads. The LG civil service was vibrant and active, we had our problems half solved when we go to our hqtrs on issues relating to citizenship, identification and issues like that.

These days they are just there, almost snuffed out the life in them by governors. Shame.

Its true but most people are too young to remember those times. The most efficient times of LG were colonial to prevent civil war. LG like in Lagos township provided health services, schools and other thing with their own tax revenue.

I may cover that in a part 2 on history. Part 3 will be about how to make LG percent.
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by EVarn(m): 10:47pm On Apr 16, 2017
Blue3k:

LG is imperfect but they are no different from your state governments or federal. The only difference is they have half their funds diverted and not allowed to function. What's needed is autonomy, transpency and accountability.
What would you opt for?
Nigeria needs to restructure in order to correct many anomalies in the system.Politicians these days see the LGs as only a stepping stone for future ambitions,hence,they treat the position with a lackadiasical indifference,even going as far as embezzling the pittance grudgingly released to them by the SG.
Power must first be decentralized,the SGs will automatically have more responsibilities and have no choice but to shift some of it to the LGs; this can then be followed by giving the LGs fiscal autonomy.If fiscal autonomy is given to the LGs with our current unitary federalism,politicians would only commandeer the public funds for their bid to get to the centre.
PS: I have noticed that Blue3k looks quite handsome..hmm

1 Like

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by 9japride(m): 10:52pm On Apr 16, 2017
The local government people are not serious, the last time they wanted to make them autonomous they said they are OK with d governors running their affairs
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 1:42am On Apr 17, 2017
9japride:
The local government people are not serious, the last time they wanted to make them autonomous they said they are OK with d governors running their affairs

I didn't read that anywhere can you link us to that story. LG sued in Borno over their deductions back in 2002. Then we have example of disgruntled LG in states like Ondo.

Cases were brought to supreme court over governor having right to fire LG chairmen at will. The case that cemented the LG rights and democratic valued by revoking that rule. A chilling effect was in place due to that rule. Now we have NULGE are the ones taking on this initiative to get more power to LG.

I'm sure alot of them are just lazy good for nothings, that's why I suggested they need to be completely transparent in finaces. No funny business like state governors do with Paris refund or say the will give full account at end at end of tenure lIke Rochas.

EVarn:
Power must first be decentralized,the SGs will automatically have more responsibilities and have no choice but to shift some of it to the LGs; this can then be followed by giving the LGs fiscal autonomy.If fiscal autonomy is given to the LGs with our current unitary federalism,politicians would only commandeer the public funds for their bid to get to the centre.
PS: I have noticed that Blue3k looks quite handsome..hmm

First thanks for compliment I appreciate it. Now I agree with restructuring and decentralisation. It's kind of contradiction local government are fully autonomous but at same state governments can siphon funds.

I listed solutions in conclusion. The states only can siphon funds through SJLGA and control finaces throgh JAAC. The government if it wants to send allocation to LG should do it directly like IBB did in 1985. Last thing would be they should be able to pass budgets without State assembly butting in. NASS doesn't jump in their affairs even when half of them almost went insolvent without Paris fund bailout.

1 Like

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by 9japride(m): 5:31am On Apr 17, 2017
Let me search for the link for u. The governors are corrupt
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by naijalander: 7:15am On Apr 17, 2017
But Local govts have also proved to be inefficient even more corrupt than the other two tiers.

Blue3k:
Anyway yes local governments need to be empowered to do their jobs within the constitution. The fact is the state and federal government is undeniably inefficient at it. The inefficiency breeds bottom feeders in society praising federal government for building borehole as in case of Abia, praising Lagos State Governor for building pedestrian foot bridge. Worst of all citizens that should expect roads in Akwa-Ibom are groveling to governor to complete road like pathetic peasants.

If proper transparency, accountability and power given to Local government they will raise to occasion. They simple won't do that if half funds taken.

The post might be a bit long might need to cut it. If this thread bring nice discussion I make it into little series. The post is about 1000 words excluding works cited. It's probably my most well cited post.

cc: omohayek EVarn OBAGADAFFI babyfaceafrica fergie001 Keneking shaddoww BigBelleContro Pavore9 orisa37 Splashme ORACLE1975 ProsperOkec QuotaSystem Godprotectigbo5 Keneking obailala CarlosTheJackal Agumbankembu tit lightheart UcheCokoro
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 9:17am On Apr 17, 2017
naijalander:
But Local govts have also proved to be inefficient even more corrupt than the other two tiers.

You should reread bolded section I addressed your concerns. States control and divert finaces. Second State Assembly approves their budgets and has over arching powers over their affairs. They have no autonomy to function.

