Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? (19667 Views)

What Course Did You Study In The Tertiary Institution And What's your job now? / 10 Popular Courses You Can Study If You Want To Avoid Mathematics / What Course Would You Have Studied Apart From Your Current Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Nobody: 11:25am On May 05, 2017
Heylius:
Can Someone Who Did Art Subjects In Sec Sch Study Computer Science? Someone Should Ans Me Pls.
not possible.. .. You need physics, maths in your o level and jamb.... Programming.. Yes.. Anyone can study programming provided you have passion for it
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by treach(m): 11:42am On May 05, 2017
Environmental science and still going to study it start next section...
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by chiscodedon(m): 11:55am On May 05, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

You need to differentiate Computer Science from programming.

Programming involves creating software.

Computer Science is the study of the theory and practice of computation; it is possible to be a computer scientist without knowing how to program well, it is possible to major in a branch of computer science that does not even deal with computers!

The best programmers in the world are termed '10x' programmers. More than half never studied CS in school. Two-thirds of startup founders are self taught.

The main value of a CS degree is job security in an academic environment and skills for advanced theoretical work.
In fact, except in exceptional cases, Google, FB, Amazon, MSoft and other big tech companies really do not emphasize your degree in their interview process.

David Karp(Tumblr), Kevin Systrom(Instagram), Jan Koum(WhatsApp), Ron Wayne(Apple), Bill Gates(Microsoft), John Carmack, Erin Parker(SpitFire), Jack Dorsey(Twitter), Mark Zuckerberg(FaceBook) and many many others are self taught programmers.

If you are serious about learning computer Science and programming go for it. Of course formal learning in an academic environment is great, but if you do not have the money or time for formal schooling DIY.

Start here to each yourself computer Science: https://teachyourselfcs.com/

Would love contacting u
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by omgismholly(f): 12:01pm On May 05, 2017
genetics.but not in african uni tho
just love that part of science#toomuchsci-fi films
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by chiscodedon(m): 12:09pm On May 05, 2017
Nickizoe:
Mathematics....
Nix one,won't regret it a bit...would like having intellectual beings like u in my field. The course makes u versatile and analytic

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Larrywax2016: 12:27pm On May 05, 2017
Any of the Health Sciences...Doc, Nurse or Med Lab. I sometimes feel ave wasted 5years(+strike) going through the university. I have made millions without ever using the certificate for once! Creativity is the highway to making money!

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Nickizoe(f): 12:30pm On May 05, 2017
chiscodedon:

Nix one,won't regret it a bit...would like having intellectual beings like u in my field. The course makes u versatile and analytic
Really if i have the opportunity again, i will do that... Have seen alot of series and movies where they solve,analys crime using numbers.....
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by olaboy33(m): 1:06pm On May 05, 2017
HAH:
Law.

Infact am planning to study it as a matured student soon

same here bro...

currently studying engineering.... planning to go back to school as soon as am done
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by ideseye: 1:15pm On May 05, 2017
I would have studied Psychology or Law. Impacts mor on the society than Maths/Statistics
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by ncoolsome(m): 1:28pm On May 05, 2017
Geography instead of urban n regional planning cuz it was a professional course...cuz am simply good at it..
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by cooljoe(m): 1:50pm On May 05, 2017
medicine. I just luv it. might still go in for it sef

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 05, 2017
Will still stick with my CSE...love the course...if there's something i can go back to change,it would be the school
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Marrtynze(m): 4:55pm On May 05, 2017
Medicine tbh, wrote Jamb four times cos of that career, was obsessed with it, still didn't get to be one, I bet God had better plans for me, no regrets though, really living the life as a Data and Systems Analyst now

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by giftedheart1(m): 6:01pm On May 05, 2017
damosky12:

The mother of all disciplines! If only more people knew the importance of this course.
my guy... How I wish!
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by dehi: 6:54pm On May 05, 2017
Computer engineering grin grin
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by dehi: 6:55pm On May 05, 2017
Na so
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by peacesamuel94(m): 7:01pm On May 05, 2017
Astronomy.
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Ugosample(m): 7:04pm On May 05, 2017
musicwriter:
Igbo literature, Yoruba language, and one other African language.

Linguistics in our native languages is dead, because we're busy adoring English like slaves. Someone who love his people should have their children study these things, otherwise, in future our descendants would become foreigners right here in Africa.

