Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,481 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From (13436 Views)

Abdulfatai Coker: Yoruba Monarchs In North Not Accorded Respect / 5 Nigerian Monarchs That Own A Rolls Royce (see Photos) / A-z:list Of Oba’s That Have Ruled The Ancient Benin Kingdom((1180-present) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MetaPhysical: 6:21pm On Apr 29, 2017
It has become a pastime for people of Edo to challenge the origin of their Supreme Monarch, Oba of Benin.

There are many historical accounts on line dating back to centuries and archived as records of:
1. Bini myths
2. Oral accounts of Benin palace
3. Written narrations of Portuguese traders in contact with Benin people
4. Accounts of British colonialists

and then followed by academic works of:
Archaeologists
Historians
Linguists
Investigative scientists
Museum curators
Writers and Authors

In the following I share with you an article that attempts to summarize the beginning and institutionalizing of the Benin throne, starting with the root of Ogiso as a Yoruba dynasty originating from Ile Ife, their station in Udo, their conquest of Edo and ruling over the Edos in the beginning, their invitation of Oranmiyan from Ife, the deletion of first dynasty Ogiso and establishment of a second dynasty Oba to continue the rulership.

Igodo, a popular label by Edos is reference to Udo, a settlement between Ife and Benin, where the first Monarchs were based before moving to Benin.

This article is a collection, a summary taken from many books and sources, all in agreement that Edos historically did not have a monarchy system. Monarchy was forced on them first by Ogiso and second by Oba dynasties. Both dynasties originated from Ile Ife.

Please pay attention to the reference list, it is vast and deep and also broad. If you have the interest get some of these referenced books and read.

I took the pain to add the long list of references so the authenticity of this article is not questioned.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MetaPhysical: 6:23pm On Apr 29, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nutase: 6:25pm On Apr 29, 2017
From the sun
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MetaPhysical: 6:28pm On Apr 29, 2017

1 Share

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MetaPhysical: 6:29pm On Apr 29, 2017

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MetaPhysical: 6:30pm On Apr 29, 2017
-

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MetaPhysical: 6:31pm On Apr 29, 2017
--

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MetaPhysical: 6:31pm On Apr 29, 2017
---

1 Share

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by BabaRamota1980: 10:01pm On Apr 29, 2017
So after reading this is there any Edo that will dispute?
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olaskybab: 5:28am On Apr 30, 2017
The fact is that, most of them,esp the elders know the truth. But they would rather manipulate history in their favour. There is a GST course in UNIBEN, NPC, the whole book is full of lies and manipulations. Imagine dem claiming Yoruba is from Benin, Ogun nd Sango are from Benin etc... Anyway, I just jack deir book to get d 'A' I need sha, notin more.

1 Like

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by aljharem(m): 10:25am On Apr 30, 2017
Olaskybab:
The fact is that, most of them,esp the elders know the truth. But they would rather manipulate history in their favour. There is a GST course in UNIBEN, NPC, the whole book is full of lies and manipulations. Imagine dem claiming Yoruba is from Benin, Ogun nd Sango are from Benin etc... Anyway, I just jack deir book to get d 'A' I need sha, notin more.

Benins are funny people. They would rather manipulate their history to justify "their kingdom" some of them even say Benin republic is from bini but those ones acknowledge yorubas. I say to you all Lagos island indigene have deny their Benin heritage because of the liesin Benin history.

As of today you rarely even hear itsekeris call themselves offshot of benin. The olu went to ile ife.

Benin will lose everything because Oduduwa has laid a curse on anyone that denies his ancestral home. Just take a look at bini town and compare with even ugheli or Agbarwo . Benin is not moving forward.

5 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olaskybab: 2:56pm On Apr 30, 2017
aljharem:

Benins are funny people. They would rather manipulate their history to justify "their kingdom" some of them even say Benin republic is from bini but those ones acknowledge yorubas. I say to you all Lagos island indigene have deny their Benin heritage because of the liesin Benin history.

As of today you rarely even hear itsekeris call themselves offshot of benin. The olu went to ile ife.

Benin will lose everything because Oduduwa has laid a curse on anyone that denies his ancestral home. Just take a look at bini town and compare with even ugheli or Agbarwo . Benin is not moving forward.
Lol......@d bolded

1 Like

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MayorofLagos(m): 5:06pm On Apr 30, 2017
OP,
I remember telling you before to please send me an alert when you create thread on Yoruba. This thread has been couple of days old and I just happen to find out. Somebody need to be hitting these Edos on their head and that somebodybis me. This thread is what we call mother of all revelations. Meat don land!

So you mean to tell me even their Ogiso that they shove in people face was a creation of Ile Ife and originated from Yoruba? Ahhh, I will be back later to comment. angry

5 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MayorofLagos(m): 5:14pm On Apr 30, 2017
Ok OP im following you now. You dont run from controversial subjects, keep it up, but send me notification so i can jump in and contribute blows. grin
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 8:03pm On Apr 30, 2017
I thought the Edos said, they are older than YORUBA KINGDOM, WITH OGISO from the SKY. I know EDOS won't come on here to defend their contrive list of kings from Ogiso dynasty in the land of ogodomigodo which they claimed ,that it predated OBAS ERA. Their modern day scholars are indefinite liars. Imagine, what OBA BINI even said on his coronation day! Politically claiming ODUA as an OGISO's descendant. I don't even know what ORANMIYAN WENT TO DO IN THE LAND OF THE UNGRATEFUL INFESTED WITH LIES.

4 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by aljharem(m): 9:11pm On Apr 30, 2017
Why is this not fp
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by YonkijiSappo: 1:13am On May 01, 2017
aljharem:

grin
Lwkmd!!

4 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MayorofLagos(m): 4:58am On May 01, 2017
aljharem:
Why is this not fp

I agree alhaji. This is a myth buster!

How many people know Edos were conquered by invaders from Ife who installed a Chiefdom on them, and then followed it up with a monarchy, which then evolved into an Empire?

This is front page material definitely

4 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MayorofLagos(m): 5:17am On May 01, 2017
Olu317:
I thought the Edos said, they are older than YORUBA KINGDOM, WITH OGISO from the SKY. I know EDOS won't come on here to defend their contrive list of kings from Ogiso dynasty in the land of ogodomigodo which they claimed ,that it predated OBAS ERA. Their modern day scholars are indefinite liars. Imagine, what OBA BINI even said on his coronation day! Politically claiming ODUA as an OGISO's descendant. I don't even know what ORANMIYAN WENT TO DO IN THE LAND OF THE UNGRATEFUL INFESTED WITH LIES.

Olu,
so, im thinking if the second dynasty (Oba) started with Oranmiyan, who is grandchild of Oduduwa, then the first dynasty (Ogiso) must have predated Oduduwa, unless we have a similar scenario to the dynasties in Lagos, also played out in Bini.

In Lagos, three generation Kings (Ado, Gbobaro and Akinsemoyin) covered a span of 100yrs reign and ended first dynasty in 1749. Erelu Kekere was Queen Mother, her son Ologun Kutere began the second dynasty in 1749.

