Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,680 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:18 PM

Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle (18081 Views)

Meet 10-year-old Sibahle Zwane Who Solves Maths Faster Than Calculator (photo) / ASUU Vows To Pursue Ongoing Strike To Logical Conclusion. / PHOTO: Best Student In Crop Production In EKSU Gets 2 Thousand Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by GodIsBiafran: 2:59pm On May 02, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Uggh! Not again. These people and their wahala tongue Assumptions are part of mathematics. Look it up. If an integer solution exists you will find it. If you don't find it then you will KNOW that an integer solution does not exist. This itself is KNOWLEDGE you did not have prior to the count test. In the absence of an integer solution, then a more general approach can then be used to solve the problem.

One word: EPIC!

This is a man who knows what he is talking about! lipsrsealed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by StarBukola(f): 3:00pm On May 02, 2017
naturalwaves:

Hahahaha. Very funny. Don't worry, will give you 90.
ohh for me?? I don't knw what to say
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by GodIsBiafran: 3:01pm On May 02, 2017
peacettw:

Kk then. He is very intelligent. Happy now?

Madam I find your research interesting - we should talk sometime. Are you Igbo? cheesy
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by yorex2011: 3:02pm On May 02, 2017
Lets learn some cleverness
If they are all chickens we'd have 56 legs
If they were all rabbits we'd have 112 legs
In between in 84, which means equal number of rabbits and chickens 84 legs.. 14 each, .. But that is 4 more legs than needed.. So we need to reduce the rabbits and add more chickens for each reduction in rabbits yoh have reduction of legs by two, so we just gats reduce the rabbits by two so we make up 80 and add up that two to the chickens

So 14, 14 = 84 legs (more legs means the rabbits need to be reduced)
16, 12 = 80

sometimes its just fun manipulating numbers..

The problem is that our educational system doesn't teach us to find out our own ways...

That is the beginning of creativity
. I remember how good i felt when i was in primary 6 and discovered that the squares of numbers followed a consecutive odd number sequence

Starting from 0 an continuos addition of odd numbers continue giving perfect squares... So this way you can find the perfect square of a number if you know the perfect square of another number close to it

1 plus 3 plus 5 plus 7 plus 9 plus 11 plus 13..keep having perfect squares 1, 4, 9, 16,25,36,49 etc

Tho later on in sec school i realized it was factorization, but that didn't stop me from feeling cool that this was something i found out myself years before it was taught officially

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by peacettw: 3:04pm On May 02, 2017
GodIsBiafran:

Madam I find your research interesting - we should talk sometime. Are you Igbo? cheesy

cheesy cheesy What do you think?
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by GodIsBiafran: 3:11pm On May 02, 2017
peacettw:

cheesy cheesy What do you think?

cheesy I think Igbo cheesy
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by peacettw: 3:13pm On May 02, 2017
GodIsBiafran:

cheesy I think Igbo cheesy

I think you might be correct. grin
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by massive102: 3:23pm On May 02, 2017
Turn Your Website Into a thriving Supermarket. Get A Premium E-commerce Website

If your business is not online in 2017, you would be swimming against the current.

With increasing need to tap from online opportunities, every businessman or woman is looking to have an online store where he or sell can sell their range of products and services.

According to PayPal, "Nigeria is the 3rd highest mobile shopper worldwide - only after China & India!"

That's massively huge because "Nigerian online shoppers have realized the world is their shopping mall and shop wherever and whenever using their mobile devices because they are generally sophisticated mobile users and this sophistication is aiding small businesses".

That is why your E-commerce Website development can’t afford to be handled by 'Web-Quacks’

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by GodIsBiafran: 3:25pm On May 02, 2017
peacettw:

I think you might be correct. grin
grin Lovely, Igbo women are doing great things all over the world - where are u based?
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by naturalwaves: 3:38pm On May 02, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Uggh! Not again. These people and their wahala tongue Assumptions are part of mathematics. Look it up. If an integer solution exists you will find it. If you don't find it then you will KNOW that an integer solution does not exist. This itself is KNOWLEDGE you did not have prior to the count test. In the absence of an integer solution, then a more general approach can then be used to solve the problem.
Why would you make an assumption when there is a legitimate way to go about it without assumption? What you did is not different from a child being asked to solve for X in 2+X=6 and then you start testing 1,2,3 etc to see which one will give 6. That is trial method and it is demeaning for someone of your calibre. Provide a suitable solution that is devoid of trial and error.
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by naturalwaves: 3:42pm On May 02, 2017
StarBukola:
ohh for me?? I don't knw what to say
Yeah, sure!
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 02, 2017
akinphysicist and naturalwaves,you guy 've got pure intellect.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by CACAWA(m): 3:49pm On May 02, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

So? If it fails then you employ another method. Ki ni big deal?

