Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki (7592 Views)

Lagos Seals Banks, Hotels, Others On Airport Road For Planning Infractions / Collapsed Building In Lagos: List Of Survivors / Five School Children Rescued From Collapsed Building In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by 360metrosports: 9:45pm On Apr 28, 2017
The Lagos State Government on Friday sealed off the building that partially collapsed at Nicon Town Estate on Admiralty Way in Lekki on Thursday which reportedly killed two persons and left one other severely injured.

The State Government has also ordered integrity test to be conducted on the structure.

Speaking to reporters after carrying out on-the-spot assessment of the incident, the State’s Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Tpl. Wasiu Anifowose, said the building would remain sealed till the completion of investigation by relevant government agencies, while the report of the investigation would be made public in due course.

He said officials of the Ministry immediately moved to site after being alerted of the incident, while the workers at the scene were evacuated.

He said: “Yesterday, I was in my office when I had a call that there was a partial building collapse in Lekki and I immediately mobilized my officers to site. They have given me their report and the onus is on me to ascertain the situation of things and that is why I am here.

“Based on our preliminary investigation, we discovered that it was the roof gutter of the building under construction that fell off the main house and a vibrator was also used.

“At the moment, the State Government has taken the necessary steps; we have evacuated all the people that worked on the building and the property has been sealed off. It will remain sealed until we conclude our investigation,” Anifowose said.

He, however, faulted the owner of the building for not displaying the Project Board on the site of the construction as required, but said the ongoing investigation would reveal actual state of things.

“The Project Board usually contains information such as the name of the architect, name of the engineer, the name of builder and the approved building plan. There is nothing of such here but like I said, we will go back to the office and check the file. There are two levels of approvals for this type of construction and that is approval from the management of the Estate and then approval of the State Government.

“Since this is a case of partial building collapse, the first thing we are going to do is to conduct integrity test. The test will confirm to us whether the construction can continue or otherwise, after which the government will do the needful and the public will hear from us,” Anifowose said.

SIGNED
OLUBUKONLA NWONAH
CHIEF PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICER
LAGOS STATE MINISTRY OF PHYSICAL PLANNING
AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT
APRIL 28, 2017

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/04/lagos-seal-collapsed-building-in-lekki.html

cc: lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by Vicolan: 9:50pm On Apr 28, 2017
What they will reopen back when the owner pay the usual dues

First to comment.....

Dedicated to all my Chelsea fans on nairaland and to the likes of Sarrki and others BMC hope your alert they enter ooo

Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by dyze(m): 7:27am On Apr 29, 2017
Medicine after death. Where was the government during initial construction process.

Guess the money that has rubbed hand has blinded them to the truth.

Pity the life's lost.

Check my signature for secured dating site for xtians
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by Flexherbal(m): 7:27am On Apr 29, 2017
This could be as a result of:

Substandard building materials or unqualified engineer.
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by DollarAngel(m): 7:28am On Apr 29, 2017
H

Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by gabazin080(m): 7:28am On Apr 29, 2017
we know its all about the money. it will be reopened instead of persecuting the engineer and owner of the house
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by tellwisdom: 7:29am On Apr 29, 2017
Na so e for collapse on the owner and tenants, and the next is to start thinking of candle night. chai...Jesus is Lord sad
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by ifyalways(f): 7:30am On Apr 29, 2017
Nicon town estate is off admiralty way only on nairaland.com.

@Topic, not sure the state Govt would do anything after the initial gra gra, money will be exchanged and the case will gradually die down. The families of the two dead artisans will be left alone with no compensation whatsoever for losing their breadwinners.

Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by subsurface: 7:39am On Apr 29, 2017
All these na demo... money will reopened it.. check lekki gardens @ elegushi..

Lagos state prefer money and big men to the lives of the poor masses.. irrespective of tribe.

Mega city for only the rich..
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by ednut1(m): 7:49am On Apr 29, 2017
Nawa. Even the Lagos State govt no no road. How is Admiralty and nicon town relate . Nonsense

Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by RosaConsidine: 8:15am On Apr 29, 2017
subsurface:
All these na demo... money will reopened it.. check lekki gardens @ elegushi..

Lagos state prefer money and big men to the lives of the poor masses.. irrespective of tribe.

Mega city for only the rich..

shey it's big ,en that would have lived in the house after construction. If it had collapsed after completion, is it not the big men that would suffer it?
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by sheunflexy(m): 8:29am On Apr 29, 2017
Looking at those slabs it shows no deformation,the problem should come from the structural design,having said that gutter roof is a uniform distributed load which require a minimal interval between each column,and for God sake why do you have to use poker or a vibrator while constructing a gutter roof? all you need is a proper mixing to a standard ratio,kudos to the carpenters,they must have done a good job to prevent it from coming down even while casting.
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by Casiafarms: 9:35am On Apr 29, 2017
Wow
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by money121(m): 9:44am On Apr 29, 2017
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by Astrogeotech: 9:57am On Apr 29, 2017
soil test

Soil test, in as much as it is the most cheapeat but yet important apart of a construction, some people has chosen to omitted it, saying "I HAVE THE CONTACT OF THE ENGINEER THAT CONSTRUCT THAT THIRD OR FORTH BULDING IN MY AREA SO I DONT NEED A SOIL TEST" He will use is idea.. A mistake they will later regrets.. most times when we feels we are being money wise we are actually preparing for the most terrible thing..you can't eat your cake and still have it,no short cut in construction work.

please Dont miss quote me.
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by money121(m): 10:11am On Apr 29, 2017
Material: *Aluminum (0.45mm thick)*

Style: *Longspan*
Colour: Traffic Black and biegi

*Roof, Cladding and Flashing* 712.3m @ N1680/m = *N1,196,664

*Accessories:* = *N50,000*

Transportation=#50,000

*Total* = *N1,296,664*

Call/WhatsApp 080-85-310-359 For Your Next Roofing Project

Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by kingthreat(m): 10:23am On Apr 29, 2017
dyze:
Medicine after death. Where was the government during initial construction process.

Guess the money that has rubbed hand has blinded them to the truth.

Pity the life's lost.

Check my signature for secured dating site for xtians

So government should be there when you are building your house? No worry, government go dey dere when you dey kpansh your wife
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by Lanre4uonly(m): 11:02am On Apr 29, 2017
Integrity test needs to be carried out on the collapsed building to determine whether substandard materials were used for it or not.
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by micgray100(m): 11:13am On Apr 29, 2017
Use of vibrator for roof gutter is not a good practise especially if the roof gutter is cantilevered..

Won't be surprise the engineer that designed the structure isn't available when all these is done cos the contractor want to avoid paying for the engineers presence..

I am a structural engineer .. And I see these dirty attitude of contractors daily ...
Re: Lagos Seals Collapsed Building In Lekki by dyze(m): 4:40pm On Apr 29, 2017
kingthreat:

So government should be there when you are building your house? No worry, government go dey dere when you dey kpansh your wife

How Can I Get Nairaland's Email Or Phone Number Contact? / See This 3 Bedroom Bungalow Design Perfectly Suited For A 30ft X 120ft Land Size / Three Quick Ways To Checking A Defective Land In Lagos