Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President (13240 Views)

Nigerian Lecturers Spend Tetfund Research Grants On Cars, Houses – Tetfund / 80% Of University Lecturers Are Quacks - Shehu Chindo Yamusa / "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by IkpuMmadu: 10:06am On Apr 21, 2017
Well, I strongly believe that one of the greatest challenge in Nigeria System of education,especially in the Technology world is lack of conducive environment. I always make an advocacy that, IT innovation parks should be sighted at least in each geopolitical zone. It’s well known that if you train accounting students, you build financial institutions, if you train medical personnel’s you build medical facilities and training centres , then if we see the importance of IT in Nigeria there should be need for Innovation Centres, China of today started from somewhere and Nigeria Can start from somewhere. Let there be an innovation Centre, some technologies that is new to us today are already outdated in some countries, because there’s is no supportive research centres. The curriculum need serious attention, majority of the higher institutions are still offering some “outdated” courses and they have refused to upgrade. It’s hard for you to see a computer science graduate from especially public institution with a specialization, either in Digital Marketing, Networks, Hardware, Graphics, software engineering, etc. and every academic session over 10,000 (Ten thousand) Computer Science Students graduates from one higher institution or the other, the big question remains. Which company/firms are ready to absorb these graduates?, which innovation center in Nigeria can breed this fresh graduates?. Imagine what this country would turn to be if only 1/10 of these fresh graduates are actually useful to the IT industry. This country will build a silicon valley soon.

Well, it’s a big mystery, but the truth has to be said, there is nothing like a computer lab or research lab, talk more facilities of lab with internet connection for research work. I could remember the first time I entered a room that has a few dilapidated system was in my second year when we went for CSC 201 lecture and after that day there was nothing like a practical class again. It’s really embarrassing and I strongly believe this is also applicable to higher institutions in Nigeria. With my Position as the National President I have received lots of complaints about IT students complaining of issues of poor computer laboratories and practical courses, although we have limited intervention to this issues, but we as a body have tried to collaborate with many ICT training centres to organize very subsidised fees to up to 70% discount just to make sure that our members don’t come out of the higher institution half baked.

http://etimes.com.ng/2017/04/21/most-of-nigerian-university-lecturers-has-bluntly-refused-to-update-themselves-onwugbolu-michael-tochukwu/

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 21, 2017
Coupled with outdated textbooks.

They need to upgrade the curriculum.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by femolacqua(m): 10:13am On Apr 21, 2017
MhizTenderly:
Coupled with outdated textbooks.

They need to upgrade the curriculum.
You've said it all.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by veekid(m): 10:26am On Apr 21, 2017
Wor do u expect? When your president and those in charge of the country are old niccurs

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by AntiWailer: 10:26am On Apr 21, 2017
yea.
Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by babyfaceafrica: 10:26am On Apr 21, 2017
How is this news?....but don't generalize sha....but some students sef lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by topmarks: 10:27am On Apr 21, 2017
military zone
keep off!
Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by charlydamianpat(m): 10:28am On Apr 21, 2017
abi
Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 21, 2017
See who is talking
Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by Nobody: 10:29am On Apr 21, 2017
OP has a point

However most of the issues raised are systemic.

Even if you bring a tech wiz with his bright ideas, he'll soon get trapped in the highly political drive for "promotion" that thrives in many of our public universities.

After marking time on the same grade for a few years, our poor revolutionary will realize that the game isn't really all about helping people learn, but about whose good books to be in, and which behinds to kiss...

So he falls in line.

And the story goes on. Sad.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by LMohd(m): 10:29am On Apr 21, 2017
ok
Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by izzou(m): 10:29am On Apr 21, 2017
Sometimes, I wonder if attending the University was really worth it.

Graduates are littered everywhere with irrelevant knowledge.

grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by greatgod2012(f): 10:30am On Apr 21, 2017
True!
Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by clems88(m): 10:30am On Apr 21, 2017
Abeg who new method EPP undecided after all whether new or old , it doesn't guarantee one a good job in this country angry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by ChetaNwaeze: 10:30am On Apr 21, 2017
This is true, especially those lecturers in our Universities in Igboland. All our lecturers and teachers in Igboland are terrible. Calling them half baked scholars is even a compliment.

