Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,464 members, 7,801,166 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business (20483 Views)

How To Follow-Up On Job Applications / I Give Up On Job Hunt. I Received Two Regret Mails Same Day / Why Companies Do Not Reveal Their Names On Job Adverts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by tochi8888(m): 3:20pm On Apr 23, 2017
3 years ago, I graduated from school, studied Computer Science and armed with a good grade, and a promise not to stay unemployed for more than six months, to me this school has just graduated one of it's best students. Oh!  poor school.
It was a sunny Tuesday afternoon, I stood at the gate of the school with my bags in hands and a mixed feelings of fulfilment and worries.

I was fulfilled that at last I was able to make my family proud that after all their efforts and prayers to get me through school-I made it.

The worries came because I know the next line of action was a job search,  going by the crisis of unemployment in the country and thousands of graduates every year in search for anyhow job.... well, I had just bought a high heeled shoe two months before graduation... maybe it's time for it to get to work now and keep my feet from tears.

I searched for job almost immediately(2 weeks after graduation) I was a hotcake, so i had thought.Requirements I got from prospective employers had to do with me having completed my one year compulsory NYSC program.
Oh!! Maybe those people that cried and shouted about been unemployed are either not with a NYSC certificate or not with a good grade(I laughed at them in my mind)

NYSC

My PPA was a school in a very local part of Ogun State, though I am an Igbo person but my fluency in Yoruba and my socializing abilities made it less stressful. Also as the President of my CDS unit it also made me more prepared to secure a job and also help me improve on my team work abilities, with the co-operation of me and some of my friends we were able to execute a small project in the local government spearheaded by me.
A year passed and am through with NYSC yes!!  Let me see who will say there's no job now
My homecoming after NYSC was like I have just won a reality TV show.. maybe BBN... the difference.. NO #25M price money. My friends and well wishers were around to welcome me. I felt like a hero who had just saved a princess from captivity.

One month later I hit the Labour market once again hoping that this time I am getting a good job. I cleaned and ironed my suit, polished my black shoes and a good tie to match. Having prepared for this interview I set out for the company I was in in high spirit.
I was one hour early for the interview, the early morning breeze from the companies 7th floor window was a trap to make me fall asleep or lukewarm probably, well... I did not fall for that.

The interviewer  was busy answering calls as I was busy answering his questions when he asked "Tell me about yourself" I stopped, He signalled for me to continue. Maybe I was not needed in the first place.... at times he would ask a question I had answered earlier. that hurts. So unprofessional of him.
"Thank you we would get back to you"... He said. Well... I have always seen that response to mean "get out of here that post is already filled up"

And after that, I have tried so many banks, companies, consulting firms, small businesses-even if am to be paid as low as #20K. The only offer I got for a #15, 000 was in a fast food restaurant (but at least you are sure of breakfast and lunch-a voice said to me) from then I knew the devil lies within-I need to move closer to God and silence that voice.

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago I came across a book I once read when I was in school...This book changed my orientation about school then among other things and also working for someone, depending on things to happen so you can move forward instead of happening to things and moving forward.

This book:- Rich Dad,Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

If you have read this book am sure you'd agree with me that you are far more bigger than unemployment and stagnation in life. You are bigger than recession and global economic meltdown.  You deserve the best because you now know the principles and ideas to be where you want to be in life.
If you will follow the recommendations and steps prescribed in his book.. Kiyoasaki's ideas will spur you to greater heights.

This book serves as a firm reminder that the more you put into your education, especially your financial education, the more financially independent you’ll become.
One of the book’s major thrusts is the fact that too many people get stuck in a rat race. They go to school to find a safe job with lots of benefits and a high ladder to climb, save their money little by little, pay their bills and expenses, and then spend what they have left over, only to repeat the same cycle for the rest of their working lives. But this hamster wheel never allows them to truly get ahead, or really become financially independent.

Robert Kiyosaki argues that there are other ways to become financially independent. Instead of working for money, you can make money work for you. He talks about real estate, the stock market, and high return-on-investment strategies. If you take the time to really learn a little bit about the finance game, it’s much more of a smart strategy than a gamble.
We all know money won’t make you happy, but it can certainly be a facilitator of dreams and opportunities.

So with this in mind I am saying goodbye to job search and unemployment and stagnation and pity and disrespect because joblessness means lack of everything including respect consciously or unconscious people will disrespect you because you are poor and unemployed not because you enjoy your present situation but because the system does not support and encourage the needs of thousands of graduates every year.
Though assistance is needed... thanks

Some more wise words from Rich Dad,Poor Dad

"Unfortunately for many people school is the end, not the beginning.”

“...One dad had a habit of saying, ‘I can’t afford it.’ The other dad forbade those words to be used. He insisted I ask, ‘How can I afford it?’ One is a statement, and the other is a question. One lets you off the hook, and the other forces you to think.”

“A plan is a bridge to your dreams. Your job is to make the plan or bridge real, so that your dreams will become real. If all you do is stand on the side of the bank and dream of the other side, your dreams will forever be just dreams. First make your plans real and then your dreams will come true.”

