Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting (25954 Views)

See Things To Avoid When Pregnant / 10 Common Drugs To Avoid During Pregnancy!!! / FG Donates Made-in-nigeria Drugs To Cameroon's Train Accident Victims (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by michaelo2(m): 9:36am On May 06, 2017
If you are expecting especially if you have waited so long to conceive, you are probably confused about a lot of things after reading all sorts, how and what to eat, hiw to sleep, group meetings to attend, and mostly which medications to avoid during pregnancy.

The general rule is to avoid all over-the-counter medications during the first 8 weeks of pregnancy, because during that time, the baby's heart, lungs, and brain are formed.
But as the fetus grows and develops, there are certain types of medications you should really avoid throughout your pregnancy, as they could harm the fetus at any stage of development.

1. Antihistamines
Most antihistamines should be avoided. If you are suffering from allergies, you should try to avoid your allergy triggers as much as possible.

2. Antifungals
If you have a yeast infection during your pregnancy, consult your OB/GYN for a remedy. Some OTC yeast infection remedies are not cleared for use during pregnancy.

3. Painkillers
If you are suffering from headaches during pregnancy, most painkillers such as ibuprofen are off-limits. Seek alternative therapies, such as reflexology or massage.

4. Acne Medications
Most prescription acne medications, such as Accutane and Retin-A, are not safe to use during pregnancy. As your hormones adjust, you may find your skin clearing naturally.

5. Antibiotics
If you require a cycle of antibiotics during your pregnancy, your doctor will choose one that is safe. Tetracycline and Streptomycin are not OK to use.

6. Anticonvulsants
Some anticonvulsants are not safe to take, such as Diazepam or Clonazepam. If you need anticonvulsants, work with your doctor to find a prescription that has been cleared for use by pregnant women.

7. MAO Inhibitors
Antidepressants that have MAO inhibitors, such as Isocarboazid or Phenelzine, are not safe to use when pregnant. It's not uncommon to experience depression during pregnancy, so if you are in need of an antidepressant, your doctor will find one that is safe to use.

http://www.healththismoment.com/2017/05/7-type-of-drugs-to-avoid-during-pregnancy.html?m=1

cc: lalasticlala mynd44 Dominique

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by Akinaukwa: 9:40am On May 06, 2017
Quite educative.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by aquadude15: 9:41am On May 06, 2017
OK
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by Officially6: 9:42am On May 06, 2017
Ok
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by WHOcarex: 9:42am On May 06, 2017
sad
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by Akinaukwa: 9:42am On May 06, 2017
Whaat? Ftc. Pls lala need to send you my acct number. Shout out to all who are optimistic that Nigeria shall be great again.

1 Like

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by glosplendid(f): 9:43am On May 06, 2017
Wow...nice one

1 Like

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by Horllaittan(f): 9:44am On May 06, 2017
Noted!

2 Likes

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by joey150(m): 9:44am On May 06, 2017
The thread title: Drugs to avoid when you are expecting? Expecting what grin?

Anyway am sure the pregnant mothers can hear you loud and clear.

1 Like

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by peacettw: 9:45am On May 06, 2017
Nice one. Also avoid Septrin in your last trimester, it can lead to blood loss and jaundice or yellow eyes in your baby.

Avoid herbal medications. Your body may be able to handle it but your baby can't thus damaging his or her little organs.

Do you want your baby to have a decreased risk of being deformed? Well, just make sure you take folic acid (the tiny yellow tablet) in the first 3 months of your pregnancy.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by Tenim47(m): 9:49am On May 06, 2017
jst tell them to start using herbs. shikena
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by rosieflower2(f): 9:50am On May 06, 2017
Till den
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by foyeks2001(f): 9:50am On May 06, 2017
Thanks Op....although I don't take any medication without the Doctor's prescription.... learnt that from my mom....I'm expecting my third child, still in my first trimester sha....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by sms87: 9:51am On May 06, 2017
so educative
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by claremont(m): 9:53am On May 06, 2017
Nigerians have got a very strange way of using the English language. "Drugs to avoid when expecting" should be "Drugs to avoid when pregnant or trying to get pregnant".

