Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,016 members, 7,806,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:03 AM

How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby (1137 Views)

Piercing A Baby Girls Ears Is Wrong. Stop It. / A Baby Girl,she Is Just A Week Old. / My Husband Has Just Had A Baby With Another Woman - I Am Hurting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by lovelynk(f): 7:26pm On Jan 02, 2010
Hello all,
Most times wen i see moms thay say they want their baby to eat and eat and eat cos they r growing.
My question is,is this right,esp with the growing statistcs on child obesity.I have even heard peadeatricians talk abt over feeding a baby.
so pls moms,how much food is enough/too much for a baby under 1.
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by mamagee3(f): 8:53pm On Jan 02, 2010
Logical Reasoning would help you dictate how much is too much for a baby. wink
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by lovelynk(f): 9:16pm On Jan 02, 2010
yeah,logical reasoning i know,but i asked the quetions based on my observation from some ppl
sometimes,they dont think there is the need to regulate and that is y i asked,ok
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by Outstrip(f): 9:31pm On Jan 02, 2010
A lot of Nigerian women think that way. I think my two year old eats too much but I always get the "give him all he can eat abeg" from them. It is a dangerous habit
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by coolier(f): 10:25pm On Jan 02, 2010
If an adult eats too much, the food, instead of being enjoyable becomes unbearable and one feels like puking. The same applies to babies under 1yr, I would take the first six months as breastfeeding and they don't stop eating until they're full. If you're giving solids after 4-6 months, there's always some instructions to follow in whatever it is you're feeding them.
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by 28Schweet(f): 12:15pm On Jan 04, 2010
One year old, breakfast, luch and dinner, plus snacks in between, your pudding dish should be an indication of how much to feed the child. Processed foods are the biggest culprits when it comes to obesity.

One thing i've observed about naija mommies is that (where i'm at) is that they don't hesitate to give the sweet stuff, it doesn't matter the age of the child. even giving fizzy drinks is not an issue,

for me, snacks are yoghurt, dried fruit, fibre biscuits, juice/water and tartrazine free chips, of course when going out, the girls can have macdonalds, fish fingers with chips and chicken strips, but it shouldn't be the norm,

feed the child when it's hungry, not when you want to keep it busy,    cool
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by MissIfe(f): 12:56pm On Jan 04, 2010
I agree with the previous answers. I think a baby knows exactly how much he/she should eat. I know some moms who always follow the instructions instead of listening to their baby, I personnally think the baby can regulate himself: sometimes he might it a lot and at other times just eat very little,

Apart from avoiding processed food, I also make sure that i don't use food as comfort/reward, food is food, and baby will be able to eat the same no matter what his behavior was that day.
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by ifyalways(f): 5:09pm On Jan 04, 2010
Just to add to Miss Ife and 28Schweet ;
    * Offer foods that are nutritious and well balanced.
    * Set a good example by eating with kids and making healthy choices
    * Dont use food as a reward or punishment
    * Let children decide when they've had enough to eat
    * Encourage exercise or physical activities.
    * Be a  model. When we drink a diet soda or eat standing up reading a magazine,our kids are watching and learning.
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by lovelynk(f): 3:16am On Jan 07, 2010
Thanks,everyone for your response.Am learning.
I think my baby eats a lot and most ppl i talk to say its ok but i am not satisfied wt such answers.
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by Fhemmmy: 2:49am On Jan 09, 2010
I remember when i was young and my baby sister will eat till she cant eat anymore.
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 09, 2010
as much as possible, cut out sugar.

btw, if a baby is under 1, wont it still be on liquids?
Re: How Much Food Is Too Much For A Baby by Outstrip(f): 9:04pm On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

as much as possible, cut out sugar.

btw, if a baby is under 1, wont it still be on liquids?

LOL. Nope. My boys were eating chicken wings at around 10 months. Just watch them closely though. They can also eat semi solids like pudding and even eat pounded yam. I don't know what it is with pounded yam and ogbono soup but just about every african baby I know love it

(1) (Reply)

17-year-old Girl Gives Birth To Baby Boy In Kirikiri / A+ / The Ups And Downs Of Living With A Gorilla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.