"In school we learn that mistakes are bad, and we are punished for making them. Yet, if you look at the way humans are designed to learn, we learn by making mistakes. We learn to walk by falling down. If we never fell down, we would never walk."

You’re only poor if you give up. The most important thing is that you did something. Most people only talk and dream of getting rich. You’ve done something.

"Workers work hard enough to not be fired, and owners pay just enough so that workers won't quit."

"They get up every day and go work for money, not taking the time to ask the question, ‘Is there another way?"

There is a difference between being poor and being broke. Broke is temporary. Poor is eternal.

“Take it or leave it.  I’ve got too much work to do to waste my time. If you can’t make up your mind decisively, then you;ll never learn to make money anyway. OPPORTUNITES COME AND GO. Being able to know when to make a quick decisions is an important skill”

“‘Will a job be the best solution to this fear (the fear of not having enough money) over the long run?’ In my opinion, the answer is ‘no’. Especially when you look over a person’s lifetime. A job is really a short-term solution to a long-term problem” 

“Mind your own business. Financial struggle is often directly the result of people working all their life for someone else. Many people will have nothing at the end of their working days”

Unemployment

68 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by myke92(m): 3:26pm On Apr 23, 2017
Best of luck brother

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by tochi8888(m): 3:29pm On Apr 23, 2017
myke92:
Best of luck brother
thanks

2 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by tochi8888(m): 3:38pm On Apr 23, 2017
Mods please help make this post go far....people need to be liberated from job seeking chains

7 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Singlecliq: 4:29pm On Apr 23, 2017
Cc lalasticlala come and see o

1 Like

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by eezeribe(m): 5:13pm On Apr 23, 2017
I am happy that Robert Kiyosaki has inspired you...
I will choose financial intelligence over intelligence quotient,any day,any time.
If you need more of his books(15 in number),Holla at me(free of charge).

21 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Gospelchinonso(m): 5:23pm On Apr 23, 2017
COOL

1 Like

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Addicted2Women: 5:37pm On Apr 23, 2017

I will never ever work for anyone in my life

Money is the easiest thing to make

Selling phone chargers can make you a millionaire if you know the game and you're smart

I don't know how someone would go work for anyone for 30k per month when there are many small businesses that can make you 50k in a week

I started with selling 200 naira ropes, how many people will stop so low by selling ordinary rope ?? That rope me a millionaire

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Timiblanko(m): 5:38pm On Apr 23, 2017
I will never be the servant or worker of anybody,worker can do certain things may God just help us

3 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by walosky(m): 5:38pm On Apr 23, 2017
Good for you
Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 23, 2017
Good decision.
Wish yu all the best.
Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by mummyf(f): 5:39pm On Apr 23, 2017
Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by dfrost: 5:40pm On Apr 23, 2017
Good.
Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 23, 2017
I'm tired of telling Nigerian youths to stop looking for nonexisting jobs and instead find a publics need, propose a solution and create a niche.

3 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by redcliff: 5:40pm On Apr 23, 2017
With a post this long just to tell us why you are going to startup a business and no more look for a job maybee the reason why employers never take you serious... you talk too much

17 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by bewla(m): 5:41pm On Apr 23, 2017
No matter what cryNo matter what
Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by beautiful232(f): 5:42pm On Apr 23, 2017
Good luck
Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by H2Ossss(m): 5:43pm On Apr 23, 2017
Good luck... But not every1 is meant for business... That is a point not everybody understands... Some people are entrepreuers while some are meant to be professionals.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by timilehing(m): 5:43pm On Apr 23, 2017
Just a little more......
Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Hasmos(m): 5:44pm On Apr 23, 2017
"Workers work hard enough to not be fired, and owners pay just enough so that workers won't quit."
Thanks for this. Very timely and thought provoking.

3 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Nobody: 5:44pm On Apr 23, 2017
I sincerely wish you all the very best in your endeavour.... I Imagined if most of us had taken our daily lives like we did our Uni. semester examinations many would be well off today.. I believe its only over if you say it is..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Nobody: 5:44pm On Apr 23, 2017
Entrepreneurship is not for the faint-hearted

Find a mentor to guide you & be prepared to learn a LOT of lessons not found in ANY business book.

"With GOD, all things are possible"

19 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by EduRegard: 5:47pm On Apr 23, 2017
Such a great piece worth reading. Meanwhile, unemployment is Nigeria has gone beyond bounds and now young men really have to find a way to make a living for themselves and stop depending on some known existing systems.

[url=eduregard.com.ng/what-unemployed-graduates-pass-through-in-nigeria/]What unemployed graduates pass through in Nigeria[/url] is nothing you would want to experience, but i this case, [url=eduregard.com.ng/nairaland-debate-unemployment-nigeria-blame-government/]can we really blame the government[/url]?

I salute the OP for this eye-opener. Hopefully, our people will learn from this.

Last bullet, instead of waiting for you to get employed, you can check out some Online Jobs You Can Do To Make Money Online In Nigeria.

