Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

A Call To Nigerian Programmers - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Call To Nigerian Programmers (2915 Views)

Nigerian Programmers Are Great / Why Are Nigerian Programmers Not Interested In Game Design / Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 03, 2017
After something that occurred to users of whatsapp where whatsapp was literary said to be down. I observed one thing, the outburst of Nigerians just on a thread alone https://www.nairaland.com/3778205/whatsapp-down few minutes after the thread was created.
I am not a so good coder but there are Nigerians, expert coders on this forum that can build something as good as whatsapp.
People were stranded because their whatsapp was down as it was something quite important to them. We can change something also, you can build your own social media.. Nothing is too small, small beginnings lead to big endings.... Look at snapchat, whatsapp, facebook, instagram, allo, etc. Start with something!

Please mind my typos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Paul004(m): 1:47am On May 04, 2017
You are very correct. we have the ability and capability to do just that. But most Nigerian programmers are faced with a common challenge which is light. light to power their laptops 24/7 will really go a long way in improving our skills and experience.

3 Likes

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 1:52am On May 04, 2017
^^^^As a result of the factors above, it is very hard to get a dedicated team working on all these things together.

2 Likes

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by donsheddy1(m): 6:35am On May 04, 2017
Person wey never chop dey code?

5 Likes

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by stack1(m): 2:06pm On May 04, 2017
pachman:
After something that occurred to users of whatsapp where whatsapp was literary said to be down. I observed one thing, the outburst of Nigerians just on a thread alone https://www.nairaland.com/3778205/whatsapp-down few minutes after the thread was created.
I am not a so good coder but there are Nigerians, expert coders on this forum that can build something as good as whatsapp.
People were stranded because their whatsapp was down as it was something quite important to them. We can change something also, you can build your own social media.. Nothing is too small, small beginnings lead to big endings.... Look at snapchat, whatsapp, facebook, instagram, allo, etc. Start with something!

Please mind my typos

The messenger app features of whatsapp arent exactly so much of a big deal to develop, u need to understand whatsapp runs on a complex server infrastructure to support billions of messages daily, so investment literally would be the challenge, you'll need several dedicated balanced/fail-over servers [i'm talking high-end, many-core/many-ram servers) to setup and a well written backend system (Whatsapp backend is mostly erlang btw), Running such an infrastructure requires solid investment, not impossible at all tho.

The whatsapp FB bought for about $19B, had a server count of several 100's, and collectively over a thousand processors +tera Bytes of Ram, and thats just a part of the big pictre

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 04, 2017
stack1:

The messenger app features of whatsapp arent exactly so much of a big deal to develop, u need to understand whatsapp runs on a complex server infrastructure to support billions of messages daily, so investment literally would be the challenge, you'll need several dedicated balanced/fail-over servers [i'm talking high-end, many-core/many-ram servers) to setup and a well written backend system (Whatsapp backend is mostly erlang btw), Running such an infrastructure requires solid investment, not impossible at all tho.

The whatsapp FB bought for about $19B, had a server count of several 100's, and collectively over a thousand processors +tera Bytes of Ram, and thats just a part of the big pictre
Wow! So it really did take a lot of money
Never thought of that... If we can cooperate as a team and work together to bring something up, we can develop and bring something from this environment.. From our own Nigeria

1 Like

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by BlueMagnificent(m): 2:42pm On May 04, 2017
stack1:

I politely disagree with you point.

If whatsapp guys where waiting until they could acquire a good number of servers and infrastructures then you and I know that there would be nothing like whatsapp today. Same goes for facebook and even google.

First bring the idea to life then worry about servers and other infrastructures later. smiley

5 Likes

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 5:14pm On May 04, 2017
BlueMagnificent:

I politely disagree with you point.

If whatsapp guys where waiting until they could acquire a good number of servers and infrastructures then you and I know that there would be nothing like whatsapp today. Same goes for facebook and even google.

