Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management (30388 Views)

Drone Shots And Photos Of Covenant University CU! Architectural Wonders!! / The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students / Meet Dr. Timothy Aneke Who Ordered The Shaving Of Covenant University Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 9:56pm On May 03, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
in this same nigeria, the judges can compromise. Like I mentioned in my post, the school management should be lenient enough to the students. They can't be preaching forgiveness and not forgive these students that are first time offenders for a case that's worth overlooking.

it's not about being lenient. They are wrong simple, they have no right to do what they did. The students should sue and they will win. I have a lawyer friend that is willing to take the case pro-bono cos it's a very straight forward case, the school violated their constitutional right. We should not allow lawlessness like this slide.

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by saintmark88(m): 9:57pm On May 03, 2017
Imstrong:
Every institution has its rules and regulations covenant university is faith based and well principled, it's also private, they have a standard governing its activities

This is what u guys dnt get, the schs has its rules, but if those rules violate my right den I have a reason to challenge those rules, if I win in court, d sch has no option to change it rules

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by saintmark88(m): 9:57pm On May 03, 2017
Imstrong:
Every institution has its rules and regulations covenant university is faith based and well principled, it's also private, they have a standard governing its activities

This is what u guys dnt get, the schs has its rules, but if those rules violate my right den I have a reason to challenge those rules, if I win in court, d sch has no option than to change it rules
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by captainsholo(m): 9:57pm On May 03, 2017
the issue is,even if they Sue the school, they can never win. reason being that, there's a document you sign on your matriculation day both at covenant and landmark that binds you to their handbook. so in the case of law actions, those two schools will tell you to come to the court with your handbook where it is stated that you would be suspended for 4weeks ranging 1year depending on your previous offences. So you can never win as far as the handbook still covers that year. #lmupathfinder
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by wydmag(m): 9:58pm On May 03, 2017
The students may have been intimidated by the school authority so it may Be Hard to sue
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by OBAGADAFFI: 9:59pm On May 03, 2017
mu2sa2:
If the suspended students decide to sue the university, there is no guarantee they will win, [b]because the judges are corrupt and Oyedepo(overlord of the university) is a wealthy [/b]man and in naija money can move mountains.

Undiluted Truth, even our corrupted politicians with fight to protect Oyedepo.

Just look at how T.B Joshua case is being handled.

The Pastorpreneors can't​ try this nonsense in developed countries.

I am sure that Convenant University is not even remitting their taxes

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Originalsly: 9:59pm On May 03, 2017
Haven't read the entire epistle. The foundation of his claim is weak...very weak. If you are to buy a house and you find the foundation is weak... faulty... would you go on to inspect the flooring and roof? First off.... there are laws and there are rules. CU has rules...he is referring to them as laws. In signing up as a student you ... you also signed to abide by the rules...it is an agreement... a contract. If you can't uphold your end of the agreement... you no longer feel like attending church/services... quit. What is different than being on a Football Team?....football teams have rules...and the game as well has rules... rules..not laws... you have to attend practice or face consequences.... fines... suspension... or be terminated. Would you then say it is a violation of his human rights?..his freedom to attend or not to attend practice if he doesn't feel like?...that the team shouldn't force him to practice if he doesn't want to?...that he is an adult and not a child?...or are you going to say that is different? These are the type if people that would join a choir but don't want to sing... then some chicken brain would come along to say if he doesn't want to sing no one should force him to. Get my drift?

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Akainzo(m): 9:59pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

This is in the constitution madam, stop talking what you don't know. The right to religious freedom is a right for every Nigerian and should not be trampled on, stop displaying your ignorance, learn and ask questions if you don't know, it helps.

The question is Are they being forced to practice a different religion?

Religious freedom as guaranteed by the constitution is not being violated IF the students had declared themselves to be Christians ab initio and are not claiming to be adherents of another a different religious belief.

maclatunji:
By Festus Ogun

Section 38(2) of the Constitution goes further by providing thus: “No person attending any place of education SHALL BE REQUIRED TO RECEIVE RELIGIOUS INSTRUCTION OR TO TAKE PART IN OR ATTEND ANY RELIGIOUS CEREMONY OR OBSERVANCE, if such instruction, ceremony or observance relates to a RELIGION OTHER THAN HIS OWN or religion not approved by his parent or guardian.” (Emphasis supplied by me).

The above provision has expressly precluded any institution from imposing religious instructions on students for any reason whatsoever. However, there are two main clauses that need to be clarified.

They are:

(1) Where the religious instruction relate to a religion other than his own OR (not AND)

(2) Where the religion is not approved by his parent or guardian.