I remember my encounter with a certain Professor Okoye in UNN. This man cannot construct a single sentence in English Language. Imagine a University Don saying ''told him that I have went''

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by olapluto(m): 10:31am On Apr 21, 2017
With the very high number of Nigerians graduating with first class from top world universities, I expect things to be changing at our Universities in Nigeria. Unfortunately, the people who recruit into these unis are not serious about quality. Also, the salary of the most junior lecturer should start from about 750k a month.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by eph12(m): 10:31am On Apr 21, 2017
Is it only old methods? Most still use notes they prepared 10-20 years ago.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by miteolu(m): 10:31am On Apr 21, 2017
Universities in Nigeria is like advanced Secondary schoolsl.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by mrmrmister: 10:32am On Apr 21, 2017
Nigerian Lecturers are more interested in flaunting their veto power.

Useless monkeys

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by eph12(m): 10:32am On Apr 21, 2017
olapluto:
With the very high number of Nigerians graduating with first class from top world universities, I expect things to be changing at our Universities in Nigeria. Unfortunately, the people who recruit into these unis are not serious about quality. Also, the salary of the most junior lecturer should start from about 750k a month.
750k why?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by SIRmanjar(m): 10:32am On Apr 21, 2017
Ehhe! So upon say dem dey use old system student still dey fail anyhow if dem come use mordern system wetin go come happen..How our northern broders go catch up with mordern system when dem never understand old system finish?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by marksooyinmiebi(m): 10:34am On Apr 21, 2017
Just imagine. There's no difference with me and someone studying mathematics... tf I'm studying? It's computer science for f* sake.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by eph12(m): 10:34am On Apr 21, 2017
clems88:
Abeg who new method EPP undecided after all whether new or old , it doesn't guarantee one a good job in this country angry
No but if they teach students to be creative, innovative and proactive then we probably might see a better country.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by Donmichaelz(m): 10:35am On Apr 21, 2017
I hate all lecturers,,,,I remember when I asked a lecturer question in English,in lautech, he used Yoruba to ask me what did I get in Waec(English) I said C he said oloriburuku,,,I has A in my time,,,,,

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by holyboss: 10:35am On Apr 21, 2017
olapluto:
Also, the salary of the most junior lecturer should start from about 750k a month.

Can you provide a reasonable reason why this should be an element of discussion at the senate?

Otherwise, i'd say you are a failed entity who has mistaken money for value.

olapluto:

To reduce brain drain of our brightest brains, and reduce corruption in the profession. Thats the equivalent salary of most lecturers worldwide.

Equivalent you say?

I'm sure you had a F in Economics. Just answer this question: is living expenses parallel?

Is living expenses in US, UK, SA, and the likes comparable with what is obtainable here in Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by millionboi(m): 10:35am On Apr 21, 2017
lol

#thy no dey edit dia handout self..
Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by clems88(m): 10:36am On Apr 21, 2017
olapluto:
haba bros 750k too small make it round figure grin that means gate man their will earn up to 300k. Please contest for president coming election you shall be voted in so yu can actualize your imaginary dream cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by IkpuMmadu: 10:36am On Apr 21, 2017
LoL

yOUR FUNNY

SIRmanjar:
Ehhe! So upon say dem dey use old system student still dey fail anyhow if dem come use mordern system wetin go come happen..How our northern broders go catch up with mordern system when dem never understand old system finish?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by ednut1(m): 10:37am On Apr 21, 2017
This country is doomed abeg.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lecturers Are Still Using Old Methods To Teach - NACOSS President by olapluto(m): 10:37am On Apr 21, 2017
eph12:

750k why?
To reduce brain drain of our brightest brains, and reduce corruption in the profession. Thats the equivalent salary of most lecturers worldwide.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Effective/powerful Is The Jamb Admission Letter / All African Students Union Honour Prince Ishola With Africa Leadership Award / Steve April: The Father Of April Fool.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.