The State and Federal government hardly does anything to punish such behavior. Look at how federal government stepped in to build borehole in Abia. The LG and State received allocation for 25 years before FG stepped in to build borehole.

The state could set up committee to watch out for LG curruption like in case of Kogi and Benue but they dont. Most of time it's the states own doing that make LG inefficient. As argued by all the professors who look into case.

States have been caught abusing powers through illegal deductions, usurping powers, parallel revenue boards, ending tenure of LG then replacing equally ineffective care taker committee like case in Anambra, and not contributin their own 10% IGR funding to LG. I'll rest my case with 2 qoutes.

To affirm the accusations, the Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) in 2009 indicted the state Governors of abandoning their statutory responsibilities in respect of the state/local governments' joint account (Aliyu, Afolabi & Akinwande, 2013: 77-78).

George further notes that the Nasarawa state government under Alhaji Abdullahi Adamu, in collaboration with Alhaji Aliyu Bala Usman, the Commissioner for Local Governments and Chieftaincy Affairs, also: …allegedly abused the joint account system with reckless abandon by illegally withdrawing over 5 billion in 36 months from the state local government joint account belonging to the 16 local governments in the state.

1 Like

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by omohayek: 12:30pm On Apr 17, 2017
naijalander:
As Blue3k already explained, blaming the LGs for inefficiency and corruption is like blaming a man who's just been carjacked for showing up late to work! If the local governments were truly free of interference from the governors, and the elections for them were allowed to be free and fair, wouldn't it be straightforward to teem up with your neighbors to get rid of thieving or incompetent LG council members? It would certainly be much easier than getting rid of the state governors, who act as if they were little emperors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by davidif: 5:45am On Apr 24, 2017
Atiku2019:

Really?!?!?! You mean in a country of over 150 million people there are no better candidates than Atiku? Get outta here boi!
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by orisa37: 9:20am On Apr 24, 2017
This is nonsense. Local Governments are The Grass roots of The State on which a Governor is governing. Local Governments are Traditional and Cultural Territories and Responsibilities of Traditional Rulers. Henceforth Traditional Rulers are responsible for the security, safety and success of the citizens, land areas and resources of all the local Governments in their Domain.
The States elect their Governors through their own appointed inec. If they elect a Tyrant to govern them, that is Democracy.But independent or autonomous L.G.that will be earning money from somewhere other than from the Governors through Traditional Rulers, no more.
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 9:46am On Apr 24, 2017
orisa37:
This is nonsense. Local Governments are The Grass roots of The State on which a Governor is governing. Local Governments are Traditional and Cultural Territories and Responsibilities of Traditional Rulers. Henceforth Traditional Rulers are responsible for the security, safety and success of the citizens, land areas and resources of all the local Governments in their Domain.
The States elect their Governors through their own appointed inec. If they elect a Tyrant to govern them, that is Democracy.But independent or autonomous L.G.that will be earning money from somewhere other than from the Governors through Traditional Rulers, no more.

Wow this interesting to say least. Then Nigerian wonder why they don't see don't see development. Sounds like your in favor of status quo despite evidence from scholars. Also you neglect history of when LG were effective when they raise their own funds.

First explain how joking democracy is democratic? Aka caretaker comittee, controlling funds outside of elected LG and diverting revenue. How exactly do the function if state government chokes life out of them?

Is it democratic to assign contracts of behalf of LG without direct input from LG? I'm sure you want Buhari to take away your allocation money and develope state for you right.

Your ending paragraph doesn't make sense. LG are allowed to generate IGR but they all do miniscule numbers. Read the charts.

Some of the things the do might be legal but it isn't right.

1 Like

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by davidif: 9:54am On Apr 24, 2017
Blue3k:
Intro:
Local government as the third tier of government has be starved by policies of State government by the diversion of fund, illegal deduction, and usurpation of powers. The coercive relationship between these tiers of government has led to failure of the Local government in its constitutional enshrined duties. The local government by the way the constitution is written doesn’t allow for the proper fiscal autonomy that would be necessary in federal system of governance. To ensure development Local governments, require fiscal and administrative autonomy to guarantee efficacy accountability and transparency to the citizens in their jurisdiction.

Background:
Local governments are closest to the populace so the offer the most efficient means of service delivery. This is due the fact to the fact they will notice ground level issues concerns. The mandates of local government are to carry out the delivery of said services and ensure grassroots development. Two major schools of thoughts to consider are the efficiency theory and developmental theory.

