Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,699 members, 7,805,885 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real (1668 Views)

Coronavirus And 5G: Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo Addresses Conspiracy Theory (Video / Pope: The Theories Of Evolution And Big Bang Are Real, God Not A Magician / You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Teedawg: 10:37am On Apr 24, 2017
The theories of evolution and the Big Bang are real and God is not “a magician with a magic wand”, Pope Francis has declared.
Speaking at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Pope made comments which experts said put an end to the “pseudo theories” of creationism and intelligent design that some argue were encouraged by his predecessor, Benedict XVI.
Francis explained that both scientific theories were not incompatible with the existence of a creator – arguing instead that they “require it”.
“When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Francis said.

“Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.”
The Catholic Church has long had a reputation for being anti-science – most famously when Galileo faced the inquisition and was forced to retract his “heretic” theory that the Earth revolved around the Sun.
But Pope Francis’s comments were more in keeping with the progressive work of Pope Pius XII, who opened the door to the idea of evolution and actively welcomed the Big Bang theory. In 1996, John Paul II went further and suggested evolution was “more than a hypothesis” and “effectively proven fact”.
Yet more recently, Benedict XVI and his close advisors have apparently endorsed the idea that intelligent design underpins evolution – the idea that natural selection on its own is insufficient to explain the complexity of the world. In 2005, his close associate Cardinal Schoenborn wrote an article saying “evolution in the sense of common ancestry might be true, but evolution in the neo-Darwinian sense – an unguided, unplanned process – is not”.

src: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-declares-evolution-and-big-bang-theory-are-right-and-god-isnt-a-magician-with-a-magic-9822514.html

after reading this then I checked
Gen-2:7
what do you have to say on this
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 24, 2017
The pope is really smart and flexible. That's how to withstand the 21 century
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Oblitz(m): 10:44am On Apr 24, 2017
Teedawg:
The theories of evolution and the Big Bang are real and God is not “a magician with a magic wand”, Pope Francis has declared.
Speaking at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Pope made comments which experts said put an end to the “pseudo theories” of creationism and intelligent design that some argue were encouraged by his predecessor, Benedict XVI.
Francis explained that both scientific theories were not incompatible with the existence of a creator – arguing instead that they “require it”.
“When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Francis said.

“Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.”
The Catholic Church has long had a reputation for being anti-science – most famously when Galileo faced the inquisition and was forced to retract his “heretic” theory that the Earth revolved around the Sun.
But Pope Francis’s comments were more in keeping with the progressive work of Pope Pius XII, who opened the door to the idea of evolution and actively welcomed the Big Bang theory. In 1996, John Paul II went further and suggested evolution was “more than a hypothesis” and “effectively proven fact”.
Yet more recently, Benedict XVI and his close advisors have apparently endorsed the idea that intelligent design underpins evolution – the idea that natural selection on its own is insufficient to explain the complexity of the world. In 2005, his close associate Cardinal Schoenborn wrote an article saying “evolution in the sense of common ancestry might be true, but evolution in the neo-Darwinian sense – an unguided, unplanned process – is not”.

src: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-declares-evolution-and-big-bang-theory-are-right-and-god-isnt-a-magician-with-a-magic-9822514.html

after reading this then I checked
Gen-2:7
what do you have to say on this

The catholic church itself is trying to kill christianity

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by absoluteSuccess: 10:44am On Apr 24, 2017
He should be bold to declare himself an atheist too.

Evolution is a scientific myth.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by oglalasioux(m): 10:50am On Apr 24, 2017
We'll slowly drift to the stage where all these pastors having phone conversations with god will be shown for the fraud that they are.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by oglalasioux(m): 10:58am On Apr 24, 2017
Oblitz:

The catholic church itself is trying to kill christianity

The Catholic Church has an observatory and a particle accelerator. That's what I call being proactive. They don't believe in hearsay. They test these things themselves through priests that are physicists and cosmologists.

We must accept our errors and move on as human beings. Even if there's a god it can never be the biblical and Koranic god. That's a given and that will be the ultimate destination of the Catholic faith which I belonged to.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by princechurchill(m): 11:11am On Apr 24, 2017
I cease to concur with any papacy after the death of Galileo..
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by CatfishBilly: 12:02pm On Apr 24, 2017
absoluteSuccess:
He should be bold to declare himself an atheist too.

