Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,938 members, 7,799,184 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) (20800 Views)

Inside Kano Porto Golf Resort / A Trip To Akwa Ibom: Lugard Colonial Office, Slaves Prison, Bridge Of No Return / A Trip With My Girlfriend To Obudu Cattle Ranch (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 5:10am On Apr 28, 2017
Hello Nairalanders,
I visted some historical sites in Bénin republic... Porto novo to be precise, which is the ancient city of Bẹ́nin republic welcomed me with open arms yesterday. We (some members of my department) visited

1) The AJASE Palace "KABIYESI ALAJASE OBA ONIKOYI ABESAN 5é.
2) The Temple of the Olori Abesan and the 9 snakes
3)The Museum (which was once the Royal Palace of Porto- novo)

I'll be uploading pictures too, also give a suitable explanation where I can't upload pictures (at some point we weren't allowed to take pictures)

1)The AJASE Palace "KABIYESI ALAJASE OBA ONIKOYI ABESAN 5é.
The palace started existing in 1485, and he's has has been sitting on the throne since 1972. The throne is from the lineage of Oduduwa, the land was first inhabited by the Yoruba's and Hausas. In his words, he said "The foreigners here are those who came in during the civil war the likes of Ojukwu that came here to create Biafra, when they realized the Ibo's were running here (porto-novo) for shelter they received them with open hearts, irregardless of that Nigerians are not foreigners in Bénin republic; the same ethnic group in Nigeria is the same here in Bénin republic that is why Bénin is the first destination you get to when you leave Nigeria.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Nobody: 5:18am On Apr 28, 2017
Wow... Ancient Dahomey

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 5:22am On Apr 28, 2017
unclezuma:
Wow... Ancient Dahomey

Exactly!

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 5:27am On Apr 28, 2017
The Temple of the Olori Abesan and the 9 snakes

Controversy struck, back then when the first king of Ikoyi had to leave his Throne in Nigeria with his very pregnant wife and some of his followers, they kept moving until they got to Bénin republic Porto novo, Olori (the queen) went into labour and gave birth to 9 children (Abesan) the same day.
Her name changed from Olori to Olori Abesan. She became a goddess, and she's not allowed to kneel in front of a king or anybody. The king decided that there was no use moving anymore most especially with 9kids so they had to inhabit the land and name the throne ABESAN ONIKOYI because they didn't want to forget their Origin which is "IKOYI"
There are 9 snakes which is being used as a symbol of representation of the 9 children and a Lion is used to represent the queen!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Nobody: 5:32am On Apr 28, 2017
Rosella1:

Exactly!
Wait, is that person wearing a Ghana-Must-Go bag?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 5:46am On Apr 28, 2017
I'll procede to my favourite part of the trip "THE MUSEUM" (We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the palace turned museum, but I'll post the ones I have) Please feel free to ask questions!

The museum which was once the first Royal palace of porto-novo. The palace existed from 1688-1976, was ruled by 25 kings over the years. The first king "KING TOFFA" had 112 wives but they never stay in the same palace with the king, he built a private palace for them. 2women are chosen to come stay with the king for 21days before they go back to the private place. After their stay another set comes to stay with the king for another 21days. It goes round until the 112 wives of the kings collects their share of kabeyesi's love in za oda room!
It takes 3years before some of them can see the king!

9 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 5:50am On Apr 28, 2017
unclezuma:

Wait is that person wearing a Ghana-Must-Go bag?

Noooo, lol!
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Nobody: 5:54am On Apr 28, 2017
Rosella1:

Noooo, lol!

Okay, I thought that was part of the historical garb.

Lalasticlala, this one is better than crying for celebrity attention ooo...there's some learning from it.
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 6:25am On Apr 28, 2017
We were asked not to take pictures as we entered the Palace museum, so I'll do my best to explain what lies within...

1) THE XWEDO (1688) - This is known as the protection of the king, saw some voodoo stuffs there, but according to the tour guide, sacrifices aren't made there anymore only at the private palace. But back then, the bathing's of the new borns took place there, conflicts were settled and sacrifices were made to the gods.

2) THE VISITING CORRIDOR - When the king has a visitor, the visitor waits in a corridor as the messenger notifies the king about his visitor the corridor accesses' the intentions and sincerity of the visitor and sends a message to THE CHAIN (No offence, but the chain looks like our Nigerian big generator chain that we use to avoid thieves from stealing our property).

3) THE CHAIN- The chain also tells the king when one of his wives sleeps with another man and her head will be chopped off as punishment and a warning to others.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by MrBONE2(m): 6:26am On Apr 28, 2017
Lalasticlalllallalla Guwarad it to it Needed place. grin
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 6:33am On Apr 28, 2017
When the time comes for the king to go for a long trip (Death) as they don't use the term "The king is dead" but they say "he has travelled"... Two of his wives are buried with him, they don't chop their head off or bury them alive but according to them, the women are given a liquid substance to drink (poison) from there they sleep and die!

