Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,490 members, 7,781,466 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:53 PM

Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia (13213 Views)

Some Important Facts You Need To Know About Ethiopia / Is Ethiopia, The Greatest Country On The Continent / Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 5:41am On Apr 18, 2017
I'm a couple of days old in this forum and I'm trying to interact with my fellow members. I'm learning a lot about other countries here and I'm very grateful for it, but I also want to tell about my country, so any(culture, social, economic and so on......) questions is appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by QueenSuccubus(f): 5:54am On Apr 18, 2017
grin

Aha....so where are u at the moment?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 5:56am On Apr 18, 2017
QueenSuccubus:
grin

Aha....so where are u at the moment?
I'm in Addis Ababa(Ethiopia) and you?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by QueenSuccubus(f): 6:06am On Apr 18, 2017
Hati13:

I'm in Addis Ababa(Ethiopia) and you?

grin

Im juz here in the corner tongue

So, tell us about ur culture..maybe abt tribes if u do have?

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by femi4: 6:09am On Apr 18, 2017
Hati13:
I'm a couple of days old in this forum and I'm trying to interact with my fellow members. I'm learning a lot about other countries here and I'm very grateful for it, but I also want to tell about my country, so any(culture, social, economic and so on......) questions is appreciated.
Why is Ethiopia called horn of Africa

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by femi4: 6:13am On Apr 18, 2017
2. Apart from Egypt, another African country mentioned in the Bible is Ethiopia. How big is Christianity there?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by tspouse(m): 6:26am On Apr 18, 2017
what s the name of your currency,does it have value more than naira?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Paulpaulpaul(m): 6:30am On Apr 18, 2017
Hati13:

Ethiopia was never colonized how has this affected your economy, education, and politics?

I read that Ethiopia is also a Multilingual nation is multiplicity of languages also a barrier as our case in Nigeria?

Apart from Ethiopia Airline, what else connects you to the world? Ours are Crude oil, Football, Nollywood and ofcourse, Music (Fela Kuti, Femi Kuti, Dbanj, Wizkid, etc)

Are there beautiful girls in your country as we do here? ( I don't mean flat-chested and invisible booty girls like Iara ooo, I mean girls with grabable back and forth).

Answer those and let me brush my teeth.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by DjAndroid: 6:41am On Apr 18, 2017
Why are Jamaicans obsessed with Ethiopia and Halle Sellasia? (If this is the spelling)

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:14am On Apr 18, 2017
QueenSuccubus:

grin

Ethiopia has over 80 languages. Amharic is our de facto language. We have our own writing system called Geez. We have our own calendar. It has 13 months. 30 days for the first 12 months and 5/6 days for the last month. Today is 10/8/2009. Our new year is on Meskerme 1 (September 11 or 12). We count clock differently. For example, for us the day begin at 12:00(6 A.M) and we count in a 12 hour format.

We have our own distinct Christianity known as Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox. We are the second nation or first as some say to accept Christianity. About 40% of the population is Orthodox, 30% Muslim and the rest are other forms of Christianity and religion.

Our de facto national dish is injera and different kinds of wat(stew). Most of it is advisable for vegetarians(you should try it). Our de facto traditional cloth is called Habesha libs. Our de facto traditional dance is called Esiksta. Coffee is discovered in Ethiopia and our coffee ceremony is interesting.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 18, 2017
femi4:
Why is Ethiopia called horn of Africa
Because it's found on the horn shap part of Africa(east Africa).

