Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,701 members, 7,802,085 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

The Power Of Choice - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Power Of Choice (6671 Views)

Mystical Power Of The Psalms / The Power Of OBEYING LAW By Dr Myles Munroe (law Vs Grace) Animated / Open Heavens Daily Devotional(wed. 20/12/2017) A Matter Of Choice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Power Of Choice by Hardeysolution(m): 6:51am On Apr 23, 2017
Ephesians 1:12

God has given us the power of choice, but once we have made the choice, it has power over us.

The Bible is filled with illustrations of decisions with which people were faced and the result of the choices they made. Joseph chose to forgive those who had cruelly mistreated him rather than harbor bitterness. Samson chose to follow lustful desires rather than God's plan for his life. Abraham chose to trust God and demonstrate that trust by being willing to offer his son as a sacrifice. Judas chose to betray Christ for financial gain. Of the two thieves crucified on either side of Jesus, one chose to mock Him while the other chose to trust Him.

The choices of Joseph, Abraham, and the thief who trusted Christ brought unbelievably wonderful results. God honored Joseph's faithfulness and forgiveness by raising him from the prison to the palace and reuniting him with his father and brothers. God honored Abraham's faith by providing a substitute sacrifice and blessing his ensuing generations with strength and multiplication. God honored the thief's choice by promising him a home in Heaven (just as He promises to anyone who will trust Him for salvation).

On the other hand, the choices of Samson, Judas, and the mocking thief brought consequences that they did not foresee when they made their decisions. Both Samson and Judas ended their lives by suicide. Samson lost the delivering power of God and ended his life a slave-his eyes gouged out and doing the job of an animal while being mocked by God's enemies. The unbearable guilt Judas felt after betraying Christ brought him to the end of a noose where he hanged himself. The mocking thief will forever be regretting his decision to reject Christ as he spends eternity in Hell.

God has given each of us the power of choice, but once we have made our choice, we have no power to choose the consequences. Consider Eve's choice in the Garden of Eden. Even after God gave Adam and Eve every good thing in the Garden of Eden, when Satan tempted Eve to take of the one tree God had forbidden, she yielded.

Satan suggested to Eve that she could be her own god, making her own decisions based on her own reasoning: "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil" (Genesis 3:4-5). This temptation to be ones own god appeals to many Christians today. They want to be the one in control.

God does give us a free will-power to choose who we will obey-just as He gave to Adam and Eve. But notice that once Adam and Eve made their choice, they had no control of the consequences. "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" (Romans 5:12).

When you are faced with temptation, remember the power of choice. You can choose to yield to temptation, but once you have made that choice, you cannot choose the consequences. On the other hand, as a Christian, you can choose to yield to the Holy Spirit (Romans 6:13). Once you have made that choice, you will find the consequences are the unabated blessings of God (Romans 6:22). Choose today, through the power of grace, to yield to the Holy Spirit.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Power Of Choice by couragekebs(m): 7:00am On Apr 23, 2017
FP material
Re: The Power Of Choice by Katier00(f): 7:20am On Apr 23, 2017
wonderful piece op. you just made my Sunday

2 Likes

Re: The Power Of Choice by jmoore(m): 10:26am On Apr 23, 2017
Whenever I hear some folks screaming 'It is only be the grace of God', I shake my head.

Grace of God will not make the choice for you.

3 Likes

Re: The Power Of Choice by COdeGenesis: 10:27am On Apr 23, 2017
Did JUdas IScariot have a choice? If he didnt sell JEsus would JEsus have died. I just believe there are somethings that are destined to happen. No matter what you do or the choices you decide to make, it must definitely happen.

https://www.nairaland.com/3757594/residents-summon-ekpo-masquerades-chase

4 Likes

Re: The Power Of Choice by mamatayour(f): 10:28am On Apr 23, 2017
jmoore:
Whenever I hear some folks screaming 'It is only be the grace of God', I shake my head.

Grace of God perfects ones choice

4 Likes

Re: The Power Of Choice by ObasanjoQuotes: 10:28am On Apr 23, 2017
Awesome piece.

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Choice by Tazdroid(m): 10:29am On Apr 23, 2017
COdeGenesis:
Did JUdas IScariot have a choice? If he didnt sell JEsus would JEsus have died. I just believe there are somethings that are destined to happen. No matter what you do or the choices you decide to make, it must definitely happen.