This guy again undecided

Go and sit down joor
Singapore that English is their mode of education nko, are they not going forward?

Ireland that has Gaelic as its native language, how many Irish people can speak Gaelic today Is it not English?

yet are they not developed?
Don't they have their own identity?

There are other examples but I will not go into that

A serious country is a serious country, language or not.

India used English in their educational system, and they produced Bhatia, Gujarati and other gurus in the academia, medicine and other fields,

That said, I see you are enthusiastic about African languages which is good, but quit that condescending talk grin
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Ugosample(m): 7:30pm On May 05, 2017
Tobium1:
Optometry, lots of visually impaired pple with no one to give dem affordable healthcare. I will raise a foundation for dat

I like this
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by musicwriter(m): 7:32pm On May 05, 2017
Ugosample:

This guy again undecided

Go and sit down joor
Singapore that English is their mode of education nko, are they not going forward?

Ireland that has Gaelic as its native language, how many Irish people can speak Gaelic today Is it not English?

yet are they not developed?
Don't they have their own identity?

There are other examples but I will not go into that

A serious country is a serious country, language or not.

India used English in their educational system, and they produced Bhatia, Gujarati and other gurus in the academia, medicine and other fields,

That said, I see you are enthusiastic about African languages which is good, but quit that condescending talk grin

There's a reason Singapore developed. Singapore is a country of just 5 million people and about half of them are foreigners from English speaking countries. They didn't develop because they speak English, they developed because back in the days they had a good policy that fish-out the best brains from English speaking countries and have them come invest or work in Singapore. There was actually a time it became a problem. It became a problem because over 50% of the population became foreigners outnumbering the natives.

There's no difference between development in Bonny Island in Nigeria and Singapore. If you do your research you'll discover both Bonny Island and Singapore developed for the same reason- because of influx of qualified expatriates and investors.

Regarding Ireland, that doesn't deserve a reply. Ireland is a European country next door to Britain and they have same ancestory. There's nothing wrong their speaking the same language.
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Ugosample(m): 7:37pm On May 05, 2017
musicwriter:

There's a reason Singapore developed. Singapore is a country of just 5 million people and about half of them are foreigners from English speaking countries. They didn't develop because they speak English, they developed because back in the days they had a good policy that fish out the best brains from English speaking countries and have them come invest or work in Singapore. There was actually a time it became a problem. It became a problem because over 50% of the population became foreigners outnumbering the natives.

There's no difference between development in Bonny Island in Nigeria and Singapore. If you do your research you'll discover both Bonny Island and Singapore developed for the same reason- because of influx of qualified expatriates.

Regarding Ireland, that doesn't deserve a reply. Ireland is a European country next door to Britain and they have same ancestory. There's nothing wrong their speaking the same language.

grin grin

what is not your native language is not your native language grin grin

The same way many minority tribes are losing their language to Hausa is the same way many across Africa are losing theur language to English/French, and the same way Ireland has lost Gaelic to English, and Wales, losing Welsh to English (to a lesser extent tho)

Whether you lose your language to a neighbouring language or faraway language, the point is that you have lost it tongue
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by musicwriter(m): 7:54pm On May 05, 2017
Ugosample:

grin grin

what is not your native language is not your native language grin grin

The same way many minority tribes are losing their language to Hausa is the same way many across Africa are losing theur language to English/French, and the same way Ireland has lost Gaelic to English, and Wales, losing Welsh to English (to a lesser extent tho)

Whether you lose your language to a neighbouring language or faraway language, the point is that you have lost it tongue

Please note that you're not talking to some novice who haven't researched these things.

Distance between Wales and London is 262 km= 163 miles.

Distance between Ireland and London is 591 km= 367 miles.

Compare with distance between Lagos and Abuja which is 533 km= 331 miles. Whales and Ireland is exactly within the same region. They're people of same ancestory!!. All of the United Kingdom could be put inside Nigeria.

Aren't you ashamed someone came all the way from Europe and gave you a language in Nigeria? How many African languages does Europe have as their official language?

Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Ugosample(m): 8:31pm On May 05, 2017
musicwriter:

Please note that you're not talking to some novice who haven't researched these things.

Distance between Wales and London is 262 km= 163 miles.

Distance between Ireland and London is 591 km= 367 miles.

