Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,014 members, 7,803,370 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? (29137 Views)

How Do Broke Guys Manage To Woo Ladies? / Yahoo Plus, Handkerchief, Ritual Sex: Many Nigerian Female Students Walking Dead / 10 Statements Sex Starved Guys Normally Use To Woo Ladies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 9:47pm On May 01, 2017
I was on my own "jejely" trying to buy kebab, popularly known as "suya" in Nigeria, and thinking of how best to spice my dinner, when one young man just breezed in from nowhere and with a peculiar accent, uttered "Why does you let my heart broke like this" grin grin. I turned to the person that shot me at the back with missiles of words and found him well dressed and obviously talking to his girlfriend or "toastee". He also stopped by for kebab.

I thought I had heard it all but he shot another missile by saying "Sweet-sweet, talked to me naa. What has I done wrong?"

I couldn't get angry, neither could I laugh. In fact, I reflected deeply on the situation and tried to absolve him from blame. I placed the blame on his teachers (assuming he is educated), as well as the bad educational standards in Nigeria.

Later on, I started thinking and came to the realisation that almost all Nigerian men, whether educated or not, woo girls in "Queens English". It is rare to see a Nigerian man woo a lady in Pidgin or in any of the local languages. This is true, at least, in my experience and based on what I have observed so far. Although I must acknowledge that there are a few exceptions. So my question then is this: what is actually wrong in wooing a lady in the language you are most comfortable with, especially those who speak English only as a second language?

I couldn't come up with a clear answer because even in cities, towns and villages where everyone speaks the same language, you observe this trend as well. So there is no justification on the grounds of communication. What then could be the reason behind this recourse to English when wooing ladies? Is it just a standard? If it is, who started it? Why do those who are not competent in the English language try to force themselves to speak it when wooing ladies? Even ladies that are not competent in English force themselves to speak it, just to appear modern and acceptable. What happened to our native Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Urhobo/Isoko, Pidgin, Efik, etc, when communicating with those of the opposite gender that we develop romantic proclivities for?

I need some responses to further enlighten me on this issue. Let us all discuss.

Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44, Dominique, Oam4j, Obinoscopy, Efewestern, Sanchez01, Ishilove, Fynestboi, Bigfrancis21, Afam4eva, HopeatHand, Refiner, LadyF, Evestar200, Smellinganus, et al: what are your thoughts?

6 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Afam4eva(m): 9:50pm On May 01, 2017
The reason is poverty of the mind.

In a country where people rate you based on how good your english is, why won't people struggle to woo hungry and judgmental ladies in Ogbanje English. Even in some very tick homogenous villages, men still force themselves to speak English. They really have no choice because it is suicide if you attempt to toast a girl in a ny language other than English. Even the English sef no dey sell market again because it has been toppled by money but atleast, English will keep you in the race until you can prove that your bank account is fat.

From my oqn personal experience, whenever i approach a lady of Igbo heritage and knowing that we're from Igboland, i tend to cheap in one or two Igbo nuances once ina while but i always notice that their demeanour changes whenever i do that. The question i can assume they're asking themselves is "I'm i sure this guy is not a villager". Since i noticed this, it's English all the way.

89 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by oatzeal(m): 9:50pm On May 01, 2017
Hahaha.. So hilarious
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 9:51pm On May 01, 2017
Afam4eva:

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin Lol.

This poverty must be very strong, for it to affect almost everyone.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by xynerise: 9:57pm On May 01, 2017
And he could be better than the lady he is trying to impress with English language grin

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Nobody: 10:05pm On May 01, 2017
Most do so 'cause they want to impress. That's the only explanation behind that rationale.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 10:07pm On May 01, 2017
xynerise:
And he could be better than the lady he is trying to impress with English language grin

Very correct! Some of these girls forming shy girls are not really shy. When they switch to their native language with their family and friends, that is when you will see their true colours.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by henrylowe(m): 10:11pm On May 01, 2017
I have also been wondering oooo
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 10:12pm On May 01, 2017
kimbra:
Most do so 'cause they want to impress. That's the only explanation behind that rationale.

