Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? (1979 Views)

Cheapest sales of Home Appliances / How-to-protect-your-home-appliances-from-electrical-power-surges / How-to-protect-your-home-appliances-from-electrical-power-surges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 10:08am On May 04, 2017
1. How much energy can my battery store?
2. [b]How much energy will my appliances use over a given period?[/b]

1. how much energy can my battery store?

Battery capacity is measured in Amp Hours (e.g. 100AH). You need to convert this to Watt Hours by multiplying the AH figure by the battery voltage (e.g. 12V). this is just the simple calculation below

A (Battery size in AH) x B (Battery Voltage) = C (Power available in watt hours

For a 100AH, 12V battery the Watt Hours figure is 100(X) x 12(Y) = 1200 WH (Z)

This means the battery could supply 1200W for 1 hour, 600W for 2 hours or even 10w for 120 hours i.e. the more energy you take, the faster the battery drains or discharges.

Howeve,r you can't really take all the power from a battery, since once the voltage drops below your equipment’s requirements it will no longer be able to power it. Since I can't know the battery capacity of everyone, you can please check your battery’s specifications to make sure.

For Lead acid battery’s you will only able be to access around 50% of their rated power. (e.g. a 100Ah battery has 50Ah of usable power)

For Li-ion battery’s you will only be able to get around 80% of their rated power. (e.g. a 100Ah battery has 80Ah of usable power)

Another common question that most people ask regarding the battery issue is

Q. Are car battery’s as good for solar as leisure battery’s?

A. The answer is a capital NO they are NOT. The reason is because a leisure battery has been designed to be discharged and recharge, a Car battery is designed to provide a lot of power quickly but it’s not able to cope with a low internal charge and recover fully.

2. How much energy will my appliances use over a given period?

As We all know, the power consumption of appliances is generally given in Watts (e.g. My small portable TV is around 20W this information can be found on the data sticker behind most electrical items). To calculate the energy you will use over time, just multiply the power consumption by the hours of intended use.

i.e for my 20[i]watts[/i] TV in this example, if on for 2 hours, will take 20 x 2 = 40WH from the battery,
if it is on for 5hrs for example, it will take 5 x 20 =100wh from the battery.

Repeat this for all the appliances you wish to use, then add the results to establish total consumption.
let me quickly do an assumptous calculation below, which you can as well follow below.

TV 20w on for 2 hours per day = 40w per day

Radio 10w on for 5 hours per day = 50w per day

Water pump (20w) on for 20mins per day = 6.66w per day (20mins convert to hrs = 20/60=0.3333 x20 =6.66watts)

Main Light 30w on for 3h per day = 90w per day

Fan 25w on for 2h per day = 50w per day

Total = 236.6w per day

In other to lower your power usage and consumption I advise you swap out halogen lights for LED lights. LED lights generally use 80% less energy for a similar light level. We have a range of 12V LED.

Please keep your questions coming, as we are here to render solutions and ideas to as many that needs it.
and if you feel there's an explanation that's not in-depth, please why not add to the write up as no one knows it all. In so doing others will also learn a thing from your knowledge of the topic.

I will always do my best to share My knowledge here so keep it locked in.

email us at quickstandardsolutions@gmail.com or info@quickssolutions.com
call us on 08020979952.
#quickstandardsolutions.

Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 1:57pm On May 04, 2017
[code][/code]
QuickStandard:

1. How much energy can my battery store?
2. [b]How much energy will my appliances use over a given period?[/b]

1. how much energy can my battery store?

Battery capacity is measured in Amp Hours (e.g. 100AH). You need to convert this to Watt Hours by multiplying the AH figure by the battery voltage (e.g. 12V). this is just the simple calculation below

A (Battery size in AH) x B (Battery Voltage) = C (Power available in watt hours

For a 100AH, 12V battery the Watt Hours figure is 100(X) x 12(Y) = 1200 WH (Z)

This means the battery could supply 1200W for 1 hour, 600W for 2 hours or even 10w for 120 hours i.e. the more energy you take, the faster the battery drains or discharges.

Howeve,r you can't really take all the power from a battery, since once the voltage drops below your equipment’s requirements it will no longer be able to power it. Since I can't know the battery capacity of everyone, you can please check your battery’s specifications to make sure.

