Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,439 members, 7,781,286 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:48 AM

Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems - Poems For Review (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems (11699 Views)

Short poems on love lost and love found / Unpoetic Poems / How Poems Rise Into Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by ebby9z(m): 8:46pm On May 02, 2017
MDCCCXXXII:
Please do and see for yourself.
Will do, sir
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by MDCCCXXXII: 8:46pm On May 02, 2017
ebby9z:

Will do, sir
You're welcome.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by MeinKampf: 8:50pm On May 02, 2017
siie:
washerey.. Omo aye cool
Alora spotted
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by DanseMacabre(m): 8:52pm On May 02, 2017
Wow! Phew! This is my first time of hearing about/reading the guy, but this is poetry at its finest. The first poem about being gay is like a mathematical equation or a performance by an orchestra that slowly builds up to a deafening crescendo; everything adding up to the final solution.

1 Like

Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by gloryman91: 8:54pm On May 02, 2017
Well done boy , congratulations. I knew you are reaching to the stars.. Keep it up and continue praying to Allah.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by DanseMacabre(m): 8:58pm On May 02, 2017
MDCCCXXXII:
Free verse! Always free verse! If Nairaland mods and seun aren't bias, they would have seen pure talent in Nairaland's Poem for Review section.

Any poet who fail to evolve and always write in free verse is just a poet, nothing, nothing less!

Evolve into what exactly? Shakespearean verse? Metres and Iambic pentametres? Rhymes? That's prescriptive poetry bro, and it's exactly what modern poetry evolved from.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 02, 2017
undecided
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by Zivaharry(m): 9:58pm On May 02, 2017
Dexter93:
The poem is too long. Biko who has strength to read all this? Read and come and explain to me wink
over sabi de worry d guy..........u can only finish it....if u love poems......I love poems
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by llaykorn: 10:37pm On May 02, 2017
JoeBlocks:
grin

Joe, what do you think?
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by llaykorn: 10:42pm On May 02, 2017
DanseMacabre:

Evolve into what exactly? Shakespearean verse? Metres and Iambic pentametres? Rhymes? That's prescriptive poetry bro, and it's exactly what modern poetry evolved from.

Thank you, DM! Many of these people don't believe that poetry has evolved into something bigger than the literature they were forced to read in secondary school. Romeo just won the Brunel Poetry Prize. There were more than a thousand entries, and I'm sure there were a lot of uninformed people who thought they could get anywhere with how perfect the syllable-count of their sonnets were. I know quite a number of the short listed poets and some of them don't even write in stanzas. Lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by llaykorn: 10:48pm On May 02, 2017
LaRochelle:
I sent the link of this thread to one of my friends, a poem writer, performer and lover. She was now thanking me as if I gave her the winning numbers for lottery.

PS: I didn't read it. I'm yet to appreciate the deepness of poems.

I can imagine how your friend feels. I just bookmarked the page. It's the best poetry I've read in a very long time.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by DanseMacabre(m): 11:28pm On May 02, 2017
llaykorn:

Thank you, DM! Many of these people don't believe that poetry has evolved into something bigger than the literature they were forced to read in secondary school. Romeo just won the Brunel Poetry Prize. There were more than a thousand entries, and I'm sure there were a lot of uninformed people who thought they could get anywhere with how perfect the syllable-count of their sonnets were. I know quite a number of the short listed poets and some of them don't even write in stanzas. Lol.

True bro. I wish I'd known of the call for submissions. The funny thing's that, if you don't have a real gift for poetry and the ability to rhyme meaningfully, you'd end up using words just for the rhymes, the same way most of our contemporary local rappers do.

P.S Is this the same laykorn from that our Whatsapp group that year? It used to be fun with OAM4J, yuzedo, jigsawkillah, texanomaly etc.

Hola.

1 Like

Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by KnightB(m): 11:29pm On May 02, 2017
Awesome lines! ...somewhat gay. I might be wrong anyway.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by llaykorn: 11:38pm On May 02, 2017
DanseMacabre:

True bro. I wish I'd known of the call for submissions. The funny thing's that, if you don't have a real gift for poetry and the ability to rhyme meaningfully, you'd end up using words just for the rhymes, the same way most of our contemporary local rappers do.

P.S Is this the same laykorn from that our Whatsapp group that year? It used to be fun with OAM4J, yuzedo, jigsawkillah, texanomaly etc.