Success.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by folahann(m): 5:48pm On Apr 23, 2017
Congratulations for coming to your senses. Though, the road might be rough at the beginning, in the end you will celebrate.

5 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by tochi8888(m): 5:48pm On Apr 23, 2017
redcliff:
With a post this long just to tell us why you are going to startup a business and no more look for a job maybee the reason why employers never take you serious... you talk too much
.... lol.... am an orator...
Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by petux(m): 5:48pm On Apr 23, 2017
chhf
Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by eminikansoso(m): 5:49pm On Apr 23, 2017
Op
That book Rich Daddy, poor dad is one of the most motivated book ever produced. But that technique doesn't work for everybody.
Like me now, na how i go resign be my problem. I thank God for everythings given to me, God have been faithful to me despite my sins.
By the grace of Almighty God I will resign by December 2017. Salary will not allow someone to determine his or her talent.
I wish you all the best.

7 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by naughtylagosguy(m): 5:49pm On Apr 23, 2017
Good one.
Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Lexusgs430: 5:49pm On Apr 23, 2017
Good. We need more people to think like you......

3 Likes

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by Bashnigga(m): 5:50pm On Apr 23, 2017
Beautiful piece
OP I Wish u all the best

1 Like

Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by tochi8888(m): 5:51pm On Apr 23, 2017
Thanks mod
Re: Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business by munex007(m): 5:51pm On Apr 23, 2017
There are three types of people, those who have failed to master society’s formula for success, those who successfully replicated (copied) this formula, and then there are the trend setters, the innovators. These are the people that have taken the formula of the generation, learnt from it and improved on it. 

The old formula was to study hard, get good grades and a degree, get a good job, work hard and earn your promotion to top management. These days, with everyone studying hard and getting good grades, and higher degrees, people have to find a new means to be exceptional. Some are spending decades and countless Naira pursuing post-post-post doctorate degrees. They spend most of their life preparing for life!. 

The workforce has changed too; nepotism, tribalism and other forms of preferential treatments are more prevalent and this makes promotion next to impossible for many people. Companies are also promoting people without the pay to match the name, so you find professionals or Ph.D. holders with fancy job titles struggling to pay basic bills...A lot of companies are owing their employees months salary..The ones being paid have nothing to show after deducing their monthly expenses

The joy of every graduate is to get job within a short period of time after university education, but with this list i don't think there is any joy in graduating from Nigeria Universities, except if you have a job waiting for you, or you graduate from Nigeria Defense Academy(NDA) that have
automatic job.

Wait, let even do a rough calculation of 1000
graduates from each university, that means we will be having at least 116000 graduates from the Nigeria university system alone, apart from Polytechnic graduates and college graduates, and even other Nigeria graduates from different foreign institutions around the world.

Furthermore, with less than 50000 recruitment every year in the labour force, that is not even enough for the 1/3 of university graduates alone. The police force 10000 recruitment, which is the highest recruitment this year received about a million applicant. If police can receive a
million applicant it shows how desperate graduates are.

I think the problem lies in our comatose education system..The system focus on profiting from boring niches, So many people today think that if they want to become a millionaire, then they need to do so by following boring, widely accepted niches. It will take ages for you to become a millionaire through traditional occupations like becoming a lawyer, doctor or banker (in fact, these occupations usually have earnings limits that are very difficult to break through).

Push past these pre-conceived notions of what it takes in order to become a millionaire. You don’t need to spend years in school to be a millionaire.

The Nigerian economy today is in a tailspin. What used to work has simply stopped working. The economic rules have changed but we seem to be playing by the old rules of the game. Crude isn’t our biggest resource as a nation and even if diamond strewn the entire landscape of Nigeria, it still will not be our most valued resource. Our most valuable resource is our mind.

It is time to defy the odds. To refuse to accept the status quo. To think differently and be different. To decipher abundant opportunities even in immense potential in such a great nation as ours. It is about lifelong learning. It is about building formidable network..

Considering the high level of expectancy ratio of we Nigerians especially students. Blue collar jobs are what we all popularly call Entrepreneurship while the white collar jobs are the opposite,obviously the relationship that exist between them categorically is just one being the giver while the other the receiver or taker. The problem I have detected so far is our life style,Lack of motivational forces to propel us to want to leave where we are today to the promise of better tomorrow, No body wanting to starve his/herself today for a better consumption tomorrow,The fear to do something new,procrastination, bluffs ,students going after attraction neglecting the aftermath of Their action to be distraction and finally rejection.E.t.c let us always live to remember that we’all wil get a Fraction of any sort of friction we cause ourselves or others. Start something today no matter how small it is,Save money so that you can save yourself your Tomorrow, Don’t wait for the government to provide jobs and the fundamental human needs cos you are the govt of your destiny

Think deep, think wealth, Stop thinking jobs

Think Entreprenuership

49 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lady Writes To Her “Brutal” Employer Shortly After Securing The Job (Photo) / Jobs/Vacancies / BGS Mgt Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.