The submissions of the students signing the university entry documents ensured that provisions of Section 38(2) had not been breached. The 2 circumstances are not applicable against CU, thus it would be tough to proof their actions is against the constitution.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by AngelicBeing: 10:00pm On May 03, 2017
Ramon92:
Mtcheew, Wetin concern me? If thunder no wan fire Buhari join the sickness wey de do am, make he pay my Alawee tomorrow oo

Eyes don red oo
grin grin grin

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by AntiWailer: 10:00pm On May 03, 2017
saintmark88:

Just shut up bfre I curse u der, this kind of thinking is why we will always be used, oppressed and dumped, if the school has gone against the laws of the country and violated poles constitutional right, it's our duty to call dem to order

Use your mouth to put your miserable life in order before you start using it to curse yourself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by saintmark88(m): 10:00pm On May 03, 2017
prettyboi1989:

bla bla, i just punched a hole in the guy's article, if you cant read inbetween the lines, dats ur problem, deal with it. he lost his stance of illegality about the school's action by saying any rule or law outside the constitution should be disregarded. thats senseless in itself, he might aswell go work work for a company, engage in shady deals and expect not to get fired because he feels the rules governing the company doesnt affect him because it isnt the constitution. thats outright hogwash, balderdash and bullshiit

My nephew in primary 2, has better understanding capacity than u do

3 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by claremont(m): 10:01pm On May 03, 2017
Imstrong:

The point of the article is that the ''rules and regulations'' of the university IS subservient to the constitution of Nigeria which guarantees freedom of worship and assembly. The action of the university in suspending students who didn't attend a religious event is unlawful, and in civilized societies, the university will be fined heavily.

The fact that some posters on here support this discriminatory act is sadly a reflection of the way and manner religion has eaten deep into our society at the expense of common sense.

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by TerrorSquad147: 10:01pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

I hope the comment below helps you understand better

Let them goto court then. Like I still mentioned, every home or organization have laid down rules. If you can't cope, leave.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by maasoap(m): 10:01pm On May 03, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
it's his house not yours ok. I'm not in support of him chasing her or whatever, just understand that he's the head of the house and has the authority over you, especially when he's not doing something criminally inclined
You still didn't get it. Dad chased the son out of the house because they disagreed and he owns the house. Following day, the corpse of the son was found in the neighbourhood, killed by canies or ritualists. The mother, family member or concerned citizen took the father to court. Don't you think such father will spend some time in prison?
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Opakan2: 10:01pm On May 03, 2017
so what's our own business there?
na me send you go glorified secondary school ni

what you see is what you take

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 10:02pm On May 03, 2017
Akainzo:

The question is Are they being forced to practice a different religion?

Religious freedom as guaranteed by the constitution is not being violated IF the students had declared themselves to be Christians ab initio and are not claiming to be adherents of another a different religious belief.

The submissions of the students signing the university entry documents ensured that provisions of Section 38(2) had not been breached. The 2 circumstances are not applicable against CU, thus it would be tough to proof their actions is against the constitution.

so what stops them from saying they are no longer christians. Remember they also have the right to change their religion at anytime.

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Siscooh: 10:02pm On May 03, 2017
realestniggah:
of course some people will come here to support this..

they are in the university for Christ sake not secondary school.

damn..it like they are under a bondage being Christians..and you wonder why we have atheists coming out every day..

they are adults and they should be able to make decision for themselves..you can't force someone to do something against their own will.

the last time I checked it not a seminary school..they are supposed to provide good education nothing more nothing less.
Let them pack and go. The school orders please God. Thank you
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 10:05pm On May 03, 2017
captainsholo:
the issue is,even if they Sue the school, they can never win. reason being that, there's a document you sign on your matriculation day both at covenant and landmark that binds you to their handbook. so in the case of law actions, those two schools will tell you to come to the court with your handbook where it is stated that you would be suspended for 4weeks ranging 1year depending on your previous offences. So you can never win as far as the handbook still covers that year. #lmupathfinder

When the rules/regulations of an institution violates the constitution, the constitution supersedes. Whether or not they signed any document is irrelevant if it violates their fundamental human right, like right to life and right to freedom of religion.

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 10:06pm On May 03, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
Let them goto court then. Like I still mentioned, every home or organization have laid down rules. If you can't cope, leave.

and every human has fundamental/basic human right which should not be violated. Know your right so that nobody can push you around.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Ramon92: 10:06pm On May 03, 2017
origima:

Did thundered fired ur father for all his lapses?
My father never promised anyone heaven on earth. Anyway, You no go school so you no go understand.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by saintmark88(m): 10:07pm On May 03, 2017
AntiWailer:

Use your mouth to put your miserable life in order before you start using it to curse yourself.

I have always known u to be stupid, but this stupid!!?. I never envisaged

1 Like

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by OBAGADAFFI: 10:07pm On May 03, 2017
maasoap:

You still didn't get it. Dad chased the son out of the house because they disagreed and he owns the house. Following day, the corpse of the son was found in the neighbourhood, killed by canies or ritualists. The mother, family member or concerned citizen took the father to court. Don't you think such father will spend some time in prison?

You're even going too far.

Here in Lagos, Parents are jailed over disciplining their kids.

You can report your neighbor for the maltreatment of his children and the government Will take action

3 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Siscooh: 10:08pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

when it comes to religion, Nigerians become so stupid, it's like their brain tunes off.
Let them leave that school if it is not comfortable. That is Holy ground. Do you want the Lord to be displeased if lawlessness takes over? Hmm!!
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by jeffoski(m): 10:08pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

Did you guys even read the post, read it 1st before writing anything. what they did is ILLEGAL, it is not valid, it violates the students right of religious freedom which is ingrained in the constitution. You guys should know your rights so pple don't trample on you.