Compare with distance between Lagos and Abuja which is 533 km= 331 miles. Whales and Ireland is exactly within the same region. They're people of same ancestory!!. All of the United Kingdom could be put inside Nigeria.

Aren't you ashamed someone came all the way from Europe and gave you a language in Nigeria? How many African languages does Europe have as their official language?

Oga that is not the point

Okay, let us use your analogy

What is the distance between Kano and Southern Bauchi?
Yet Hausa has overrun them too

Forget that thing.
If a Southern Bauchi guy is losing his language to Hausa from Kano (Kananchi) or English or French
the point is he has still lost the language

Simple
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 05, 2017
Jiang:

This is the most sensible comment here, you make sense well well.

some people just think they gona live 4ever, so they waste decades acquiring diffrent degress

Some people have equally spent years without acquiring degrees or money, just follow your heart. Not having people who sacrifice to do research and advanced studies is one of the major reasons Africa is way behind the rest of the world, do you know that? Everyone is chasing money, where has that gotten us? Had it been the people who developed antimalarials did not go into advanced studies because "they won't live forever", you'd probably have died of malaria by now. Just follow your hrt and leave others.
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by musicwriter(m): 9:20pm On May 05, 2017
Ugosample:

Oga that is not the point

Okay, let us use your analogy

What is the distance between Kano and Southern Bauchi?
Yet Hausa has overrun them too

Forget that thing.
If a Southern Bauchi guy is losing his language to Hausa from Kano (Kananchi) or English or French
the point is he has still lost the language

Simple

Again, these are same people!!. Hausa and Fulani's can relate to each other culturally and can speak each others language naturally.

Unlock yourself brother, cause I can see you're in a serious dark state.

We have nothing in common with Europe!!.
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by oodua1stson: 10:30pm On May 05, 2017
Lawyer. That's what my wanted me to be and I've never lost an argument
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by Ugosample(m): 11:07pm On May 05, 2017
musicwriter:

Again, these are same people!!. Hausa and Fulani's can relate to each other culturally and can speak each others language naturally.

Unlock yourself brother, cause I can see you're in a serious dark state.

We have nothing in common with Europe!!.

Oga you don't know what you are saying.

Those from southern bauchi are not fulani or Hausa, different people, yet many communities there have lost their language to the Hausa wave.
There is NOTHING in common between Hausa and Fulani, Fulani people waka come from wherever they came from and settled with the Hausa people, they may share the same religion, but are not the same people at all

Most Fulanis speak Hausa in Nigeria, and many cannot speak Fulfulde.
Even the tribes in Kebbi, Niger, etc have lost their language ti Hausa in varying degrees.

And I'm saying for the third time, that Losing
heritage language is losing your heritage language, no matter the language it was lost to.
Simple

That's it
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by musicwriter(m): 11:19pm On May 05, 2017
Ugosample:

Oga you don't know what you are saying.

Those from southern bauchi are not fulani or Hausa, different people, yet many communities there have lost their language to the Hausa wave.
There is NOTHING in common between Hausa and Fulani, Fulani people waka come from wherever they came from and settled with the Hausa people, they may share the same religion, but are not the same people at all

Most Fulanis speak Hausa in Nigeria, and many cannot speak Fulfulde.
Even the tribes in Kebbi, Niger, etc have lost their language ti Hausa in varying degrees.

And I'm saying for the third time, that Losing
heritage language is losing your heritage language, no matter the language it was lost to.
Simple

That's it

I can't understand how a Nigerian tribe speaking the language of a neighboring tribe or even losing it, amounts to the same thing as Africa adopting European languages as our official languages across Africa. If that means the same thing to you, so be it.
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by AleeDee(m): 12:02am On May 06, 2017
OrestesDante:
Pure Mathematics. And part time programmer.

Studied computer science bt fell in luv with math while in level 2 nd loved programming classes. Pure math will be my 2nd degree too
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by pennywys(m): 12:38am On May 06, 2017
Mammangaddafi:
hahahaha. Chemistry graduate forming a Dr.
I can imagine how stupid you are
Re: What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? by oadewale(m): 11:11am On May 07, 2017
Themainchick11:
yup graduated tho
when did u graduate?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Futo to Begins Sales Of 2014/2015 Post Ume Form / Covenant, UNN Break Into Times Higher Education (THE) Top 1000 World Rankings / Physically-Challenged Ahmad Suyudi Graduates From Cyprus University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.