“The Developmental School, sees local government as a system that can bring about political integration in developing societies that are ethnically plural and diffuse. Where local sentiments and local attachments are very strong, local governments can use these positively to advance national growth (Ola 2007). The School is of the view that at the expense of overstressing its local peculiarities, local government becomes an instrument for national awareness and national consciousness. It can stimulate initiative, encourage drive and experimentation, identify available local skills, interests and abilities and see or get them developed in the general interest (Ola 2007).”

“The efficiency argues that what is central and important to the local government the achievement of success in providing quality services to its residents. The crux of theory therefore is that the predominant purpose for establishing local government is to provide services to the local population (Fatile, Majekodunmi, Oni & Adejuwon (2013). The foremost advocate of this theory is Langood (1953). The efficient-services theorists hold that the local government occupies the best position for the efficient performance of certain functions. This is as a result of the fact that they are the government that is closest to the people, and also the fact that they cater for a smaller population when compared to the state or federal governments. As argued by Sharpe (cited in Ola and Tonwe, 2009) the local government is the most efficient agent for the provision of those local services that they have responsibility to provide.”

In the 1999 constitution, Local government is given defined powers and authority with provisions made to them from State and federal government. Statutory functions are listed in the fourth schedule of the constitution include provision and maintenance of health services; agricultural and national resource development; provision and maintenance of primary, adult and vocational education and other functions as may be conferred on it by the state house of assembly.

The relationship between State and Local Governments is one of subjection. This is done through the State Joint Local Government Account that serves the undermine the local government. Illegal deductions, diversions of funds or simply usurping Local government function by awarding contracts on behalf of local government without their approval. There are many examples of illegal deductions of Local government money including that of Borno, Ondo, Lagos and Nassarawa.

“Ubani notes that: “Lagos state government constructed parks in various parts of the state with money deducted from the state and local government Joint Revenue Account. In Ondo state, government constructed a modern motor park in Akure, the state capital” (2012, p.1). Actions such as these contradict the provisions of the 1999 constitution, which provides that these projects ought to have been executed by local government.”

“According to Dlakwa (2004:121), between March 2002 and March 2003 a total of N13.3bn was available for councils in Borno State. Out of this amount the state government deducted almost half (see Table 1).”

“In November 2009, ‘the total allocation for the 20 LGs in Ogun State was N1.7 billion. But Daniel gave us N700 million, which was less than half of what was due to us. ’Before then, Oladunjoye and some of his colleagues had written to Daniel ‘to deduct only what is statutory from our allocation and specifically the amount of money due to the teaching and non-teaching staff of the Local Government Education Authority, LGEA. ’According to Oladunjoye, nothing came out of that. ‘For example, my bill for LGEA was about N28 million monthly, but the governor was deducting N39 million. That is N11 million in excess. With N11 million, I could build two or three community health centres every month. I was angry. Why should state government pay primary school teachers on our behalf? Was the federal government paying secondary school teachers on behalf of the state government?’ (Akaeze 2012, p.3).”

The Joint Allocation and Account Committee (JAAC) allows State Governments inordinate control. Most JAAC are composed of State government appointees instead of Local government. The Local government councils are hardly consulted and represented as in case of Ondo. All this transpires while State governments don’t contribute 10% IGR allocation to local governments.

Conclusion:
The performance of local government to the development of Nigeria has been abysmal so far even with all the money allocated for it. The constitution needs to be amended to make this important tier of government effective to carry out duties. Full Fiscal autonomy necessary and this goal can be accomplished by getting rid of following rules.

Works Cited:
Abdulhamid, Ozohu-Suleiman and Paul Chima. "Local Government Administration in Nigeria: The Search for Relevance." Commonwealth Journal of Local Governance, no. 18, Dec2015/Jan2016, pp. 181-195. EBSCOhost, doi:10.5130/cjlg.v0i18.4850.
Makinde, J. T., et al. "Theory, Principle and Practice of Local Governance in Nigeria." Journal of Developing Areas, vol. 50, no. 1, Winter2016, pp. 305-318. EBSCOhost, dcccd.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com.dcccd.idm.oclc.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=112811054&site=ehost-live
Okafor, Jude. "Local Government Financial Autonomy in Nigeria: The State Joint Local Government Account." Commonwealth Journal of Local Governance, vol. 6, July 2010, pp. 127-131. EBSCOhost, doi:10.5130/cjlg.v0i6.1621.
https://www.omicsonline.com/open-access/local-government-and-fiscal-autonomy-for-local-government-in-nigeria-2315-7844-1-125.pdf

Bros, you suppose go get Masters in Public Administration.

Someone needs to force the local govts to stand on there feet afterall, at some point the baby has to grow up. They might stumble at times but they need to learn to fend for themselves shikena.

