Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,422 members, 7,781,229 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:59 AM

Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games (25380 Views)

Martins Death: NFF Orders Suspension Of NPFL Games Following Demise Of Nigerian / Rohr Reveals Plans To Watch NPFL Games / GOOD NEWS: Live Streaming Of NPFL Games To Global Viewers Starts On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by Chartey(m): 12:19am On Apr 22, 2017
naptu2:
KweseSports is coming

Haba naptu2 I expect better from you. Don't be sentimental. Let's even forget the Ghana League issue because that was because Startimes came into the picture promised the clubs more money even though DSTV gave better production.
We all know SuperSport are actually showing these African leagues as some sort of CSI. They're reinvesting profit from showing the European leagues into local football. Our local football is not profitable for them and we should give them kudos for this.
The issue here is to find out what this breach of contract was and whether SuperSport are not being highhanded. I however think SuperSport are strategically withdrawing from African football because of low returns and it's a very sad development in the short term.
KweseSports has nowhere near the financial muscle of SuperSport and there's no way they can bring a better deal than SuperSport. It's just a free-to-air TV company that can't compete with pay-tv. How many OB vans do they own? Which experience do they have in packaging live sports broadcasts? Also remember Kwese is a South African company although owned by a Zimbabwean so they'll still have the similar interests as SuperSport.

1 Like

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by naptu2: 5:16am On Apr 22, 2017
Chartey:

Haba naptu2 I expect better from you. Don't be sentimental. Let's even forget the Ghana League issue because that was because Startimes came into the picture promised the clubs more money even though DSTV gave better production.
We all know SuperSport are actually showing these African leagues as some sort of CSI. They're reinvesting profit from showing the European leagues into local football. Our local football is not profitable for them and we should give them kudos for this.
The issue here is to find out what this breach of contract was and whether SuperSport are not being highhanded. I however think SuperSport are strategically withdrawing from African football because of low returns and it's a very sad development in the short term.
KweseSports has nowhere near the financial muscle of SuperSport and there's no way they can bring a better deal than SuperSport. It's just a free-to-air TV company that can't compete with pay-tv. How many OB vans do they own? Which experience do they have in packaging live sports broadcasts? Also remember Kwese is a South African company although owned by a Zimbabwean so they'll still have the similar interests as SuperSport.

Read my third post on this thread.
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by SlyCharlie(m): 12:13pm On Apr 22, 2017
Chartey:

Kwese is a PayTV company.
They have launched in Zambia, Uganda and Ghana.
Its just one of dia channels that is Free to air, that is kwese free sports.
Its owned by. Strive Masiwa, but it is headquarted in Kenya I think, it is not south african in any way..
www.kwese.com would enlighten you.
They've got about forty world class channels.
They are launching in nigeria soon.
Go do ur research well
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by Chartey(m): 12:32pm On Apr 22, 2017
SlyCharlie:

Kwese is a PayTV company.
They have launched in Zambia, Uganda and Ghana.
Its just one of dia channels that is Free to air, that is kwese free sports.
Its owned by. Strive Masiwa, but it is headquarted in Kenya I think, it is not south african in any way..
www.kwese.com would enlighten you.
They've got about forty world class channels.
They are launching in nigeria soon.
Go do ur research well

I didn't know they had started pay TV now.
Kwese however is under Econet Wireless owned by Masiyiwa, the Zimbabwean as you correctly said but please note that it's headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa so calm down.
Even in the Ghana that they launched, it's only free to air. They bought an already existing FTA TV station and rebranded it. Kwese does not have the financial muscle to compete with even Startimes let alone SuperSport. At the end of the day football lovers will still subscribe to the service that offers the EPL, La Liga and the Champions League meaning low penetration for the others including the one that shows the NPFL.
Also remember that Startimes already shows the competitions that Kwese shows and the CSL in addition. They also have more African TV experience and so will even be a better option.
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by naptu2: 1:47pm On Apr 22, 2017
Chartey:

Kwese however is under Econet Wireless owned by Masiyiwa, the Zimbabwean as you correctly said but please note that it's headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa so calm down.
Even in the Ghana that they launched, it's only free to air. They bought an already existing FTA TV station and rebranded it. Kwese does not have the financial muscle to compete with even Startimes let alone SuperSport. At the end of the day football lovers will still subscribe to the service that offers the EPL, La Liga and the Champions League meaning low penetration for the others including the one that shows the NPFL.
Also remember that Startimes already shows the competitions that Kwese shows and the CSL in addition. They also have more African TV experience and so will even be a better option.

grin It seems that you are trying hard to make this some kind of Supersports vs others thread. He didn't say anything about Supersports' financial muscle and most people have not condemned Supersports on the thread.

