Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? (18003 Views)

FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market / Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives / Does The Nigerian Labour Law Protect Nigerian Workers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by kcynho(m): 11:45am On Apr 24, 2017
having both is still to ur advantage, Master's differentiates u 4m every1 out there wt a BSc,I.T gives u d advantage of being ur own boss
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by Okundaye4(m): 11:56am On Apr 24, 2017
What if you acquired masters,

Plus certifications?

1 Like

Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by walexsho(m): 12:14pm On Apr 24, 2017
generalbush:
IT certification is the hot cake. The career prospects in IT is so hot like hot beans!!

Courses like Cisco voice over professionals have just 2 people who practice it in Nigeria, making Cisco import foreign professionals.

Just last week, a firm was looking for Quality Multimedia Instructors, but they were all missing in action!!

Who says ICT is not the king?

Check this link to start up your IT career now!!

http://topwritersden.com/top-it-institutes-in-nigeria/
But most people hold the certification without the practical experience, I've been looking for a place to work as Graduate trainee before taking my ccna Exam, but nobody want to help.
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by sweetilicious(f): 12:16pm On Apr 24, 2017
nmreports:
Both depending on your career path.
1. Accounting: Certifications.
2. Human resources: Certification.
3. IT: Certifications.
4. Engineering: Experience + certifications.
5. Most other ones are basically MBA.

Academic masters is for those who want to go into academics.
Professional masters is just an added advantage.

This is my opinion.

More helpful career advice and help on NIBSS, DPR, UNILEVER can be found on www.HRtechnique.com
You are right
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by generalbush(m): 12:16pm On Apr 24, 2017
walexsho:

But most people hold the certification without the practical experience, I've been looking for a place to work as Graduate trainee before taking my ccna Exam, but nobody want to help.

Your certification shows you know exactly what your learnt during your study period.

Companies prefer candidates with certifications. It gives you the edge to move further.
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by walexsho(m): 12:17pm On Apr 24, 2017
greggng:
I studied accounting am not yet chartered but I ve interest in iIT certification. Which one will pay me most. Experts in the house should pls advice
IT certification on database
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by MoyoGENERAL: 12:25pm On Apr 24, 2017
geekybabe:

Not exactly. In d nigerian tech industry, having d needed skills, and having a strong career network is way more important dan Connection. Connection may get u some jobs. But it doesnt sustain you without d skills in d tech industry

I did try to be generalistic in what I wrote down, encapsulating what's obtainable in every sector in the country. Surely few exceptions exist. Nevertheless, you'll accede with me that what the OP insinuates is what's required for entry into a job rather than sustenance on the job! If this is right then, I'm not far from it!
Do you know then even the "strong career network, referrals" and co they are still connections? #Just rebranded connections#!

1 Like

Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by profmallor: 12:27pm On Apr 24, 2017
I will lend my voice to certifications, especially those international ones. They are difficult and if you can pass them, you are almost there. And this applies not just for Nigerian jobs but as extras for immigrating and getting foreign jobs as well.

1 Like

Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by Elly1(m): 12:32pm On Apr 24, 2017
Certifications nor ready to marry, so ee no get mate for MKT
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by abeg222(m): 12:41pm On Apr 24, 2017
fullz:
just pray make God pick your call.
my cousin got an offshore job last month with no qualification.
his pay is 150k per month.
2weeks in, 2weeks out.

Go get the I.T certs sha.

above all, just pray to God to pick your call fir 2secs.
When will God pick my call too?After all these years!
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by dimmikel: 1:19pm On Apr 24, 2017
Moreoffaith:
Hmmmmm

If you have a job at hand now,save,save,save, pray and start up something..

White collar job is slavery except you got federal or state job.

U are right bro
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by kibo: 1:28pm On Apr 24, 2017
Your question is straight and direct, as we are not considering experience, network and favour.

Its really a question of the type of field and company involved.

For the IT and Accounting field, certifications in ICAN, ACCA, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle generally will come in handy.

For Oil and Gas companies, Public sector and Multinationals, an Msc generally will give you an upper hand as the structure there requires academic achievements for promotion and recruitment.

If we take an IT Administrator that works in Shell, he might be promoted based on his academic portfolio. However, indigenous (local) companies that work on IT Solutions might require an IT Administrator to have certain certifications because the job role requires implementation as compared to the case of an IT Administrator in an Oil and Gas firm where most implementations are usually out sourced to third party companies and the job role typically entails administration and management.

In Conclusion, there is no one size fits all, it all depends on the field and company we are talking about.

One should research carefully on the target market of choice and plan towards acquiring the required qualifications (Certifications/Msc) needed to succeed in that space. However, note that there a lot more factors that affect a potential job opportunity than just Certs/Degree (which i mentioned earlier).

1 Like

Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by japhethGold: 2:29pm On Apr 24, 2017
Yes, IT certifications would quickly put food on your table in Nigeria. Masters is good but is not attractive in the business community/industry. Hence my advice: pursue your professional certifications.
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by hugokeyz: 2:37pm On Apr 24, 2017
rheether:

Thank God I have 1-3 already wink
My dear...connect me now!!..I need one.Smiles
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by fullz: 4:57pm On Apr 24, 2017
abeg222:
When will God pick my call too?After all these years!

my bloda, I done reeng am taya too... I sef dey wait make him pick o
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by GeoOla25(m): 5:12pm On Apr 24, 2017
okusebi:
some people here are just making a baseless conclusion, how can you compare certification to a masters degree. certification is just an icing to the cake, masters degree is the real deal. do not be deceived because of the hardship you find yourself. if you have an opportunity to have a masters degree, it is best. because someone with masters degree will sit in the office and head you with your certification while you work your ass in the field. certification expires and it is just an icing to the cake.
Oga Ade that's not true, not all organizations place masters over CERTIFICATIONS with B.sc ,once the entry level is B.sc, in Olamide's Voice
lol..well if na M.sc yyou want come take ham o
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by elbulk(m): 5:25pm On Apr 24, 2017
generalbush:
IT certification is the hot cake. The career prospects in IT is so hot like hot beans!!

Courses like Cisco voice over professionals have just 2 people who practice it in Nigeria, making Cisco import foreign professionals.

Just last week, a firm was looking for Quality Multimedia Instructors, but they were all missing in action!!

Who says ICT is not the king?

Check this link to start up your IT career now!!

http://topwritersden.com/top-it-institutes-in-nigeria/

Wrong sir...Quite a number of ppl are certified in this. Some do Voip with Asterisks too.
Re: Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? by lankypinky: 5:45pm On Apr 24, 2017
Moreoffaith:
Hmmmmm

If you have a job at hand now,save,save,save, pray and start up something..

White collar job is slavery except you got federal or state job.
Nigga say what you know

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#TheNpowerChallenge, Tell Us If You Knew Anyone Before You Were Pre-selected. / Dufil Prima Foods Plc Calling Succesfull Candidates For Interview / Public Alert: 'we Are Not Recruiting' - Tstv Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.