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 18, 2017
femi4:
2. Apart from Egypt, another African country mentioned in the Bible is Ethiopia. How big is Christianity there?
It is very big here. Christianity came here in the 4th century A.D and through time, it has evolved in it's own unique type. It's called Ethiopia Tewahedo Orthodox Christianity. Most people take their religion very seriously and they don't eat animal products on Wednesday and Friday. Prior for 30 days before Orthodox Christmas(January 7), they will not eat animal products and some of them will fast until 9:00(15 A.M). Prior from Easter, they will not eat animal products for 55 days and some of them fast until 9:00(15 A.M). There also other fasting and not eating animal products throughout the year.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 18, 2017
tspouse:
what s the name of your currency,does it have value more than naira?
The name of our currency is called Birr. The exchange rate for one Ethiopia Birr is nine Nigerian Naira and at the same time our economy is lower than Nigeria. The economic principle taken for it is complicated.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by KennyID17(m): 8:17am On Apr 18, 2017
QueenSuccubus:

grin

Good morning from this side QueenSuccubus grin grin grin
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by KennyID17(m): 8:19am On Apr 18, 2017
Hati13:

Because it's found on the horn shap part of Africa(east Africa).

From the map u uploaded, that title rightly belongs to Somalia undecided

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by KennyID17(m): 8:21am On Apr 18, 2017
Hati13:

The name of our currency is called Birr. I think it is complicated, because the exchange rate for one Ethiopia Birr is nine Nigerian Naira and at the same time our economy is lower than Nigeria. The economic principle taken for it is complicated.

Mogbe!!!! Even Ethiopia money bam pass awa currency sad

10 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 18, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:

Ethiopia was never colonized how has this affected your economy, education, and politics?

I read that Ethiopia is also a Multilingual nation is multiplicity of languages also a barrier as our case in Nigeria?

Apart from Ethiopia Airline, what else connects you to the world? Ours are Crude oil, Football, Nollywood and ofcourse, Music (Fela Kuti, Femi Kuti, Dbanj, Wizkid, etc)

Are there beautiful girls in your country as we do here? ( I don't mean flat-chested and invisible booty girls like Iara ooo, I mean girls with grabable back and forth).

Answer those and let me brush my teeth.
Ethiopia was never colonized and I think it had both positive and negative impact.
Economic - Italy had conquered some areas of Ethiopia during 1936-1941. They had build streets, houses, hotels, market places(for example a market place called Merkato is the biggest in Africa) and so on...... But since they hadn't conquered most of the area and never colonized us, they hadn't taken much resources from us.
Education - I think it had both positive and negative impact. The positive is that we are learning with our own languages until grade 6(but after that is mostly by English). The negative impact is there are no many schools and other education institutions to help us eradicate illiteracy in some parts of the country.
Political - I don't know much information about this, so it is better to not discuss it.

You are right that Ethiopian is a multilingual, so there is going to difficulty to understand each other's, but Amharic is a de facto language here and most of the people understand it. So I don't think there is much barriers in this aspect. Actually I was reading about Nigeria and I was very surprised their is more ethnic groups(about 500 if I'm correct). Can you tell me about the language barrier there if you mind?

I think what connect us to outside world other than our airline is Athletics, UN peacekeeping and tourism(you should visit Ethiopia if you can. It is one of the most beautiful country in the world).

Yes there are beautiful girls.

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by QueenSuccubus(f): 9:07am On Apr 18, 2017
KennyID17:

Good morning from this side QueenSuccubus grin grin grin

Aloha chubby booboo... grin

How u dey sha? I no feel good oo... embarassed
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:24am On Apr 18, 2017
DjAndroid:
Why are Jamaicans obsessed with Ethiopia and Halle Sellasia? (If this is the spelling)
There was a prophecy written be Marcus Garvey which stated that a black king will come to them and will lift them from the poverty life they were living at Caribbean and will relocate them to their beloved place(Africa). In 1930 Haile Sellasie became emperor and he started to fit what the prophecy stated and they started to believe that emperor Haile Sellasie was a messiah/incarnate God sent to them by God to return them to Africa. There religion is called Rastafarian, which is derived from Haile Sellasie birth name Ras Tefari(Ras is a nobility name and Tefari was his name). I think when he visited Jamaica in 1966, it rained. Surprisingly there was a drought in Jamaica at that time and there hasn't been a rain for few period of time. All things started to coincide and for them it was logical.

