Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,959 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

Fake Prophet Flees Home After Stealing Corps Member’s 500 Dollars(photos) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Fake Prophet Flees Home After Stealing Corps Member’s 500 Dollars(photos) (418 Views)

Lady Being Pacified After A Fake Prophet Duped Her Of N2m, Today(Pics) / Girl Flees Home After Being Beaten For Losing Her Virginity / Nigerian Detained In Turkey After Promising To Turn Paper Into Dollars(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fake Prophet Flees Home After Stealing Corps Member’s 500 Dollars(photos) by Nobody: 7:51am On Apr 19, 2017
A self- acclaimed prophet in one of the orthodox churches in Lagos State , Moses Edwin , has been arrested by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad for allegedly stealing $ 500 .

The 50 - year - old , who also operated as a bureau de change agent , was said to have connived with some other suspects to steal the sum from a National Youth Service Corps member , Adebayo Lookman .

Lookman was said to have approached Edwin in the Ikeja area of the state, seeking to exchange $ 5 , 000 belonging to his mother , for naira .

The suspect was said to have tricked the victim into releasing the dollars to another gang member , Daniel Ebhohimen , who he claimed would confirm if the money was complete .

While Eghohimen was counting the $ 100 notes , another member of the gang allegedly distracted the victim, who was monitoring the process .
Eghohimen was said to have slipped five notes from the money .

PUNCH Metro learnt that the transaction was scuttled after a disagreement between the parties on the exchange rates.
Before Lookman could realise what had happened, the suspects had allegedly fled the scene.

The victim, in his statement to the police , said Edwin had initially promised to convert the money at an exchange rate of N 387 to a dollar .

He said, “ When I got to a hotel around the Ikeja area , I met the men who said they were bureau de change operators . After negotiating back and forth , they offered to exchange the $ 5 ,000 at the rate of N 387 to a dollar .

“They took my details and said the transaction would be done online. Edwin requested that I surrender the $ 5 ,000 for confirmation .

“Reluctantly, I released the money . But I was monitoring and counting along with them in my car . Midway into the counting, another member of the gang distracted me from the driver’s side . Thereafter , they handed back the money to me , saying that it was complete and we headed for one of the banks in the Opebi area.

“All along , they prevented me from counting the money . At the bank , they told me the rate they gave me was no longer possible and that they were backing out of the deal; but I offered a renegotiation .

“I told them to excuse me and went into a toilet to confirm the money . I counted it and discovered that $ 500 was missing. Before I could come out , they had run away . A security guard told me he saw them rushing out of the bank . ”
He said he went to where he met the suspects and discovered they had disappeared.

Lookman said he , however , sighted Edwin around the area three days later and alerted the police , who arrested him.
According to the police , Edwin confessed to the crime, adding that he got N 10 ,000 from the theft .

He allegedly denied following the gang to the bank , saying he only asked them to “finish up the transaction . ”

The suspect reportedly begged for an amicable settlement of the case , promising to refund the $ 500 .

The state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Olarinde Famous- Cole , confirmed the incident.

He said the suspects had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department , Yaba , for further investigations.

Re: Fake Prophet Flees Home After Stealing Corps Member’s 500 Dollars(photos) by absoluteSuccess: 8:05am On Apr 19, 2017
Those bureu de change guys at Opebi are smart Alecs, they will swindle you like a baby.

That Allen Junction is often a drama centre for old fraudsters and fraudstees.

You can't always get your money complete dealing with them.
Re: Fake Prophet Flees Home After Stealing Corps Member’s 500 Dollars(photos) by devilmaycry: 8:23am On Apr 19, 2017
a fool at 40 is a fool forever....

(1) (Reply)

Man Stabs FUT Minna Postgraduate Lover To Death. / Horrifying Moment 'man Disguised In A Burka Lures Schoolboy, 11,rapes And Murder / How 12-year Old Boy Tried To Poison Classmate Over First Position In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.