So could the reign of Ogisos have been a short one, starting in lifetime of Oduduwa and three generations later was succeeded by Oranmiyan, grandchild?

The Ogisos are said to come from the sky during the great creation. I interprete this to mean their authority and political power. That would in essence be an extension of Oduduwa.

We don't have a list of the Ogisos or their reigns to calculate the chronology and evolution in reference to Ife, the origin of their throne.

Give me your thoughts on the time span bro.
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by nisai: 6:47am On May 01, 2017
MetaPhysical:
It has become a pastime for people of Edo to challenge the origin of their Supreme Monarch, Oba of Benin.

There are many historical accounts on line dating back to centuries and archived as records of:
1. Bini myths
2. Oral accounts of Benin palace
3. Written narrations of Portuguese traders in contact with Benin people
4. Accounts of British colonialists

and then followed by academic works of:
Archaeologists
Historians
Linguists
Investigative scientists
Museum curators
Writers and Authors

In the following I share with you an article that attempts to summarize the beginning and institutionalizing of the Benin throne, starting with the root of Ogiso as a Yoruba dynasty originating from Ile Ife, their station in Udo, their conquest of Edo and ruling over the Edos in the beginning, their invitation of Oranmiyan from Ife, the deletion of first dynasty Ogiso and establishment of a second dynasty Oba to continue the rulership.

Igodo, a popular label by Edos is reference to Udo, a settlement between Ife and Benin, where the first Monarchs were based before moving to Benin.

This article is a collection, a summary taken from many books and sources, all in agreement that Edos historically did not have a monarchy system. Monarchy was forced on them first by Ogiso and second by Oba dynasties. Both dynasties originated from Ile Ife.

Please pay attention to the reference list, it is vast and deep and also broad. If you have the interest get some of these referenced books and read.

I took the pain to add the long list of references so the authenticity of this article is not questioned.
AreaFada2

1 Like

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by AreaFada2: 7:29am On May 01, 2017
nisai:
AreaFada2

A very desperate SW attempt here again. There is no single historical evidence of any yoruboid influence on Benin Monarchy before Oranmiyan.

How many monarchs had Ife before Izoduwa/Oduduwa? Benin had around 35 Ogisos already before Izoduwa. You mean a group of primitive ife farmers and hunter/gatherers planted ogiso monarchy at Udo around 40BC but yet it took Izoduwa's children a millennium plus later to conquer nearby Yoruba settlements? grin cheesy
I think this is a poor and watery attempt at reverse psychology and revisionism.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 8:19am On May 01, 2017
AreaFada2:

A very desperate SW attempt here again. There is no single historical evidence of any yoruboid influence on Benin Monarchy before Oranmiyan.

How many monarchs had Ife before Izoduwa/Oduduwa? Benin had around 35 Ogisos already before Izoduwa. You mean a group of primitive ife farmers and hunter/gatherers planted ogiso monarchy at Udo around 40BC but yet it took Izoduwa's children a millennium plus later to conquer nearby Yoruba settlements? grin cheesy
I think this is a poor and watery attempt at reverse psychology and revisionism.
You called Yoruba primitive? And it was clearly stated by Reich D and co other DNA analysis on YORUBA AND KHOISAN OF SOUTH AFRICA ,which identified them as the two proven African descents from SUBSAHARA AFRICA WITH NEANDERTHALS ANCESTORS.
Go and read more books to learn more on YORUBA Ethnicity and others . You can get a copy of; “Reich, D. et al. Genetic history of an archaic hominin group from Denisova Cave in Siberia."
DNA has been supporting Yoruba history of late even if some whites politicians don't like the truth. Their historians, archaeologists, ethnologists, also, those who study ethnography et al have been doing more research day and night on Yoruba history. Despite, the fact that
John Alfonso d'Aveiro (1485-86), and subsequently by several Portuguese, Dutch and English travellers came in contact with BINI. Have you not asked yourself this question;Why did a Fulani Sultan, a core Muslim leader,Arab descendant,call Yoruba, children of CANAAN? Why havent the whites done much about IGODO, if it truly exist?
YORUBA WAS EVEN PRONOUNCED AS DESCENDANTS OF ISRAEL BY A GERMAN EMERITUS PROFESSOR DIERK LANGE .
EDO history is interwoven with YORUBA. YORUBA SHAPED YOUR ADVANCEMENT And history.
LOOK AROUND YOU, WHICH ETHNICITY IS THE MOSTLY RESPECTED OUTSIDE NIGERIA?

PIECE OF ADVICE : go find more on BINI DNA traces to start with.

Go to British museum and see the replica of how Yoruba thought YOU(BINI) ART WORK.

Deal with the truth.

7 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 9:33am On May 01, 2017
MayorofLagos:

Olu,
so, im thinking if the second dynasty (Oba) started with Oranmiyan, who is grandchild of Oduduwa, then the first dynasty (Ogiso) must have predated Oduduwa, unless we have a similar scenario to the dynasties in Lagos, also played out in Bini.

In Lagos, three generation Kings (Ado, Gbobaro and Akinsemoyin) covered a span of 100yrs reign and ended first dynasty in 1749. Erelu Kekere was Queen Mother, her son Ologun Kutere began the second dynasty in 1749.

So could the reign of Ogisos have been a short one, starting in lifetime of Oduduwa and three generations later was succeeded by Oranmiyan, grandchild?

The Ogisos are said to come from the sky during the great creation. I interprete this to mean their authority and political power. That would in essence be an extension of Oduduwa.

We don't have a list of the Ogisos or their reigns to calculate the chronology and evolution in reference to Ife, the origin of their throne.