Then use iteration if basic/logical counting fails. Again ki ni big deal?

Keep your 'lecture' to yourself, I am fully aware of the connection between iteration and Fibonacci

Using a calculator to solve this particular problem is like using a machete(cutlass) to kill a housefly. Its shows rigidity. A lack of clear thought.

Once again iteration is an overkill for this problem. You needed a calculator - I didn't grin

Tell me something I don't know.

You can't do basic/logical counting and you think you can give me homework...I laugh in Chinese grin

FisifunKododada:

So Cacewa - the emboldened is a calculator approach of what Akin did. The difference is you had to use a calculator be he didn't. He found a solution within a minute. This is what I have been trying to convey to you, you take a formal approach to math, Akin is just naturally intelligent.

Remember i first showed you an algebraic solution.

In fact, the ITERATION did not need a calculator...Remember i once asked you to tell me the square root of 74 without a calculator which you guys are yet to reply.

The only reason I have e used a calculator for you is so that you can. Appreciate how much detail is needed if you insist on doing the "counting" method for very difficult question where the number 15 was replaced with 858.6

While you guys are still focused on the immediate problem, I'm showing you the mathematically accepted general approach to all other related but complex questions of this kind.
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by CACAWA(m): 3:53pm On May 02, 2017
inschool:

I didn't show my self...but u need to improve on ur approach to engaging argument/discussions with people...
exactly.

That's what made me challenge him..
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by Horllamideh(m): 4:07pm On May 02, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

PM yungmill moti so fun pe ko bu e ni 4k
for real?? Ngbo yungmillionaire, a nilo attention yin nibi bayi
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by DanseMacabre(m): 4:10pm On May 02, 2017
peacettw:

why on earth as a nation do we have a ghost president. Goodluck finding the answer to that in Google.

I saw what you did there. Nice pun.
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by Bnladan(m): 4:12pm On May 02, 2017
There are 15 chickens and 12 rabbits. No of legs of chicken is 15x2=30, No. of legs of rabbits is 12x4=48, No. of legs of the farmer is 2. Total No. Is 48+30+2=80. No. of heads of chickens is 15, that of rabbits is 12 and a head for the farmer making it 28. I guess I'm correct
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by naturalwaves: 4:19pm On May 02, 2017
skillful01:
Thank you bro. Since Akinphysicist has decided to dance in circles and not provide a suitable solution to the question nor provide an alternative method that is more acceptable, let me solve it through a way that is devoid of wuruwuru and trial by error like he did for the benefits of secondary school students and others viewing the thread. See solution attached below.
cc:cacawa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by AkinPhysicist: 4:36pm On May 02, 2017
naturalwaves:

Why would you make an assumption when there is a legitimate way to go about it without assumption?
Because its a fun out of the box kind of way of doing it

naturalwaves:

What you did is not different from a child
Good. Children can teach you are lot about imagination and creativity. Be a child once in a while and you will see things differently.
naturalwaves:

being asked to solve for X in 2+X=6 and then you start testing 1,2,3 etc to see which one will give 6.

So? - as long as the child knows the answer has to be positive definite so he starts from zero instead of negative infinity. This child has learn far more mathematics than the people subtracting 2 from both sides to see what happens. Whatever its worth the child probably knows the subtraction method too. tongue

naturalwaves:

That is trial method and it is demeaning for someone of your calibre.
It would be trial and error if I didn't know where to start and were to stop. See my post above about the creative child who knows where to start counting from. That is the key. There are quite a few advanced mathematics techniques that employ spanning a limited space to find element or elements that fulfill a particular restraint. This is what I did here. If you are wise you will learn. tongue

naturalwaves:

Provide a suitable solution that is devoid of trial and error.

If you truly believe I cannot solve this problem in the normal (school textbook way) then why are you engaging me in this conversation? cheesy
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by AkinPhysicist: 4:39pm On May 02, 2017
Horllamideh:

Shekiri ni yungmill ko gbo yooba dada - PM eh.
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by AkinPhysicist: 4:41pm On May 02, 2017
naturalwaves:

Thank you bro. Since Akinphysicist has decided to dance in circles and not provide a suitable solution to the question nor provide an alternative method that is more acceptable, let me solve it through a way that is devoid of wuruwuru and trial by error like he did for the benefits of secondary school students and others viewing the thread. See solution attached below.

