Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:51 PM

Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab (6387 Views)

British Council Gives Covenant University's Startup Lab Multimillion Naira Grant / 9 Destructive Habits Every University Student Should Let Go / Eight(8) Places In The World You Are Not Allowed To Visit Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by oluwadanie1(m): 7:54am On Apr 24, 2017
Sometime back, we were hit with a relief news that a university in Nigeria, maybe two of them has a startup lab, one of which was dubbed to be the first in the country. The news was met with a lot of accolades from the populace and myself too as we all saw it as the way to go.

But then, it isn’t all about praising the concerned institutions, but about following their footsteps and encouraging the creation of more startup labs across the country. You might still be wondering why this should be done, well, I’d tell you in eight (cool reasons.
Hebron labs at convenant university

1. It increases student’s productivity

A startup lab can help to increase student’s productivity in such ways that during lecture free times when students, normally would do nothing or engage in unproductive activities, going to the startup lab and doing some critical thinking can help to be more productive. So unproductive activities like excess sleeping are out of it.

2. It makes students versatile

When it comes to the Nigerian educational system, there is a wide belief that we only focus on the theoretical aspect of everything which is true to an extent. Having startup labs could help students think of something more practical aside the Dy/Dx they do in school, thereby increasing their versatility.

3. It exposes them to the real world

Many Nigerian students still live in the illusion of completing their degree program and getting a non-existent well paying job. But with a startup lab, and put to the right use, they would get to know that the real world is all about what you can create, not what someone can create for you.

4. It gives them an opportunity to create something

In pursuance to the above, a startup lab gives students an opportunity to create something just like Seun created nairaland. It gives the right atmosphere and the right motivation too.

5. It serves as the right motivation

There are some people that have a little passion for owning their startup but only need a stint of motivation to carry on. It is not hidden that a startup lab used for the right purpose would serve as the right motivation for people like this and giving them the needed push to go on to be something great.

6. Helps to increase their network

In a startup lab, one is sure to meet people of like minds. This would help increase your network as students, and this could prove to be extremely useful after graduation from an institution e.g knowing Lalasticlala could do you a lot of good. Do not underestimate the power of networking.

7. Makes students more creative

One major reason why creativity of students is limited in this present time is because they do not settle down to really think. A startup lab gives the opportunity to brainstorm and think outwardly thereby creating new ways to solve problems, and getting more and more creative by the day.

8. Gives a defined after school life

If I have access to a startup lab in a university, do you know what I will do? I would make sure I begin something I can continue with once I’m out of school. Many students upon graduation from the university, do not have an idea of where they are going, but with a startup lab in place, It’ll put an end to such problems.

END NOTE

As much as many people might not be interested in having a startup lab in their university, or claim not to have enough time for studies talk less of dedicating more for a startup lab, I believe it is one of the very important additions needed in our educational system, especially given how backward we are in technology and how shabby our economy looks on the outside.

Praise and accolades must be given to Covenant university in Ogun state, and the university of Nigeria (UNN) for setting a new standard in our country’s ecosystem. They are the only two universities with a KNOWN startup lab.

It is only pertinent too to encourage their counterparts across the country to follow their footsteps. A lot can be achieved by just sacrificing the time and not too much funds to create a startup lab. We do hope to see one in every university very soon. Consider this a campaign. #OneStartupLabOneUniversity

http://www.techproducts.com.ng/eight-8-reasons-every-university-should-have-a-startup-lab/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by TheVictorious(m): 3:10am On Apr 25, 2017
TRUE. This is a culture of the developed world we need to adopt. It's rather unfortunate that some folks still thinks it's luxury!

7 Likes

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Nobody: 7:37am On Apr 25, 2017
Lalasticlala
Many foreign universities like MIT have multiple Startup labs or incubation hubs. I'm glad CU and UNN are both moving in d right direction.

3 Likes

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 25, 2017
Ok
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by veekid(m): 10:11am On Apr 25, 2017
Tell Buhari
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 25, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Op, ask yourself this question without getting sussed up...