Evolution is a scientific myth.
So, because someone believes in science, he's automatically an atheist?
Evolution is a myth?
The things theists say, man

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by absoluteSuccess: 12:13pm On Apr 24, 2017
CatfishBilly:

So, because someone believes in science, he's automatically an atheist?
Evolution is a myth?
The things theists say, man

He's not 'someone' he is pope.

Just as if Darwin should declare that God created the world.

Evolution may not be a myth to you but it is not an 'act of creation' to me.

It is the figment of someone's imagination about the cosmos and the biosphere.

Because you call it scientific never transform it to an irrefutable fact.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by NPComplete: 12:20pm On Apr 24, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

But the creation story is irrefutable fact right? LOL. The clowns keep coming out of the woodwork

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by CatfishBilly: 12:21pm On Apr 24, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Baba, deny it all you want, it doesn't change the fact that it's true.
If you like repeat it to yourself in the morning when you wake up and at night before you sleep, it still won't make it true.
You can keep burying your head in the sand, the world will move on without you, inugo?
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by absoluteSuccess: 12:24pm On Apr 24, 2017
NPComplete:

But the creation story is irrefutable fact right? LOL. The clowns keep coming out of the woodwork

This comment makes you a great scientist.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Nobody: 12:26pm On Apr 24, 2017
CatfishBilly:

If you like repeat it to yourself in the morning when you wake up and at night before you sleep, it still won't make it true.
You can keep burying your head in the sand, the world will move on without you, inugo?

It is not true.
God created man in his own image and likeness.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by CatfishBilly: 12:28pm On Apr 24, 2017
onyenze123:

It is not true.
Sure, and also gave us gene mutation and cancers and a fuckkked up retina.
An intelligent designer he is

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by absoluteSuccess: 12:30pm On Apr 24, 2017
CatfishBilly:

This is your blessed assurance. I have given you something to think about. I believe you live in the world you prescribe for others? That's the selfsame world you deserve to live in.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by absoluteSuccess: 12:35pm On Apr 24, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Sure, and also gave us gene mutation and cancers and a fuckkked up retina.
An intelligent designer he is

If you agree he did these, prove him wrong by doing the opposite and he will seize to be God, or you will carry this burden for the rest of your life,you live with the pains tho, tears of powerless Godmocker.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by CatfishBilly: 12:37pm On Apr 24, 2017
onyenze123:

It is not true.
He created us in his image?
Going by your logic, God also has cancers, wears glasses and has had surgery in the past for appendicitis.
I can even throw in an episode of ectopic pregnancy into the mix too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Nobody: 1:01pm On Apr 24, 2017
This kind of thing is not new to the churches. You see, first the churches said Earth is flat. When they were proven by logic that it's rather a circle, they accepted it. They also said, Earth is at the center of the solar system. When they were proven that it's not, they accepted it. There are also others like this that happened to them. Now this happened and more to happen in the future. All people will come to total agreement with science.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 24, 2017
Interesting
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by samuyafiiyawa: 3:35pm On Apr 24, 2017
how can a leader of a faith say that evolution is real? that God is not a magician with powers of doing all things, am very surprise, if evolution is true, it has to be supported by evidences, like if humans were not created by GOD, Darwin must show traces of humans who evolved in time past that does not look like these species, because evolution if true should have been a continuous process, ie we would have seen some kind of humans who have evolve due to change in time, because they must continue to evolve, instead we see a perfect and complete process called creation which is planed and designed by a superior power
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by FinallyFamous: 3:52pm On Apr 24, 2017
CatfishBilly:

the problem here is not the "denial" but the fact that its coming from a pope ..who is believed to be Gods rep on earth by Catholics .
it simply doesn't add up

I think the pope as lost it
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by BigBUMBUM: 3:59pm On Apr 24, 2017
lalasticlala mynd44 move this to FP let people rub their mind on this
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 24, 2017
samuyafiiyawa:
how can a leader of a faith say that evolution is real? that God is not a magician with powers of doing all things, am very surprise, if evolution is true, it has to be supported by evidences, like if humans were not created by GOD, Darwin must show traces of humans who evolved in time past that does not look like these species, because evolution if true should have been a continuous process, ie we would have seen some kind of humans who have evolve due to change in time, because they must continue to evolve, instead we see a perfect and complete process called creation which is planed and designed by a superior power

I don't even understand. So the pope is saying that Richard Dawkins is right?

