Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently (1217 Views)

The Fuel Consumption In My Honda Accord 2006, 4 Plugs Is Alarming / My Honda Accord Evil Spirit V6 Started Smoking After Topping The Engine Oil / After Engine Washing, My Honda Baby Boy Is Not The Same Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by ping2ping: 11:58am On May 02, 2017
Hello Honda gurus in the house, i need your urgent help. I have a honda accord 1996 (a.k.a Honda Bulldog). I'm having issues with the car. First is that the idle run is very high, 1500 - 2000RPM. I took it to the mechanic, they services the throttle body and IACV and FITV but the problem continued. Another mechanic now used foam to block the two port holes inside the throttle body and the problem of high idle run stopped. It runs now at about 800-1000RPM. Another issue started, the car just stalls intermittently mostly when you want to move the car, like if you start it starts normally, idles normally, but once you engage the gear to drive and press the throttle pedal, the car will stall with the dashboard lights on. If you start it right after it starts normally. This happens randomly that i cannot predict when it will happen. If somehow i manage to make it not to stall when it want to by quickly depressing the gas pedal hard it will move but at any point, i brake that the car will come to a stop, if i want to move again as in press the gas pedal the engine will go off. As a result at times the car goes off on the road.

I have gone to several mechanics and car electricians yet the issue has persisted. Sometimes if i go to the mechanic the problem will not occur and i will not be able to simulate it.

In the process of trying to resolve the problem, i have replaced the following: fuel pump, distributor, fuel pump relay, plugs, throttle body.

I will appreciate any help to resolve this problem.
Re: Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by menstrualpad: 2:00pm On May 02, 2017
Change your iacv.
But why block the idle control passages​.
Cc Gazzuzz
Re: Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:30pm On May 02, 2017
ping2ping:
Hello Honda gurus in the house, i need your urgent help. I have a honda accord 1996 (a.k.a Honda Bulldog). I'm having issues with the car. First is that the idle run is very high, 1500 - 2000RPM. I took it to the mechanic, they services the throttle body and IACV and FITV but the problem continued. Another mechanic now used foam to block the two port holes inside the throttle body and the problem of high idle run stopped. It runs now at about 800-1000RPM. Another issue started, the car just stalls intermittently mostly when you want to move the car, like if you start it starts normally, idles normally, but once you engage the gear to drive and press the throttle pedal, the car will stall with the dashboard lights on. If you start it right after it starts normally. This happens randomly that i cannot predict when it will happen. If somehow i manage to make it not to stall when it want to by quickly depressing the gas pedal hard it will move but at any point, i brake that the car will come to a stop, if i want to move again as in press the gas pedal the engine will go off. As a result at times the car goes off on the road.

I have gone to several mechanics and car electricians yet the issue has persisted. Sometimes if i go to the mechanic the problem will not occur and i will not be able to simulate it.

In the process of trying to resolve the problem, i have replaced the following: fuel pump, distributor, fuel pump relay, plugs, throttle body.

I will appreciate any help to resolve this problem.

Replace entire intake, with a clean toks with all its components intact
Re: Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by Demrich(m): 7:07pm On May 02, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Replace entire intake, with a clean toks with all its components intact
sir what do you mean by 'entire intake' cos mine is always bt 1500rpm to 2000rpm when i start in the morning bt wl go bt 700-1000rpm when i engage the gear. The problem started when mech spray throttle body wt injector. cleaner.
Re: Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by ping2ping: 1:00pm On May 03, 2017
Demrich:
sir what do you mean by 'entire intake' cos mine is always bt 1500rpm to 2000rpm when i start in the morning bt wl go bt 700-1000rpm when i engage the gear. The problem started when mech spray throttle body wt injector. cleaner.

Please i would ask same question, what exactly is "entire intake"? I have changed the throttle body though did not replace FITV and IACV. Thanks for your help
Re: Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 03, 2017
This seems like a vacuum leak problem. Does this stalling get worse when the engine is hot?
Re: Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by ping2ping: 2:22pm On May 06, 2017
Mementoes:
This seems like a vacuum leak problem. Does this stalling get worse when the engine is hot?

I have checked there is no vacuum leak anywhere. I am suspecting the IACV because of high idling after reading up a couple of things about its operation. But I wouldn't know if it could also cause the intermittent stalling. I had changed the complete throttle body together with d sensors on it but all to no avail.

I have spent so much with mechanics trying to figure out what the problem could be. I will appreciate help on this forum please
Re: Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 06, 2017
If there's no vacuum leak, then you should replace the IACV. Yes, it can cause intermittent stalling. Anytime your foot is not on the gas pedal, the IACV is in operation.
Hope your engine timing has never been messed with?
Re: Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by ping2ping: 10:24pm On May 06, 2017
Mementoes:
If there's no vacuum leak, then you should replace the IACV. Yes, it can cause intermittent stalling. Anytime your foot is not on the gas pedal, the IACV is in operation.
Hope your engine timing has never been messed with?

Thanks. I will replace the IACV and report back. I don't know if I have issues with timing. D car drives well oda than the issues I mentioned. Infact I travelled more than 400km with the car.

I also noticed something though wouldn't know if it has implication, as I was driving at night, d dashboard lights flickers intermittently especially that background light on d dashboard n d headlamp seem to b brighter as d engine rev up.

Thanks so much @Mementoes

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by Nobody: 10:50pm On May 06, 2017
ping2ping:

Thanks. I will replace the IACV and report back. I don't know if I have issues with timing. D car drives well oda than the issues I mentioned. Infact I travelled more than 400km with the car.

I also noticed something though wouldn't know if it has implication, as I was driving at night, d dashboard lights flickers intermittently especially that background light on d dashboard n d headlamp seem to b brighter as d engine rev up.

Thanks so much @Mementoes
Ok.

You are welcome.

If your battery and alternator are okay, then there is poor connection somewhere.

You should try to tighten all ground/chassis connections from your battery. You should also inspect wirings in the hood and dash and repair any visible loose joints.

I don't think this is related to the idle speed issue but you never can tell.
Re: Help!!! My Honda Accord 1996 Stalls Intermittently by ping2ping: 1:19pm On May 16, 2017
The problem has been solved. The intermittent stalling was as a result of loose negative terminal of the battery attached to the body of the car. I removed it, changed the screw because of rust, clean the body and screwed it back and i cannot believe my eyes the problem disappeared.

On the idling problem, it was narrowed down to IACV. I'm yet to replace it but it does not idle so high again because the hole for the IACV had been partially closed to reduce the amount of air sucked into the manifold. However at cold start the RPM use to be very low but once the engine warms up it stabilizes at about 900 RPM. I will still have to change the IACV but still using the car like that.

Thanks everyone for your input.

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes-Benz X-Class Re-Brands, Changes Look / How Much And Where Is This Part / Pam Drive E-hauling For Drivers And Partners In Portharcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.