Give me your thoughts on the time span bro.
Let comment on the issue of IDUNGARAN, as it was used by your analysis. I have asked, what language is ASHIPA? I am as certain as sleep, that there isn't any real connection to BINI KINGDOM UNLESS, there is a proof of where FORMER KINGS of IDUNGARAN were buried at Edo. YORUBA MAY HAVE LOST SOME FEW PART OF THEIR history through Oral but certainly not lineage link. Irrespective of the little flaws which is universal as well. Even the Greek, thought at one time claimed ATLAS WAS THE ONE WHO CARRIED THE WHOLE WORLD (HEAVEN)“www​.theoi.com/Titan/TitanAtlas.html", ON HIS BACK. So, there are flaws in other people's history as well. I hold on more to the history of ASHIPA to a Yoruba descent of either Itsekiri or Ilaje axis. BINI is Landlocked. How can they lay claim to the sea? The itsekiri are the ones who were into heavy beads production in that axis.ITSEKIRI thought BINI BEADS. CHECK Itsekiri history you will be amazed that Itsekiri were the ones that gave plenty beads to one of the BINI true prince that visited their abode . Some people always try to hide under the auspices of a well pronounced name, which was what I thought happened on the issue of ASHIPA. And after a while, the tide changed back to another Yoruba descent from IJESHA /ILESHA axis man. In history, people do loose their right to the throne but can Never loose their IDENTITY.
ODUA had no connection with BINI until ODÈDÈ, because, ODUA WAS A WHITE ALONGSIDE WITH HIS GROUP. OGUN was DARK WHILE ORANMIYAN WAS MORE A LIGHTER HALF CASTE. ODÈDÈ'S MOTHER WAS LIGHT FROM OTUN'S LINEAGE. AND THE HISTORY OTUN TOLD MENTIONED ABOUT THEM EMERGING FROM THE SEA. IF YOU HAVE BEEN TO IDANRE MOUNTAINS(HILL),there is a cave where a olden days wrecked boat kind of, called OKO UA(NUAH). There are things, a lot don't know About YORUBA. YOU CAN VISIT, to see .And by then, you won't attach any princely lineage of EDO to Yoruba pre ODÈDÈ( Oranmiyan ). Although, I know and heard of UDO ,which was an archaic Yoruba word too but I there isn't any connection to ADIMULA as far as I know it. No radio carbon proof nor tradition connection. History deal with ORAL, ARCHEOLOGY FINDING, ETHNOLOGY,ETHNOLOGY,LANGUAGE etc. And DNA TRACES has NAILED so many things about human Race.
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by AreaFada2: 9:48am On May 01, 2017
Olu317:
You called Yoruba primitive? And it was clearly stated by Reich D and co other DNA analysis on YORUBA AND KHOISAN OF SOUTH AFRICA ,which identified them as the two proven African descents from SUBSAHARA AFRICA WITH NEANDERTHALS ANCESTORS.
Go and read more books to learn more on YORUBA Ethnicity and others . You can get a copy of; “Reich, D. et al. Genetic history of an archaic hominin group from Denisova Cave in Siberia."
DNA has been supporting Yoruba history of late even if some whites politicians don't like the truth. Their historians, archaeologists, ethnologists, also, those who study ethnography et al have been doing more research day and night on Yoruba history. Despite, the fact that
John Alfonso d'Aveiro (1485-86), and subsequently by several Portuguese, Dutch and English travellers came in contact with BINI. Have you not asked yourself this question;Why did a Fulani Sultan, a core Muslim leader,Arab descendant,call Yoruba, children of CANAAN? Why havent the whites done much about IGODO, if it truly exist?
YORUBA WAS EVEN PRONOUNCED AS DESCENDANTS OF ISRAEL BY A GERMAN EMERITUS PROFESSOR DIERK LANGE .
EDO history is interwoven with YORUBA. YORUBA SHAPED YOUR ADVANCEMENT And history.
LOOK AROUND YOU, WHICH ETHNICITY IS THE MOSTLY RESPECTED OUTSIDE NIGERIA?

PIECE OF ADVICE : go find more on BINI DNA traces to start with.

Go to British museum and see the replica of how Yoruba thought YOU(BINI) ART WORK.

Deal with the truth.

Very funny that Benin Art is more famous than Ife art. grin cheesy
Ife trying to take credit for Benin art by attaching to it.

I have not only seen it at The British Mueseum, I have seen it at Das Musuem fuer Voelkerkunde in Berlin, the former Musee des Arts d'Afrique et d'Oceanie (Former French president Chirac is even a big fan/connoisseur of Benin arts) in Paris, now moved to Musee du Quai Branly, , Amsterdam Museum and several others across the world. I can recommend many others to you to see.

Still attaching to Benin art is somehow demeaning. Appreciate it fine.
By 40BC Ife was pretty primitive. Benin already had an Ogiso/Oba-godo and it took Izoduwa to bring monarchy to Ife around 1150 AD. So yes, if they were sophisticated, they would have developed a better organised & centralised leadership before that.

Neanderthal DNA is pretty old. But they were primitive.

Until Australopithecus afarensis fossils were found in Afar region of Ethiopia, nobody knew such human species existed. So more & more are being discovered.

Well the Arabs & Muslims always wanted to determine Yoruba's fate. They even gave the name "Yoruba." Benin were much too stubborn. Fighting off Jihadists in Edo North and still fighting the British as late as 1897 when all Yoruba kings had already meekly signed humiliating treaties. grin cheesy

Respected by white people, buhahahaha. cheesy cheesy grin. You know Oyinbo like those they have managed to fool. Benin of about 4 million people punches way higher in world artistic recognition than Yoruba of same population would have been. You say Oyinbo do not do studies into Benin history, why is it that BBC documentaries about African civilisation necessarily includes a long part of Benin history? Because they know the value & quality of it. Is BBC owned by Gombe or Akwa Ibom govt? shocked shocked

I happen to have several books on Benin History, Benin Royal Court, etc by white people like Bondarenko, Midwinter, Bradbury & others. The books cost me from $90 to about $450 each. Which not highly respected history deserves books by foreigners that cost that much? grin grin

In any case we do need Oyinbo to give us a sense of self-worth. Far much less the Arabs that still treat African domestic servants in the gulf as personal property today.

Oba of Benin doesn't even travel around doing PR o. He does not go to Brazil, Cuba or other God-forsaken places Yoruba slaves ended up, like your Obas do, embarrassing in my view. What could be more civilised than refusing to sell our people (Edo) into slavery when other Africans were busy selling themselves & the Europeans were trading in humans? At that point, Benin civilisation easily trumped the Muslim Arabs, Catholics & protestant Europeans who engaged in that barbaric trade.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 9:52am On May 01, 2017
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 11:01am On May 01, 2017
AreaFada2:

Very funny that Benin Art is more famous than Ife art. grin cheesy
Ife trying to take credit for Benin art by attaching to it.

I have not only seen it at The British Mueseum, I have seen it at Das Musuem fuer Voelkerkunde in Berlin, the former Musee des Arts d'Afrique et d'Oceanie (Former French president Chirac is even a big fan/connoisseur of Benin arts) in Paris, now moved to Musee du Quai Branly, , Amsterdam Museum and several others across the world. I can recommend many others to you to see.

Still attaching to Benin art is somehow demeaning. Appreciate it fine.
By 40BC Ife was pretty primitive. Benin already had an Ogiso/Oba-godo and it took Izoduwa to bring monarchy to Ife around 1150 AD. So yes, if they were sophisticated, they would have developed a better organised & centralised leadership before that.

Neanderthal DNA is pretty old. But they were primitive.

Until Australopithecus afarensis fossils were found in Afar region of Ethiopia, nobody knew such human species existed. So more & more are being discovered.

Well the Arabs & Muslims always wanted to determine Yoruba's fate. They even gave the name "Yoruba." Benin were much too stubborn. Fighting off Jihadists in Edo North ans still fighting the British as late as 1897 when all Yoruba kings had already meekly signed humiliating treaties. grin cheesy

Respected by white people, buhahahaha. You know Oyinbo like those they have managed to fool. Benin of about 4 million people punches way higher in world artistic recognition than Yoruba of same population would have been. You say Oyinbo do not do studies into Benin history, why is it that BBC documentaries about African civilisation necessarily includes a long part of Benin history? Because they know the value & quality of it. Is BBC owned by Gombe or Akwa Ibom govt? shocked shocked
I happen to have several books on Benin History, Benin Royal Court, etc by white people like Bondarenko, Midwinter, Bradbury & others. The books cost me from $90 to about $450 each. Which not highly respected history deserves books by foreigners that cost that much? grin grin

in any case we do need Oyinbo to give a sense of self-worth. Far much less the Arabs that still treat African domestic servants in the gulf as personal property today.