But it is also true that many ladies find men who cannot woo them using English unattractive. If a man comes up to you and starts rapping your native language to woo you, would you even look at him twice?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 10:13pm On May 01, 2017
I don't always use English to woo girls, sometimes, I use sign language

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Archangels2(m): 10:17pm On May 01, 2017
Wetin we go do nah... But I think its all about how yu see urself and ur relationship with the girl... I for one am fluent in "English" but I find it relaxing when I throw in some pidgin English along d way.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 01, 2017
fratermathy:

But it is also true that many ladies find men who cannot woo them using English unattractive. If a man comes up to you and starts rapping your native language to woo you, would you even look at him twice?
Firstly, does he know my native language?, that would be applicable if we both reside in a homogenous community as indigenes.

Secondly, supposedly he knows where I'm from which is likely where he's from. Does he know if I understand my first language?. BTW, English is our official language so let those who could speak it do so, while those who still don't understand it communicate in what they're used to. No be by force but some people keep falling hands. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by dingbang(m): 10:20pm On May 01, 2017
Some girls deserve to be wooed in pidjin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by LethargiQue: 10:20pm On May 01, 2017

If we use pidgin.. She'll think we're broke and dumb

If we use native language, she'll think we're too local.

Even the English we dy manage, una want make we stop?

30 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by elaigwusimona(m): 10:22pm On May 01, 2017
As u sabi english well well, just try open ur own school make u teach people. na de guy english u go use buy make-ups, creams, clothes or money? de der de form oni-english na. who english epp

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 10:22pm On May 01, 2017
EnigmaticEnigma:
I don't always use English to woo girls, sometimes, I use sign language

grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

You are operating on another level entirely.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by refiner(f): 10:24pm On May 01, 2017
Lmao.... grin...
That was how one approached me and said...

Baby gal,your finest is entering my head,i cant fit think like a man always... lipsrsealed

I felt like crying tho...

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 10:25pm On May 01, 2017
kimbra:
Firstly, does he know my native language?, that would be applicable if we both reside in a homogenous community as indigenes.

Secondly, supposedly he knows where I'm from which is likely where he's from. Does he know if I understand my first language?. BTW, English is our official language so let those who could speak it do so, while those who still don't understand it communicate in what they're used to. No be by force but some people keep falling hands. grin

Lol. If you see the mockery some people make of themselves when they try to speak English in order to impress girls, you will just roll on the floor and pray for the earth to open.

Last last sha, na pidgin suppose win. A "toasting" session like this shouldn't be bad:

Guy: Babe how far na? See as you set like Oyibo winch.
Babe: Na so people dey tell me o.
Guy: Correct! Oya make me join tell you too for za oza room. Gimme your digits.
Babe: Oya take am. Sero-hate-sero....

41 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 10:27pm On May 01, 2017
fratermathy:

grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

You are operating on another level entirely.

Hehe, don't mind the OP
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 10:28pm On May 01, 2017
elaigwusimona:
As u sabi english well well, just try open ur own school make u teach people. na de guy english u go use buy make-ups, creams, clothes or money? de der de form oni-english na. who english epp

Chairman calm down. E be like say u nor even understand wetin I de talk sef.

Me and you de the same page. Make we de track babes in any lingua wey we fit yarn. Nor be English go solve world crises.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 10:29pm On May 01, 2017
LethargiQue:

If we use pidgin.. She'll think we're broke and dumb

If we use native language, she'll think we're too local.

Even the English we dy manage, una want make we stop?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Like EnigmaticEnigma talk, na sign language go win am last last

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Nobody: 10:30pm On May 01, 2017
fratermathy:

Lol. If you see the mockery some people make of themselves when they try to speak English in order to impress girls, you will just roll on the floor and pray for the earth to open.

Last last sha, na pidgin suppose win. A "toasting" session like this shouldn't be bad:

Guy: Babe how far na? See as you set like Oyibo winch.
Babe: Na so people dey tell me o.
Guy: Correct! Oya make me join tell you too for za oza room. Gimme your digits.
Babe: Oya take am. Sero-hate-sero....
Na now wey everybody dey form posh you want use pigin toast fine babe?. grin

The one I see often on here is when someone makes a thread and attach a video to it. They all tend to leave their "Ok" spoken English and start mixing both British and American accent just to impress viewers. That's so silly and funny at the same time. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by LethargiQue: 10:30pm On May 01, 2017
fratermathy:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Like EnigmaticEnigma talk, na sign language go win am last last
grin
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 10:31pm On May 01, 2017
refiner:
Lmao.... grin...
That was how one approached me and said...

Baby gal,your finest is entering my head,i cant fit think like a man always... lipsrsealed

I felt like crying tho...

RIP English!

LOL.

This is not the worst. English has been killed 10 times over. Pidgin would do just fine. Nor be by force to form posh.