1 Like

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by Chartey(m): 2:20pm On Apr 22, 2017
naptu2:

grin It seems that you are trying hard to make this some kind of Supersports vs others thread. He didn't say anything about Supersports' financial muscle and most people have not condemned Supersports on the thread.
But this thread is filled with many comments insulting DSTV. People tend to forget how much DSTV have reinvested in capacity development, showbiz and sports in this country. I think it's unfair. Let's wait and see whether any competitor will pick the NPFL rights and how good the club money and production will be. The Nigeria deal was the biggest SuperSport League deal outside South Africa.
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by naptu2: 2:36pm On Apr 22, 2017
Chartey:

But this thread is filled with many comments insulting DSTV. People tend to forget how much DSTV have reinvested in capacity development, showbiz and sports in this country. I think it's unfair. Let's wait and see whether any competitor will pick the NPFL rights and how good the club money and production will be. The Nigeria deal was the biggest SuperSport League deal outside South Africa.

If you go through this thread, you'll discover that there are more people criticising the NFA and Nigeria than there are criticising Supersports. Only a small minority are criticising Supersports.

Most of the people that have mentioned other tv networks are mentioning those networks because they want the league back on tv and they want the league to develop, not because they hate Supersports.

Or would you prefer a situation in which the league is completely off our screens?

2 Likes

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by DisGuy: 4:00pm On Apr 22, 2017
How do nigerian stations measure viewing figures?
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by masseratti: 4:58pm On Apr 22, 2017
naptu2:

If you go through this thread, you'll discover that there are more people criticising the NFA and Nigeria than there are criticising Supersports. Only a small minority are criticising Supersports.

Most of the people that have mentioned other tv networks are mentioning those networks because they want the league back on tv and they want the league to develop, not because they hate Supersports.

Or would you prefer a situation in which the league is completely off our screens?
I think its high time govt although i hate govt controlbut its high time they stop major coys doing business in Nigeria to stop advertising on pay tv generally,its killing the advert Industrt in Nigeria,we already pay to watch football,why will you show me an advert saying the UEFA champions league match is brought to you by heineken,what happens to to money I paid for subscription,is that for moon landing?

If those coys advertise on local content it will develop.

I hope they resolve the issue.
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by naptu2: 5:16pm On Apr 22, 2017
masseratti:
I think its high time govt although i hate govt controlbut its high time they stop major coys doing business in Nigeria to stop advertising on pay tv generally,its killing the advert Industrt in Nigeria,we already pay to watch football,why will you show me an advert saying the UEFA champions league match is brought to you by heineken,what happens to to money I paid for subscription,is that for moon landing?

If those coys advertise on local content it will develop.

I hope they resolve the issue.

That will never work. Force will never work. If you have a good product, people will patronise it without being forced.

I'm at an event, but when I get home I will tell you how many wealthy Nigerians have invested in the Nigerian league and how they've suffered because of it.

3 Likes

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by oyetpel(m): 5:43pm On Apr 22, 2017
naptu2:

That will never work. Force will never work. If you have a good product, people will patronise it without being forced.

I'm at an event, but when I get home I will tell you how many wealthy Nigerians have invested in the Nigerian league and how they've suffered because of it.
I have invested in it too and am suffering now.
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by SlyCharlie(m): 7:43pm On Apr 22, 2017
Chartey:

In ghana they've launched the pay tv fully.....
As a new entrant u have to admit tho that kwese is doing good.
They took the NBA, previously held by Startimes and Dstv.
They've got F1 on a delayed bases.
They've got a deal to air Sky's boxing games, that includes thee upcoming Klitchko v Joshua fight everyone is talking about. Dstv and Statimes won't air that bout.
They've also got the FTA rights to the EPL, the same one that NTA/Startimes is benefiting from.
They also got content especially in Movies nd lifestyle channels that Startimes is seriously lacking right now.
They also have the rights to the Nigerian Basketball league male and female $12million dollar deal.
Plus other minor leagues......
I use Dstv and Startimes presently... But I have to say apart from the football (Bundesliga, Seria and ligue 1) startimes is seriously lacking behind on quality content and packaging.
As u may know already, Startimes has the rights the Ghanian premier League and Tanzanian League, buh I'm not sure I have stumbled on any game from those leagues on startimes before. They only broadcast those leagues on the local affiliate channels in those various countries..
All these being said, both Kwese and Startimes have the potential to broadcast the Npfl.
The choice is left to the LMC to make a choice, that is if either of the two PAY tv coys even show interest.
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by SlyCharlie(m): 7:51pm On Apr 22, 2017
naptu2:

Well said man.
Nobody is condeming supersports. To be honest, they've done a great job wit the league for the past four years.
Too bad they had to leave, buh there shouldn't be a vaccum, hence the suggestions for replacement by another pay tv ASAP.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by oblak00(m): 11:27pm On Apr 22, 2017
geebril:

nah bruh,

basketball would fill in perfectly!

cheesy
Lol. Basketball cannot and should not be compared with football. Have you heard of El classico? London derby?
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by oblak00(m): 11:29pm On Apr 22, 2017
Oluwamuyeewa:

fixed
FiXED

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by oblak00(m): 11:31pm On Apr 22, 2017
jasawa:
That is for you only .But for me without religion and morality life has no meaning , not football.
Bro, try and watch more of football. It gives life

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by oblak00(m): 11:32pm On Apr 22, 2017
oyetpel:

Guy see original Jersey you posted.

Not the fake ones that are produced in Aba.

1 Share

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by geebril(m): 12:00am On Apr 23, 2017
oblak00:

Lol. Basketball cannot and should not be compared with football. Have you heard of El classico? London derby?
yeah ah know...

But in bball the're big games like '' Los angeles derby''(L.A clippers Vs L.A lakers) nd In euro league basketball, real madrid vs barca is also very entertaining too...
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by oblak00(m): 12:02am On Apr 23, 2017
geebril:

yeah ah know...

But in bball the're big games like '' Los angeles derby''(L.A clippers Vs L.A lakers) nd In euro league basketball, real madrid vs barca is also very entertaining too...

1 Share

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by Eldee54321(m): 7:38am On Apr 29, 2017
oyetpel:

Can you pay to watch Freiburg vs Werder Bremen? Can you mention 5 inglostadt players?

Mention 6 Torino, Chievo and Saussolo players.

Then Dstv will start showing those leagues you mentioned again.
u're talking as if there are no small clubs also in the EPL...I will reiterate d same question to u?..can u mention 8 middlesbrough, burnley and westbrom
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by oyetpel(m): 7:46am On Apr 29, 2017
Eldee54321:
u're talking as if there are no small clubs also in the EPL...I will reiterate d same question to u?..can u mention 8 middlesbrough, burnley and westbrom
Middlesbrough- Victor Valdes, Ben Gibson, Fabio, Callum Chambers, De Roon, Adam Clayton, Negredo, Adama Traore.

Burnley- Tom Heaton, Ben Mee, Micheal Keane, Westwood, Tom Brady, Ashley Barnes, Sam Vokes, Defour,

West Brom- Ben Foster, Hal Robson Kanu, Darren Fletcher, Claudio Yacob, Rondon, Chris Brunt, Morrison and the recently signed Jake Livermore.

Your question ia too cheap because i even know England Championship teams more than other small teams in Europe top flight leagues.

And i don't hate La Liga, Serie A, German Busdesliga but you can't deny the fact that EPL still have the world wide TV presence, and so most of the players in EPL are well known.
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by Eldee54321(m): 8:57am On Apr 29, 2017
oyetpel:

Middlesbrough- Victor Valdes, Ben Gibson, Fabio, Callum Chambers, De Roon, Adam Clayton, Negredo, Adama Traore.

Burnley- Tom Heaton, Ben Mee, Micheal Keane, Westwood, Tom Brady, Ashley Barnes, Sam Vokes, Defour,

West Brom- Ben Foster, Hal Robson Kanu, Darren Fletcher, Claudio Yacob, Rondon, Chris Brunt, Morrison and the recently signed Jake Livermore.

Your question ia too cheap because i even know England Championship teams more than other small teams in Europe top flight leagues.