Oba of Benin doesn't even travel around doing PR o. He does not go to Brazil, Cuba or other God-forsaken places Yoruba slaves ended up, like your Obas do, embarrassing in my view. What could be more civilised than refusing to sell our people (Edo) into slavery when other Africans were busy selling themselves & the Europeans were trading in humans. At that point, Benin civilisation easily trumped the Muslim Arabs, Catholic & protestant Europeans who engaged in that barbaric trade.

HISTORY OF BINI BRONZE CASTING

According to Bini tradition, brass-casting was introduced into Benin by medieval artists from Ife (Uhe) under Oba Oguola in about 1280. The Oba wanted works like those imported from Ife to be produced in Benin itself. He therefore sent to the Oghene of Uhe for a brass-smith and Igue-igha was sent to him. Igue-igha was very clever and left many designs to his successors and was in consequence deified and is worshipped to this day by brass-smiths. The practice of making brass castings for the preservation of the records of events was originated during the reign of Oguola. Oba Esigie (c.1504) encouraged and improved the brass work, and it is generally recognised that the art of Benin reached its prime in the sixteenth century. Ivory and wood carving were introduced by Oba Ewuare the great (c. 1440), while ivory flutes (akohen) were invented sometime after 1735 by a man called Ereoyen.

HOW WAS IT PRODUCED?
The bronzes are produced by what is known as the cire-perdu (lost-wax) process. A model is made - usually of clay - and covered with a layer of wax. If the object is very small the model is entirely of wax, A thin metal tube is attached to each end of the waxed model, and the whole encased in a lump of soft clay. When the clay has hardened, the molten metal is poured into the upper tube through a funnel. It runs down into the interior, filling the space occupied by the wax, while the melted wax flows out through the lower tube, hence the name lost-wax. When the metal has cooled the shell of clay is carefully broken and removed. The surface of the bronze is invariably rough, and has to be finished off with chisel and file. In cases of bad craftsmanship, holes may be left where the metal did not entirely fill the cavity. The clay in the interior is usually burnt quite black with the heat, and can be dug out comparatively easily.

WHERE CAN THE REPLICA OF THE METHOD OF PRODUCTION BE FOUND?
This technique has been recorded in many books, and there is a set of models in the British Museum showing various stages of the work. It is the method used in all West African bronze and brass industries.

YORUBA SCULPTURE

There is a vast difference between the ancient art of the Yorubas and their present-day work. Modern Yoruba art consists chiefly of wooden figures and masks. With its striking polychrome paintings, it is certainly very decorative, but it is on a lower artistic plane than the old classic stone sculpture in stone, terracotta and bronze. The old carvings in hard stone such as quartz and the old bronze castings are distinguished by an astonishing fidelity to nature, absolutely correct proportions and a lack of conventional features. The technique was excellent and the figures show a marked sense of beauty.
It is probably centuries since work of this kind was produced at Ife, but the antique masterpieces have never been forgotten. Bronze heads still stand in the palace of the Oni. On certain festivals they are removed by the priests and carried to the shrines. Dozens of beautiful terracotta heads were kept in a shrine outside the town until only a few years ago, when they were all stolen or broken. In Ife there is still a ram's head in granite, almost life-size, and ceremonial stools carved in single pieces from solid pieces of quartz. But it is the
terracotta sculpture (and bronzes) WHICH SHOW THE ART OF ANCIENT IFE AT ITS BEST. EVEN THE BENIN HEADS CANNOT COMPARE.

WHICH AMONG THE BRONZE CASTING IN ILE IFE AND BINI IS OLDER?

The age of the IFE HEADS has not yet been CONCLUSIVELY ASCERTAINED, but since it is PRACTICALLY CERTAIN THAT the BRONZE ART of BENIN WAS DERIVED FROM IFE, there is some data to work on. They FIRST CAME FROM IFE to BENIN about 1280, after which it must have taken some time for this CRUDE ART to develop into the masterpieces which we know, so that the BRONZE art of IFE CANNOT have reached its zenith till the thirteenth century at the earliest.

Although both in terra-cotta and bronze the ethnic characteristics of the models are well portrayed, the works resemble the sculpture of ancient Greece or Egyptian art , rather than the culture of black Africa.

You only made mockery of yourself because, you have not VISITED MANY PLACES. So deal with it.

you can visit when less busy or check it out at British Museum or visit :www.visual-arts-cork.com

If the whites don't acknowledge, your BINI without Yoruba history, what does it say about you? It simply meant, we married your Women and gave you HISTORY.
IF NEANDERTHALS WERE PRIMITIVE, THEN THANK GOD THAT THEY WERE THE ONES THAT DEVELOPED AND GAVE HUMANITY THE NEEDED TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT IT HAS TODAY.
LASTLY, YOU ARE NOT WELL STUDIOUS BECAUSE FULANI DIDN'T CALL US YORUBA BUT BERBER Scholar IN MAHLI CALLEd Ibñ Baba Ahmed in 16th CENTURY .FULANI SULTAN SAW IT IN THEIR AJAMI ABOUT YORUBA BEING DESCENDANTS OF CANAAN.

IT IS A BITTER PILL, SWALLOW IT WITH CALMNESS.

BINI TOO STUBBORN?
WHERE IN YOUR HISTORY DID THEY MENTIONED CALVARY WARRIORS?
WHERE IN BINI HISTORY DID SHE FIGHT REAL WAR?
WHY IS YOUR LANGUAGE GOING INTO EXTINCTION IF BINI WAS A POWERFUL KINGDOM ?
WHAT IS EVEN EDO POPULATION THAT YOU CLAIMED STUBBORNNESS TOWARD BRITISH ARMY ?
DID YOU NOT KNOW BRITISH EMPIRE WROTE OUT A TREATY FOR YORUBA TO SIGN AMONGST EKITIPARAPO AND IBADAN ARMY?

IF BINI WAS THAT STUBBORN, WHY DIDN'T HISTORY RECORD ITS MIGHT AGAINST EVEN EBIRA KINGDOM?

BINI was literally BEGGING OGEDENGBE AGBOGUNGBORO AND HIS CO WARRIOR , WHEN THEY WERE RAIDING PART OF EDO.
YOU NEED TO READ MORE TO BE WELL INFORMED WITH THE FACT.

