Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

How Reliable Are Bmws - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Reliable Are Bmws (7184 Views)

How Reliable Are Innoson Buses For Transport Business? / This Guy Deserves An Award For His James Bond Stunt With His Bmws / Dozens Of BMWs Have Burst Into Flames Long After Owners Say They Turned Them Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Reliable Are Bmws by davizfx: 9:16pm On Apr 17, 2017
Bros I need your candid advise as I can see that you are well informed about BMW cars. I saw this BMW 3 Series naija used I so much love. It is a 2002 318i with 6 cylinders engine, mileage is around 114k. It's about 2 years in naija. And still very clean with very sound engine and gear auto. He wants 900k. I have used two Nissan's whc I enjoyed and now using a Toyota corolla. How reliable are BMW 6 cylinders engines? Isnt 900k too much for the car? Please kindly help a brother. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by PMPhoenix(m): 9:25pm On Apr 17, 2017
BMW owners make una come talk.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by erico2k2(m): 9:58pm On Apr 17, 2017
davizfx:
Bros I need your candid advise as I can see that you are well informed about BMW cars. I saw this BMW 3 Series naija used I so much love. It is a 2002 318i with 6 cylinders engine, mileage is around 114k. It's about 2 years in naija. And still very clean with very sound engine and gear auto. He wants 900k. I have used two Nissan's whc I enjoyed and now using a Toyota corolla. How reliable are BMW 6 cylinders engines? Isnt 900k too much for the car? Please kindly help a brother. Thanks
xtreemly reliable,, very few cars can compare.However 318 can never be 6 cylinder and I find it strange that a 2002 would have 114k in 9ja

2 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by nurey(m): 10:13pm On Apr 17, 2017
Am guessing it's a E46, that 318i is a I4 engine and BMW doesn't do V6 it should be I6 (straight engine). Check well if it's really 318 then it's I4 engine not I6 engine

I also love that car but nah wagon I admire most and 900k isn't too much for a clean well nurtured E46.

If you like to be mean, aggressive then the BMW is a good car anyday any time, it's just that miniature size, looks small to me but if you single, it will do.

2 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by erico2k2(m): 10:23pm On Apr 17, 2017
nurey:
Am guessing it's a E46, that 318i is a I4 engine and BMW doesn't do V6 it should be I6 (straight engine). Check well if it's really 318 then it's I4 engine not I6 engine

I also love that car but nah wagon I admire most and 900k isn't too much for a clean well nurtured E46.

If you like to be mean, aggressive then the BMW is a good car anyday any time, it's just that miniature size, looks small to me but if you single, it will do.
They now do V6s

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by nurey(m): 10:27pm On Apr 17, 2017
erico2k2:
They now do V6s
Yeah I know, I was talking about the E46

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by erico2k2(m): 10:29pm On Apr 17, 2017
nurey:

Yeah I know, I was talking about the E46
yah ok the E46 never made it to V6 just the E30

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by tolulinks(m): 11:55pm On Apr 17, 2017
davizfx:
900k too much for a BMW? And you will go and spend 1.3 mil on a used 2003 corolla. OK. Continue

11 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by elshanAutos: 1:25am On Apr 18, 2017
erico2k2:

They now do V6s
False. I6 all the way.

5 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by nurey(m): 5:30am On Apr 18, 2017
elshanAutos:

False. I6 all the way.

This is right. I thought I read somewhere that BMW was working on a new brand model to showcase V6 engines, guess that still in the pipeline.

BMW doesn't currently have any V6 engine.