1 Like

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by orisa37: 11:01am On Apr 24, 2017
You haven't got it. I am talking to NASS to amend the Constitution and make the 36 States fully autonomous for their actions, interactions and movements. Make them source for their earnings, spendings and contributing uniformly to F.G. Decentralize INEC, Population Census and limit Federal Responsibilities to Foreign Affairs, Military and Treaties. Local Governments are alright as they are in the 1999 Constitution. Once The States are free of the Presidency's Control and or Sanctions of their Funds other than now waiting for Contributions from States, there will be Sanity in the system. In serious Management, L.G.are better directly responsible to Traditional Rulers, who in fact are natural Chairmen of their grassroots Domain and who should always team up with their State Inec to elect their Choices Governors, The Autonomous Bosses of The States.
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 11:13am On Apr 24, 2017
orisa37:
You haven't got it. I am talking to NASS to amend the Constitution and make the 36 States fully autonomous for their actions, interactions and movements. Make them source for their earnings, spendings and contributing uniformly to F.G. Decentralize INEC, Population Census and limit Federal Responsibilities to Foreign Affairs, Military and Treaties. Local Governments are alright as they are in the 1999 Constitution. Once The States are free of the Presidency's Control and or Sanctions of their Funds other than now waiting for Contributions from States, there will be Sanity in the system. In serious Management, L.G.are better directly responsible to Traditional Rulers, who in fact are natural Chairmen of their grassroots Domain and who should always team up with their State Inec to elect their Choices Governors, The Autonomous Bosses of The States.

Ok I misses point. Still you made this a new layer of complex. This raises new questions o haven't delved into. I haven't though to deeply of where Traditional rulers fit it. I won't comment too much on it since that research I haven't done.

Since my Grandpa got chieftaincy when he was alive I know a little about it. Chiefs at least in Akwa Ibom aren't fully democratic traditionaly.

Other things like decentralisation of INEC. Hmm very conservative view of the federal government. It reminds me of 18th century USA. I still disagree with view of LG under 1999 constitution but I guess we're simply at an impass.

davidif:

Bros, you suppose go get Masters in Public Administration.

Someone needs to force the local govts to stand on there feet afterall, at some point the baby has to grow up. They might stumble at times but they need to learn to fend for themselves shikena.

Thank you I appreciate it. I tried my best with topic compared to other 5 mimute post. I'm going to get higher degrees it's only going to be for sheer enjoymentioned of subject. I would pick history or economics.

1 Like

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 11:26pm On Apr 25, 2017
Atiku2019:

You need to reconsider your love for Atiku. You don't seem to know about his views on the matter. Find out what he actually means when he says restructuring. His quotes are at the bottom.

Former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar has sustained his opposition to it on the note that the local governments are sub-units of the states. Describing the agitation as misguided and “inconsistent with establishing a viable and well-functioning federal,” system

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/showdown-in-abuja/

“In 2012, I went before ALGON in Enugu and told them that their clamour for local government autonomy from state governments is misguided. I told them that it is wrong for the federal government to be creating local governments and giving them money directly from the federation account. What is the meaning of “local” then, I asked? How does the transfer of local government dependence on state to central government translate to autonomy? Even our state governments are nearly totally dependent on the federal government, meaning they do not even have the autonomy that we are trying to give to the local governments that are below them. This is a complete absurdity.”

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/showdown-in-abuja/

1 Like

Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by davidif: 4:48am On Jul 05, 2017
Blue3k:
Intro:

Background:

Conclusion:
Direct allocation into Local government accounts

Works Cited:

How about get rid of allocations? That would be much better.
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by davidif: 4:49am On Jul 05, 2017
Blue3k:
Intro:

Background:

Conclusion:

Works Cited:

Can somebody please translate this into English please?
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by Blue3k(m): 8:06am On Jul 05, 2017
davidif:

Can somebody please translate this into English please?

Lol what what you want to know? I can dumb it down for you.

davidif:

How about get rid of allocations? That would be much better.

You can if you want to amend constitution. The issue of the joint account would still exist though. It's not that cut and dry. Try reading through before commenting it helps.
Re: No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts) by networktranslat: 10:12am On Jul 05, 2017
Blue3k:

Lol what what you want to know?

You can if you want to amend constitution. The issue of the joint account would still exist though. It's not that cut and dry.
You can use this service:
ترجمه گر گوگل

(1) (Reply)

Kano Rep Supports Northern Youths On Ultimatum. / Nigeria Needs Mindset Change, Not Restructuring – Obasanjo / Atiku Abubakar Takes His 2019 Campaign To His Eatery, Gives Free Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.