1 Like

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by buffalowings: 9:55am On May 06, 2017
Tenim47:
jst tell them to start using herbs.
shikena
Behave
Don't let me vex for you this morning

Stop posting rubbish

Infact I Don vex

While hospitals are battling with the uptick in the number of cases of kidney failure and liver disease
Here you're promoting the use of these herbs

3 Likes

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by dapizy02(m): 9:57am On May 06, 2017
Wat about for the expectant Fathers... expectin to chuk small small girls chuku chuku...?
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by Nobody: 9:59am On May 06, 2017
Bookmarked
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by Nobody: 10:01am On May 06, 2017
My research project: caffeine is the most widely abused drug women use during pregnancy

1 Like

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by tete7000(m): 10:03am On May 06, 2017
Simple truth: Take no medication without doctor's approval.

1 Like

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by kinguwem: 10:24am On May 06, 2017
Most drug manufacturers will always document that their product is
contraindicated in pregnancy to avoid litigations because of no prior trials in pregnant women.
However the FDA classification is used to administer drugs to pregnant women.
Class A: safe in pregnancy; multivitamins, some antibiotics e.g. penicillins, analgesics . e.g. paracetamol
Class B: safe in animals, researh not done in humans
Class C: has detrimental effect but benefit outweighs the risk; most drugs used in pregnancy
Class D: risks outweighs the benefit
Class X: not safe, absolutely contraindicated in pregnancy e.g. cytotocic drugs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by eddyline(m): 10:27am On May 06, 2017
there is what is called risk_ benefit ratio in drug administration. if the potential benefit outweighs the risk then some of the drugs mentioned above are being given. example is the case of diazepam. I've seen it being prescribed for a lot of pregnant women

1 Like

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by peacettw: 10:54am On May 06, 2017
Ceejayo:
My research project: caffeine is the most widely abused drug women use during pregnancy

This too. I avoid coffee during pregnancy and alcohol. Intact if truth be told, I usually go to the extreme as I prefer to use the mildest of soaps, avoid body creams or face wash, till I put to bed.
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by gbaskiboy: 10:54am On May 06, 2017
This one is strictly for expectant mother. BTW in summary before taking any drug during your pregnancy see your doctor

1 Like

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by gbaskiboy: 10:55am On May 06, 2017
tete7000:
Simple truth: Take no medication without doctor's approval.
send me your account details you are right grin
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by Horus(m): 11:00am On May 06, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2otn2-MSRg

Pregnant,Black woman, what should you do during pregnancy
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by adekhingz(m): 11:14am On May 06, 2017
Nice one.@OP. And just in case of any post partum (after delivery) bleeding that is excessive, go to the hospital with miso-fem (misoprostol) tablet. u may not really need it cos
most clinics and maternity centres have it already. ***just in case of emergency
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by adekhingz(m): 11:17am On May 06, 2017
gbaskiboy:
send me your account details you are right grin
make I send. my own na, since him no gree send him own..... ###kikilkiki

1 Like

Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by adesewa4uyahoo(f): 11:18am On May 06, 2017
Kai to take paracetamol sef dey scare me.... I will rather go to my doctor.
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by adekhingz(m): 11:20am On May 06, 2017
dapizy02:
Wat about for the expectant Fathers... expectin to chuk small small girls chuku chuku...?

tell him!!!
go and marry another wife. leave our young girls alone
Re: Drugs To Avoid When You Are Expecting by michaelo2(m): 11:24am On May 06, 2017
claremont:
Nigerians have got a very strange way of using the English language. "Drugs to avoid when expecting" should be "Drugs to avoid when pregnant or trying to get pregnant".
nigerians? have you watched the movie what to expect when you are expecting or even read the book. are they nigerians? please widen your horizon

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boy Suffers Ruptured Intestines After Father’s Brutality (pictured) / Why Have Nurses In Most Hospitals Lost Their Conscience And Without Sympathy? / See The Colour Of The Water In Some Waterways In Yaba, Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.