3 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by davizfx: 7:10am On Apr 18, 2017
Thanks everyone I really appreciate your comments. The engine is a straight one and according to the owner it uses 6 plugs. Does that make it V6 or I6 ? Or can a I4 engine has 6 plugs?
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by dokiOloye(m): 7:18am On Apr 18, 2017
Also consider U will now have to 'upgrade' your pocket as per spending on fuel since U are 'upgrading' from a Corrola to a 6 cylinder beemer.
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by erico2k2(m): 7:26am On Apr 18, 2017
elshanAutos:

False. I6 all the way.
Speak of what you know. Have you own an E 30? Or 328i ? There are V6 V8 in the BMW Engines .
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by PMPhoenix(m): 7:38am On Apr 18, 2017
erico2k2:

Speak of what you know. Have you own an E 30? Or 328i ? There are V6 V8 in the BMW Engines .

E30s are very old models if I'm correct, the newer 328is are inline 6s i.e I6. The V8's can be found in their E39 540i or all their M cars (M cars dey costly though). I myself am thinking of getting an e39 540i, either that or a v6 accord. It all boils down to which is the more reliable of the two

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by erico2k2(m): 8:57am On Apr 18, 2017
PMPhoenix:

E30s are very old models if I'm correct, the newer 328is are inline 6s i.e I6. The V8's can be found in their E39 540i or all their M cars (M cars dey costly though). I myself am thinking of getting an e39 540i, either that or a v6 accord. It all boils down to which is the more reliable of the two
the question was not the age rather if they did V6, you should have checked if indeed they did V6 before calling my claims false.The V8 are quite new, you can find them in the X6 series and the GTs,.Google first b4 responding.
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by PMPhoenix(m): 9:01am On Apr 18, 2017
erico2k2:

the question was not the age rather if they did V6, you should have checked if indeed they did V6 before calling my claims false.The V8 are quite new, you can find them in the X6 series and the GTs,.Google first b4 responding.
I'm speaking for just their M series of cars though, they might have done a v6 with their X or Z or any other series, I wouldn't know, but as far as it's an M series, it has always been the inline engines or the v8

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by erico2k2(m): 9:17am On Apr 18, 2017
PMPhoenix:

I'm speaking for just their M series of cars though, they might have done a v6 with their X or Z or any other series, I wouldn't know, but as far as it's an M series, it has always been the inline engines or the v8
Have you driven or owned and M series b4?
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by nurey(m): 9:41am On Apr 18, 2017
erico2k2:

Have you driven or owned and M series b4?

please ooo, checking stats and also confirming online, the information is that the bmw doesnt have any V6 engine, though i dont know much about this bmw engines but give me the exact bmw and engine variant let me research it. I checked the E30 also, it doesnt have the V6 engine variant.

Note: we are only disputing V6 not another other higher V engine. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by erico2k2(m): 9:52am On Apr 18, 2017
nurey:

please ooo, checking stats and also confirming online, the information is that the bmw doesnt have any V6 engine, though i dont know much about this bmw engines but give me the exact bmw and engine variant let me research it. I checked the E30 also, it doesnt have the V6 engine variant.

Note: we are only disputing V6 not another other higher V engine. Thanks
The first M3s and M4s had V6 Engine, it was discontinued due to no producing enough toque as the straight 6 and more noise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by elshanAutos: 12:00pm On Apr 18, 2017
erico2k2:

This is amusing.
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by elshanAutos: 12:20pm On Apr 18, 2017
erico2k2:

The first M3s and M4s had V6 Engine, it was discontinued due to no producing enough toque as the straight 6 and more noise.
Lol what are you on about ? The first M3 was powered by a 2.5L i4 engine. The M4 is the successor to the M3 and it's powered by a twin turbo 3.0L i6 engine.

3 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by elshanAutos: 12:22pm On Apr 18, 2017
PMPhoenix:

Yes. The E30 is the 2nd gen 3 series. (1982-1991)
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by elshanAutos: 2:14pm On Apr 18, 2017
PMPhoenix:

The E60 M5 had a high revving and one off 5.0L V10 power plant grin E61 M5 touring and the E63/64 M6 aswell.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by PMPhoenix(m): 2:46pm On Apr 18, 2017
elshanAutos:

The E60 M5 had a high revving and one off 5.0L V10 power plant grin E61 M5 touring and the E63/64 M6 aswell.
Sorry, I meant the 3 series and 5 series had inline engines and V8's. Are there tokunbo E39 M5s or E46 M3s available in Nigeria?
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by elshanAutos: 2:53pm On Apr 18, 2017
PMPhoenix:

Sorry, I meant the 3 series and 5 series had inline engines and V8's. Are there tokunbo E39 M5s or E46 M3s available in Nigeria?
I've never seen or heard of an E39 M5 in Nigeria. Only seen and know of two E46 M3's, which are sold. But you'd have better chances getting the M3 than the M5 in Nigeria. If you can, I advice you pre-order from the US or Europe directly.
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by Asegzy: 2:57pm On Apr 18, 2017
Op.. .....you can Neva go wrong with a BMW E46.
Bmw is a solid brand and the e46 is their strongest and most reliable model.
Contrary to popular belief, it is very cheap to maintain if not cheaper than a Toyota sef and the fuel consumption is very good
I'll advise you to go for the 6 cyl 2.0-2.5l engine.
The e46 is a classic case of eating your cake and having it.
It's strong and reliable with good street rep and also easy to maintain with low fuel consumption.
I've been driving one for 4 yrs and still looks new.
Don't worry, a trial will convince you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by elshanAutos: 3:00pm On Apr 18, 2017
Asegzy:
Op.. .....you can Neva go wrong with a BMW E46.
Bmw is a solid brand and the e46 is their strongest and most reliable model.
Contrary to popular belief, it is very cheap to maintain if not cheaper than a Toyota sef and the fuel consumption is very good
I'll advise you to go for the 6 cyl 2.0-2.5l engine.
The e46 is a classic case of eating your cake and having it.
It's strong and reliable with good street rep and also easy to maintain with low fuel consumption.
I've been driving one for 4 yrs and still looks new.
Don't worry, a trial will convince you
Seconded!

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by valarinz: 6:34pm On Apr 18, 2017
elshanAutos:

Seconded!

That nigga has no manners or upbringing, wait till he jumps on one of your car sales threads to talk thrash, then you'll stop taking him serious
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by PMPhoenix(m): 12:28pm On Apr 19, 2017
elshanAutos:

I've never seen or heard of an E39 M5 in Nigeria. Only seen and know of two E46 M3's, which are sold. But you'd have better chances getting the M3 than the M5 in Nigeria. If you can, I advice you pre-order from the US or Europe directly.
What about an E39 540i, have you had any experience with those, and what's up with them in terms of reliability on raw Nigerian roads?
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by elshanAutos: 7:25pm On Apr 19, 2017
PMPhoenix:

What about an E39 540i, have you had any experience with those, and what's up with them in terms of reliability on raw Nigerian roads?
No personal experience with the E39 540i. As per reliability on Nigerian roads, it should be at par with other E39 series, as major difference is the V8 engine it's powered by. The 525i, 528i and 530i are more popular on Nigerian roads anyways.
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by PMPhoenix(m): 8:18am On Apr 22, 2017
elshanAutos:

No personal experience with the E39 540i. As per reliability on Nigerian roads, it should be at par with other E39 series, as major difference is the V8 engine it's powered by. The 525i, 528i and 530i are more popular on Nigerian roads anyways.
Alright, I like that 540 though, but I'm sure I and other young drivers our there are more 3 series inclined. So where could one order a decent but cheap M3 from (E36 or E46?........especially the E36)
Re: How Reliable Are Bmws by elshanAutos: 10:23pm On Apr 22, 2017
PMPhoenix:

Alright, I like that 540 though, but I'm sure I and other young drivers our there are more 3 series inclined. So where could one order a decent but cheap M3 from (E36 or E46?........especially the E36)
Contact me privately for further discussions , so as not to derail the thread unnecessarily.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Use 1999 Camry Cruise Control / 9 Warning Signs Your Car's Oil & Lubricant Might Be Leaking / Does A Non-lagos Plate Get Captured By Payvis.ng?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.