GET IT TO YOUR HEAD, BRO.
ODUA DESCENDANT REPRESENT ALWAYS

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by AreaFada2: 2:52pm On May 01, 2017
Olu317:

HISTORY OF BINI BRONZE CASTING

According to Bini tradition, brass-casting was introduced into Benin by medieval artists from Ife (Uhe) under Oba Oguola in about 1280. The Oba wanted works like those imported from Ife to be produced in Benin itself. He therefore sent to the Oghene of Uhe for a brass-smith and Igue-igha was sent to him. Igue-igha was very clever and left many designs to his successors and was in consequence deified and is worshipped to this day by brass-smiths. The practice of making brass castings for the preservation of the records of events was originated during the reign of Oguola. Oba Esigie (c.1504) encouraged and improved the brass work, and it is generally recognised that the art of Benin reached its prime in the sixteenth century. Ivory and wood carving were introduced by Oba Ewuare the great (c. 1440), while ivory flutes (akohen) were invented sometime after 1735 by a man called Ereoyen.

HOW WAS IT PRODUCED?
The bronzes are produced by what is known as the cire-perdu (lost-wax) process. A model is made - usually of clay - and covered with a layer of wax. If the object is very small the model is entirely of wax, A thin metal tube is attached to each end of the waxed model, and the whole encased in a lump of soft clay. When the clay has hardened, the molten metal is poured into the upper tube through a funnel. It runs down into the interior, filling the space occupied by the wax, while the melted wax flows out through the lower tube, hence the name lost-wax. When the metal has cooled the shell of clay is carefully broken and removed. The surface of the bronze is invariably rough, and has to be finished off with chisel and file. In cases of bad craftsmanship, holes may be left where the metal did not entirely fill the cavity. The clay in the interior is usually burnt quite black with the heat, and can be dug out comparatively easily.

WHERE CAN THE REPLICA OF THE METHOD OF PRODUCTION BE FOUND?
This technique has been recorded in many books, and there is a set of models in the British Museum showing various stages of the work. It is the method used in all West African bronze and brass industries.

YORUBA SCULPTURE

There is a vast difference between the ancient art of the Yorubas and their present-day work. Modern Yoruba art consists chiefly of wooden figures and masks. With its striking polychrome paintings, it is certainly very decorative, but it is on a lower artistic plane than the old classic stone sculpture in stone, terracotta and bronze. The old carvings in hard stone such as quartz and the old bronze castings are distinguished by an astonishing fidelity to nature, absolutely correct proportions and a lack of conventional features. The technique was excellent and the figures show a marked sense of beauty.
It is probably centuries since work of this kind was produced at Ife, but the antique masterpieces have never been forgotten. Bronze heads still stand in the palace of the Oni. On certain festivals they are removed by the priests and carried to the shrines. Dozens of beautiful terracotta heads were kept in a shrine outside the town until only a few years ago, when they were all stolen or broken. In Ife there is still a ram's head in granite, almost life-size, and ceremonial stools carved in single pieces from solid pieces of quartz. But it is the
terracotta sculpture (and bronzes) WHICH SHOW THE ART OF ANCIENT IFE AT ITS BEST. EVEN THE BENIN HEADS CANNOT COMPARE.

WHICH AMONG THE BRONZE CASTING IN ILE IFE AND BINI IS OLDER?

The age of the IFE HEADS has not yet been CONCLUSIVELY ASCERTAINED, but since it is PRACTICALLY CERTAIN THAT the BRONZE ART of BENIN WAS DERIVED FROM IFE, there is some data to work on. They FIRST CAME FROM IFE to BENIN about 1280, after which it must have taken some time for this CRUDE ART to develop into the masterpieces which we know, so that the BRONZE art of IFE CANNOT have reached its zenith till the thirteenth century at the earliest.

Although both in terra-cotta and bronze the ethnic characteristics of the models are well portrayed, the works resemble the sculpture of ancient Greece or Egyptian art , rather than the culture of black Africa.

You only made mockery of yourself because, you have not VISITED MANY PLACES. So deal with it.

you can visit when less busy or check it out at British Museum or visit :www.visual-arts-cork.com

If the whites don't acknowledge, your BINI without Yoruba history, what does it say about you? It simply meant, we married your Women and gave you HISTORY.
IF NEANDERTHALS WERE PRIMITIVE, THEN THANK GOD THAT THEY WERE THE ONES THAT DEVELOPED AND GAVE HUMANITY THE NEEDED TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT IT HAS TODAY.
LASTLY, YOU ARE NOT WELL STUDIOUS BECAUSE FULANI DIDN'T CALL US YORUBA BUT BERBER Scholar IN MAHLI CALLEd Ibñ Baba Ahmed in 16th CENTURY .FULANI SULTAN SAW IT IN THEIR AJAMI ABOUT YORUBA BEING DESCENDANTS OF CANAAN.

IT IS A BITTER PILL, SWALLOW IT WITH CALMNESS.

BINI TOO STUBBORN?
WHERE IN YOUR HISTORY DID THEY MENTIONED CALVARY WARRIORS?
WHERE IN BINI HISTORY DID SHE FIGHT REAL WAR?
WHY IS YOUR LANGUAGE GOING INTO EXTINCTION IF BINI WAS A POWERFUL KINGDOM ?
WHAT IS EVEN EDO POPULATION THAT YOU CLAIMED STUBBORNNESS TOWARD BRITISH ARMY ?
DID YOU NOT KNOW BRITISH EMPIRE WROTE OUT A TREATY FOR YORUBA TO SIGN AMONGST EKITIPARAPO AND IBADAN ARMY?

IF BINI WAS THAT STUBBORN, WHY DIDN'T HISTORY RECORD ITS MIGHT AGAINST EVEN EBIRA KINGDOM?

BINI was literally BEGGING OGEDENGBE AGBOGUNGBORO AND HIS CO WARRIOR , WHEN THEY WERE RAIDING PART OF EDO.
YOU NEED TO READ MORE TO BE WELL INFORMED WITH THE FACT.

GET IT TO YOUR HEAD, BRO.
ODUA DESCENDANT REPRESENT ALWAYS

Writing capital letter is like opening mouth "ah" "ah" and shouting in real life. Just in case you do not know literary etiquette. It does not emphasize what you want to say. It only appears rude.

Your opinion about Benin is irrelevant. Quoting some half-baked sources from Benin Empire Denial Centre (BEDC) is of no use. I have seen many like you here on NL over the years. They all come with Yemen, Jerusalem, Sudan, Egypt origin of Oduduwa story. When that began looking rather a foolish myth, then invented one mountain that he used chain to climb from as a messenger. Long after another ridiculous coming climbing from heaven story. Different stories, versions, all very watery & inconsistent. Why they want to make Oduduwa a "Tokunbo" by all means is beyond me. Mankind came from black Africa. But they want Oduwawa to be from Arabia. grin grin cheesy

While Alimi, his co-travellers and Yoruba traitor Afonja over-ran Oyo, Benin fought off Jihadists from Idah axis from invading Edo North.

Why fight Ebira? River Niger was a decent natural boundary and with vassals in Eastern Yoruba land, and Lagos, going by Edo population then, Benin had excessive "Lebensraum" already. For both trade & agriculture.

The problem Yoruba people have is that they think Yorubaland was always one large tribe as today. Many Yorubas in different parts could not even understand each other. My dad's Yoruba language derived from Owo dialects is very different from Ijebu or Egba one till today. Much less before the Intra-Yoruba civil wars. Not all Yoruba can understand as many Yoruba variants as he does.

