Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,349 members, 7,808,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

Culture Appropriation - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Culture Appropriation (786 Views)

Cultural Appropriation In Nollywood. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Culture Appropriation by Akeemqudsi(m): 5:47pm On May 04, 2017
Is it possible for an African American to appropriate west African culture? I would like everyone's opinion on this because i have a view but i dont want to influence anyone so i will hold it for now. But i will say that i don't think that it is as simple as it may seem.
Re: Culture Appropriation by bigfrancis21: 5:34am On May 05, 2017
Akeemqudsi:
Is it possible for an African American to appropriate west African culture? I would like everyone's opinion on this because i have a view but i dont want to influence anyone so i will hold it for now. But i will say that i don't think that it is as simple as it may seem.

Of course you can, once you put your mind into it anything is doable.
Re: Culture Appropriation by Akeemqudsi(m): 3:34pm On May 05, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Of course you can, once you put your mind into it anything is doable.

Thank you my dear brother, so you don't see a problem with an AA(Negro in America) adopting a specific culture of west Africa as thier own, whether it be wholly or merely adopting certain aspects such as morals, language, or even tying themselves to that particular ethnic group to build upon the AA's culture?
Re: Culture Appropriation by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 02, 2019
I'm very late in replying but I don't think there's a problem in adopting a west African culture especially as you're of WA descent. What matters is you do your research and ask questions if you're not sure how to go about incorporating cultural customs into your life and also learn when it's appropriate to. Like don't be the person who accidentally wears a wedding dress to the supermarket grin But as long as you adopt whatever culture it is with respect and you're open to constructive criticism, there really should be no problem and it shouldn't be seen as appropriation. If you have specific questions, Nairaland is a great place to ask if you're interested in Nigeria and also look up Nigerian communities or organizations where you live to see it firsthand. I hope this helped

(1) (Reply)

Welcome To Abuja A City Of Manholes / Empowerment Of The Black People | Purposeblack Celebrates Black History Month / Am Fly Gerian T-shirt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.