True words.

Whatever happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way.
Re: The Power Of Choice by jmoore(m): 10:29am On Apr 23, 2017
mamatayour:
Grace of God perfects ones choice
Some of the so called 'men of God' that committed adultery, wasn't grace sufficient enough to help them?

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Choice by Tazdroid(m): 10:30am On Apr 23, 2017
jmoore:

Some of the so called 'men of God' that committed adultery, wasn't grace sufficient enough to help them?

Chai, dis your question get as e be

Re: The Power Of Choice by patrickmuf(m): 10:30am On Apr 23, 2017
So you think the decision Judas took to betray Jesus was as a result of choice rather than a predetermined event bound to happen in order to fulfil the prophecy?
When the bible says he knows your end from the very beginning, do you really think whatever happens to you is under your control?

5 Likes

Re: The Power Of Choice by siie: 10:30am On Apr 23, 2017
ObasanjoQuotes:
h
awon omo onile 60/120 grin grin
Re: The Power Of Choice by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 23, 2017
The power to choice does not hold under Christian believe given the nature of God. Though I understand why most Christian still believes that we have the power to choose and on the other hand believes that God fashioned the world to serve His purpose and His alone, because believing otherwise undermine the very thing the nature of God is built on.

For instance God being all powerful and all knowing with the ability to influence or alter one's path, Him not altering one's choice is His altering one's choice. By not choosing for you, He is choosing for you since He has the ability to do both. Whatever "choice" He makes is a choice that affects yours.

Moving away from Christian theology to social science the decision you make today is a function of the sum total of all your life experiences to that point - by implication your choice to choose is been driven by circumstances.
Re: The Power Of Choice by ObasanjoQuotes: 10:33am On Apr 23, 2017
siie:
awon omo onile 60/120 grin grin
grin grin
Re: The Power Of Choice by Ginaz(f): 10:33am On Apr 23, 2017
God please help us, we are humans. make choices for us.

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Choice by babyfaceafrica: 10:33am On Apr 23, 2017
patrickmuf:
So you think the decision Judas took to betray Jesus was as a result of choice rather than a predetermined event bound to happen in order to fulfil the prophecy?
When the bible says he knows your end from the very beginning, do you really think whatever happens to you is under your control?
confirm...sometimes..some things are beyond our control

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Choice by babyfaceafrica: 10:34am On Apr 23, 2017
COdeGenesis:

you have a point

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Choice by patrickmuf(m): 10:34am On Apr 23, 2017
COdeGenesis:

I didn't even see this before responding to the topic, OP, let's see how you spin this one
Re: The Power Of Choice by Coolcash1: 10:36am On Apr 23, 2017
The management and board of Nigeria”s foremost bank, First Bank, have a lot of explanation to do to the Nigerian and global audience particularly their customers over alleged underground financial recklessness going on in the bank in which top management and board members have been fingered as masterminds.

The full details of the dealings contained in a petition by a human rights group obtained by thegazellenews.com revealed that about N50 billion was involved in the spurious loan deals which revolves around the top management and board members of the bank.
The petition, by the Social and Economic Rights Derivatives Centre, thegazellenews.com can revealed, has been forwarded to various agencies, institutions and top government officials in the banking sector for action and investigation.

The petition signed by the Executive Director of the group, Comrade John Eyinayya and dated April 12, 2017, has been forwarded to the following:
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
The President of the Senate,.Senator Bukola Saraki
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara
The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Banking, Insurance and other Financial Institutions, Senator Rafiu Adebayo Ibraheem
The Chairman of the Presidential Committee on Corruption, Professor Itse Sagay.

A copy of the petition currently in possession of thegazellenews.com, the Social and Economic Rights Derivatives Centre is asking the aforementioned bodies to investigate the Chairman of the FBN Holdings Plc, Mr Ayoola Oba Otudeko; former Group Managing Director of the bank, Dr Bisi Onasanya; and former Chairman of First Bank, Prince Ajibola Afonja over alleged “financial recklesness and dangerous insider deals”.
In the petition, the human rights group wants the Group Chairman of the FBN Holdings Plc, Mr Ayoola Oba Otudeko investigated alongside with the management of First Bank for allegedly collecting N29 billion from the bank through FBN Trustees and having the said loan curiously and dubiously written off without the knowledge and consent of the bank’s shareholders.
Thegazellenews.com also gathered through the petition that Otudeko also took a N9 billion Sun Trust credit line from First Bank without following due process.

