Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) (68028 Views)

Indian Man Buys N1.5M Gold Face-Mask To Save Him From Coronavirus (Photos) / Indian Man Cuts Off His Tongue As Sacrifice To God To Prevent Covid-19 (Graphic) / Indian Man Grows Four-Inch Horn After Head Injury (Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Blacksodje(m): 7:53pm On Apr 26, 2017
The world's oldest 'Benjamin Button': 21-year-old man is stuck in the body of a pensioner as he is ageing EIGHT times faster than normal - and was even asked to join a circus

The world's oldest 'Benjamin Button' is a 21-year-old man in the body of a 160-year-old. 

Rupesh Kumar, from Hanumanganj, India, has aged eight times faster than normal due to a rare ageing disease.

His aged appearance caused such a stir that his parents were even offered money to sell him to a circus. 

The condition, known as Hutchinson-Gilford progeria, affects just one in eight million people.

Mr Kumar is the oldest known survivor and weighs just over three stone.   

Rupesh Kumar, 21, from Hanumanganj, India, is ageing eight times faster than a healthy person

WHAT IS PROGERIA? 

Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome is a rare, fatal genetic condition characterised by an appearance of accelerated ageing in children.  

It is caused by a mutation in a gene called LMNA.

LMNA produces a protein that holds cells together. 

Cellular instability appears to cause premature aging.

Sufferers typically show symptoms at around 18-24 months old.

These include growth failure, loss of body fat and hair, aged-looking skin, joint stiffness and hip dislocation. 

Patients usually die of heart disease at around 14 years old.

Source: Progeria Research Foundation 

'Benjamin Button' is novel about a character who was born as a old man.  

Mr Kumar started to show signs of the disease as a young boy. 

His father Ramapati Kumar, 45, a farm labourer, said: 'It all started with frequent headaches and stomach pains when he was very small.

'We took him to several doctors, but none of them could diagnose his condition.

'They prescribe a few painkillers and ask us to go home.' 

As Rupesh grew, his parents noticed abnormal changes in his body and appearance.

His father said: 'Over time, my son's head grew abnormally big and he started shedding weight drastically.'

Around five years ago, a few people came to their village under the pretence of helping Rupesh.

The condition, known as Hutchinson-Gilford progeria, affects just one in eight million people

His father said: 'I thought they were good people who wanted to help with the treatment of my son.

'But I was shocked when they said that they wanted to buy my son and exhibit him as a spectacle in a circus.

'They offered to pay us Rs 300,000 [approximately £3,600]. I politely told them to go away. That I would never give my child away even if they had offered Rs 10,000,000 [approximately £121,000].'

His parents Ramapati Kumar, 45, and Shanti Devi, refused to let their son be taken to a circus

Rupesh's mother Shanti Devi, who acts as his carer, said: 'How could they even dare to make such an inhuman offer?'

Unfortunately, Hutchinson-Gilford progeria is incurable, yet Rupesh has defied expectations by living into his twenties.

His doctor Dr Yugantar Pandey, said: 'He is suffering from progeria and there is no cure of this disease so far.

Mr Kumar's symptoms first started as a young boy when his head grew large and he lost weight

'Most people suffering from progeria die by the time they reach 13-15, but in some cases, like the case of Rupesh, they live up till 21.

'The symptoms of progeria was first seen in Rupesh at the age of two.

'It was because of this condition that growth stopped, hairs started falling off, skin started sagging and teeth weakened.

Most sufferers die at around 14, but Mr Kumar is defying expectations despite his symptoms

He said: 'The patient's muscles also loose the strength. Like in other cases of progeria, Rupesh's eyes have sunk into his sockets and skin has become pale.

'This is a genetic problem that occurs due to mutation of genes.'  

Mr Kumar's parents are desperate for help and have even written to India's Prime Minister

Rupesh's desperate parents have written to India's Prime Minister pleading for help, but are waiting for a reply.

In the meantime, a local non profit organisation, Ashutosh Memorial Trust, is helping ensure that Rupesh gets necessary medical care and attention. 

