Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,570 members, 7,801,620 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management (30343 Views)

Drone Shots And Photos Of Covenant University CU! Architectural Wonders!! / The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students / Meet Dr. Timothy Aneke Who Ordered The Shaving Of Covenant University Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by dotun365: 9:34pm On May 03, 2017
maclatunji:

Quite educative from a legal perspective. The students should sue.
really?? Then the school should expel them so that they can be enjoying the freedom of thought, speech and religion from their fathers houses.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by OBAGADAFFI: 9:35pm On May 03, 2017
The Constitution is superior to any organizational rules and regulations.

The same government that gave Convent University license to operate can also revoke that license.

2 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 9:35pm On May 03, 2017
larrybee2017:

Like seriously, who was your law lecturer in school? Which case and which court? Only a sane Nigeria whose brain is not affected by this change will know that this is bullshit

This is in the constitution madam, stop talking what you don't know. The right to religious freedom is a right for every Nigerian and should not be trampled on, stop displaying your ignorance, learn and ask questions if you don't know, it helps.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by teemy(m): 9:36pm On May 03, 2017
i have to side up with maclatunji on this one. in schools there is the part of 'appearing before the senate' before a judgement that high ever passes out. do students get suspension for missing one course's lecture? while being christians ...
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by larrybee2017(f): 9:36pm On May 03, 2017
maasoap:

I'm not surprised by your comment, when religion is involved, everyone becomes zombie.
Exactly my point to you. You type only trash when your reasoning has been shifted to your fingers.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 9:37pm On May 03, 2017
maasoap:

Thank you. Their logics irritate me. They're saying CU is a private institution! So what? Are they not guided by the Nigeria constitution because they're private institution?

when it comes to religion, Nigerians become so stupid, it's like their brain tunes off.

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by maasoap(m): 9:37pm On May 03, 2017
VULCAN:
For those of you that agree with the OP you must remember that most Africans have become brainwashed to submit to authority no matter the type due to a combination of African parenting which does not tolerate nonsense and military rule which is worse.

So don't feel bad that so many peeps are saying they "signed up for it" meaning that if the VC decides to torture a student to near death it is acceptable since said student "signed up for it"

Very few black Africans have an indepth experiential knowledge of the concept of freedom, basic human rights and rule of law
Thank you. They've been brainwashed. Like you don't have any rights once you have accepted the private institution offer of admission.

2 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by larrybee2017(f): 9:38pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

This is in the constitution madam, stop talking what you don't know. The right to religious freedom is a right for every Nigerian and should not be trampled on, stop displaying your ignorance, learn and ask questions if you don't know, it helps.
I'm not surprise even a senator is now a comedian and this can only happen in a nation call Nigeria
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by k9ine(m): 9:39pm On May 03, 2017
My question is, what are the parents of those suspended students doing? You suspend students because they missed Easter service. Is it a seminary where it going to church counts as course work? I believe they wouldnt suspend students in the seminary.

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by teemy(m): 9:40pm On May 03, 2017
... it would be wrong to ram our faith down other's throats just because we control the environment. i believe it is honorable to create a place of harmony for all to live as long as they remain peaceful. cu should review this case in all fairness.

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by abels(m): 9:40pm On May 03, 2017
Tis piece is too long naaaa haba. Na blog b tis nt news paper naaa
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by dotun365: 9:40pm On May 03, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
Although the writer made valid points, but there's something he needs to understand; the school is an organization that has laws set in it. If the students can't abide, they should leave the school. I'm not in support of the suspension issue, I hope the school try as much as possible to forgive them (especially the final year students), since they're a very religiousody. You can't be preaching forgiveness from the bible and not act according to it. Your argument is allowed
forgiveness doesn't mean you don't face the consequences for your actions.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 9:41pm On May 03, 2017
larrybee2017:

I'm not surprise even a senator is now a comedian and this can only happen in a nation call Nigeria

Pity, someone that does not know, and does not know that he/she does not know....that's the worse case scenario, it can't be helped.

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by OBAGADAFFI: 9:41pm On May 03, 2017
dotun365:
really?? Then the school should expel them so that they can be enjoying the freedom of thought, speech and religion from their fathers houses.

UNILAG just recalled the suspended protesting students.

Convenant is not a seminary school. The management don't have the right to deny the student freedom of thought, speech and religion
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by maasoap(m): 9:41pm On May 03, 2017
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by TerrorSquad147: 9:42pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

their law is contrary to the Nigerian constitution and the constitution comes 1st in cases like this, the fact that they are a private institution is irrelevant.
even in your home your dad make laws. If you're not comfortable with the laws you leave the house.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 9:42pm On May 03, 2017
VULCAN:
For those of you that agree with the OP you must remember that most Africans have become brainwashed to submit to authority no matter the type due to a combination of African parenting which does not tolerate nonsense and military rule which is worse.

So don't feel bad that so many peeps are saying they "signed up for it" meaning that if the VC decides to torture a student to near death it is acceptable since said student "signed up for it"

Whatever covenant uni put in their handbook supercedes Nigerian law as far as many are concerned.

