Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua (26503 Views)

Anthony Joshua's Close Friends Die Of Coronavirus / Exposed:The Nigerian Boxing Official Who Rejected Anthony Joshua 10 Years Ago / Anthony Joshua Beats Wladimir Klitschko: WBA Heavyweight Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Baze1(m): 6:57am On May 01, 2017
Jeremiah Okorodudu, a former boxing champion, has revealed how boxing rave of the moment, Anthony Joshua, was rejected by Nigerian boxing officials nine years ago.
Joshua caught global attention and became a darling of boxing fans Saturday night after he humiliated Wladimir Klitschko, at the Wembley Stadium in England.
Speaking with UK Sun, Okorodud recalled that nine years back, Joshua’s efforts to represent Nigeria at the 2008 Olympic Games were futile as the Nigerian boxing officials turned him down.
He said, “Joshua was in Nigeria once to connect with his roots and I think that was in 2007.
“He wanted a chance to compete for trials ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics qualifiers, but he was denied and not given a chance.
“Disappointed, he went back to England to represent Great Britain.
“He went on to win a gold that could have been a first for Nigeria at the Olympics.
“If only they had allowed him to compete for Nigeria, that gold would have been a Nigerian gold and not Great Britain’s.”
Another Nigeria coach at the time, Adegboyega Adeniji-Adele also confirmed the fact that Joshua was at the Nigerian camp.
“Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua is his name and his family come from Ogun state in Nigeria,” he said.
“When he visited, his intention was to represent Nigeria at the Olympics but he was denied in the trials. He had no other option than to go to Britain.
“It’s Nigeria’s loss, Britain’s gain. Personally, I feel sad that they let him go and those people should be made to explain why it was impossible to give him a chance.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/nigerian-boxing-officials-rejected-anthony-joshua/

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Baze1(m): 6:58am On May 01, 2017
Pls MOD help move to the right section

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by EjimaQuintana: 7:03am On May 01, 2017
Baze1:
Pls MOD help move to the right section
you self nawa o....y u nor lemme b FTC ehh

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Baze1(m): 7:06am On May 01, 2017
EjimaQuintana:

You for tell me na. No worry. Next time

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by menxer: 7:10am On May 01, 2017
Medicine after death.

32 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Nobody: 7:11am On May 01, 2017
EjimaQuintana:
Dem dey use FTC collect money?
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Atiku2019: 7:13am On May 01, 2017
No One Knows Tomorrow cool

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by webincomeplus(m): 7:21am On May 01, 2017
I know we'll soon start hearing shitty stories like this. By next week, we should also see headlines on how Joshua once hawked akara to make a living.

As for the assertion that he could have won the gold medal for Nigeria if given the chance, I disagree. Nigeria is known for working hard against the success of her citizens. And the fact that he wasn't given the chance is enough proof.

Here in our crappy country, a senator's nephew who can't knock out a pillow will be chosen over real boxing talents. And even if a real boxer is given the chance, the NBF will fail to release funds for his welfare and training tours because the foolish pot-bellied people in charge have stolen the funds meant for that.

270 Likes 28 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by juman(m): 7:24am On May 01, 2017
nigeria is a dream killer country.
Thats one of the reasons why some people prefer to have their separate country.

Nothing works well in one nigeria.
Dreams of millions of people have been shattered by this destroyed country.

Also apc government has proven to be an imposter and fake.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by SalamRushdie: 7:25am On May 01, 2017
webincomeplus:
I know we'll soon start hearing shitty stories like this. By next week, we should also see headlines on how Joshua once hawked akara to make a living.

As for the assertion that he could have won the gold medal for Nigeria if given the chance, I disagree. Nigeria is known for working hard against the success of her citizens. And the fact that he wasn't given the chance is enough proof.

Here in our crappy country, a senator's nephew who can't knock out a pillow will be chosen over real boxing talents. And even if a real boxer is given the chance, the NBF will fail to release funds for his welfare and training tours because the foolish pot-bellied people in charge have stolen the funds meant for that.

true

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Basic123: 7:30am On May 01, 2017
If Nigeria is an human being,she will be a mad person.

42 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Blue3k(m): 7:49am On May 01, 2017
This is unbelievable that they rejected him. When you have talent come you chase them away to foreign lands to people that appreciate talent. I wonder who they snubbed him for?

Give this front Page.

5 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Baze1(m): 8:06am On May 01, 2017
Blue3k:

Give this front Page.
Mynd44 lalastical
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Nobody: 8:09am On May 01, 2017

It was Buhari's fault

He was rejected because he's not from the North

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by SexyNairalander: 8:09am On May 01, 2017
booked

In Nigeria connections speak better than all. . .its sad but a true story

eerrrm

10 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by martineverest(m): 8:09am On May 01, 2017
Before u start commenting foolishly, ask ursef: Nigeria is known for favoring foreign athletes to locals, Y was he rejected?

I watched the interview of Mr nwakpa on ESPN and he gave his reasons and he was right

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by abescom: 8:10am On May 01, 2017
Reminds me the story of David Alaba that was sent back from the Under 17 camp years ago because he doesn't have boots.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by robosky02(m): 8:10am On May 01, 2017
now he is a champ

6 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by martineverest(m): 8:10am On May 01, 2017
webincomeplus:

ESPN gave a different story...... It was Joshua's fault..... The reporter was amazed because Nigeria is widely known for favouring foreign athletes compared to locals

7 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by MrBONE2(m): 8:10am On May 01, 2017
grin

Let me try my Luck in Golf grin

But if am regetted,GREAT BRITAIN would be my next stop. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by martineverest(m): 8:10am On May 01, 2017
juman:
nigeria is a dream killer country.
Thats one of the reasons why some people prefer to have their separate country.

Nothing works well in one nigeria.
Dreams of millions of people have been shattered by this destroyed country.

Also apc government has proven to be an imposter and fake.
oga , the story I read on ESPN sports says Joshua came late to trials and after the trials have been concluded...... Who do u blame?

4 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by kayDooo(m): 8:11am On May 01, 2017
Omoluabi Omo ogun Omo WA ni

7 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by aribisala0(m): 8:11am On May 01, 2017
He was not good enough then. He improved since.Kini big deal.

Mike Tyson never got to the Olympics

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by ztanleechima(m): 8:12am On May 01, 2017
shitty stories. That guy was a bricklayer in the U.K before venchuring into boxing. I knew it this jazz will come up.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Tekecoms1(m): 8:12am On May 01, 2017
Awon OLORIBURUKU Naija Sporting Commission

6 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by coolshegs10(m): 8:12am On May 01, 2017
undecided una don dey mad...

Na today that kind attitude start? Crazy people, sit down there till the talented products of this country go elsewhere...

Joshua, ayam coming jàre.. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Goldenrichard(m): 8:13am On May 01, 2017
Assuming he's representing Nigeria he might not improve

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by ephi123(f): 8:13am On May 01, 2017
Not a surprise. Is it not this country filled with nepotism?

Still exactly the same situation today, if not worse.

6 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by ednut1(m): 8:14am On May 01, 2017
He would have been a nobody by now. Good he was rejected. Clowns

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Skyboyy(m): 8:14am On May 01, 2017
truly 9ja's loss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by emmancipated(m): 8:15am On May 01, 2017
Tribalism and nepotism may have caused it

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Play On Empty Stomachs, Borrow Money To Eat — Nigerian Footballers / Shehu Sani: PUMA Donated Olympic Kits To Nigeria But Officials Rejected Them / Messi Missed Penalty Because He Cancelled Israel Game – Israel Defense Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.