I mean if evolution is true, then the Christian/biblical God doesn't exist and the church has lost its foundation.

May I stay with my deism for now
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 24, 2017
samuyafiiyawa:
There are many evidences that show we had and still evolving. It's just that you hadn't exposed yourself to know about it(unintentionally). The notion that evolution take thousands or millions is not right. Actually, we are evolving faster since the industry revolution. Our high, weight and lifespan had increased dramatically. The average male height during the first century was 5'3 and in the 18th century, it was 5'6 and now it's 5'11. You can see that human were evolving faster as their technology, eating, knowledge improves. Scientists have predicted that the average human height by 3000 A.D will be 7'1 and in the distant future, human will evolve into different species.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by multioption: 4:51pm On Apr 24, 2017
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by NPComplete: 6:13pm On Apr 24, 2017
onyenze123:

I don't even understand. So the pope is saying that Richard Dawkins is right?

I mean if evolution is true, then the Christian/biblical God doesn't exist and the church has lost its foundation.

May I stay with my deism for now

That's where ur problem lies. Ur bane is the belief that evolution and God is mutually exclusive. And that's a very parochial world view. A being as intelligent as God would actually use evolution as a tool to make sure His creation survives and adapts.
Even we as humans develop adaptable machines and systems. We have begun to jettison rigid engineering.
Think bro, think.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 24, 2017
NPComplete:

That's where ur problem lies. Ur bane is the belief that evolution and God is mutually exclusive. And that's a very parochial world view. A being as intelligent as God would actually use evolution as a tool to make sure His creation survives and adapts.
Even we as humans develop adaptable machines and systems. We have begun to jettison rigid engineering.
Think bro, think.

The book of Genesis says so, not my belief.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by NPComplete: 6:28pm On Apr 24, 2017
onyenze123:

The book of genesis? I even thought u were being logical. A book transcribed from the oral folklore of Bronze Age goat herders whose culture was rife with superstitions. Whose present day descendants only see it as an allegory but nor genuine historical fact.
If I believe in that badly thought out story, by the same logic I should also believe in Yoruba folklore about chickens and palm kernel and shyte.
Peace
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by CatfishBilly: 6:39pm On Apr 24, 2017
onyenze123:

A deist that believes in the book of Genesis, now that's something you don't see everyday.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Nobody: 6:44pm On Apr 24, 2017
NPComplete:

The book of genesis? I even thought u were being logical. A book transcribed from the oral folklore of Bronze Age goat herders whose culture was rife with superstitions. Whose present day descendants only see it as an allegory but nor genuine historical fact.
If I believe in that badly thought out story, by the same logic I should also believe in Yoruba folklore about chickens and palm kernel and shyte.
Peace

Wonderful.

Going by this logic, we should discard the bible entirely.

Most old testament were written this way, hundreds of years after those events happened.

The four gospel accounts were written 200 years after the 'death' of Jesus.

If you look at the works of Tom Harpur (An Anglican priest and professor of new testament) on "the pagan Christ", you will be amazed how the new testament came to be.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Nobody: 6:49pm On Apr 24, 2017
CatfishBilly:

A deist that believes in the book of Genesis, now that's something you don't see everyday.

I never said I believed in the book of Genesis. I was trying to establish that if the pope says evolution is truth and the book of Genesis says otherwise, the christian foundation which is the bible collapses since all other account are sequential from the Genesis.

By the way, why did you choose Catfish - Billy as your moniker?
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by NPComplete: 7:02pm On Apr 24, 2017
onyenze123:

Wonderful.

Going by this logic, we should discard the bible entirely.

Most old testament were written this way, hundreds of years after those events happened.

The four gospel accounts were written 200 years after the 'death' of Jesus.

If you look at the works of Tom Harpur (An Anglican priest and professor of new testament) on "the pagan Christ", you will be amazed how the new testament came to be.

Nobody is saying u should discard the whole bible. It isn't total garbage. And there are wisdoms still to be gleaned from it as long as we acknowledge it isn't exactly infallible or the written word of God. And there are parts of it that should be dismissed as bunkum.

The bible is mostly just religious prejudice written by people who didn't know better and who thought they were actually doing the work of God. Still, it is better than the Quran. Far better.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Imagine Christianity Without Church, It Will Be Awesome / Does Belief In Evolution Make You Smart? / "God Is Mad For Killing Himself Instead Of Satan" - Man Blast God And Jesus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.