Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,491 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? (87904 Views)

What's The Difference Between NOUN Certificate & Regular University Certificate? / Chukwununso Nomeh, Prisoner Is NOUN Overall Best PG Student In Enugu / Has Anyone On Nairaland Gotten A Job Using Open University(noun) Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by trytillmake(m): 7:16am On Apr 24, 2017
NOUN is as reputable as any university in the world, don't let anyone deceive u, it is both an online and conventional university, 100% accredited worldwide, u can use yr certificates anywhere. check out this link foe worldwide accredited universities http://whed.net/results_institutions.php NOUN dey there kampe, so my Bro. no wahala and infact the future of University Education is Distance Learning.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by idu1(m): 7:18am On Apr 24, 2017
Dereformer:

you want to know the truth that will set you free?

then this is it: NOUN certificate is not relevant. In fact, private uni certificate is preferred to it.

Shut up!

What do u know.

18 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by abiolap: 7:21am On Apr 24, 2017
Hello nairalanders
Pls wat is current naira rate to dollar
Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Partnerbiz(f): 7:22am On Apr 24, 2017
People don't value anything easy to get so much. Open varsity is easy to get.
Again, check if the course is accredited. They are having issues with some courses, for eg. The Nigerian Law School has refuses to accept their candidates.

We don't have some info about you that might have assisted us in advising you properly.
If that is your first degree, you may do well to go to a conventional uni. Otherwise proceed.

Also age is another factor, if you are young, you may just sit Jamb and go to a varsity or poly if you dont get varsity and may change after OND or even take another Jamb while at poly. ( I heard there is a new policy that students already in uni won't be be given another admission through Jamb, verify all these).

At the end: Just make some money whether school or no school. After sec school, I was damn smart and could do anything.
Don't even know if varsity stymied me or not.

You can flash my no and I will call you with my airtime so we talk.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by idu1(m): 7:23am On Apr 24, 2017
Marthynx10:
Happy Sunday my people. Straight to my question, I want to know how relevant is a certificate in National Open University of Nigeria in our society? I am about to enroll for a programme but want to be sure before I do. Can her(NOUN) certificate be compared to other higher institution's? How is it rated?
God bless you all for your candid contributions.

Noun is recognised federal university. Don't let all these uninformed people to deceive you. Some are even comparing it to private university. The certificate is all accepted anywhere in the world.

10 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Olotubodmas(m): 7:25am On Apr 24, 2017
Noun certificate is recognized. Try it

4 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Baasebaa0570(m): 7:25am On Apr 24, 2017
Marthynx10:
Happy Sunday my people. Straight to my question, I want to know how relevant is a certificate in National Open University of Nigeria in our society? I am about to enroll for a programme but want to be sure before I do. Can her(NOUN) certificate be compared to other higher institution's? How is it rated?
Hi dear, I am happy to receive your question about education decision you are planning to make. This section of our service has become more important to many people since we are constantly making decisions that will reshape our future in a positive path.

National Open University of Nigeria is an accredited University in Nigeria and so has the full right to award degree certificates to any of her approved programmes by National Universities Commission of Nigeria. Since NOUN offers most of her programmes online, many Nigerians have found themselves in the circle of debate on how recognised NOUN degree is?

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by jaxxy(m): 7:28am On Apr 24, 2017
Marthynx10:

Hmmm. Thank you for your contribution. Please do you have any idea of any other relevant programme I can take in a higher institution?
Note: I am currently working, so cant take a full time programme.

My frnd did it and he got a nice job and doing well. So don't know wat the other guys talking about. I think it an advantage for people when u hv working experience to go with it tho.

5 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by stancod(m): 7:32am On Apr 24, 2017
Kockane:

ABU has an online distance learning program. You an look it up. I'm currently running mine there and though it's still early stages, looks good thus far. All the best.
Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by stancod(m): 7:32am On Apr 24, 2017
Kockane:

ABU has an online distance learning program. You an look it up. I'm currently running mine there and though it's still early stages, looks good thus far. All the best.
bro pls info on how to register
Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Kazrem(m): 7:34am On Apr 24, 2017
Marthynx10:
Thank God someone brought up this topic and it made FP. I have been thinking I will make post on it but it keeps skipping my mind. Now let me tell you this.