Until the recent standardisation of language and cultural nationality, you were Awori, Egba, Oyo, Ibadan, Ijesha, Owo, Ekiti, etc. A point Emir Sanussi also made clear a few years ago. Since you claim that the Northern Muslims/Arabs are the credible authority on Yoruba history.

Rome began as a small farming settlement on the Tiber. But it later ruled the known world, starting by conquering the Italians/ Etruscans.

The Europeans detailed the military skills of Benin warriors in Yorubaland. They witnessed the wars there. They describe Benin tactics called "Ifianyanko" or encirclement. And they lambasted Ashanti warriors as slackers compared to Benin warriors. They had seen Ashanti warriors at war too. It was never size that mattered in war but planning, tactics/techniques, mobilizing resources, motivating men, recruiting mercenaries and impeccable leadership. The Oba led soldiers to war personally. Bronze Plaques of him & his generals returning triumphantly from wars abound of Oba Ewuare I The Great, Oba Ozolua n'Ibaromi (The conqueror), Oba Esigie, Oba Orhogbua, etc.

When the Gauls led by by the chieftain Vercingetorix nearly defeated Julius Caesar at Alesia (now Alise-Sainte-Reine, France) in September of 52 BC, Julius rode out to banish rumours of his death by letting his scarlet cape flow in the wind to save the day. That is leadership. Not quantity.

Still even if there were no written Western testimony, I heard enough consistent oral history from Benin people who were born around 1875. They all clearly remembered fire razing Benin in 1897 during war with Britain as young men/women. They were over 100 years old back in the 1980s. All very consistent with impeccable memories, from seen history and learnt oral history.

Pity we did not develop a popular writing early enough, hence the revisionist writers now won't have any chance.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olaskybab: 4:05pm On May 01, 2017
AreaFada2:

Writing capitalletter is like opening mouth "ah" "ah" and shouting in real life. Just in case you do not know literary etiquette. It does not emphasize what you want to say. It only appears rude.

Your opinion about Benin is irrelevant. Quoting some half-baked sources from Benin Empire Denial Centre (BEDC) is of no use. I have seen many like you here on NL over the years. They all come with Yemen, Jerusalem, Sudan, Egypt origin of Oduduwa story. When that began looking rather foolish myth, then invented one mountain that he used chain to climb from as a messenger. Long after another ridiculous coming climbing from heaven story. Different stories, versions, all very watery & inconsistent. Why they want to make Oduduwa a "Tokunbo" by all means is beyond me. Mankind came from black Africa. But they want Oduwawa to be from Arabia. grin grin cheesy

While Alimi, his co-travellers and Yoruba traitor Afonja over-ran Oyo, Benin fought off Jihadists from Idah axis from invading Edo North.

While fight Ebira? River Niger was a decent natural boundary and with vassals in Eastern Yoruba land, and Lagos, going by Edo population then, Benin had excessive "Lebensraum already. For both trade & agriculture.

The problem Yoruba people have is that they think Yorubaland was always one large tribe as today. Many Yorubas in different parts could not even understand each other. My dad's Yoruba language derived from Owo dialects is very different from Ijebu or Egba one till today. Much less before the Intra-Yoruba civil wars. Not all Yoruba can understand as many Yuruba variants as he does.

Until the recent standardisation of language and cultural nationality, you were Awori, Egba, Oyo, Ibadan, Ijesha, Owo, Ekiti, etc. A point Emir Sanussi also made clear a few years ago. Since you claim that the Northern Muslims/Arabs are the credible authority on Yoruba history.

Rome began as a small farming settlement on the Tiber. But it later ruled the known world, starting by conquering the Italians/ Etruscans.

The Europeans detailed the military skills of Benin warriors in Yorubaland. They witnessed the wars there. They describe Benin tactics called "Ifianyanko" or encirclement. And they lambasted Ashanti warriors as slackers compared to Benin warriors. They had seen Ashanti warriors at war too. It was never size that mattered in war but planning, tactics/techniques, mobilizing resources, motivating men, recruiting mercenaries and impeccable leadership. The Oba led soldiers to war personally. Bronze Plaques of him & his generals returning triumphantly from wars abound of Oba Ewuare I the Great, Oba Ozolua n'Ibaromi (The conqueror), Oba Esigie, Oba Orhogbua, etc.

When the Gauls led by Vercingetorix nearly defeated Julius Caesar at Alesia (now Alise-Sainte-Reine, France) in September of 52 BC, Julius rode out to banish rumours of his death by letting his scarlet cape flow in the wind to save the day. That is leadership. Not quantity.

Still even if there were no written Western testimony, I heard enough consistent oral history from Benin people who were born around 1875. They all clearly remembered fir razing Benin in 1897 during war with Britain as young men/women. They were over 100 years old back in the 1980s. All very consistent with impeccable memories, from seen history and learnt oral history.

Pity we did not develop a popular writing early enough, hence the revisionist writers now won't have any chance.

Lol...... What is ur point exactly?

3 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MayorofLagos(m): 6:17pm On May 01, 2017
AreaFada2:

Read the paper and disqualify its claims using your own historical factd, to include origin of the Ogisos and their chronological reigns.

Mere statement will not cut it

3 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 6:22pm On May 01, 2017
AreaFada2:

Writing capitalletter is like opening mouth "ah" "ah" and shouting in real life. Just in case you do not know literary etiquette. It does not emphasize what you want to say. It only appears rude.

Your opinion about Benin is irrelevant. Quoting some half-baked sources from Benin Empire Denial Centre (BEDC) is of no use. I have seen many like you here on NL over the years. They all come with Yemen, Jerusalem, Sudan, Egypt origin of Oduduwa story. When that began looking rather foolish myth, then invented one mountain that he used chain to climb from as a messenger. Long after another ridiculous coming climbing from heaven story. Different stories, versions, all very watery & inconsistent. Why they want to make Oduduwa a "Tokunbo" by all means is beyond me. Mankind came from black Africa. But they want Oduwawa to be from Arabia. grin grin cheesy

While fight Ebira? River Niger was a decent natural boundary and with vassals in Eastern Yoruba land, and Lagos, going by Edo population then, Benin had excessive "Lebensraum already. For both trade & agriculture.

The problem Yoruba people have is that they think Yorubaland was always one large tribe as today. Many Yorubas in different parts could not even understand each other. My dad's Yoruba language derived from Owo dialects is very different from Ijebu or Egba one till today. Much less before the Intra-Yoruba civil wars. Not all Yoruba can understand as many Yuruba variants as he does.

The Europeans detailed the military skills of Benin warriors in Yorubaland. They witnessed the wars there. They describe Benin tactics called "Ifianyanko" or encirclement. And they lambasted Ashanti warriors as slackers compared to Benin warriors. They had seen Ashanti warriors at war too. It was never size that mattered in war but planning, tactics/techniques, mobilizing resources, motivating men, recruiting mercenaries and impeccable leadership. The Oba led soldiers to war personally. Bronze Plaques of him & his generals returning triumphantly from wars abound of Oba Ewuare I the Great, Oba Ozolua n'Ibaromi (The conqueror), Oba Esigie, Oba Orhogbua, etc.