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4446742/amp/A-21-year-old-man-body-160-year-old.html

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Nobody: 7:58pm On Apr 26, 2017
in jidenna's voice -->

Long live the chief grin

wish him more years cheesy

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by femolacqua(m): 8:00pm On Apr 26, 2017
OMG

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Redomi(m): 8:01pm On Apr 26, 2017
We have one twin in Yorùbá land that act films sometimes ago, I think they are dead now. They are called Ìbejì Òràn. This one should be Omo Òràn. Eni b'ímo Òràn níí pòn-on. May God have mercy on each and every single one of us. Am proud of my state. Ìpínlè Ondo....Ibi àmúyangàn mí (Ondo state.....My place of pride)

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by hideraoluwa(f): 8:04pm On Apr 26, 2017
India and dysfunctional problems... God have mercy on him....

21 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Partnerbiz(f): 8:15pm On Apr 26, 2017
India dey always be like northern Nigeria

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by vanida6: 8:20pm On Apr 26, 2017
Wat the h,,,,,,,, shocked

OMG
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by EKITI001: 8:50pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hmmm.. cry cry
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 26, 2017
O boy . I think we use to have something like this in nigeria in yoruba movie they are twins and are popularly called "Ibeji Oran" "The Horrible twins" although they are dead.
May their gentle soul rest in peace

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 26, 2017
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by mazizitonene(m): 10:17pm On Apr 26, 2017
what !?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by kolnel: 10:17pm On Apr 26, 2017
Omg
Here in naija
They will say na one witch dey do am
Dem go dey carry him form redeemed to winners

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by leofab(f): 10:18pm On Apr 26, 2017
It won't be well with the blogger president.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Nostradamu(m): 10:18pm On Apr 26, 2017
The disease is called Progeria. It accelerates the aging process by only God knows how many factors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by aragon4realz(m): 10:18pm On Apr 26, 2017
holy Jesus,Mary and Joseph
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by AngelicBeing: 10:19pm On Apr 26, 2017
Before you know now, they will start worshiping the boy and call him a god, India, a land full of mysticism, cult and occult practices, they have more than 500 gods they pray and worship, na wao ..

13 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by TINALETC3(f): 10:20pm On Apr 26, 2017
shocked oh my world shocked
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Sijo01(f): 10:20pm On Apr 26, 2017
Indians and weirdness though embarassed
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Category1: 10:20pm On Apr 26, 2017
The body doesn't look 160 year old to me...

160 year old? Meat go fit dey him body again?
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by teelaw4life(m): 10:20pm On Apr 26, 2017
The land of Sanjay, Rajesh, Kumar and Sangit is full of weird happenings. I tire for this country, they should just thank God they are not in Africa if not it would have been worse.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Nobody: 10:21pm On Apr 26, 2017
It's really nice of the parents to reject the offer of selling their son to the circus cry.
these people need love and care till they die.May God bless us with healthy bubbly kids ijn .

13 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Category1: 10:21pm On Apr 26, 2017
Rr
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by mostyg(m): 10:21pm On Apr 26, 2017
The merciful God..

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by stevenson007: 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2017
hmmmm
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by KKKWHITE(m): 10:23pm On Apr 26, 2017
Indians and terrible news Why ?
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by ednut1(m): 10:23pm On Apr 26, 2017
I trust indians to worship him. He is the reincarnation of one of their many Gods
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by BigBrother9ja: 10:23pm On Apr 26, 2017
That India is a cursed nation

County of mysterious deformities

Garlic smelos

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Marksule(m): 10:25pm On Apr 26, 2017
what the......................
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by PotatoSalad(m): 10:25pm On Apr 26, 2017
damn
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 26, 2017
Reese!
Re: 21-Year-Old Indian Man Stuck In A 160-Year-Old Body (Photos) by Nobody: 10:27pm On Apr 26, 2017
How many years old body is this baby stuck in ....

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rabiu Musa Is Dead. Showed Coronavirus Symptoms / The Transformation Of This 17-Year-Old Lady Will Shock You (Photos) / Thunderbolt Kills Man In Benin (Graphics Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.