1. Will the person(s) who will be mentoring and lecturing in these startup labs be paid or is it voluntary service.

2. Have they(The universities) paid their lecturers?

2 Likes

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by jeeqaa7(m): 10:12am On Apr 25, 2017
pray for tekno
like if you danced to Pana
share if you wish him quick recovery

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by holuwole12(m): 10:12am On Apr 25, 2017
grin
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by paskyboy: 10:12am On Apr 25, 2017
Nigeria no follow abeg
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by opethom(m): 10:14am On Apr 25, 2017
Pls what is startup lab

3 Likes

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by opethom(m): 10:14am On Apr 25, 2017
veekid:

space booker
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by alabi484(m): 10:16am On Apr 25, 2017
Op...instead make you give more details about start up lab
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Nukilia: 10:19am On Apr 25, 2017
Nice submission @ op. The pathetic part is that our curriculum in the nation doesn't support most of the things you put up there. A lecturer recycling 1970 notes in 2017 is a recipe for disaster in this present age and time.
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by spidey77: 10:19am On Apr 25, 2017
....Its not getting d startup labs, its about who will fund and maintain them?

Talking about money sha, see the incredible reasons why Donald Trump is
regarded as one of the worlds greatest money fools
here.... http://expressdigger..com/2017/04/world-fools-day-meet-one-of-historys.html
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by jericco1(m): 10:20am On Apr 25, 2017
Seconded.
In Nigeria some people are incompetent not because they wish to but the system they find themselves in is unarguably disheartening.
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Tayeni(m): 10:26am On Apr 25, 2017
I'm all for the establishment of IT labs...but the one I find more important are workshops equipped with modern equipments and tools....think about CNC machines...lathes...drill press....TIG welding machine...where they can work with carbonfibre, plastics, metals...the works.
Where students can fabricate tangibles...appliances...electric cars...even if na go-karts....bicycles...all these low tech things we still spend dollars to import...if they must copy, let them. After all that's how China started..Workshops where reverse engineering can be easily done.
I think mech engineers are equally as important as IT scientists

5 Likes

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by philip0906(m): 10:26am On Apr 25, 2017
Setting up start up labs is not the issue. Funding is the fuel and major propeller for any start up. Of what use is setting up a start up lab only for entrepreneurs not to have access to funding to atleast come up with a MVP? Or better still be given handouts/funding or grants barely enough to keep the entrepreneur going.

Note: Behind the fairy tale story of Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook success, is the fact that he got about $500,000 in funding to push Facebook
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by EbonyMira(f): 10:27am On Apr 25, 2017
Truth is, Nigeria is lagging behind in everything technology. We don't need start up labs, we need well equipped engineering and science labs. We need research labs too. When it comes to ICT, Nigeria is not going anywhere. How many Nigerian projects are on github? How many stars do they get? It's sad, but true. Eventually, everyone resort to making money from adsense(a bit biased towards Nigerian). Last month Forbes released their new billionaires list, I saw some young men who created a payment processor 3 years ago. These guys are now billionaires. What happened to all the made in Nigeria payment processors? We need to clear our image before the world take us seriously, else we wouldn't see a billionaire come out of the Nigerian tech market in a decade or two

2 Likes

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by wirinet(m): 10:27am On Apr 25, 2017
Start up labs in Nigerian universities? Nigerian universities build more churches, worship centres, fellowship grounds these days than anything to do with research and science.
Who will use the labs when Nigerian students are encouraged to use all available free time on religious activities - fellowships, night vigils, bible study classes, special services, Evangelisms, etc.
Nigerian educational priority nowadays is more about faith building that science and development. Earth day went bye two days ago, with students all over the world marking it and emphasizing the importance of science to world and human development, but nigerian students were not even aware or interested. If it was world faith day, you will see them be at the forefront.

3 Likes

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Perotti: 10:32am On Apr 25, 2017
I remember visiting the University of Waterloo, Canada and we were taken to the "'Velocity Center" a massive startup lab/hub that also housed big tech firms like Google and Yahoo to provide mentorship and support to students.
I simply shook my head and said to myself: when will Nigerian Universities get to this level?

3 Likes

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 25, 2017
if a startup is cultivated from a university, who benefits from it? the university or the student/team that nursed the idea?
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by AntiWailer: 10:38am On Apr 25, 2017
Nukilia:
Nice submission @ op. The pathetic part is that our curriculum in the nation doesn't support most of the things you put up there. A lecturer recycling 1970 notes in 2017 is a recipe for disaster in this present age and time.