Clap 4 yourself. Using my 'wuru wuru' method: No pen and paper needed. And it took me less than a minute. Try it. Its good for your brain.
tongue

By the way - we already hashed this out yesterday. Keep up. See this:

AkinPhysicist:
Okay put 49 for X and see what happens. I solved this problem the moment you posted it. But like my colleagues above said, its too boring. You need to be more creative bruh. Here is my Homework for you:

post a solution that DOES NOT involve taking squares of but sides. Shikena.
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by GodIsBiafran: 4:45pm On May 02, 2017
skillful01:

akinphysicist - yes but am not sure of the naturalwaves guy. He has not been fully vetted yet. Right now he is just making noise up and down.
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by GodIsBiafran: 4:47pm On May 02, 2017
naturalwaves:

Another boring rigid predictable textbook solution. Show some creativity. Illuminate our minds. You people are missing the whole put of undiluted pure intellect.
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by YungMillionaire: 4:55pm On May 02, 2017
Horllamideh:

just pm me - I understand Yoruba small but I can't write it to save my own life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by naturalwaves: 4:57pm On May 02, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Because its a fun out of the box kind of way of doing it

Good. Children can teach you are lot about imagination and creativity. Be a child once in a while and you will see things differently.

So? - as long as the child knows the answer has to be positive definite so he starts from zero instead of negative infinity. This child has learn far more mathematics than the people subtracting 2 from both sides to see what happens. Whatever its worth the child probably knows the subtraction method too. tongue

It would be trial and error if I didn't know where to start and were to stop. See my post above about the creative child who knows where to start counting from. That is the key. There are quite a few advanced mathematics techniques that employ spanning a limited space to find element or elements that fulfill a particular restraint. This is what I did here. If you are wise you will learn. tongue

If you truly believe I cannot solve this problem in the normal (school textbook way) then why are you engaging me in this conversation? cheesy

You are very funny. You just have a way of evading things even though you know what I was talking about. Your evasive techniques shows how intelligent you are. Moreover, why would I think that you won't be able to solve the question? Like I said, it is for the benefit of others watching as well. No hard feelings and stop dribbling up and down joor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by YungMillionaire: 4:58pm On May 02, 2017
Even though this beautiful thread has been hijacked by rigid text-book oriented 'mathematicians' I am at least glad that people are using their brain to think and share insightful ideas on Nairaland. Shout out to all the people who are making this thread lively. Akin of course. Cacawa; naturewaves; GodisBiafran; et. al. We might not agree on everything but at least we are thinking.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by naturalwaves: 5:00pm On May 02, 2017
GodIsBiafran:

akinphysicist - yes but am not sure of the naturalwaves guy. He has not been fully vetted yet. Right now he is just making noise up and down.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. You guys are so hilarious. It is not a competition now and I have nothing to prove to you. I come here anytime I can. I contribute my own quota if I can and learn from people as well. You guys should learn how to make good intelligent convos online. Again, my dear, I have nothing to prove to you o.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by naturalwaves: 5:06pm On May 02, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Clap 4 yourself. Using my 'wuru wuru' method: No pen and paper needed. And it took me less than a minute. Try it. Its good for your brain.
tongue

By the way - we already hashed this out yesterday. Keep up. See this:

The ideal thing is to first of all use the wuru wuru method now before setting out to solve so that one will have an idea of what the answer should look like. It is a smart way of reasoning. However, you are failing to get my points. Sometimes, the answer set may span a larger loop and because of that we need to set out standard ways of resolving such questions for the sake of other people watching( same thing cacawa was trying to communicate to you). You be chairman now. Who would doubt your ability of being able to solve such question.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by yorex2011: 5:14pm On May 02, 2017
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by naturalwaves: 5:19pm On May 02, 2017
yorex2011:
grin
Weldone bro. I guess this is the kind of intelligence akinaphysicist, Godisbiafran and yungmillionaire meant smiley
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by dingbang(m): 5:20pm On May 02, 2017
yorex2011:
grin
just look at u.. See when u are coming.. I mentioned ur moniker since and even sent a message on ur bbm.. Sha are ur numbers going?
Re: Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle by yorex2011: 5:23pm On May 02, 2017
dingbang:
just look at u.. See when u are coming.. I mentioned ur moniker since and even sent a message on ur bbm.. Sha are ur numbers going?
Don't mind me jor.. Been in the occupied with some real awesome stuff lately grin
My BBM wey don nearly cast lol... I go msg you now sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Kaduna State Sacks 4,562 Newly Recruited Teachers / Taraba Secondary School Students Expelled For Protesting Over Lack Of Amenities / University Of Abuja School Library On Fire (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.