When the Gauls led by Vercingetorix nearly defeated Julius Caesar at Alesia (now Alise-Sainte-Reine, France) in September of 52 BC, Julius rode out to banish rumours of his death by letting his scarlet cape flow in the wind to save the day. That is leadership. Not quantity.

Still even if there were no written Western testimony, I heard enough consistent oral history from Benin people who were born around 1875. They all clearly remembered fir razing Benin in 1897 during war with Britain as young men/women. They were over 100 years old back in the 1980s. All very consistent with impeccable memories, from seen history and learnt oral history.
The story, you sent has nothing to do with Yoruba influence on BINI history. I would no go into Julio Cesar history today because, it irrelevant. I asked again because You people have always claimed supremacy, why didnt BINI have an edge and influence EBIRA? Yoruba has at least 60+% influence on Ebira, yet their Art is related to BINI and not Yoruba. Are you from Owo or Bini? Quite a funny man, you are. And which of the family are from in OWO?, I am doubtful of your history unless you clarify it because you can not claim to Owo and not know Yoruba history with your desire to unravel many part of the connection of Yoruba's Odu'a and one unknown and non existing Izoduwa . However, Let me inform you that, there is no iota of doubt that I will be more desirous in knowing the man called Olofin Adimula (Odu'a) history more than you because I am his DESCENDANT from the lineage of OONI LAJADOGUN whose ruling house today , are the only accepted ruling houses in ILE IFE. I am the son of OWALUUSI( called LUUSI by his family) who was the son of OONI LAFOGIDO. LAFIGODO was the son of LAJADOGUN . LUUSI's FIRST SON was ORIMOLAADE(called LAADE by his family) .The current OONI is from my own HOUSE. In the current Ruling houses at ILE IFE, LUUSI is connected to two out of the four ruling houses because he was mighty warrior like ORANMIYAN. I refer to this because you can imagine, over five hundred (500+) years,history I just informed you on. How can you now want to tell me who ODU'A was? I know who ODU'A was and where he came from. Let me inform you that it was a problem to truly pinned down Yoruba identity in the past because of no concrete evidence apart from oral and Bronze castings, Clothes weaving as well as beads making with which some were done in west Africa. But their Bronze castings were too developed to be from west Africa ideology. This is not because west Africa cannot develop such Artistic creativity but because it was a modern kind of castings method during the iron age. The Songhai of this world didn't have anything close to it. This and many more were the reason, the whites researchers kept researching on Yoruba identity. And BINI has no history without Yoruba . But thank God, the whole world is a global village and DNA has shown that Yoruba information about migration is true with YORUBA traces link to many part of the world even is Middle Eastern with four Jewish blood link; SAMARITAN, SEPHARDIC JEWISH TURKEY, JEWISH IRAQ,COCHIN JEWISH INDIA AND BNEI MENASHE JEWISH INDIA .There is also, traces of Yoruba link with people on Syria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Lebanon. In the middle East region, there are no mention of any other tribes apart from JEWISH LINK. Now, if some people claim Yoruba from Middle East, isn't correct? DNA has said all these. Even in sub Saharan Africa, there are DNA traces link with people. Someone like me, has gone far on the issue of this pseudo BINI link to Odu'a as from IGODOMIGODO . So, clear off your chest over identity of Oranmiyan Grandfather called Odu'a. Then, on your argument, on Yoruba not, hearing themselves, if you think it was true, what language did they use in transaction and communication among themselves? Is it because you have not been able to know Yoruba Language classification? Scholars who aren't Nigerians have defined which language is Yoruba Or Not. Better to infer dialectics of the same language or not according to language classification.
Let me inform you that international Language Assessment Conference (1992), only when a wordlist analysis shows a lexical similarity of below 70% are two speech forms considered to be different languages. An overlap of 70% and above indicates that both speech forms are the same language, although dialect intelligibility tests would need to be carried out to determine how well speakers of one dialect can understand the other speech form.
So, where did you get your information? When in fact, Owo, Ijebu, Ondo city, ilaje, Remo, Ijebu even some part of AKOKO Edo are classified as SOUTH EAST YORUBA Language. Be informed bro.
You have been claiming Igodo had a city before Yoruba invaded you people. Bring out the list of the so called Ogiso. And where did they come from before they settled in UDO? You seem to even forgot something, you called Africa as if Africa is a tribe. There are so many things that had happened and because People moved out of ancient times from Africa doesn't mean their mentality are the same. Take for instance, Bob Marley's mother was a Black woman, do you not know his father was IRISH WHITE? So, if story is written about many of his descendants history in the future, would it mentioned that BOB MARLEY'S PATRILINEAL LINEAGE as a Black man? Of course, not.
Lastly, on the reason, I cap some of my word is because, I am not in an examination. And we are just here expressing our opinions and giving out fact as it has been proven to the true in human history as it relates to YORUBA AND BINI. IGODO was nothing before Ogun's son ODÈDÈ ( Oranmiyan) emerged.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by aljharem(m): 9:21pm On May 01, 2017
MayorofLagos:

I agree alhaji. This is a myth buster!

How many people know Edos were conquered by invaders from Ife who installed a Chiefdom on them, and then followed it up with a monarchy, which then evolved into an Empire?

