Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,797 members, 7,798,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

Windows Vista - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows Vista (1788 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Hp Deskjet D2360 Driver For Windows Vista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows Vista by funmise(f): 8:45pm On Jan 26, 2007
The new windows from microsoft (VISTA) is really great. Its gonna be launch in UK on the 30th of this month. It is quite different from all d softwares that has been launched.

Is anyone thinking of buying it?
Re: Windows Vista by sbucareer(f): 10:33am On Jan 27, 2007

I am waiting till 30th to go and buy Vista Ultimate from Pc World
Re: Windows Vista by hola2ng(m): 7:44pm On Jan 27, 2007
Re: Windows Vista by funmise(f): 3:44am On Jan 30, 2007
yeah its really expensive. d cheapest which is for upgrade is almost £100 but i think its worth it.
Re: Windows Vista by parosky(m): 9:36am On Jan 30, 2007
Nigeria based user will probably wait till like 2nd February. It is not likely to be at Ikeja before then, i.e the "low priced edition"
Re: Windows Vista by Douzy(m): 9:51am On Jan 30, 2007
Isn't Windows Vista a mere imitation of Mac OS X? I doubt if it's worth the number of years it took Microsoft to get it out, albeit behind schedule.
Re: Windows Vista by funmise(f): 12:03am On Jan 31, 2007
no its nt
Re: Windows Vista by Douzy(m): 12:05am On Jan 31, 2007
Go check and you would find out that Mac (OS X) users have already been enjoying for years the (new) features Windows Vista prides itself on.
Re: Windows Vista by funmise(f): 12:14am On Jan 31, 2007
ok
Re: Windows Vista by funmise(f): 12:15am On Jan 31, 2007
d (Vista's)entertainment feature is vry great though
Re: Windows Vista by Douzy(m): 12:26am On Jan 31, 2007
Yea, that's true, but hey, try Mac OS X (Leopard) someday! Anywayz, like someone noted, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."
Re: Windows Vista by kdships(m): 1:41pm On Jan 31, 2007
Microsoft have always been a copycat. That was how they started. There's no doubt about this fact. They got this concept from Apple. I don't think experienced Mac users will make any move. Who knows, Apple might come up with something new too.
Re: Windows Vista by sbucareer(f): 10:32pm On Feb 02, 2007

I am not a MAC OS user but I have heard good things about MAC OS particularly among graphic designers and anti MS. The rhetoric about Vista is the coming age of Dual processor into one chip and the infinite possibilities of 64-bits CPU compare to 4GB ALU in CPU, unlimited intensive applications like games, medical application i.e the genome and some powerful compilers and application server like Sun Java.

In the good old days we had 16/32-bits CPU and application. What it meant was that your application can only hold 4GB ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit) of integers, hence 2^32 = 4294967296. But imagine the amount of calculations your CPU can hold and process, hence 2^64 = 18446744073709551616, which is about 18PB (TB= Petabytes)

These sort of computer power will see us till the end of this century. Although applications of these sort are not very popular but I know that Microsoft Office 2007 is on 64bits version and 34bits version.

Although, MS are not the first people that started 64bits application business, AMD are the first company that first produced 64-bits CPU, the AMD-K6 because of its popularity in the gaming community.

Soon, Intel followed by producing Itanium and Xeon which are on both 32/64-bits binary integers. But they had bugs and never did hit the market like the AMD Athlon 64 etc.

Many companies started developing 64-bits application to take advantage of the 64-bit chips architecture. Now, Intel came with a new technology to combine two processor into one, providing L1 cache bridge and L2 cache bridge amalgamating it to produce L3 cache bridge that works simultaneously to produce a much powerful ALU at a beeps of 3.6GHz, that is mind blowing.

At the middle of all these inventions, Mr Gates as usual takes the advantage of these and produced series of OS called Vista to make full use of these hardware. I don't think for a bit that Mac OS is anywhere the same with Vista. There look and feel may look the same but the architecture of both are very disperse in nature.

Many hardware like [url=http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=define%3A+SLI]SLI (Scalable Link Interface)[/url], motherboards running at 1333Mhz, [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+Sata]Serial ATA[/url], [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+PCIE]PCIE[/url].