For Lead acid battery’s you will only able be to access around 50% of their rated power. (e.g. a 100Ah battery has 50Ah of usable power)

For Li-ion battery’s you will only be able to get around 80% of their rated power. (e.g. a 100Ah battery has 80Ah of usable power)

Another common question that most people ask regarding the battery issue is

Q. Are car battery’s as good for solar as leisure battery’s?

A. The answer is a capital NO they are NOT. The reason is because a leisure battery has been designed to be discharged and recharge, a Car battery is designed to provide a lot of power quickly but it’s not able to cope with a low internal charge and recover fully.

2. How much energy will my appliances use over a given period?

As We all know, the power consumption of appliances is generally given in Watts (e.g. My small portable TV is around 20W this information can be found on the data sticker behind most electrical items). To calculate the energy you will use over time, just multiply the power consumption by the hours of intended use.

i.e for my 20[i]watts[/i] TV in this example, if on for 2 hours, will take 20 x 2 = 40WH from the battery,
if it is on for 5hrs for example, it will take 5 x 20 =100wh from the battery.

Repeat this for all the appliances you wish to use, then add the results to establish total consumption.
let me quickly do an assumptous calculation below, which you can as well follow below.

TV 20w on for 2 hours per day = 40w per day

Radio 10w on for 5 hours per day = 50w per day

Water pump (20w) on for 20mins per day = 6.66w per day (20mins convert to hrs = 20/60=0.3333 x20 =6.66watts)

Main Light 30w on for 3h per day = 90w per day

Fan 25w on for 2h per day = 50w per day

Total = 236.6w per day

In other to lower your power usage and consumption I advise you swap out halogen lights for LED lights. LED lights generally use 80% less energy for a similar light level. We have a range of 12V LED.

Please keep your questions coming, as we are here to render solutions and ideas to as many that needs it.
and if you feel there's an explanation that's not in-depth, please why not add to the write up as no one knows it all. In so doing others will also learn a thing from your knowledge of the topic.

I will always do my best to share My knowledge here so keep it locked in.

email us at quickstandardsolutions@gmail.com or info@quickssolutions.com
call us on 08020979952.
#quickstandardsolutions.
Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 8:30am On May 05, 2017
I will be talking about choices of batteries when planning your Solar projects, later today so,check this thread later for tips in choosing your battery.
Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 5:01pm On May 24, 2017
Sell your used batteries today at quick standard,

Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 11:25am On Jul 22, 2017
Good morning all,
so i want to share what I experience on yesterday with anyone that might encounter same.

what do you do when your excellently executed installations fail or doesn't give you the desired result?
Most times we do have some challenges with the end results, its ok but do not panic.

I did an installation of a NEXUS inverter for a client, A new inverter at that.
after i finished and feeling fly, it was now time to do my test run.
I switched on the the inverter on battery and booooooom everything was working very well, i smiled and decided to put on the mains so that that the batteries can start charging, the next thing I heard was pin.pin.pin.pin (alarm) I was very surprised i quickly switched it off, I checked my connections again and saw everything was in order. I switched on the mains again and again the pip...pin, i checked and saw overloading, devastated, I was like damn what could be the problem?
The client was like Oga abi the inverter on good?
I was silent. I decided to just stay calm.
After about 20mins, i decided to disconect the mains i ran the inverter on batteries and it was still working, haba, whats this i said.
I removed the fuse checked and saw the fuse has blown. I said this most be the reason, I changed the fuse and connected the main again, chaiiii, another PINNNN...pIn again, I said this must be really serious.

OK maybe the inverter has gone bad I said, then I said Let me open up the inverter to check, but first I decided to change the source of my mains (input) to a different source, and boooom there the inverter is working again, with a mild smile my nerves were calm again.

I decided to run a test on the cables i used for the initial connection only to find out that one of the cable was faulty.

I changed the cable and gbam the whole place was illuminated.

So I decided to share this with anyone that might encounter the same issue.

first calm down and run a check
don't panic remember to check your inverter with another main source and you might just be lucky as i was.

For those who have experience some technicality issue, please be generous to share your experience here.
Thank you
Quick Standard Solutions.
Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 5:49am On Dec 16, 2017
As the year 2017 comes to an end, We want to say a big thank you to all those who transacted business with us directly or indirectly.
may you have a happy year ending. and also to those that we will still be dealing in the future, we say a big Merry Christmas and a happy new year in advance to you.

not also forgetting the admin of the honorable forum.

Thank you

remember to call us for your power solutions,
we are experts in Solar, Inverters, AVR and UPS installation, maintenance, repairs ans servicing.

we also buy used or scrap batteries of any size and brands.