On Saturday I went to see a nurse who is a NOUN student but has not been taking her course serious in a hospital. She then told me that she must graduate with at least second class upper. She said the reason why she had not been taking her courses serious was because she thought the certificate is not recognized until when her seniors in the profession got promoted to higher level (level 15, she said) in the promotion Lagos state did recently.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Jaiyeola24(m): 7:35am On Apr 24, 2017
brogxy:
NOUN/part time programs was created for those already working, but the admission problems in Nigeria made secondary school leavers to seek them.
Their downside is that u can't serve and u know most companies ask for NYSC certificate.
bros NOUN graduate started serving last 2 years o , they have started mobilizing them for service though I don't know how relevant the certificate is.

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Nobody: 7:38am On Apr 24, 2017
Those saying NOUN certified is nor recognized/worthless are saying this out of ignorance. NOUN certificate is recognized by Nigerian employers and even outside the country. They also get drafted for NYSC.

8 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Nobody: 7:41am On Apr 24, 2017
Marthynx10:

You could do a part time program in either Yabatech, UNILAG (DLI) or Laspotech

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by maclatunji: 7:44am On Apr 24, 2017
It is a recognized university for its properly accredited courses. This is the same for any other university, but if you don’t have money, don't try to attend NOUN.

6 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by maclatunji: 7:46am On Apr 24, 2017
jaxxy:

My frnd did it and he got a nice job and doing well. So don't know wat the other guys talking about. I think it an advantage for people when u hv working experience to go with it tho.

Don't mind the ignorant people making noise.

4 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by hafeenah(f): 7:46am On Apr 24, 2017
I can't advice you to go to noun not all companies recognized them
I will advice to go to university of Ibadan dlc.am a product of UI DLC.i left NOUN and went to UI cos I was not satisfied. Am proud to be a product of ui.u can Google it online UI DLC

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Sojebrand(m): 7:49am On Apr 24, 2017
Dereformer:

then this is it: NOUN certificate is not relevant. In fact, private uni certificate is preferred to it.

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Baasebaa0570(m): 7:50am On Apr 24, 2017
Marthynx10:
You see, we are just not a degree awarding university, even though we have some aspect of our program that are degree based. Talking about degree, our university is a federal university accredited by the National Universities Commission like any other federal university in Nigeria. We have programs approved for students to study first degree in various areas, master degree including PHD level. (doctor of philosophy), The Open University has such schools as well as a post graduate school.

3 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Professurr(m): 7:51am On Apr 24, 2017
What defines a recognised certificate by employers?
Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Sojebrand(m): 7:54am On Apr 24, 2017
hafeenah:
I can't advice you to go to noun not all companies recognized them
I will advice to go to university of Ibadan dlc.am a product of UI DLC.i left NOUN and went to UI cos I was not satisfied. Am proud to be a product of ui.u can Google it online UI DLC

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by buddyosan: 7:56am On Apr 24, 2017
You cannot say anything about NOUN if you are an outsider.I am an insider(400 Level student of NOUN).All the courses in NOUN are accredited by NUC including Law and BSc Nursing.But the National Assembly(Senate Committee on Tertiary Education)is handling the CLE/Law School issue at the moment.Accordingly,the only course you cannot apply for for now is Law.Every other course,you are good to go.And if you may know,the best MSc. Sociology postgrad student in last session Unilag is a BSc Criminology graduate of NOUN.So,don't say anything about NOUN if you don't know shit about it.NOUN is a Federal University, though young, like every new idea, is developing,improving everyday.The only caveat is that you cannot pass ANY COURSE if you are not ready to study hard.You cannot bribe any lecturer because your scripts are marked anonymously.Check Webometric,you'll see that NOUN has been ranked 15th best Uni in Nigeria in just a few years.In another 5 years,you'll be surprised about the quality of training in this school

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by samazeezat(m): 7:56am On Apr 24, 2017
Dereformer:

what sort of truth is that? there is nothing wrong with NOUN certificates, in fact I obtained my M.ed from NOUN and iam currently using it to work and upgrade my status. Do you know that NOUN educational system is not for a lazy and indolent students? Iam a recipient of NOUN and conventional university
wish the questioner the very best!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by adegeye38(m): 8:03am On Apr 24, 2017
Marthynx10:
see Noun is a federal university, the first of its kind in west africa specially designed for work and study, its like a normal school, dey go for Nysc too

4 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Bakare19: 8:06am On Apr 24, 2017
beatzone:
NOUN is reckless in extorting their students... Charges upon charges.