First bring the idea to life then worry about servers and other infrastructures later. smiley
I politely agree with your point

4 Likes

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by mcqwerty(m): 9:51am On May 05, 2017
A lot of things are wrong with this environment Nigeria and Africa as a whole. Please let me spare your the gory details.
It takes extraordinary determination, persistence and God-on-your-side to make it in Nigeria. Most programmers are just comfortable with their day jobs, which will exhaust them leaving them with no time for side projects.

1 Like

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 11:46am On May 05, 2017
mcqwerty:
A lot of things are wrong with this environment Nigeria and Africa as a whole. Please let me spare your the gory details.
It takes extraordinary determination, persistence and God-on-your-side to make it in Nigeria. Most programmers are just comfortable with their day jobs, which will exhaust them leaving them with no time for side projects.
Come on... It takes total determination... A team or group of determined individuals who can keep on inspiring one another!
If we can gather 30 good programmers on this forum that are determined.. Yes we can!

1 Like

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by ezehy: 8:16pm On May 05, 2017
I am good at ideas also can code, I volunteer
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 05, 2017
We have ezehy
I also volunteer..
Can we get people that can volunteer to this kind of thing?
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by raylet: 5:04am On May 06, 2017
Am in....
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by cbrass(m): 7:38pm On May 06, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by azibit: 8:22am On May 07, 2017
Am In
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by yorex2011: 8:55am On May 07, 2017
I won't mind, but trust isn't so easy in Nigeria.
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by yorex2011: 8:56am On May 07, 2017
But it would have to be something utterly different from what exists..
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by 4dor: 9:52am On May 07, 2017
cbrass:
grin grin grin grin

This is the best comment on this thread.
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by pseudonomer: 10:53am On May 07, 2017
pachman:

Come on... It takes total determination... A team or group of determined individuals who can keep on inspiring one another!
If we can gather 30 good programmers on this forum that are determined.. Yes we can!

My point is valid. Nigerians don't really have innovative minds...Why build another whatsapp? A guy was posting everywhere in the forum that he built a Nigeria Facebook? Why? Why? Even Telegram, IMO WhatsApp are not even close yet..

I'm yet to see a very innovative idea in Nigeria, it doesn't has to be something complex but unique, useful, and solves a lot of problem.

Facebook was entirely new, different type of Social Network site and unique when it came into existence, there was myspace then, but Mark chose to build something different. Twitter, another social website, but still unique, and does most things differently from Facebook, Then Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest.... They are all the same, but unique...these products is a work of very creative minds...

I took a course from edx some years back, Innovation and Entrepreneurship. It changed the way I think ever since then.

And I don't think some group of young men, coming together to force an idea out will work... It doesn't work that way most times...

Nigerians way of thinking is more of making profits quickly instead of building a large user base(This is why most start-ups failed in Nigeria)...

1 Like

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by cbrass(m): 1:05pm On May 07, 2017
4dor:

This is the best comment on this thread.

Really. cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by 4dor: 1:17pm On May 07, 2017
pseudonomer:

My point is valid. Nigerians don't really have innovative minds...Why build another whatsapp? A guy was posting everywhere in the forum that he built a Nigeria Facebook? Why? Why? Even Telegram, IMO WhatsApp are not even close yet..

I'm yet to see a very innovative idea in Nigeria, it doesn't has to be something complex but unique, useful, and solves a lot of problem.

Facebook was entirely new, different type of Social Network site and unique when it came into existence, there was myspace then, but Mark chose to build something different. Twitter, another social website, but still unique, and does most things differently from Facebook, Then Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest.... They are all the same, but unique...these products is a work of very creative minds...

I took a course from edx some years back, Innovation and Entrepreneurship. It changed the way I think ever since then.

And I don't think some group of young men, coming together to force an idea out will work... It doesn't work that way most times...

Nigerians way of thinking is more of making profits quickly instead of building a large user base(This is why most start-ups failed in Nigeria)...

