Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,853 members, 7,806,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) (2243 Views)

A Family’s Reaction When Their Daughter Came Home Amid The Coronavirus / 11-Year-Old Girl Impregnated By 50-Year-Old Brother-In-Law Gives Birth In Guinea / Family Cries Out As Their Daughter's Oyinbo Husband Cremates Her Without Notice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by Everfrank(m): 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2017
When Jenna Cook went back to China at the age of 20 to search for her birth parents, she knew she was unlikely to succeed. What she didn't expect was that she would meet dozens of families who desperately hoped she was their lost child.

Near a busy bus station in the Chinese city of Wuhan, on 24 March 1992, someone left a baby to be found. It's quite likely that they watched and waited from a safe distance until the girl was spotted. She was picked up and taken to the Wuhan Children Welfare House, close by. There she was given a name, Xia Huasi, meaning "China's", and assigned a birth date chosen at random by the director of the home.

China's one-child policy meant that families faced heavy fines for having too many children. But it was also - and still is - illegal to give up unwanted children. There was no formal adoption process.

But just days later China passed a law allowing foreign nationals to adopt, and at the end of June an American primary school teacher, Margaret Cook, came to collect Xia Huasi. She renamed her Jenna and took her home to Massachusetts.

Jenna was one of the first wave of about 200 Chinese babies to go to American families. Many others followed - an estimated 80,000, mostly girls, have now gone to live in the US, and an additional 40,000 to the Netherlands, Spain and the UK.

Jenna always knew that she was adopted. "We would talk about adoption just like we would talk about what's for dinner. It never felt like something that was a big deal," she says.

Nevertheless, she sometimes wondered where she came from.

"Even just looking at your own belly button, you think to yourself: 'Oh, I used to be attached to another human being. That's the body I came from, but who is that? Does that person even really exist?' It all seems so abstract. It sometimes just feels like you appeared on the planet.

"Most people are just born into the families they're born into and they never think twice about it. Whereas for adopted people there is always this possibility of another life."

1 Like

Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by forreelinc(m): 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2017
angry mtchew she no even fine sef
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by pretee246(m): 12:48pm On Apr 22, 2017
make dem decide her na..

S-P
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by devilmaycry: 12:56pm On Apr 22, 2017
nicee
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by GloriaNinja(f): 12:59pm On Apr 22, 2017
WHO CARES?
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by doyinbaby(f): 1:12pm On Apr 22, 2017
forreelinc:
she is fine o

3 Likes

Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by giftedheart1(m): 1:17pm On Apr 22, 2017
forreelinc:
I wonder how"pretty " ur gal is
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by mikky4764(f): 1:20pm On Apr 22, 2017
forreelinc:

u be wan claim her?
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by forreelinc(m): 6:40pm On Apr 22, 2017
mikky4764:

u be wan claim her?

angry eh? This one wey no fine?
I dash you
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by forreelinc(m): 6:45pm On Apr 22, 2017
giftedheart1:
I wonder how"pretty " ur gal is
cool wonder no more baby

1 Like

Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by forreelinc(m): 6:45pm On Apr 22, 2017
doyinbaby:
she is fine o
angry no she aint
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by mikky4764(f): 7:38pm On Apr 22, 2017
forreelinc:

angry eh? This one wey no fine?
I dash you

ha ha ha ha
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by giftedheart1(m): 10:04pm On Apr 22, 2017
forreelinc:

cool wonder no more baby
I pity u... What if this girl's boyfriend is on this platform?

2 Likes

Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by SolexxBarry(m): 12:07am On Apr 23, 2017
giftedheart1:
grin grin savage,why evils
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by jerrytim8496(m): 12:36am On Apr 23, 2017
grin
SolexxBarry:

grin grin savage,why evils
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by Nobody: 4:28am On Apr 23, 2017
This is the problem with adopted children, they are never satisfied with the person(s) who cared for them and saved their lives, they will rather go back to the one who abandoned them and left them to die.
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by forreelinc(m): 6:23am On Apr 23, 2017
giftedheart1:

angry HOW DARE YOU?!
Kneel down there raise up your hands and close your eyes
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by chukxie(m): 6:43am On Apr 23, 2017
forreelinc:
angry mtchew .she no even fine sef

You thought those families claimed she was their daughter because she was pretty? No! They claimed she was theirs because they either gave up a daughter for adoption or lost one - stolen from them. Have you ever heard of missing children?
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 23, 2017
forreelinc:
cool wonder no more baby
Her nose like mini-spade tongue
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by forreelinc(m): 8:37am On Apr 23, 2017
chukxie:

You thought those families claimed she was their daughter because she was pretty? No! They claimed she was theirs because they either gave up a daughter for adoption or lost one - stolen from them. Have you ever heard of missing children?

What's this one saying? how does your story justify her not being pretty?

crotonite:
Her nose like mini-spade tongue

tongue hater! Kneel down der
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 23, 2017
Y'all like to post stories without sources. I wanted to read more about her story but you included no source. I'll Google it anyway.
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by bignero: 9:43am On Apr 23, 2017
giftedheart1:

Ur bad man grin

Am sure he didn't catch ur drift, him for de wail

NotOfThis:
Y'all like to post stories without sources. I wanted to read more about her story but you included no source. I'll Google it anyway.

Do na
Why tell us?
Re: See The Girl Claimed By 50 Families As Their Daughter (photos) by giftedheart1(m): 7:17pm On Apr 23, 2017
bignero:

Ur bad man grin
Am sure he didn't catch ur drift, him for de wail

Do na Why tell us?
just trying to be concerned

(1) (Reply)

Help Me With My Dilemma / The Most Beautiful Female Name You Know. / Sad: Kate Henshaw Nuttal Divorces Her White British Husband!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.