They can just come up with additional courses anytime for you to offer, for which you will have to pay for.

Or refuse to add some certain marks you scored, just to make you stay longer than necessary. They are freaking expensive too. They keep collecting money and extorting students
Seems someone is talking from personal experience here!
Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by eph12(m): 8:06am On Apr 24, 2017
Can a NOUN Msc graduate do phd in a federal university like UI?
Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by nevilbot: 8:11am On Apr 24, 2017
To the best of my knowledge , I know students who come with 100 level noun transcript are admitted in bsc programs in Germany and bsc noun are admitted into MSC programs in Germany . so wat else do u need?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by wintersnow(m): 8:23am On Apr 24, 2017
Is better you acquire a PRONOUN CERTIFICATE later you can ADVERB
Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by OOLUSEG(m): 8:27am On Apr 24, 2017
numericalguy:
OP, let me give you a very good advice,

Never never go to NOUN if you are a young, intelligent and healthy person. You will always be treated as inferior for the rest of your life with a certificate from NOUN wherever you present your certificate because NOUN is not considered a true university in real life.
NOUN certificates are worthless when you present them to large corporations and multinational companies.

NOUN is usually for old and tired parents who do not have the energy and vigour that is required in regular universities.
NOUN does not even offer good courses that you can study and the courses they offer are mostly not accredited by the NUC.

Why the lies, NOUN is one of the Federal university in Nigeria that has all its courses accredited by NUC... Google is your friend...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by BAILMONEY: 8:27am On Apr 24, 2017
Marthynx10:
TRY UNILAG ICE. . AVAILABLE COURSES ARE MASS COM, ENGLISH, FRENCH, HISTORY, PHILOSOPHY, LINGUISTICS.
NOTE: THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT YOU ARE GONNA BE EXEMPTED FROM SERVICE BUT THE CERTIFICATE GOING TO BE THE SAME WITH SOMEONE WHO GOT ADMITTED THROUGH JAMB OR DIRECT ENTRY.

CONTACT ME FOR MORE INFO

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Solatium(m): 8:37am On Apr 24, 2017
Marthynx10:

If you are serious about studying at open university I will readily recommend it to you,the CERTIFICATE IS HIGHLY RECOGNIZE being a federal.institution,to further support my assertion check the website of Nigeria university commission for it's accredited courses,at a point this institution was among the TOP 20 UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA in 2014 or 2015,the only thing that makes it different from the conventional university is just the mode of lecture delivery where you are expected to do all by yourself (independent learner ) .......Do not listen to those dream killers who discourage with their words,remember the same argument about neco & waec, hnd & Bsc, are those with same certification not been employed? ....I have been to both side of the divide,I have certificate from both conventional university and Open university and.I can tell you ODL is one of the best.thing to have happen to education development...so many conventional university are buying into that idea of ODL,watch out LASU will launch it's own ODL very soon you can take my word to the bank on that......But to familiarize yourself with the mode of study why not TAKE A TRIP TO THEIR VICTORIA ISLAND CENTER and make enquiries from both students and staff..I wish u best if luck in whatever decisions you opt to take

9 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 24, 2017
numericalguy:
OP, let me give you a very good advice,

Never never go to NOUN if you are a young, intelligent and healthy person. You will always be treated as inferior for the rest of your life with a certificate from NOUN wherever you present your certificate because NOUN is not considered a true university in real life.
NOUN certificates are worthless when you present them to large corporations and multinational companies.

NOUN is usually for old and tired parents who do not have the energy and vigour that is required in regular universities.
NOUN does not even offer good courses that you can study and the courses they offer are mostly not accredited by the NUC.
keep quiet am a graduate of computer science from NOUN and am just 25,while in school I had time to do professional trainings like CISCO, PROGRAMING and others immediately I collected my result I got a job in a big IT firm which am working with a good pay, bros follow your heart NOUN gave me the time to do other trainings and better myself,than all this conventional university that will cage you with theories only foe you to graduate and roaming the street with joblessness #am proud to have taken NOUN MSc Canada soon,dont let people deceive you it is the best online university in West africa check NUC

25 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine / 2018 PTDF Scholarship China/France/Germany: Shortlisted Applicants / FG Releases Guidelines For Reopening Of Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.