Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,151 members, 7,807,503 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:21 PM

Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) (39854 Views)

Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. / Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. / Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 10:26pm On May 01, 2017
Guys please read carefully

WHY FATHERS ARE NEGLECTED IN OLD AGE.
-ITS A MUST READ FOR ALL FATHERS! (and mothers too!)

Take ur time and read through.

1. In the lifetime of most Nigerian family settings, there are 3 Dispensations of Power.

2. The 1st is the first 25 years in the life of the family (father, mother, children) where power indisputably rest with the father.

3. The 2nd is after the kids have grown & started working when the power shifts to the mother.

4. The 3rd is when the kids move out of the family house or start their own families when the power moves to the children.

6. We'll start from the 1st Dispensation. Total dominance of the father. He is the Lion of the Tribe of his House. The boss.

7. During this dispensation, the father rules with an iron fist. He barks orders & determines what does or does not happen.

8. The father often mettes out corporal punishment to the recalcitrant children. They grow to fear him more than they love him.

10. The father is the provider for the family & everyone is aware of that fact with all attendant consequences.

11. Then the 2nd Dispensation sets in. The children have finished school and have started working. Power shifts to the mother.

12. When the children start earning their own money, for some reason, it's their mothers they decide to look after. They are closer to her.

13. While the father was in charge, he was busy with the business of providing. He didn't have much time to be a friend to the children.

14. They spent more time with their mum and invariably grew closer to her. They also see their mum as co-victims of the father's tyranny.

15. The mother takes centre stage at this point. She is the first to know what's happening with the children & she has advantage.

16. Should any of the daughters give birth, she is the one that goes for babysitting and the children spoil her with gifts.

17. At this stage, the father is wishing for some bond with the children like they have with their mother but that boat has sailed.

18. Because the mother doesn't rely much on the father for her needs at this stage, she is less likely to tolerate his lordship. Friction.

19. Then the 3rd and last dispensation. Power has shifted to the children. They are self-sufficient, live on their own & have own families.

20. More often than not, whenever there is a quarrel between father & mother, the children side the mother.Years of joint-victimhood at play

21. Children have been known to come to the house to warn their father not to 'disturb' their mother. Next thing, extended visitations.

22. Woe betide the father if his finances are precarious at this stage. You will be humble by force. The gang-up is real.

23. This causes most men to fall ill & develop different complications. By the time the forces are arrayed against you, you will think well.

24. Stroke, Hypertension, High-Blood Pressure. The man has a large family but no relationship with them in later life. Troubling thought.

25. Moral, dear men, while the power lies with us, let us wield it with posterity in mind. It won't be with us forever.

26. With the way you are treating your wife now, how will she treat you when power shifts to her?

27. What relationship do you have with your family? Loving dad or despotic, tyrannical provider?

28. Remember, the children always side with their mother. Aim to do enough to at least get a fair hearing in future moments of family strife

30. Invest wisely for the future so that you won't have to beg to be taken care of if despite your best efforts, you find yourself alone.

ADVISE TO CHILDREN:- IT IS NOT GOOD TO ABANDON YOUR FATHER WHO DENIED HIMSELF TO GET YOU PREPARED FOR LIFE & WHO SACRIFICIALLY SOWED TO MAKE YOU WHO YOU ARE. HONOUR YOUR BOTH PARENTS AND TAKE GOOD CARE OF THEM IN THEIR OLD AGE. THAT IS HOW YOU TOO WILL SOW INTO YOUR FUTURE. DONT LET NEGLECTING YOUR FATHER (PARENTS ) BE A CURSE ON YOU INTO YOUR FUTURE.

ADVISE TO MOTHERS :- DON'T INCITE YOUR CHILDREN AGAINST THEIR FATHER.

*Parenthood is not easy despite its joys. There is no manual on how it works. May God help us

462 Likes 82 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by wasolad01: 11:22pm On May 01, 2017
Great article.
God bless you OP.

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by cardoso514: 11:32pm On May 01, 2017
This is real and great!

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by kachiz(m): 12:31am On May 02, 2017
Nice!!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 5:51am On May 02, 2017
I grew up in two different families.

I am experiencing this EXACT scenario.

Even to call my dads is a big issue.

God help me

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by wahles(m): 7:42am On May 02, 2017
Nice

4 Likes

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by dangotesmummy: 7:57am On May 02, 2017
You have painted the politics that goes of in the African families aptly and perfectly.