5 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Paulpaulpaul(m): 9:43am On Apr 18, 2017
Hati13:

Ethiopia was never colonized and I think it had both positive and negative impact.
Economic - Italy had conquered some areas of Ethiopia during 1936-1941. They had build streets, houses, hotels, market places(for example a market place called Merkato is the biggest in Africa) and so on...... But since they hadn't conquered most of the area and never colonized us, they hadn't taken much resources from us.
Education - I think it had both positive and negative impact. The positive is that we are learning with our own languages until grade 6(but after that is mostly by English). The negative impact is there are no many schools and other education institutions to help us eradicate illiteracy in some parts of the country.
Political - I don't know much information about this, so it is better to not discuss it.

You are right that Ethiopian is a multilingual, so there is going to difficulty to understand each other's, but Amharic is a de facto language here and most of the people understand it. So I don't think there is much barriers in this aspect. Actually I was reading about Nigeria and I was very surprised their is more ethnic groups(about 500 if I'm correct). Can you tell me about the language barrier there if you mind?

I think what connect us to outside world other than our airline is Athletics, UN peacekeeping and tourism(you should visit Ethiopia if you can. It is one of the most beautiful country in the world).

There are beautiful girls/women, but I don't know much about which type of body parts(I'm shy to find about in this kind of things).

Alright, my undergraduate project was on multilingualism with particular reference to Amharic and Oromo in Ethiopia. Amharic from my summation the language forced on the people by the privileged few. Oromo according to records is spoken in Kenya, Somalia and ofcourse Ethiopia. But, that is alright, since you said multilingualim is not a challenge there.

As the case in Nigeria, multilingualism is a serious problem. One that has endured both democratic and military rules. To explicate it from the outset, Nigeria does not have a history. We are different people with different but unique cultural, political and social background. These different people were forcefully fused togther in 1914 and given the name Nigeria. Nigeria never existed in pre-history like Egypt, Libya, Ethiopia and Mali.

Consequently, unholy marriage came with mutual suspicion and sabotage. The already linguistic maze was further compounded by the language of the colonial master and that landed us in the linguistic spectrum we are. In Nigeria today, we have over 250 ethnic groups speaking approximately 450 languages. So, the three major languages are Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. These three have other dialects apart from their standard forms.

The fear of dominance makes Nigeria use the "borrowed language of the colonial master" as the lingua franca. Nigeria does not have an official Language. However, Pidgin is the language of the street. Guy, you gat to see a Warri guy vibrate with pidgin you go melt, I swear.

About the girls, I mean thick girls with big buttocks, big bweast, thick arms big, tall (Huge). All I mean is breath-taking, eye-catching, black girls

Welcome to Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 18, 2017
KennyID17:

From the map u uploaded, that title rightly belongs to Somalia undecided
Ethiopia is not the only country in the Horn of Africa. The Horn of Africa includes Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia and Ethiopia.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by KennyID17(m): 9:48am On Apr 18, 2017
QueenSuccubus:

Aloha chubby booboo... grin

How u dey sha? I no feel good oo... embarassed

Weytin happun shocked shocked shocked shocked embarassed
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by QueenSuccubus(f): 9:54am On Apr 18, 2017
KennyID17:

Weytin happun shocked shocked shocked shocked embarassed

cry cry

I have a sore throat and fever after eating this...

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 18, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:

Alright, my undergraduate project was on multilingualism with particular reference to Amharic and Oromo in Ethiopia. Amharic from my summation the language forced on the people by the privileged few. Oromo according to records is spoken in Kenya, Somalia and ofcourse Ethiopia. But, that is alright, since you said multilingualim is not a challenge there.

As the case in Nigeria, multilingualism is a serious problem. One that has endured both democratic and military rules. To explicate it from the outset, Nigeria does not have a history. We are different people with different but unique cultural, political and social background. These different people were forcefully fused togther in 1914 and given the name Nigeria. Nigeria never existed in pre-history like Egypt, Libya, Ethiopia and Mali.

Consequently, unholy marriage came with mutual suspicion and sabotage. The already linguistic maze was further compounded by the language of the colonial master and that landed us in the linguistic spectrum we are. In Nigeria today, we have over 250 ethnic groups speaking approximately 450 languages. So, the three major languages are Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. These three have other dialects apart from their standard forms.