Take a look at the Gigabyte motherboard, every component is quad compactable.

Conclusion, MS vista is here to stay. In the next two years MS will stop all supports on their XP, Window 2003 etc and force everyone to upgrade or migrate to Vista. The only thing that is stopping me is hardware compatibility. The Vista RTM (Released To Manufacturing, a synonym of Gone gold.) to me is Vista OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). Many hardware manufacturer are working hard to make their hardware Vista compactable.

Moreover, I am still waiting for the first Vista service pack and probably lots of patches to any bugs that they may uncover before it is ultimately Gone Gold for me.
Re: Windows Vista by Neoteny(m): 2:45pm On Feb 15, 2007
@sbucarrer
your point is unclear to me, but the brunt of your argument seems to be that vista requires all these new hardware capabilities to run properly. if thats the case im afraid not so; vista runs on 500mhz front side bus as well as gigabyte mboards, and dual core (which is not the same as dual processor) is not a vista prerequisite. vista capable systems usdually have a minimum requirement of 1ghz single core cpu, 512mb ram and 128mb grafx ram (my vista release candidate ran on 64mb intel express). but vista ready systems require at least 1.8-2ghz solo core, 1gb ram, and a 256mb grafx chipset. this is because vista is mostly eyecandy and needs powerful grafx cards and directX 10 particularly for the new Aero style interface and Flip3D, which are sadly missing in basic vista designed for vista capable systems with the specs i mentioned above. therefore, vista is fully 32bit compliant.
yes a lot of vista components are ripped off from mac osx, but that isnt always a bad thing. apple too rips off ideas from other folks every now and then, so lets not chew off gates' head.
but why the mad dash for vista? winxp styill packs quite a punch and you can redo it into a perfect vista clone with Windows X's Vista transformation Pack 6.6. you get a pseudo-aero style transparency by way of glass 2k (which you can get stand alone from www.chime.tv)< you get vista style visual tooltip, styler's toolbar, vista sidebar widgets, vista logon screen, vista sounds and wallpapers, icons, visual styles, even vista bootscreen. frankly few people can tell you are running on xp rather than windows vista. its a cool shellpack. just google vtp 6.6, or vista transformation pack 6.6.
be warned: once you install vtp 6.6, you can uninstall ONLY if you have a win xp recovery disc.
Re: Windows Vista by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 16, 2007
why don't you go to download.com and read up the reviews there?it seems most hardcore/advanced computer users do not find anything particularly impressive about vista.plus- don't be fooled, a LOT of your applications will probably not run all that well on vista. i'd say wait till sp1 comes out.
also, remember that those wonderful graphics of vista come with a price-if you don't have an optimum/recommended configuration(not a minimum configuration) u'll have a lot of hang time on your pc, cheers. smiley
Re: Windows Vista by sbucareer(f): 7:05pm On Feb 17, 2007

@Neoteny
Thanks for your comment. Although, [url=http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=define%3A+dual+core]dual core[/url] and dual processor are comparatively the same. Dual core could be seen as one chip on a circuit board while dual processor could be seen as a two chips on a circuit board.

Furthermore, I personally do not see any correlation between Mac and Vista. For me MS Vista is a direct challenge to 64-bits chips architecture like Dual core 2 E series and better gaming with directX 10.

But it be nice  to hear a supporting story with evidence that Vista copied some features of Mac
Re: Windows Vista by texazzpete(m): 11:17am On Feb 18, 2007
Why would anyone want to run a vista transformation pack and take a hit on their RAM? Don't any of y'all game?

It's about time we all stopped believing this 'mac is good for video editing and 3d' bullcrap! In a recent interview with one movie magazine, an Industrial Light and Magic exec said that they do all their work on windows pcs.
Industrial Light and Magic, BTW, is the world biggest and most famous 3d and video editing company. They did all the work on all the Star Wars and Jurassic Park among many many other films.
I wont be surprised if there's no Mac to be found in Pixar!

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Different Between Pentium 4 And Pentium M Motherboard / Tablets: Samsung Galaxy Pad vs Ipad / Western Union Bug And Pack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.