This was exactly what happened to my grandfather. Very tyrannical. So the mother's waited for their kids to grow up and defend her.the mother's usually rely on their kids for social security so they do all their best to ensure they're educated and well placed even if they were not.as soon as the kids are financially stable the mothers begin to incite the children against their father as a means of revenge. Some mothers even lie to their children about their father because of the years of resentment and pain.that's when you will hear baba yin lumi.then the children will ask what do you want, the mother will now begin to emotionally manipulate the children with if you don't build a house for me away from. Your father ,you will kill me.the next thing is all of them will begin to run around to build house for mama, get house help for her so that she will be doing as she likes

Of course some of the kids might support the father but in the minority however the disadvantage is that now the mother has painted the father black to the children, the children don't want to have anything to do with their father again and even keep the grandchildren away from their father.till my grandfather died I didn't know whoever my grandfather was.I never had one on one contact with them

Some of my aunties who were on my grandfather side still had his picture.it was when I went to her house that she pointed the picture of my grandfather to me on the wall.I even discovered that the long time hatred between my mom and her sister was because mom was on NY grandmother side while my aunty was on my grandfather side and the genesis of the hatred started when baba started marrying wives.

Bottom line is that this thing doesn't just end in one generation. I haven't even seen some of my cousins and even when they married mom didn't tell me so I won't go because of the same beef she has with their mother for supporting her father.so in their mind now they think I'm with my mom is the unnecessary battle even when Grandma and grandpa have died,the battle and hatred is still there

77 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 8:28am On May 02, 2017
Its easy pointing accusing fingers at the wives . but let's hear their own version as well.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 02, 2017
dangotesmummy:
You have painted the politics that goes of in the African families aptly and perfectly.

This was exactly what happened to my grandfather. Very tyrannical. So the mother's waited for their kids to grow up and defend her.the mother's usually rely on their kids for social security so they do all their best to ensure they're educated and well placed even if they were not.as soon as the kids are financially stable the mothers begin to incite the children against their father as a means of revenge. Some mothers even lie to their children about their father because of the years of resentment and pain.that's when you will hear baba yin lumi.then the children will ask what do you want, the mother will now begin to emotionally manipulate the children with if you don't build a house for me away from. Your father ,you will kill me.the next thing is all of them will begin to run around to build house for mama, get house help for her so that she will be doing as she likes

Of course some of the kids might support the father but in the minority however the disadvantage is that now the mother has painted the father black to the children, the children don't want to have anything to do with their father again and even keep the grandchildren away from their father.till my grandfather died I didn't know whoever my grandfather was.I never had one on one contact with them

Some of my aunties who were on my grandfather side still had his picture.it was when I went to her house that she pointed the picture of my grandfather to me on the wall.I even discovered that the long time hatred between my mom and her sister was because mom was on NY grandmother side while my aunty was on my grandfather side and the genesis of the hatred started when baba started marrying wives.

Bottom line is that this thing doesn't just end in one generation. I haven't even seen some of my cousins and even when they married mom didn't tell me so I won't go because of the same beef she has with their mother for supporting her father.so in their mind now they think I'm with my mom is the unnecessary battle even when Grandma and grandpa have died,the battle and hatred is still there

Serious one

10 Likes

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 02, 2017

114 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by eitsei(m): 8:55pm On May 02, 2017
The cycle will likely continue the children too will grow old and their own children will neglect them also, as long as the father was the one responsible for their upbringing (money wise) now they have their own money and forget the father who spent his on them
This is a good post nonetheless

43 Likes

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 10:02pm On May 02, 2017
Very interesting post, am going to see my pman this weekend unfailingly.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 03, 2017
wasolad01:
Great article.
God bless you OP.

Bless you too kiss

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by megareal: 9:48pm On May 03, 2017
True. But some children simply abandon their father because of separation and divorce. A man goes on to marry another woman while the children are being singlehandedly raised by their mums, hence the abandonement.

For the intact homes, dictatorship and lack of care are the culprits. Some married women singlehandedly cater for their kids while staying under a roof with the supposed head of the house.

96 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by KevinDein: 9:54pm On May 03, 2017
danidon08:
Op so on point! Even to speak with my dad is problem. Barking orders at everyone till date. angry

He once asked why everyone was to closer to mum than him,
Ans: Most childhood memories we have of you is koboko in your hands grin
You'd grow up and find out that fatherhood is a thankless job.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by KevinDein: 9:58pm On May 03, 2017
I've long accepted that fatherhood is a thankless job. I'm prepared for that. However, I'd still give my all to see that my offsprings turn out great.

They can save the emotional stuffs for the mom; I don't need that. I just want them to be the best scientists, sportmen etc. That's enough for me.

154 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by yvesboss(m): 11:27pm On May 03, 2017
WOW

1 Like

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by nghozie(f): 11:36am On May 04, 2017
Nice piece

2 Likes

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Viking007(m): 12:04pm On May 04, 2017
Perfectly written.

2 Likes

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by kayzat: 12:24pm On May 04, 2017
And this is why most men are turning out irresponsible when it comes to providing for their families needs.