The fear of dominance makes Nigeria use the "borrowed language of the colonial master" as the lingua franca. Nigeria does not have an official Language. However, Pidgin is the language of the street. Guy, you gat to see a Warri guy vibrate with pidgin you go melt, I swear.

Welcome to Nigeria.
Tnx for the information about Nigeria. It's sad that those colonial masters created boundaries that accommodate them and now it's creating ethnic tensions throughout Africa. But since the past can't be changed and our best option is to take the positive from it and move forward. I'm sure that in the future the different ethnic groups in Nigeria will all mix with each other and a greater Nigerian identity will come. And also after many years all African people will mix with each other and also a greater African identity with come and we all be one country.

If I ask one more question again, I have read that most colonized African nations fear or react differently when they see whites in their country. Is it true? If it's true what about in the case of Nigeria? I have read from tourists who visited my country say that(the Ethiopians seems not to fear us, because they haven't been colonized and doesn't know much about us).

Welcome to Ethiopia you too!
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by KennyID17(m): 10:12am On Apr 18, 2017
QueenSuccubus:

cry cry

I have a sore throat and fever after eating this...

grin grin grin

U too corrupt cheesy cheesy

Oya take, u go dey alright cheesy cheesy grin wink

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by QueenSuccubus(f): 10:21am On Apr 18, 2017
KennyID17:

grin grin grin

U too corrupt cheesy cheesy

Oya take, u go dey alright cheesy cheesy grin wink

undecided

Abi na my mistake tat i was being gagged with a massive chocolatey popsicle? undecided cry
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by KennyID17(m): 10:36am On Apr 18, 2017
QueenSuccubus:

undecided

Abi na my mistake tat i was being gagged with a massive chocolatey popsicle? undecided cry

Abeg ooo grin grin, u know say i been no dey take sugar, be like me and stop gagging on chocolate popsicles, even if u must, go for average everyday ones wink

My ppl have a saying, too much of everything ain't good. cheesy

QueenSuccubus, pls let's not derail this educative thread.

Op, sorry sad

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:54am On Apr 18, 2017
Hati13:

Tnx for the information about Nigeria. It's sad that those colonial masters created boundaries that accommodate them and now it's creating ethnic tensions throughout Africa. But since the past can't be changed and our best option is to take the positive from it and move forward. I'm sure that in the future the different ethnic groups in Nigeria will all mix with each other and a greater Nigerian identity will come. And also after many years all African people will mix with each other and also a greater African identity with come and we all be one country.

If I ask one more question again, I have read that most colonized African nations fear or react differently when they see whites in their country. Is it true? If it's true what about in the case of Nigeria? I have read from tourists who visited my country say that(the Ethiopians seems not to fear us, because they haven't been colonized and doesn't know much about us).

Welcome to Ethiopia you too!

Amen, but that is a prayer that may not be answered by God. The worst situation in Africa is not only colonialism but leadership problems. Nigeria for instance, is polarised against: Religious/Ethnic divides. So, if greediness and selfishness is still at the fore-front of polity then may God reject that Prayer (Amen).

Your last question is hilarious, in fact, ridiculous. Nigerians are never intimidated, any Nigerian that got intimidated by any grey coloured man is practically a BASTARD. White people dread Nigerians because Yahoo guys have taken a good percentage of what colonialmasters stole from us. Despite our differences, we are smart people both inside and outside Nigeria. I'm not praising scammers but we fear no white people.

We have a good number of them in Jos, Lagos, Kano (States in Nig). Although, we have undeveloped tourist centres in Nigeria, still white people come and we mix with them. As you know, poverty is in the land, they may not get time to meet some hustling guys like mua who must work to live.

How has the war in Somalia affected Ethiopia? I ask because the civil unrest in Mali, Egypt and Libya has affected Nigeria adversely. Weapon used in those places had found it was into the hands of some unscrupulous Nigerians and created the menace Boko Haram.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 18, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:

Amen, but that is a prayer that may not be answered by God. The worst situation in Africa is not only colonialism but leadership problems. Nigeria for instance, is polarised against: Religious/Ethnic divides. So, if greediness and selfishness is still at the fore-front of polity then may God reject that Prayer (Amen).