4) PLACARD DES GRIS-GRIS - This is known as the power room of the king (AFRICAN MAGIC). When he wakes up or about to go for a battle he goes to the room to collect power to defeat his enemies.

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 6:44am On Apr 28, 2017
A time comes when all the wives of the king (112) comes to the palace to dance for the king and the king inspects and choses only one who has danced to his satisfaction and marvelled him gets to spend the night with the him in his room to receive her prize from the king (you know what I mean huh)

5)ADJI OU AWALÉ - Some of us are familiar with the game called 'AYO' by the Yoruba's. A visitor of the king comes to play the game with him and ONLY THE KING WINS. No one is allowed to win the king I repeat no one or there'll be consequences.
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 7:16am On Apr 28, 2017
6) ROOM FOR MEALS- In this room, only the queens who has gone through the sanctification of a specific blood ritual with the king are allowed to enter this room where the king eats his food on mat and not his chair.

7)ROOM OF DEATH - Only kings are allowed to enter this room. When the king goes for war/ battle and does not conquer or die on the battle field, the people expect him to come home and commit suicide as a sign of honour. When he enters the room he doesn't come out, the corpse is either left to decompose or disappear as the voodoo wishes but no one is allowed to enter. According to them anyone who enters will never come out! (wasn't allowed to enter or peep either)

3 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 9:52am On Apr 28, 2017
Artifacts sold in the museum, they're quite expensive tho especially with the exchange rate. Some of them are made from horns and tusks, don't know if it's cow, elephant or rhino!

2 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 10:04am On Apr 28, 2017
Photo of a woman who makes clothes with threads in the museum

2 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Pharaoh9(m): 10:48am On Apr 28, 2017
Hmm
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by hucienda: 10:48am On Apr 28, 2017
e-battle looming here on No. 1 ...

interesting thread, OP.

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Explorers(m): 10:49am On Apr 28, 2017
Nice

3 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Pharaoh9(m): 10:50am On Apr 28, 2017
Rubish

3 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by miqos02(m): 10:55am On Apr 28, 2017
cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by drizzit(m): 10:55am On Apr 28, 2017
This is education... Not just spending 4years reading all about it in books cramming and never living it.

12 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by biggy26: 10:56am On Apr 28, 2017
Rosella1:
Hello Nairalanders,
I visted some historical sites in Bénin republic... Porto novo to be precise, which is the ancient city of Bẹ́nin republic welcomed me with open arms yesterday. We (some members of my department) visited

1) The AJASE Palace "KABIYESI ALAJASE OBA ONIKOYI ABESAN 5é.
2) The Temple of the Olori Abesan and the 9 snakes
3)The Museum (which was once the Royal Palace of Porto- novo)

I'll be uploading pictures too, also give a suitable explanation where I can't upload pictures (at some point we weren't allowed to take pictures)

1)The AJASE Palace "KABIYESI ALAJASE OBA ONIKOYI ABESAN 5é.
The palace started existing in 1485, and he's has has been sitting on the throne since 1972. The throne is from the lineage of Oduduwa, the land was first inhabited by the Yoruba's and Hausas. In his words, he said "The foreigners here are those who came in during the civil war the likes of Ojukwu that came here to create Biafra, when they realized the Ibo's were running here (porto-novo) for shelter they received them with open hearts, irregardless of that Nigerians are not foreigners in Bénin republic; the same ethnic group in Nigeria is the same here in Bénin republic that is why Bénin is the first destination you get to when you leave Nigeria.

Hello Rosella,
Nice job. Can u also share them here- www.poontoe.com

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by sotall(m): 10:57am On Apr 28, 2017
ok
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by paranorman(m): 10:59am On Apr 28, 2017
interesting.. All these Yoruba inscriptions, cool.

I love travel a lot and I'd like to visit world heritage sites all over the world..

3 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 28, 2017
Nice one but the government should do something to make it attractive.

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by paradigmshift(m): 11:02am On Apr 28, 2017
nice one ..

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by legenddimex(m): 11:03am On Apr 28, 2017
nice onel

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by deepwater(f): 11:03am On Apr 28, 2017
How did ojukwu enter their matter now?

Op said firstly inhabited by the Yoruba's and Hausas. And foreigners like ojukwu and his like came where to create Biafra ?!

Op don't be silly.

4 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by HDee(m): 11:05am On Apr 28, 2017
So, cotonue guys are basically yorubas self..
Interesting

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Bants(m): 11:10am On Apr 28, 2017
Africa has beautiful culture hope they preserve more of these things white people stealing everything even tutunkahulum the egyptian god..

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thread For Nigerians In Tahiti / Six Things Nigerians Should Not Do On A Flight / COVID-19: UAE Lifts Ban On Travels Between Dubai And Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.