Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,743 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) (20807 Views)

Inside Kano Porto Golf Resort / A Trip To Akwa Ibom: Lugard Colonial Office, Slaves Prison, Bridge Of No Return / A Trip With My Girlfriend To Obudu Cattle Ranch (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by RichieDaVinci01(m): 11:14am On Apr 28, 2017
This is coool

Not the fooocking BBN shiii I see on FP everytime

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Nobody: 11:18am On Apr 28, 2017
Nice one

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Kakamorufu(m): 11:19am On Apr 28, 2017
Rosella1:
Artifacts sold in the museum, they're quite expensive tho especially with the exchange rate. Some of them are made from horns and tusks, don't know if it's cow, elephant or rhino!
do they need to sell them. it's part of their heritage now
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Iamvictor(m): 11:19am On Apr 28, 2017
nice thread

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 11:22am On Apr 28, 2017
deepwater:
How did ojukwu enter their matter now?

Op said firstly inhabited by the Yoruba's and Hausas. And foreigners like ojukwu and his like came where to create Biafra ?!

Op don't be silly.

Yoruba's and Hausa's were the first to inhabit "AJASE" (which is a place in Porto-novo) when the civil war started the likes of ojukwu wanted to create Biafra in the same land ALJASE that gave them shelter.
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 11:26am On Apr 28, 2017
paranorman:
interesting.. All these Yoruba inscriptions, cool.

I love travel a lot and I'd like to visit world heritage sites all over the world..

Was shown some of the Yoruba alphabet created by oduduwa but we weren't allowed to take pictures of it for some reasons best know to them.

Ouidah (the snake island) will be the next place I'll be visiting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 11:27am On Apr 28, 2017
hucienda:
e-battle looming here on No. 1 ...

interesting thread, OP.

Thank you!
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 11:29am On Apr 28, 2017
HDee:
So, cotonue guys are basically yorubas self..
Interesting

Not all of them, you'll find more Yoruba's in Porto-novo

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 11:30am On Apr 28, 2017
Kakamorufu:
do they need to sell them. it's part of their heritage now

My dear, it's for sale oh!
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Cmoyor: 11:35am On Apr 28, 2017
my friends and I will also love to visit... can u kindly brief me on how to go about that?
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Kakamorufu(m): 11:35am On Apr 28, 2017
Rosella1:

My dear, it's for sale oh!
Mehn. too bad. something we are still hoping the British return back to us.
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 11:38am On Apr 28, 2017
Like I said before it was a palace before it was transformed to a museum in 1976 when the 25th king died (ROI DÈ GBEFFA- 1946-1976) he had nine sons and they fought for the throne creating bloodshed, people started trooping in to steal some of the artifacts. The Government of Bénin republic intervened and transformed it to a museum.
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 11:40am On Apr 28, 2017
Cmoyor:
my friends and I will also love to visit... can u kindly brief me on how to go about that?

Get your travelling documents and cross the border!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 11:42am On Apr 28, 2017
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by paranorman(m): 11:44am On Apr 28, 2017
Rosella1:

Was shown some of the Yoruba alphabet created by oduduwa but we weren't allowed to take pictures of it for some reasons best know to them.

Ouidah (the snake island) will be the next place I'll be visiting.

The real snake Island?! cool. you should have taken a secret camera joh. Blood of Jesus will protect you jare. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by omolorlarh: 11:45am On Apr 28, 2017
Rosella1:
When the time comes for the king to go for a long trip (Death) as they don't use the term "The king is dead" but they say "he has travelled"... Two of his wives are buried with him, they don't chop their head off or bury them alive but according to them, the women are given a liquid substance to drink (poison) from there they sleep and die!.
Two of his wives must die with him.This is serious yet women will happily get married to the king.

2 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 11:48am On Apr 28, 2017
omolorlarh:

Two of his wives must die with him.This is serious yet women will happily get married to the king.

Back then it was a privilege, women do visit the king and request to be his wife and he would accept.
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Nobody: 11:50am On Apr 28, 2017
omolorlarh:

women don't have choice then.. U must come out and if ur chosen so be it..
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 11:58am On Apr 28, 2017
paranorman:

The real snake Island?! cool. you should have taken a secret camera joh. Blood of Jesus will protect you jare. grin grin

Secret camera, hmmm. THEY said if you take pictures where you're not authorised to, the pictures will disappear and your phone will go bad!

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Nobody: 12:06pm On Apr 28, 2017
grin Africa
Rosella1:

Secret camera, hmmm. THEY said if you take pictures where you're not authorised to, the pictures will disappear and your phone will go bad!

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Kemimarch16(f): 12:11pm On Apr 28, 2017
They can only see their husband for just 21 days out of 3years,is it by force to marry king
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by DaPuncline: 12:13pm On Apr 28, 2017
Rosella1:
Finally we began taking pictures with the statues in the museum
i love you.
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 12:15pm On Apr 28, 2017
Kemimarch16:
They can only see their husband for just 21 days out of 3years,is it by force to marry king

Lemme break it down. The king married 112 wives. So in order to satisfy them the best way he can, 2wives come to stay with him for 21 days after their stay another two comes (a turn by turn thingy) so before it gets to the turn of some of them it can take up to 3years

1 Like

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 12:17pm On Apr 28, 2017
smithsydny:
grin Africa

Lol, African Magic!
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 12:17pm On Apr 28, 2017
DaPuncline:

i love you.

Awwwn!
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by madridguy(m): 12:21pm On Apr 28, 2017
Thanks for sharing @ OP.
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by AkinPhysicist: 12:54pm On Apr 28, 2017
AWESOME
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by 0ntruth: 1:44pm On Apr 28, 2017
Rosella1:
6) ROOM FOR MEALS- In this room, only the queens who has gone through the sanctification of a specific blood ritual with the king are allowed to enter this room where the king eats his food on mat and not his chair.

7)ROOM OF DEATH - Only kings are allowed to enter this room. When the king goes for war/ battle and does not conquer or die on the battle field, the people expect him to come home and commit suicide as a sign of honour. When he enters the room he doesn't come out, the corpse is either left to decompose or disappear as the voodoo wishes but no one is allowed to enter. According to them anyone who enters will never come out! (wasn't allowed to enter or peep either)

Op good work,Please can you explain this part for me , If the king DIE on the battle field, so they will still expect him to come home and commit suicide again?
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by 0ntruth: 1:47pm On Apr 28, 2017
Rosella1:

Why not take the risk and see things for yourself?who among them don try or confirm that superstitious?
Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by snofay(m): 1:49pm On Apr 28, 2017
HDee:
So, cotonue guys are basically yorubas self..
Interesting
No, they are not all Yorubas, Yoruba is one of the tribes in benin republic. A minority tribe though.

3 Likes

Re: A Trip To Porto-novo's Historical Sites (pics) by Rosella1: 2:28pm On Apr 28, 2017
0ntruth:

Op good work,Please can you explain this part for me , If the king DIE on the battle field, so they will still expect him to come home and commit suicide again?

When the king goes to war or battle, if he doesn't conquer his enemies or die in the battle field. When he comes back home, the people expect him to visit THE ROOM OF DEATH (which is the tradition) to commit suicide as a sign of honour because he didn't win the war.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aero Contractors Halts Operations Over Economic Crisis / Thread For Nigerians In Tahiti / Six Things Nigerians Should Not Do On A Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.