It was also alleged that an unspecified huge billions of naira was allegedly siphoned from the bank through a company named Sinod Petroleum while the sums of N4.82 billion and N4.7 billion were suspiciously and dubiously released to Broadwaters Resources Limited and Nujutek Nigeria Limited respectively without due process. In her internal audit report, the Client Audit Executive of the bank, Uduak N. Udoh, submitted thus:
“The term loan of N4.7 billion approved in August 2015 but disbursed to Nujutek Nigeria Limited in October 2105 purportedly to commence Terminal Shipping Operations and Logistics was packaged and approved without proper credit analysis and due process.
“The facility was purposefully arranged to pay down the facility of N4.82 billion, packaged in the name of Broadwaters Resources Limited in February 2015.

The approval process and grid for this earlier loan was also intentionally circumvented by top management staff of the bank”.
Apart from Otudeko, other top former and current staff fingered in the huge loan scam are:
Bisi Onasanya, former GMD/CEO with staff number 013946
Abiodun Odubola, former Executive Director of the bank with staff number 023687
Cecilia Majekodunmi, ex-General Manager with staff number 007240
Omolade O Olawore, former Deputy General Manager and ex-Head, Credit Risk Management Department with staff number 019379
Olayemi O Agboola, Deputy Manager, Credit Analysis and Processing Department with staff number 019368
Nwanguma Olufunmilayo, Assistant General Manager and former Group Head, CBMG, Lagos Island with staff number 026562
Nduka U Dike, Manager who is the Business Manager of CBMG, Marina Lagos with staff number 025515 and
Idode Stephen Ikhazuagbe, Relationship Manager, CBMG, Marina Lagos with staff number 026536.

The petitioners viewed the underground financial dealings going on in First Bank as a big threat to the development and growth of the nation’s economy hence the need d it to be properly investigated with perpetrators made to face the wrath of the law.

https://breaking.com.ng/nigeria/exclusive-n48b-loan-fraud-rocks-first-bank-how-otudekos-n29b-loan-was-written-off-without-due-process-other-details/
Re: The Power Of Choice by COdeGenesis: 10:37am On Apr 23, 2017
patrickmuf:
I didn't even see this before responding to the topic, OP, let's see how you spin this one

Jesus actually said someone will betray him. He already knew it was JUdas. Even PEter that denied Jesus three times, he had a choice
,he didnt want to deny Jesus because he loved his master,but when the D-day came my guy deny Jesus three times, he had to deny Jesus or else he would have died

2 Likes

Re: The Power Of Choice by GoodandBad007: 10:38am On Apr 23, 2017
Baba God abeg help me to always make d right choice o. Na beg I de. Business and Family decisions .
Re: The Power Of Choice by ademasta(m): 10:38am On Apr 23, 2017
Cool
Re: The Power Of Choice by passyhansome(m): 10:39am On Apr 23, 2017
If not for this we wouldn't have Atheist and pagans
Re: The Power Of Choice by BIGTinfotech: 10:40am On Apr 23, 2017
Great piece op
Re: The Power Of Choice by LordIsaac(m): 10:41am On Apr 23, 2017
Tazdroid:

True words.

Whatever happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way.
He was told "one of you would betray me today..." That, in itself, is sufficient to turn the heart of a would-be betrayer. It is written, but Judas made the choice. Think about it. Just as it is written today that some will go to hell, you have a choice to make that declaration pass you by.
However, I believe God knows how each of us would end up.
Re: The Power Of Choice by seggzz(m): 10:44am On Apr 23, 2017
Hardeysolution:
Ephesians 1:12

God has given us the power of choice, but once we have made the choice, it has power over us.

The Bible is filled with illustrations of decisions with which people were faced and the result of the choices they made. Joseph chose to forgive those who had cruelly mistreated him rather than harbor bitterness. Samson chose to follow lustful desires rather than God's plan for his life. Abraham chose to trust God and demonstrate that trust by being willing to offer his son as a sacrifice. Judas chose to betray Christ for financial gain. Of the two thieves crucified on either side of Jesus, one chose to mock Him while the other chose to trust Him.