This is another comment I really like. Unfortunately, you're like a Pastor preaching in a bar. Most of the people you're talking to have no idea.

2 Likes

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by AntiWailer: 2:24pm On May 07, 2017
stack1:

Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Laird(m): 3:12pm On May 07, 2017
Listen and read Carefully

Facebook, Twitter, Google all has wealthy Investors and some of their founders even had wealthy or very comfortable parents who were able to support their lifestyle while they focused on their companies until the Companies became profitable over the long term

These investors who invested their money in exchange for for an equity stake or share or part ownership of the Company and provided long term working expenditure capital to keep advertising heavily, creating products and keep paying staff until income started coming into the company. Have You heard of Yuri Milner, Eduardo Savarrin, Kleiner Perkins, Sequioa Capita, Peter Thiell................These are are early investors who invested in some of these Companies

If You want to start a Cable Company like DSTV the richest Company in Africa, You need to get TV Broadcasting licences which cost millions, Sign Broadcasting Streaming rights for Sports Leagues, Movie Channels, News Channels, Have Transmitters, Routers, employ staff, open offices
All these would cost Billions of dollars before even making a dime in revenue without the chance of making a profitbecause of already established big money Competitors so it is better to invest or Start Up Untapped areas of Business and try to quickly expand and scale the business

Iroko in Nigeria, Jumia, Konga and . Hotels.ng all had initial serious investors mainly foreign investors who invested PLENTY capital in exchange for for an equity stake or share or part ownership of the Company and provided long term working expenditure capital to keep advertising heavily, creating products and keep paying staff until income started coming into the company...examples include RocketInternet, Pierre Omidyar of E Bay fame

Some new businesses might take several years to become profitable so its best to have enough working capital to last through those periods

High demand, Low Competiton, Capital to enter, opportunity, timing, affordable pricing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by cbrass(m): 4:30pm On May 07, 2017
4dor:

This is another comment I really like. Unfortunately, you're like a Pastor preaching in a bar. Most of the people you're talking to have no idea.

Na your papa born you wink

1 Like

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 07, 2017
4dor:

Very funny, this thread has been a great source of entertainment for me, i however prefer to just be in the background and watch. . .

2 Likes

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by cbrass(m): 4:46pm On May 07, 2017
AntiWailer:

Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you.

But my father in heaven grin grin

BTW I did my own kind of whatsapp using jquery,framework7 and php but na only me they chat with my self grin not even mybabe gree use the thing, even my blood sisters kept giving me excuses why they can't use it, so if my own blood will deny me shey na Nigerians with bad mouth that will accept it grin
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by cbrass(m): 4:47pm On May 07, 2017
dhtml18:

Very funny, this thread has been a great source of entertainment for me, i however prefer to just be in the background and watch. . .

grin grin grin
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by AntiWailer: 4:54pm On May 07, 2017
cbrass:

BTW I did my own kind of whatsapp using jquery,framework7 and php but na only me they chat with my self grin not even mybabe gree use the thing, even my blood sisters kept giving me excuses why they can't use it, so if my own blood will deny me shey na Nigerians with bad mouth that will accept it grin
grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 07, 2017
cbrass:

Me i no go ever ever try to install that your okrika whatsapp o, make i no lie to you

1 Like

Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 07, 2017
This thing we are putting up here oo no good
ee bashing and discouragement coming from far and wide

But to be frank, we can get investors and people from all over Nigeria that would be very interested in investing being a Nigerian stuff
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 07, 2017
Investors will be nice o, i want them too!
Re: A Call To Nigerian Programmers by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 07, 2017
dhtml18:
Investors will be nice o, i want them too!
This man wining us grin
Make we start from somewhere

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hire Me For Your Web Development Needs / Microsoft Front Page Or Adobe Dreamweaver? / Jand - Java Nigerian Group Launches Web Forum!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.