Very few black Africans have an indepth experiential knowledge of the concept of freedom, basic human rights and rule of law

my dear, i'm tired of trying to educate pple on their rights...it's a sorry case
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by maasoap(m): 9:43pm On May 03, 2017
larrybee2017:

Exactly my point to you. You type only trash when your reasoning has been shifted to your fingers.
As you can see, upbringing is different. Don't you get it? I don't prove point by trash talking. Even if I have to, a man from your family will be suitable challenge. You got something reasonable to post, I'm here.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by TerrorSquad147: 9:44pm On May 03, 2017
dotun365:
forgiveness doesn't mean you don't face the consequences for your actions.
not by suspending them, they could have given them lighter punishments especially as they're first time offenders.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by AntiWailer: 9:46pm On May 03, 2017
maasoap:

Impunity thrives in our society because of people like you. What if students are sick during those four days? Were they given fair hearing? No.

The school is a regimented school.

U dnt use phones and other ridiculous laws.

If u know that and apply, then what is the impunity ?

If they were sick they will tender their medical report u were not there either.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by oruma19: 9:46pm On May 03, 2017
The management of the school is not serious.do they think it's the church that they force people to do things against their wish? What kind of a nonsense school is that sef? Living faith church that owns the school is known for forcing people to do things against their wish. I am not surprised. That's how they force people to have tithe booklet as if God cannot keep His records by himself. When u look at what this people do in the churches of these days, u will give up on fraternizing with them and serve God Ur own way just as I v decided in the past month. God kept Sabbath day only for worship, our entrepreneurs force u to serve God in their churches everyday and they collect offering and tithe on all those days. Yeye. . Africans should start using their brains, we hardly use it.

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 9:46pm On May 03, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
even in your home your dad make laws. If you're not comfortable with the laws you leave the house.

If i'm an adult and my Father violates one of my constitutional right as a Nigerian, if I take the case to court, I will win, simple. How difficult is that for you guys to understand Freedom of religion is a basic right for every Nigerian in the constitution and as long as you are on Nigerian soil, it has to be respected, in the case where there is a conflict between this right and any organisational/institutional rules, the constitution supersedes.

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by AntiWailer: 9:46pm On May 03, 2017
obonujoker:

Wat do those schools you mentioned have to offer, that covenant doesn't offer?

They are not private universities and not for babies.

I hope that answers your question.

Next question please.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by AntiWailer: 9:47pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

If i'm an adult and my Father violates one of my constitutional right as a Nigerian, if I take the case to court, I will win, simple. How difficult is that for you guys to understand Freedom of religion is a basic right for every Nigerian in the constitution and as long as you are on Nigerian soil, it has to be respected, in the case where there is a conflict between this right and any organisational/institutional rules, the constitution supersedes.

Not while living under his roof in Nigeria.

They will refer you to a family court.

Where u will use 'eegun otolo to too'
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 9:48pm On May 03, 2017
TerrorSquad147:

larrybee2017:

I hope the comment below helps you understand better

OBAGADAFFI:
The Constitution is superior to any organizational rules and regulations.

The same government that gave Convent University license to operate can also revoke that license.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by mu2sa2: 9:52pm On May 03, 2017
If the suspended students decide to sue the university, there is no guarantee they will win, because the judges are corrupt and Oyedepo(overlord of the university) is a wealthy man and in naija money can move mountains.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by saintmark88(m): 9:52pm On May 03, 2017
AntiWailer:

I think Students who can not cope with the strict laws should pass Jamb and go to OAU , UNILAG etc.

Just shut up bfre I curse u der, this kind of thinking is why we will always be used, oppressed and dumped, if the school has gone against the laws of the country and violated poles constitutional right, it's our duty to call dem to order

2 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by maasoap(m): 9:52pm On May 03, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
Your dad has no right to chase you away from home just because he owns the house. That's exactly what we're saying here. Ignorance and autocratic behaviour. There are some things that your dad must not even do, otherwise it can land him in prison.

2 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by TerrorSquad147: 9:53pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

in this same nigeria, the judges can compromise. Like I mentioned in my post, the school management should be lenient enough to the students. They can't be preaching forgiveness and not forgive these students that are first time offenders for a case that's worth overlooking.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by TerrorSquad147: 9:53pm On May 03, 2017
AntiWailer:

Not while living under his roof in Nigeria.

They will refer you to a family court.

Where u will use 'eegun otolo to too'
thank you very much my brother
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by oruma19: 9:54pm On May 03, 2017
After we will come here and blame Muslims for forcing people to become their converts. Hypocrisy will destroy Africa. I for one do not like the school , my children won't attend such school that they skew Ur mind and make u a zombie. That is not what people should pay for. To think that majority of their members cannot even attend the school because they can't afford to pay the fee is another topic entirely. Meanwhile the school was built with church money. I hate religion especially "Penterascalism" and Islam

2 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by TerrorSquad147: 9:56pm On May 03, 2017
maasoap:

Your dad has no right to chase you away from home just because he owns the house. That's exactly what we're saying here. Ignorance and autocratic behaviour. There are some things that your dad must not even do, otherwise it can land him in prison.
it's his house not yours ok. I'm not in support of him chasing her or whatever, just understand that he's the head of the house and has the authority over you, especially when he's not doing something criminally inclined

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? / Pathetic State Of Schools In Akwa Ibom (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.