Fatherhood is truly a thankless job but I will personally try my best to be the best father to my kids sha.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Afonjanightmare(m): 1:08pm On May 04, 2017
Mehn, the pillar of any home is the father, only stupid children would hate their DAD, my DAD trained us well, he had and still has an iron fist, barks orders, yells at everyone at home including the tables and chairs, do we love him?? Yes.

109 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 04, 2017
Lols. Only (prospective) tyrannical dads have this paranoia...
I am closer to my dad_ at the rate my husband is going, I won't be surprised if our kid(s) are closer to him. If I tell them to go buy me something, from there they'll reach Crunchies fast-food and start sending me selfies. I won't see them, nor what I requested _for an hour+.

On this same NL, we have seen lots of men say their own is to provide money. I have seen one say he can never bathe or feed his kids, forgetting that's the best time to bond with them.

Some Nigerian men would never take their wives for antenatal.
They don't know how to bathe a child or wear a diaper.
When mummy isn't around, the whole house will be in disarray.

You think kids are blind? grin
The earlier y'all get it into your heads that fatherhood is beyond paying school fees, the better. Mummy works too, manages the home and still bonds with the kids. You don't have an excuse.

I have never seen kids neglect a good dad, except they're bewitched or plain stupid. Proud Daddy's Girl smiley

Let me also add,that the way the average Nigerian husband treats his wife is the cause of MIL wahala. They have no time for their wives, complaining she is fat, this and that, but all the children see is ever-loving mummy. People then advice her "FOCUS ON YOUR KIDS" and she starts focusing. When the kids grow, she forgets it's time to let go _they're all she has. The kids on their part can't forget all mummy did, and that's how we get the possessive MIL grin.

Look around you, you'll rarely see MILs with loving husbands going to disturb anybody. They can't even leave their husband to come do omugwo for 3mths. cheesy

156 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by vpaymoney(m): 2:50pm On May 04, 2017
Thank God for my own parents. They are good together and always told to be together no matter what. And they are very much OK financially

12 Likes

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 2:55pm On May 04, 2017
PaperLace:
I am closer to my dad_ at the rate my husband is going, I won't be surprised if our kid(s) are closer to him. If I tell them to go buy me something, from there they'll reach Crunchies fast-food and start sending me selfies. I won't see them, nor what I requested _for an hour+.

On this same NL, we have seen lots of men say their own is to provide money. I have seen one say he can never bathe or feed his kids, forgetting that's the best time to bond with them.

The earlier y'all get it into your heads that fatherhood is beyond paying school fees, the better. Mummy works too, manages the home and still bonds with the kids. You don't have an excuse.

I have never seen kids hate a good dad, except they're bewitched or plain stupid. Proud Daddy's Girl smiley

Sharrap! angry

9 Likes

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 2:56pm On May 04, 2017
LastMumu:

Sharrap! angry
Lolsss...one prospective tyrannical dad spotted. grin

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 04, 2017
Op you are sooooo right! Number 8 and 13 is enough for those with a functioning brain.

The mistake most dads make is they think respect is sth. to be enforced on the kids, which results in forming boss, bringing up rules that don't make sense and barking around like dogs.
The truth is they will "respect" you because they are SCARED of you. They will do those things you want them to, also because they are scared of your actions BUT what happens if they dont have a reason to be scared of anymore? You don't earn respect by instilling fear in people, that's just pathetic.

Also most of them think they don't have to be close to their kids because of this and that. It could be because they think it's the mother's job or whatever. All they have to do is bring money to the table. How naive! Building no emotional connection to YOUR own kids. Jeez which kind of life are you living?

Well like op said when you retire and then seek for emotional bonding etc because you feel lonely, there is higher chance that you are not getting it.

Oh and it's also sad that most Nigerian men are brought up thinking showing feelings whatsoever makes them look weak

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 04, 2017
lovelygurl:
G
what that letter stands for?

2 Likes

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 04, 2017
PaperLace:
Lols. Only (prospective)

I have never seen kids neglect a good dad, except they're bewitched or plain stupid. Proud Daddy's Girl smiley

Looooool me too! I'm daddy's baby girl grin

9 Likes

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 04, 2017
PaperLace:

I have never seen kids neglect a good dad, except they're bewitched or plain stupid.
Proud Daddy's Girl smiley

well said @ bolded.

I hope this generation of fathers learn from their dad mistakes.
let me keep hoping, cos if I judge by what I read on NL, these men have learnt nothing. As you have observed yourself @paperlace.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 04, 2017
Instilling fear is the only way most Nigeria fathers know how to discipline kids. sadly, unfortunate.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by abdulahi001: 6:16pm On May 04, 2017
Superb

1 Like

Re: Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) by Nobody: 6:52am On May 05, 2017
No matter how strict my dad is, I still love him and will not neglect him when he gets old.

19 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Reconciled With Her Husband On His Sick Bed The Same Day He Died / A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding / Family Abandons Father’s Corpse In Mortuary For 15 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.