And i don't hate La Liga, Serie A, German Busdesliga but you can't deny the fact that EPL still have the world wide TV presence, and so most of the players in EPL are well known.
hmmm well known....I hear...I will still both German n serie a are still one of the best league in the world....and they are also doing great in EUROPE compared to EPL clubs besides anyone can google those names u mentioned
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by oyetpel(m): 9:29am On Apr 29, 2017
Eldee54321:
hmmm well known....I hear...I will still both German n serie a are still one of the best league in the world....and they are also doing great in EUROPE compared to EPL clubs besides anyone can google those names u mentioned
I swear to God and on my father's grave, i wrotr it off hand.

I agree with you, but The top teams in La liga, German and Serie A are the one championing the league. Madrids (A & R), Barca. Bayern Munich, Dortmund. Juventus, Napoli, Roma.

But you know what? England is a mediocre but a fücking competitive league that get all the teams in the division involved. And the media coverage is madt. Payet played for a lowly West ham team and was selected among the best 23 players in the world. Do you Payet had been the highest assist provider in the past five years before he came to England? With that he couldn't even get into French NT, but on getting to a small club in England he was exposed to the world and everyone knew him.

Sign for a small club in England and you will definitely get media coverage.

How many German bundesliga viewers can mention the first 11 of Leipzig because they are like the Leicester of Germany. But during run in of Leicester winning PL, most people can tell you their first 11 and even their manager's name.

Do you know the name of Leipzig? Who is their captain? Who is their top striker without googling?

That's the difference between PL and other leagues.

As much as i follow La liga i can't mention six players each from Osasuna, Leganes, Eibar.

As much as i follow Serie A i can't mention six players each from Fiorentina, Palermo, Genoa.

As much as i follow Bundesliga i can't mention six players each from Wolfsburg, Schalke, Freiburg.

1 Like

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 29, 2017
@oyetopel... I Concur Wif You.. The German And Serie A Are Great Leagues.. I Dnt Like Ligue 1 Though...

I Do Follow Bundesliga Well... I Knw Most Of Their Team Players Names Bt It Dosen't Last For A Long Time...

Among Those Small Teams You Mentioned In Bundesliga, SC Freiburg Remains My Favourite... Ah Love Their Fast Play...

Based On My League Ranking... I'll Say..

(1) EPL
(2) BUNDESLIGA
(3) LA LIGA
(4) SERIE A
(5) LIGUE 1
(6) OTHERS

Just My Opinion Though...

2 Likes

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by Eldee54321(m): 7:03pm On Apr 29, 2017
oyetpel:

I swear to God and on my father's grave, i wrotr it off hand.

I agree with you, but The top teams in La liga, German and Serie A are the one championing the league. Madrids (A & R), Barca. Bayern Munich, Dortmund. Juventus, Napoli, Roma.

But you know what? England is a mediocre but a fücking competitive league that get all the teams in the division involved. And the media coverage is madt. Payet played for a lowly West ham team and was selected among the best 23 players in the world. Do you Payet had been the highest assist provider in the past five years before he came to England? With that he couldn't even get into French NT, but on getting to a small club in England he was exposed to the world and everyone knew him.

Sign for a small club in England and you will definitely get media coverage.

How many German bundesliga viewers can mention the first 11 of Leipzig because they are like the Leicester of Germany. But during run in of Leicester winning PL, most people can tell you their first 11 and even their manager's name.

Do you know the name of Leipzig? Who is their captain? Who is their top striker without googling?

That's the difference between PL and other leagues.

As much as i follow La liga i can't mention six players each from Osasuna, Leganes, Eibar.

As much as i follow Serie A i can't mention six players each from Fiorentina, Palermo, Genoa.

As much as i follow Bundesliga i can't mention six players each from Wolfsburg, Schalke, Freiburg.
man u're right...when it comes to coverage..the are d best.....thumbs up man
Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by naptu2: 7:09pm On Apr 29, 2017
Tune to Kwese Sports for fight night live.

1 Like

Re: Supersport Stops Broadcast Of Live NPFL Games by tck2000(m): 8:58pm On Jan 17, 2020
Sapiosexuality:
Are we a caused country? Why can't we create a Satellite TV that will remove the dominance of DSTV in Football Broadcast? Remove football from DSTV and it us like every other television.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Desire Oparanozie's Goal Nominated As The Most Beautiful Goal In The French Cup / Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / Super Eagles Amazing Stats In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.