Hola.

Oh yes. I remember I had to keep Rhymezone open years ago anytime I wrote poems. The rhymes ended up dictating the way my poems started and ended.

And yes, it's the same laykorn. You used to have this same name on the group?
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by DanseMacabre(m): 11:48pm On May 02, 2017
llaykorn:

Oh yes. I remember I had to keep Rhymezone open years ago anytime I wrote poems. The rhymes ended up dictating the way my poems started and ended.

And yes, it's the same laykorn. You used to have this same name on the group?

Lol.

Nah, used to go by venivediveci here, and Shiva there. Remember?
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by papoose321: 12:00am On May 03, 2017
Him for make audio so we can fast to d end
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by UyiIredia(m): 12:15am On May 03, 2017
If these poems were selected just because they involve LGBT issues that would be pitiable. One must mostly look at the style and passion in it and not be lulled by sentiments_and least not only.

1 Like

Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by MDCCCXXXII: 4:11am On May 03, 2017
DanseMacabre:

Prescriptive poetry? LMAO! Even shakespeare wrote in metre and iambic pentameter... So, what on earth are you yammering about, eh?

Prescriptive poetry my behind!.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by MDCCCXXXII: 4:17am On May 03, 2017
llaykorn:

Care to share the link let's read for our self?.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by Akell(m): 5:09am On May 03, 2017
TruthNigeria:
Lalasticlala, this should be in front page

Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by donsiqua(m): 6:34am On May 03, 2017
rottentomatoes:
the poem na about gay o grin grin

I thought I was the only one who noticed it.
That's why it won that award.

Westerners and gay sympathy be like....

Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by baylord101(m): 6:46am On May 03, 2017
Seun
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

And other mods, it's high time Nairaland support her member poet by pushing some to fp, u never can tell who's reading.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by DanseMacabre(m): 6:47am On May 03, 2017
MDCCCXXXII:
Prescriptive poetry? LMAO! Even shakespeare wrote in metre and iambic pentameter... So, what on earth are you yammering about, eh?

Prescriptive poetry my behind!.

I understand.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by elfico(m): 6:49am On May 03, 2017
MDCCCXXXII:
Free verse! Always free verse! If Nairaland mods and seun aren't bias, they would have seen pure talent in Nairaland's Poem for Review section.

Any poet who fail to evolve and always write in free verse is just a poet, nothing, nothing less!
"No verse i s free for a man who wants to do a good job"
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by shirgles(m): 7:15am On May 03, 2017
Great man
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by tianshie(m): 9:45am On May 03, 2017
SIRmanjar:
Nawaooo! Naso I go visit my cousins one day,dem say make I carry car make we go hear poem(spoken words). I slip away from dem go relax for one nearby bar.

Next time, make you follow them go. Support the arts. Story telling and poetry help to preserve the past, serve as the public memory, and create communal bonds.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by joefredd006(m): 5:21pm On May 03, 2017
It's one thing to know how to write, it's another to know how to read. I took my time to read this guy's work and saw clearly why he won.

His work is not that great because it lacks melody. However, he simply played the ace card to beat his opponents. He tackled a contemporary issued " Same sex marriage ". Then he went for the idea, condemning all actions taken against gay people in Nigeria.

This ultimately won the heart of the judges who are probably gay or indifferent about LGBT's.
congratulations to him.

1 Like

Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by elvision1(m): 7:30pm On May 03, 2017
Am not fooled by the prize he won.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by MDCCCXXXII: 7:42pm On May 03, 2017
joefredd006:
It's one thing to know how to write, it's another to know how to read. I took my time to read this guy's work and saw clearly why he won.

His work is not that great because it lacks melody. However, he simply played the ace card to beat his opponents. He tackled a contemporary issued " Same sex marriage ". Then he went for the idea, condemning all actions taken against gay people in Nigeria.

This ultimately won the heart of the judges who are probably gay or indifferent about LGBT's.
congratulations to him.
That's still sentiment!
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by Image123(m): 8:28pm On May 03, 2017
Promoting homosexuality and insanity.
Re: Read Romeo Origun's Winning Poems by llaykorn: 8:59pm On May 03, 2017
MDCCCXXXII:
Care to share the link let's read for our self?.

There's no link. They are my friends on Facebook.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Poem On Racism / Nice Poetry In Pidgin English / A Voice That Speaks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.