Your last question is hilarious, in fact, ridiculous. Nigerians are never intimidated, any Nigerian that got intimidated by any grey coloured man is practically a BASTARD. White people dread Nigerians because Yahoo guys have taken a good percentage of what colonialmasters stole from us. Despite our differences, we are smart people both inside and outside Nigeria. I'm not praising scammers but we fear no white people.

We have a good number of them in Jos, Lagos, Kano (States in Nig). Although, we have undeveloped tourist centres in Nigeria, still white people come and we mix with them. As you know, poverty is in the land, they may not get time to meet some hustling guys like mua who must work to live.

How has the war in Somalia affected Ethiopia? I ask because the civil unrest in Mali, Egypt and Libya has affected Nigeria adversely. Weapon used in those places had found it was into the hands of some unscrupulous Nigerians and created the menace Boko Haram.
You are right, my question seems a bit hilarious, but I only asked because I had read their post about it. There is no other reasons than this. Now you have told me, I've known the truth.

To be honest it hasn't affected us that much. If you know we have a great and loyal military force and they are sacrificing themselves in the Somalia border and also in the mainland Somalia to keep the peace in Ethiopia and mainland Somalia. There is heavy security throughout the border and inland Ethiopia and there is no terrorism act. In the early 1990s E.C(early 2000s G.C) there were a few terrorist acts in the capital and after that heavy security started to be implemented and now their peace. The Eritrea government had planned a terrorist act(they call it "Ethiopia like Baghdad"wink, but the personals(the people who planned to act it) were arrested before they did it. Also during the Africa cup of nations final qualifying match between Ethiopia and Sudan(we qualified after 31 years absent) in 2005 E.C(2012 G.C), a couple of Somalian males had planned suicide terrorist acts, but they failed(both of them died after their bomb/s accidentally discharged in there house). I'm not being biased, but I definitely think Ethiopian is one of the most safest country in Africa if not in the world.

I mostly see terrorist acts in Nigeria almost weekly/monthly on TV. I've learned that it mostly happen in the northern part of Nigeria. I think most of it if not almost is related to Boko Haram. Do you live in the north Nigeria? Is there also terrorist acts and major crimes in central and southern Nigeria? Do you feel safe when you walk outside your house?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 12:42pm On Apr 18, 2017
KennyID17:

Mogbe!!!! Even Ethiopia money bam pass awa currency sad
What do you mean by saying "even Ethiopia"? I think it's not right to say like this. Revaluation and devaluation of foreign exchange currency has nothing to do with ones country pride.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Noneroone(m): 5:37pm On Apr 18, 2017
Op, I'll not talk about nigeria. Not every person you call a nigerian is proud to be adressed so. Go and read about Biafra. I'll not talk about it here to avoid banning. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by 9jakool: 8:12pm On Apr 18, 2017
Hati13:
I mostly see terrorist acts in Nigeria almost weekly/monthly on TV. I've learned that it mostly happen in the northern part of Nigeria. I think most of it if not almost is related to Boko Haram. Do you live in the north Nigeria? Is there also terrorist acts and major crimes in central and southern Nigeria? Do you feel safe when you walk outside your house?
Boko Haram is mostly in the Northeast of the country. Terrorism in most parts of Nigeria is negligible to nonexistent. Don't get the wrong impression from the media that all of Nigeria is Boko Haram. Nigeria is incredibly diverse and there are a lot of contrasts in different parts. The largest city, Lagos has never experienced any Boko Haram attacks. On the other hand, Maiduguri in the Northeast has had countless of attacks in the past. In many places in the Northeast affected by Boko Haran, there are curfew impose on people for safety. Other than that, It's safe to go out in most parts of Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians Are Facing Hardship – Emir Of Zazzau Says / Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? / Emir Sanusi Sacks 2 Traditional Rulers In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.