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Partnerbiz(f): 10:31pm On May 01, 2017
I toast in igbo and come in english

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 10:35pm On May 01, 2017
kimbra:
Na now wey everybody dey form posh you want use pigin toast fine babe?. grin

The one I see often on here is when someone makes a thread and attach a video to it. They all tend to leave their "Ok" spoken English and starting mixing but British and American accent just to impress viewers. That's so silly and funny at the same time. grin

It is very common o. Once some people enter front of a camera, their brains start to shake. You'll see them using Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa accent to speak American/British English and end up sounding ridiculous and stup*d!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 10:36pm On May 01, 2017
Partnerbiz:
I toast in igbo and come in english

Oghene me biko oo!

Is my eye seeing what my mind is telling me now? Please come again.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Partnerbiz(f): 10:37pm On May 01, 2017
fratermathy:

Oghene me biko oo!

Is my eye seeing what my mind is telling me now? Please come again.
My second coming is in latin

See below shaa

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by elaigwusimona(m): 10:38pm On May 01, 2017
fratermathy:

Chairman calm down. E be like say u nor even understand wetin I de talk sef.

Me and you de the same page. Make we de track babes in any lingua wey we fit yarn. Nor be English go solve world crises.

abi ooo! abeg u fit help me with sugar make i use wage my conscience b4 i sleep with de little garri wey get?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 01, 2017
fratermathy:

It is very common o. Once some people enter front of a camera, their brains start to shake. You'll see them using Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa accent to speak American/British English and end up sounding ridiculous and stup*d!
Lol, very annoying thing. grin
I kind of understand those who're actually learning and end up falling hands, but don't understand these learned ones forming British/American accent.

Goodnight.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fratermathy(m): 10:40pm On May 01, 2017
Afam4eva:

In a country where people rate you based on how good your english is, why won't people struggle to woo hungry and judgmental ladies in Ogbanje English. Even in some very tick homogenous villages, men still force themselves to speak English. They really have no choice because it is suicide if you attempt to toast a girl in a ny language other than English. Even the English sef no dey sell market again because it has been toppled by money but atleast, English will keep you in the race until you can prove that your bank account is fat.

From my oqn personal experience, whenever i approach a lady of Igbo heritage and knowing that we're from Igboland, i tend to cheap in one or two Igbo nuances once ina while but i always notice that their demeanour changes whenever i do that. The question i can assume they're asking themselves is "I'm i sure this guy is not a villager". Since i noticed this, it's English all the way.

The bolded got me reeling with laughter.

Ladies also contribute to this. In fact, ladies are the main cause. If you start "toasting" them in native languages, you won't be looked at twice, except you have money (enough money) to make up for it.

I will try this experiment one day. Just chat up a random beautiful lady in my native language and see how it goes.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Ishilove: 11:15pm On May 01, 2017
fratermathy:
So my question then is this: what is actually wrong in wooing a lady in the language you are most comfortable with, especially those who speak English only as a second language?

I couldn't come up with a clear answer because even in cities, towns and villages where everyone speaks the same language, you observe this trend as well. So there is no justification on the grounds of communication. What then could be the reason behind this recourse to English when wooing ladies? Is it just a standard? If it is, who started it? Why do those who are not competent in the English language try to force themselves to speak it when wooing ladies? Even ladies that are not competent in English force themselves to speak it, just to appear modern and acceptable. What happened to our native Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Urhobo/Isoko, Pidgin, Efik, etc, when communicating with those of the opposite gender that we develop romantic proclivities for?
Colonial mentality/mental slavery is the cause. There's this deep rooted subconscious notion that English language (represented by the Caucasian) is the superior to our native language (Negro), and hence when one needs to take life changing decisions, it should be done in English language whether or not one is proficient in it. In that deeply primal part of the subconscious, English language represents class and sophistication while the native tongue is regression to the times when our forbears roamed the earth in their raffia skirts.

Proficiency in English language is important in formal communication, true, but in cases like the one which spurred you to create this thread, it should take the back seat because it limits the expression of your emotions.

In my experience, the admirers who got my attention quicker are the ones who wooed me in pidgin and their native tongue. I was transfixed because I found myself listening to every word because I wanted to understand them. cheesy

13 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ladies: Avoiding Broke Guys Means You Are Also Broke! / How Did You Find Out She/he Was Cheating On You ? / My Boyfriend Has Collected The Iphone He Bought For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.