The choices of Joseph, Abraham, and the thief who trusted Christ brought unbelievably wonderful results. God honored Joseph's faithfulness and forgiveness by raising him from the prison to the palace and reuniting him with his father and brothers. God honored Abraham's faith by providing a substitute sacrifice and blessing his ensuing generations with strength and multiplication. God honored the thief's choice bypromising him a home in Heaven (just as He promises to anyone who will trust Him for salvation)

On the other hand, the choices of Samson, Judas, and the mocking thief brought consequences that they did not foresee when they made their decisions. Both Samson and Judas ended their lives by suicide. Samson lost the delivering power of God and ended his life a slave-his eyes gouged out and doing the job of an animal while being mocked by God's enemies. The unbearable guilt Judas felt after betraying Christ brought him to the end of a noose where he hanged himself. The mocking thief will forever be regretting his decision to reject Christ as he spends eternity in Hell.

God has given each of us the power of choice, but once we have made our choice, we have no power to choose the consequences. Consider Eve's choice in the Garden of Eden. Even after God gave Adam and Eve every good thing in the Garden of Eden, when Satan tempted Eve to take of the one tree God had forbidden, she yielded.

Satan suggested to Eve that she could be her own god, making her own decisions based on her own reasoning: "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil" (Genesis 3:4-5). This temptation to be ones own god appeals to many Christians today. They want to be the one in control.

God does give us a free will-power to choose who we will obey-just as He gave to Adam and Eve. But notice that once Adam and Eve made their choice, they had no control of the consequences. "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" (Romans 5:12).

When you are faced with temptation, remember the power of choice. You can choose to yield to temptation, but once you have made that choice, you cannot choose the consequences. On the other hand, as a Christian, you can choose to yield to the Holy Spirit (Romans 6:13). Once you have made that choice, you will find the consequences are the unabated blessings of God (Romans 6:22). Choose today, through the power of grace, to yield to the Holy Spirit.
If your God gave you the ability to choose from the available choices He created, why would HE still punish you for your chosen choice?

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Choice by coputa(m): 10:48am On Apr 23, 2017
jmoore:

The grace of God can take decisions for you,it's God that manipulates the heart of man,so his grace is a pathway to progress.
Re: The Power Of Choice by Johnnyakins: 10:49am On Apr 23, 2017
I Love this BT I believe destiny can't be changed it can only be delayed
Re: The Power Of Choice by Omoluabi16(m): 10:54am On Apr 23, 2017
Ginaz:
God please help us, we are humans. make choices for us.
How are you dear, did you go to church.
Re: The Power Of Choice by coputa(m): 10:55am On Apr 23, 2017
seggzz:

If your God gave you the ability to choose from the available choices He created, why would HE still punish you for your chosen choice?
He also gives you the ability to know what is good and bad.
Re: The Power Of Choice by olowobaba10: 10:56am On Apr 23, 2017
THIS ARTICLE MIGHT BE THE POSTER'S OPINION BUT WE ARE ONLY LIVING BY THE SPECIAL GRACE OF GOD AND HIS GOODNESS AND NOT BY OUR OWN CHOICES OR RIGHTEOUSNESS , THINGS DOES NOT TURN OUT BY THE CHOICE WE MADE MOST TIMES .
Re: The Power Of Choice by dilini(m): 11:05am On Apr 23, 2017
woodcook:
The power to choice does not hold under Christian believe given the nature of God. Though I understand why most Christian still believes that we have the power to choose and on the other hand believes that God fashioned the world to serve His purpose and His alone, because believing otherwise undermine the very thing the nature of God is built on.

For instance God being all powerful and all knowing with the ability to influence or alter one's path, Him not altering one's choice is His altering one's choice. By not choosing for you, He is choosing for you since He has the ability to do both. Whatever "choice" He makes is a choice that affects yours.

Moving away from Christian theology to social science the decision you make today is a function of the sum total of all your life experiences to that point - by implication your choice to choose is been driven by circumstances.

Hmmm..... You made sense psychologically

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why you don't need a spiritual father or mother!!! / Winners Chapel 21-day Prayer And Fasting 2024 Prayer Points / Matthew 10:28 : Fear God Who Can Throw Us Into Hell? - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.