Which right biko? Did you think before those student got admission they didn't sign?

Do you think the school didn't know all this and must have taken legal actions back any of their decision? Even in federal universities while doing your clearance and matriculation don't you sign forms to abide by the school rule or any rule dey dim fit to bring?

It is their school and they have their rules. They didn't force you and they are not the only university in Nigeria. Infact wetin dey Easter retreat sef. If it was 7days Easter jamboree they wiil not have a problem attending.

2 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 10:09pm On May 03, 2017
Siscooh:

Let them leave that school if it is not comfortable. That is Holy ground. Do you want the Lord to be displeased if lawlessness takes over? Hmm!!

very very rubbish talk. I don't even know the reply to give you sef.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 10:12pm On May 03, 2017
jeffoski:

Which right biko? Did you think before those student got admission they didn't sign?

Do you think the school didn't know all this and must have taken legal actions back any of their decision? Even in federal universities while doing your clearance and matriculation don't you sign forms to abide by the school rule or any rule dey dim fit to bring?

It is their school and they have their rules. They didn't force you and they are not the only university in Nigeria. Infact wetin dey Easter retreat sef. If it was 7days Easter jamboree they wiil not have a problem attending.

If you still don't get it after these replies below, then I can't help you

uzolexis:

When the rules/regulations of an institution violates the constitution, the constitution supersedes. Whether or not they signed any document is irrelevant if it violates their fundamental human right, like right to life and right to freedom of religion.

OBAGADAFFI:
The Constitution is superior to any organizational rules and regulations.

The same government that gave Convent University license to operate can also revoke that license.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Akainzo(m): 10:12pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

so what stops them from saying they are no longer christians. Remember they also have the right to change their religion at anytime.

No issues with that, however they would have had to have documented evidence of notifying the school authorities prior to the Easter service or would they be changing religion AFTER the event?

I believe none of them would have done such notification.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by jeffoski(m): 10:12pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

If you still don't get it after these replies below, then I can't help you

I don't need your help. Whoever wan sue make e go sue. Happy suing
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by TerrorSquad147: 10:13pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

it's not about being lenient. They are wrong simple, they have no right to do what they did. The students should sue and they will win. I have a lawyer friend that is willing to take the case pro-bono cos it's a very straight forward case, the school violated their constitutional right. We should not allow lawlessness like this slide.
my dear, in the house I lived in before moving out, the landlord didn't allow anybody use a generator. I still went ahead to use a generator because I couldn't cope with the epileptic power supply in that area, he then gave me a quit notice. I took him to court and while we were there, they asked him why he refused the usage of generators in the house. He replied them by saying that he had experienced fire outbreak in the house due to the usage of generators, and his wife stood as the witness. The man won the case that day. I had to talk to him later, he then allowed me to stay. After that year, I moved out. When they were filling the forms, I'm sure they ticked Christianity as their religion, and the rules they must follow.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by uzolexis(f): 10:15pm On May 03, 2017
Originalsly:
Haven't read the entire epistle. The foundation of his claim is weak...very weak. If you are to buy a house and you find the foundation is weak... faulty... would you go on to inspect the flooring and roof? First off.... there are laws and there are rules. CU has rules...he is referring to them as laws. In signing up as a student you ... you also signed to abide by the rules...it is an agreement... a contract. If you can't uphold your end of the agreement... you no longer feel like attending church/services... quit. What is different than being on a Football Team?....football teams have rules...and the game as well has rules... rules..not laws... you have to attend practice or face consequences.... fines... suspension... or be terminated. Would you then say it is a violation of his human rights?..his freedom to attend or not to attend practice if he doesn't feel like?...that the team shouldn't force him to practice if he doesn't want to?...that he is an adult and not a child?...or are you going to say that is different? These are the type if people that would join a choir but don't want to sing... then some chicken brain would come along to say if he doesn't want to sing no one should force him to. Get my drift?

Do you know what "fundamental human right" is? Right to life, right to religious freedom etc. These are basic human right which should not be violated. Your football team and choir examples don't make sense cos they are not violating any right. You get
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Nobody: 10:16pm On May 03, 2017
VERDA:

What are you saying ,is the school suppose to force people to attend its church programmes, don't they have rights again.?.If they are so interested in forcing people to attend why don't they just make the sch an only winners members school... To even think that some of you see nothing wrong with a higher institution forcing students to attend its church programme is scary.
read my post slowly and help me identify where i mentioned school and church
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Boldtrust(m): 10:16pm On May 03, 2017
uzolexis:

Did you guys even read the post, read it 1st before writing anything. what they did is ILLEGAL, it is not valid, it violates the students right of religious freedom which is ingrained in the constitution. You guys should know your rights so pple don't trample on you.
Kontiniyo. We shall get there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

National Open University Headquarters In Abuja (Pictures) / "Crying Is Allowed But Do So Quietly": Unususal Instruction On Examination Paper / Final Year UNIUYO Student In Lucky Escape As Ceiling Fan Falls Off While Asleep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.