Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree (48937 Views)

Faith Onyekachukwu Ojumah, McPherson University Best Graduating Student (Photo) / Burn Survivor Celebrates The End Of Her Degree Exams (Photos) / Lady Expelled From Covenant University In 300L, Becomes Best Graduating Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Chartey(m): 11:36am On Apr 21, 2017
And the doctor and her degree lived happily ever after.

Angie Hamouie is getting married... to her medical degree.

The 27-year-old from Houston, Texas is graduating from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston in June and she’s celebrating by throwing what she has dubbed a “graduwedding.”

There’s going to be a wedding-style dress, a first dance with the diploma and, of course, graduwedding cake. Hamouie even created a website on wedding website The Knot to announce her union with her M.D.

“This was such a big deal for her, because it was the culmination of three degrees and nine years of higher education,” Hamouie’s Knot page reads (in third-person, like so many wedding announcements). “Her match represented everything she had worked toward. Angie realized this graduation would only happen once in her life. She wondered, why is it that no one really celebrates their graduation? And if she threw a party, how could she convey that this party was a Big Deal?”

So, after her “ enmatchment,”
Hamouie planned a graduwedding. The party is set for May 13, and she’s invited friends and family to come join her on her big day.

“I didn’t think folks would take this party seriously because it was ‘only’ a graduation,” Hamouie told The Huffington Post. “I wanted to convey that this milestone is a huge deal for me, and I thought the best way to do that would be by pretending to marry my degree.”
Hamouie, who is going into Obstetrics & Gynecology, explained that, for women, it’s especially important to celebrate a successful career just as much as we celebrate engagements and weddings.

“I feel that for women especially, we feel pressure to choose one or the other: the career or the marriage. And when we really only celebrate weddings, it sends a loud message about what we’re expected to prioritize,” she said. “The message I ultimately want to send with my graduwedding is that getting an education is a huge feat, and it should be celebrated as such.”

We couldn’t agree more, Angie. Scroll below to see some truly amazing photos from Angie’s graduwedding photo shoot.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58f674c0e4b029063d34bb1e

9 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by whitebeard(m): 11:39am On Apr 21, 2017
weirdo. !!

11 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by cassidy1996(m): 11:42am On Apr 21, 2017
I don't think she's ok

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by mikky4764(f): 11:45am On Apr 21, 2017
Some pple dey craze sha

14 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Chartey(m): 11:47am On Apr 21, 2017
mikky4764:
Some pple dey craze sha
She made a good point with this symbolic act.

10 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Chartey(m): 11:57am On Apr 21, 2017
Lalasticlala
Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Tallesty1(m): 12:02pm On Apr 21, 2017
I pity the cucumber and other fruits she's going to molest.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 21, 2017
She suffered to get the degree I guess.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by babyfaceafrica: 2:03pm On Apr 21, 2017
Na she sabi
Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Famocious(m): 2:03pm On Apr 21, 2017
I wish her a fulfilling conjugal bliss with her certificate...

Marriage is not for everyone though .. cool

9 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by tayo4ng(m): 2:04pm On Apr 21, 2017
stupidity of the highest order
Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by highchief3(m): 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2017
I don't think I will let her treat me oooo..
Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by AngelicBeing: 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2017
Tallesty1:
I pity the cucumber and other fruits she's going to molest.

grin grin

9 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by oheni(f): 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2017
onyinbo people and their wired life...smh
Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by smartty68(m): 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2017
I don't Understand...

1 Like

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by generalbush(m): 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2017
Live at Ikeja tomorrow!!

Attend the Nairaland pool party !! Visit my signature for more details!!
Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by RaeMystix: 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2017
She's trying to make a point.

2 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Linderoster: 2:07pm On Apr 21, 2017
Great
Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 21, 2017
First to comment
Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by samebony1: 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2017
Different strokes for different folks
Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Blackchampion(m): 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2017
ifada123:
This my not apply but accommodate it.
How do you feel about using songs to teach mathematics in secondary schools. since students can remember song lyrics easily?
Am going to test it on my jss1 students , formed some songs for
1 simplification of fractions
2. Angles
3. Perimeters
4.areas of plane shape
5 volume
6 statistics.
YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE
I feel dat wud be good. PM me when u come up with the Songs/Lyrics
Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by bikerboy1(m): 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2017
grin Oyibo and Madness grin

Very soon they hold her like this

5 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2017
Mad-adona

3 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2017
It's a her hustle, her life, her certificate....

1 Like

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by viexcey(f): 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2017
I understand her point but the concept is a No no and she went far with the pre wedding photos.

3 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by ichommy(m): 2:10pm On Apr 21, 2017
MOGBE

4 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by Anaconda76: 2:10pm On Apr 21, 2017
People dey craze shaaaaaa

1 Like

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by holatimmy(f): 2:11pm On Apr 21, 2017
If she were a Nigerian..I'd probably conclude that

1.No one in her family has ever achieved something this great.
2.She wanted to show off to those who said she was a coconut head.
3.She bought all handouts,attended inconvienient classes,went to night class and did every life sapping things done in Nigerian Universities and so she was happy it wasn't all a waste

But wait undecided she is not a Nigerian
So I wish her Happy married life...

4 Likes

Re: American Graduating Doctor Marries Her Degree by RaeMystix: 2:11pm On Apr 21, 2017
American folks do fight everyday. That's no surprise grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See The Results My Neighbor's Daughter Got From School / “You Feeds Us In School...” Placard Carried By Katsina Pupils (Pictures) / Alexandra Shoneyin Recognised By Obama For Her Academic Excellence - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.