Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Who Can Answer This Simple Singular And Plural English Question? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Can Answer This Simple Singular And Plural English Question? (547 Views)

Who Can Answer These Questions? / This English Question Is On Trend! 99% Haven't Got It Right / 2018/2019 Waec Literature In English Question And Answer Released Via (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Answer This Simple Singular And Plural English Question? by isholafisayo(m): 5:20pm On Apr 19, 2017
Good day to all.
My question goes thus;
If 1year is singular, and 2years is plural and we've had an understanding that if 2, it's plural, and if 1, it's singular, How about 1 and half, will it be referred to as 1 and half years or 1 and half year, since it's more than one and not up to 2?
Please I'm asking this question because I want to learn which I believe others can learn, please I need matured response with reasons, thanks you.
Re: Who Can Answer This Simple Singular And Plural English Question? by ajacenr4sure(m): 5:22pm On Apr 19, 2017
one and half years
Re: Who Can Answer This Simple Singular And Plural English Question? by thesicilian: 5:25pm On Apr 19, 2017
One year and a half
One and a half years. Both are correct. The more standard is the second (one and a half years), reason being that as long as it is more than one, the plural form takes effect.
Re: Who Can Answer This Simple Singular And Plural English Question? by isholafisayo(m): 5:34pm On Apr 19, 2017
ajacenr4sure:
one and half years
Thanks
Could you please give reasons for your answer?
Re: Who Can Answer This Simple Singular And Plural English Question? by Oluwasaeon(m): 5:34pm On Apr 19, 2017
ajacenr4sure:
one and half years
One and a half years
Re: Who Can Answer This Simple Singular And Plural English Question? by isholafisayo(m): 5:35pm On Apr 19, 2017
thesicilian:
One year and a half

Hummmm interesting
Could you please give reasons ?
Re: Who Can Answer This Simple Singular And Plural English Question? by dejt4u(m): 5:36pm On Apr 19, 2017
One-half is plural. Anything more than 1 is plural. It may not be up to two. Even, one-quarter is also plural.
Re: Who Can Answer This Simple Singular And Plural English Question? by isholafisayo(m): 6:33pm On Apr 19, 2017
dejt4u:
One-half is plural. Anything more than 1 is plural. It may not be up to two. Even, one-quarter is also plural.

Hummmm OK thanks for d contribution

(1) (Reply)

2017/18 FOCI Scholarship | Application Guide & Requirements / Buying ITunes card / Uniport Will Not Admit Candidates Into Department Of Geology This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.