Fact
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by wirinet(m): 10:41am On Apr 25, 2017
Tayeni:
I'm all for the establishment of IT labs...but the one I find more important are workshops equipped with modern equipments and tools....think about CNC machines...lathes...drill press....TIG welding machine...where they can work with carbonfibre, plastics, metals...the works.
Where students can fabricate tangibles...appliances...electric cars...even if na go-karts....bicycles...all these low tech things we still spend dollars to import...if they must copy, let them. After all that's how China started..Workshops where reverse engineering can be easily done.
I think mech engineers are equally as important as IT scientists
This should be the ideal situation but our educational system was not formulated to make us self sufficient ( individually or collectively), our educational system was formulated to make us serve the colonial government ( which layer metamorphosized to the federal government) for the exploitation of out natural resources. So the educational system trains us only to read and write good English and to become good low and mid level administrators ( clerks). Our educational system cannot produce practical engineers and scientists. This is why the aspiration of a mechanical or electrical engineering graduate is to world in a bank or an oil company as administrative staff.

2 Likes

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 25, 2017
Are the students ready to pay for it?
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Tayeni(m): 11:12am On Apr 25, 2017
EbonyMira:
Truth is, Nigeria is lagging behind in everything technology. We don't need start up labs, we need well equipped engineering and science labs. We need research labs too. When it comes to ICT, Nigeria is not going anywhere. How many Nigerian projects are on github? How many stars do they get? It's sad, but true. Eventually, everyone resort to making money from adsense(a bit biased towards Nigerian). Last month Forbes released their new billionaires list, I saw some young men who created a payment processor 3 years ago. These guys are now billionaires. What happened to all the made in Nigeria payment processors? We need to clear our image before the world take us seriously, else we wouldn't see a billionaire come out of the Nigerian tech market in a decade or two
I think we need startup labs too....but we must be careful to improve on all fronts..because in Nigeria, we are unidirectional. watch how other universities will start commissioning empty buildings and calling them startups. Uncreative copycats.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Tayeni(m): 11:22am On Apr 25, 2017
wirinet:

This should be the ideal situation but our educational system was not formulated to make us self sufficient ( individually or collectively), our educational system was formulated to make us serve the colonial government ( which layer metamorphosized to the federal government) for the exploitation of out natural resources. So the educational system trains us only to read and write good English and to become good low and mid level administrators ( clerks). Our educational system cannot produce practical engineers and scientists. This is why the aspiration of a mechanical or electrical engineering graduate is to world in a bank or an oil company as administrative staff.
true. very true. No graduate sees an opportunity to "blow" in his field....the system has not equipped us to excel in the sciences .its either we want to sing or act or work in a bank. With the number of graduates this country churns out every year...you begin to wonder which hole of oblivion we all dive into after school...cos I don't see the impact.

1 Like

Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Neldrizzy(m): 11:51am On Apr 25, 2017
Tired
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Nobody: 12:25pm On Apr 25, 2017
wirinet:
Start up labs in Nigerian universities? Nigerian universities build more churches, worship centres, fellowship grounds these days than anything to do with research and science.
Who will use the labs when Nigerian students are encouraged to use all available free time on religious activities - fellowships, night vigils, bible study classes, special services, Evangelisms, etc.
Nigerian educational priority nowadays is more about faith building that science and development. Earth day went bye two days ago, with students all over the world marking it and emphasizing the importance of science to world and human development, but nigerian students were not even aware or interested. If it was world faith day, you will see them be at the forefront.
At least one of d two unis that have one in Nigeria is a Christian university(Covenant university)
Re: Eight (8) Reasons Every University Should Have A Startup Lab by Ademat7(m): 1:22pm On Apr 25, 2017
My lecturer will say for there to be a change it has to be external; as far it is this sadist Lecturers that are in charge #kole-werk

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ongoing US Army Scholarship For Africans 2018 | US Army Requirement Form Applica / Government Of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum FULL Scholarship 2017/18 / List Of The 7 Most Difficult Courses To Study In University Of Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.