08163169605; 08020979952

#quickstandardsolutions

Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 1:04am On Dec 24, 2017
As we walk in the last few days of 2017, we wish to say a big thank you to all those who kept us in business all through the year 2017.

We also want to use this medium to solicit for your continual business relationship in the coming year 2018.

Remember to call us for your power solutions.
We are Experts in all solar related solutions, inverters, UPS system, AVR's Batteries, whether its sales, installations, maintenance, repairs or consultancy.

You can as well call for a free quote today.

do you have condemned or scrap inverter' or UPS batteries you want to sell. call us today, lets deal, we do pick ups anywhere within Lagos or outside Lagos state.

Contact us on;
quickstandardsolutions@gmail.com

Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 10:10am On Jan 12, 2018
ykmotors:
Hello pls can someone help me out on my 3.5kva inverter just 4month old, I notice that it doesn't charge anymore, I try to carry all my battery to battery charger to know if the battery is the problem or not.
But when I bring the battery back it really work fine I enjoy 24hours of that, but once the battery is down my inverter can't change it anymore, pls what can I do? It doesn't received input but output power is working fine.

There are a few things that can make your inverter not accept the input current.
1. the voltage... check the utility voltage supplied, if it is too low, it might not accept it.
2. the frequency... the desired frequency for an inverter is between 50Hz/60Hz, if its lower or higher it might not accept the AC.

Check these and get back to me on 08163169605 or 08020979952
or you can send me a reply to any of my tread with the username "Quickstandard"
Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 8:58am On Jan 18, 2018
We supply, install all battery types.

we also buy used/scrap batteries

call us today on 08020979952
whatsapp 08163169605
Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 9:56am On Jan 22, 2018
Good morning nairalanders,
with joy in my heart i welcome you to yet another new week.

No matter what happens this week be focus and determined.

You will surely get there.

Remember to call us for all your Alternative power solutions,(Solar, Inverters and UPS systems).

We are experts in Repairs, maintenance, servicing and installations.

you can as well call us for a free quote today.

We also buy used/Scrap inverters and UPS batteries

Have a fruitful week ahead.
08020979952; 08163169605

Best Regards
Quick Standard Solutions
Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 2:58am On Mar 28, 2018
Think of Uninterrupted Power supply,
Think of Quick Standard Solutions.

Call QSS for your alternative energy solutions.

Solar, Inverters, UPS and batteries.
we also buy used/condemned inverters and UPS batteries.

We can pick up from any location in Nigeria.

Call 08020979952/08163169605
Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 12:59pm On Mar 29, 2018
Happy holiday to my honorable nairaland family,
We wish you all a memorable holiday.

Enjoy the rest.

Please call us for all your energy solutions.

we also buy condemned/used inverter batteries.

Call/SMS 08020979952/08163169605
WhatsApp 08163169605
Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 8:11am On Jun 08, 2018
Happy weekend Nigeria,

We buy your used batteries at a very good price.
Call us today.

08163169605; 08020979952.

Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 7:27am On Sep 28, 2018
Good morning
Happy weekend nairalanders.

Now that the osun rerun has come and gone.

We wish to remind the general public that we are still Nigerian's number 1 Alternative energy company.

You can call for your solar, inverters, ups, charge controllers, batteries.

We are professional in sales, installation, repairs, maintenance and services.

We still buy use or scrab inverter batteries.

Call or WhatsApp 08163169605

Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 11:21pm On Mar 18, 2019
Call QSS for all your solar system solutions.

We are professionals in Alternative energy solutions.

Solar street lights, solar homes, inverters, batteries, controllers and dc products.

Call or WhatsApp us on 08163169605; 08020979952.

We also buy used inverter batteries.
Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 11:21pm On Mar 18, 2019
Call QSS for all your solar system solutions.

We are professionals in Alternative energy solutions.

Solar street lights, solar homes, inverters, batteries, controllers and dc products.

Call or WhatsApp us on 08163169605; 08020979952.

We also buy used inverter batteries.
Re: How Much Energy Will My Appliances Use Over A Given Period? by QuickStandard: 12:07am On Apr 26, 2019
For all your Uninterrupted Power Supply solutions, call or WhatsApp us, you can also send Email to Quickstandardsolutions@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

✈✳✅ Getting A 9hours Battery Life Laptop ( 2016 Dell Latitude E5470 Core I5 ) / First Bank Cardless Withdrawal – How To Get Money Without ATM Card / FREE NIGERIAN INSTAGRAM LIKES AND COMMENTS — PODDIN AFRICA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.