This is front page material definitely

That is a fact. There is no way on earth yorubas came from Benin
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by AreaFada2: 10:55pm On May 01, 2017
Olu317:
The story, you sent has nothing to do with Yoruba influence on BINI history. I would no go into Julio Cesar history today because, it irrelevant. I asked again because You people have always claimed supremacy, why didnt BINI have an edge and influence EBIRA? Yoruba has at least 60+% influence on Ebira, yet their Art is related to BINI and not Yoruba. Are you from Owo or Bini? Quite a funny man, you are. And which of the family are from in OWO?, I am doubtful of your history unless you clarify it because you can not claim to Owo and not know Yoruba history with your desire to unravel many part of the connection of Yoruba's Odu'a and one unknown and non existing Izoduwa . However, Let me inform you that, there is no iota of doubt that I will be more desirous in knowing the man called Olofin Adimula (Odu'a) history more than you because I am his DESCENDANT from the lineage of OONI LAJADOGUN whose ruling house today , are the only accepted ruling houses in ILE IFE. I am the son of OWALUUSI( called LUUSI by his family) who was the son of OONI LAFOGIDO. LAFIGODO was the son of LAJADOGUN . LUUSI's FIRST SON was ORIMOLAADE(called LAADE by his family) .The current OONI is from my own HOUSE. In the current Ruling houses at ILE IFE, LUUSI is connected to two out of the four ruling houses because he was mighty warrior like ORANMIYAN. I refer to this because you can imagine, over five hundred (500+) years,history I just informed you on. How can you now want to tell me who ODU'A was? I know who ODU'A was and where he came from. Let me inform you that it was a problem to truly pinned down Yoruba identity in the past because of no concrete evidence apart from oral and Bronze castings, Clothes weaving as well as beads making with which some were done in west Africa. But their Bronze castings were too developed to be from west Africa ideology. This is not because west Africa cannot develop such Artistic creativity but because it was a modern kind of castings method during the iron age. The Songhai of this world didn't have anything close to it. This and many more were the reason, the whites researchers kept researching on Yoruba identity. And BINI has no history without Yoruba . But thank God, the whole world is a global village and DNA has shown that Yoruba information about migration is true with YORUBA traces link to many part of the world even is Middle Eastern with four Jewish blood link; SAMARITAN, SEPHARDIC JEWISH TURKEY, JEWISH IRAQ,COCHIN JEWISH INDIA AND BNEI MENASHE JEWISH INDIA .There is also, traces of Yoruba link with people on Syria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Lebanon. In the middle East region, there are no mention of any other tribes apart from JEWISH LINK. Now, if some people claim Yoruba from Middle East, isn't correct? DNA has said all these. Even in sub Saharan Africa, there are DNA traces link with people. Someone like me, has gone far on the issue of this pseudo BINI link to Odu'a as from IGODOMIGODO . So, clear off your chest over identity of Oranmiyan Grandfather called Odu'a. Then, on your argument, on Yoruba not, hearing themselves, if you think it was true, what language did they use in transaction and communication among themselves? Is it because you have not been able to know Yoruba Language classification? Scholars who aren't Nigerians have defined which language is Yoruba Or Not. Better to infer dialectics of the same language or not according to language classification.
Let me inform you that international Language Assessment Conference (1992), only when a wordlist analysis shows a lexical similarity of below 70% are two speech forms considered to be different languages. An overlap of 70% and above indicates that both speech forms are the same language, although dialect intelligibility tests would need to be carried out to determine how well speakers of one dialect can understand the other speech form.
So, where did you get your information? When in fact, Owo, Ijebu, Ondo city, ilaje, Remo, Ijebu even some part of AKOKO Edo are classified as SOUTH EAST YORUBA Language. Be informed bro.
You have been claiming Igodo had a city before Yoruba invaded you people. Bring out the list of the so called Ogiso. And where did they come from before they settled in UDO? You seem to even forgot something, you called Africa as if Africa is a tribe. There are so many things that had happened and because People moved out of ancient times from Africa doesn't mean their mentality are the same. Take for instance, Bob Marley's mother was a Black woman, do you not know his father was IRISH WHITE? So, if story is written about many of his descendants history in the future, would it mentioned that BOB MARLEY'S PATRILINEAL LINEAGE as a Black man? Of course, not.
Lastly, on the reason, I cap some of my word is because, I am not in an examination. And we are just here expressing our opinions and giving out fact as it has been proven to the true in human history as it relates to YORUBA AND BINI. IGODO was nothing before Ogun's son ODÈDÈ ( Oranmiyan) emerged.

Lol. No Yoruba invaded an inch of Edo land.

Whereas Benin took large swathes of Yorubaland, especially Eastern Yorubaland. I know because I still have relatives there including a first class King. The boundary agreed between Benin Empire & Oyo was at Otun (today in Northern Ekiti). The treaty was between Aare Ona Kankanfo of Oyo & Iyase Ekpenede of Benin. Check your history. And Benin founded Lagos monarchy through Esipka/Asipa & Prince Ado of Benin. Benin practically lost Lagos when Oba Kosoko was deposed in 1854 (actual signing of Epe Treaty with the British). That history is well-known. A son of a late Oba of Lagos personally confirmed that history to me. Oba Adolo of Benin instructed Oba/Eleko Dosunmu to allow Kosoko return from Epe to Lagos in 1860. But with British naval guns supporting him & British controlling him, it was the first time an Eleko dared to refuse Benin's command & officially stop paying annual tribute to Benin.

Over the years here on NL many of your people have come up with mushroom papers that hold no water. Only to disappear. None of them has even dared to claim Yoruba invasion of Benin land. Your own new invention is like AY comedy. Very dry indeed. grin cheesy
Julius Caesar is relevant because it shows leadership & organisation is key, not size. And the Oba himself led army to war, like Caesar did.

When Omonoyan, son of Izoduwa returned to Benin, he never even set foot in Benin. Some powerful Benin chieftains led by Chief Ogiamien refused him access to Ogiso palace. It took his great grandson (4 generations later) Oba Ewedo to overcome the resistance & enter Benin City proper. The heat of politics was too much that Omonoyan (Oranmiyan) left Benin suburb that he stayed and returned to Yorubaland. A relative of mine remains the Duke of one of the ancient Villages near Omonoyan's palace. Though Benin suburb today, they were outside villages then.
The Oba took his Regnal title Ewuare, last year on the same grounds near my relative's palace, just like Omonoyan's son Eweka I first did in about 1170AD. The issue of invasion does not arise.

It is nothing new for a royal relative in another land to return as King. In 1714, George Elector of Hanover, Germany, became King George I of England, being the closest relative of Childless Queen Anne of England who was trusted to be non-catholic. The Royal family of today comes from that German King. Being German & not keen on staying in England, he Chose Robert Walpole to become The First Minister. That is how Prime Minister position began in England. No invasion.

The Danish-German prince that became King of Greece is the ancestor of Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth of England today. Many other examples, earlier & later abound. E.g. William, Duke of Normandy (France) waged war on England's King Harold to reclaim the crown of his relative King Edward The Confessor, only because the crown due him was usurped by King Harold. That was even in 1066.

You need to understand comparative history to free your mind from narrow tribalistic chest-beating.

Omonoyan was a returnee Ogiso descendant. Via Prince Ekaladerhan who took Izoduwa as regnal name in Ife.

I am not talking based just on books. But based on history that lives & breathes in Benin. Used daily in songs, proverbs, morning greeting "oriki", royal ceremonial re-enactments, traditional worship, etc. Each time I visit my relative's palace there, the whole history of Eweka dynasty is rekindled.

What did we need Ebira for? shocked shocked
Benin was an astute Empire builder. Ebira was not on a trade route we needed, so why needed them? Whereas Eastern Yorubaland was useful. And Lagos Lagoon was important too from the Atlantic on the other side as was part of Ijebu on land towards Lagos.

Benin had to manage human & material resources very efficiently for best results. We didn't have populations needing huge land for resettlement. We needed vassals paying tributes & facilitating security & trade while maintaining core Benin population in Benin area. To the point of prohibiting slave trading in Benin persons or by Benin persons & tribal tatoos & marks were made to identify Benin citizens.

Benin was one of the few nations worldwide with a standing army under Chief Ezomo, field commander of royal Army. A fact confirmed in the 1700s by A French slave trader who tried in vain to buy shiploads of slaves from the strong army of Benin from Ezomo. The same time Oyo thrived on slave trade.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Origin Of The Name Aboki? / Emir Sanusi Dethrones Sani Umar-Ganduje As Village Head / Question About The Yoruba Language:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 225
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.