Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,767 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing (17980 Views)

Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data / If You Want Your Phone Battery To Last Long: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing / Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by soldierdollar(m): 10:14pm On May 06, 2017
Battery life has been a major concern for android users. Many theories about battery life extension have been formulated and it is no surprise that smart phone users follow them religiously in the bid to prolong the life span of their batteries without bothering to check the authenticity of such theories. Hacks Undiluted has analyzed some of these claims and has decided to throw more light on them.
Myth 1: The higher the Mah rating of a battery, the longer the smart phone stays on.

Smart phone batteries are modeled to suit the phone hardware. The battery consumption of a phone is determined by how much hardware it contains and the efficiency of these hardwares. A phone which is likely to consume more power is matched with a high capacity battery in order to prolong its 'On time'. High capacity batteries are usually found in larger phones and tablets/Ipads. However, a phone which uses a lower rated battery does not imply that the battery will drain faster. In fact, a smart phone with a smaller rated battery may stay on, longer than that 'beasty' battery powered phones. This is because the device economizes the battery juices owing to its hardware efficiency and probably fewer hardware components. Just as we cannot say that heavy duty vehicles utilizing bigger engines means they run faster than SUVs with relatively small engines, we also cannot say the same for phones utilizing 'bigger' batteries. So do not get startled when phone manufacturers list a 'beasty' battery as one of its strong points as it could mean the phone needs it to compensate for its high energy consumption. Also, do not let the 'low' rating of a phone's battery discourage you from buying it as many will quickly say, "I'm not buying! The battery rating is too poor!" Don't crucify the innocent phone because of its efficiency.
Don't get me wrong. I never said a phone utilizing a high rated battery means it is inefficient neither did I say that a phone which runs on a lower rated battery implies it is more efficient than its former counterpart.. all I'm trying to discourage is the hasty generalization of cell phone's battery rating determining its life. A very efficient phone on a high power battery is plus but do not judge a book by its cover.

Myth 2: Killing running tasks/apps saves the battery.

While this may be true for laptop computers, it is a pure lie for smart phones. In the case of smart phones, once an application is minimized, it becomes 'frozen'; it ceases to make use of the CPU until it is reopened and hence, does not impact on the battery. When an application is opened, it is loaded in the RAM to be processed. The phone is programmed to automatically kill some tasks to free the RAM if it discovers it is running out of RAM. When you kill these apps by yourself, you in fact kill the battery as extra juice is pulled from the battery (to load the apps on the RAM) next time you decide to reopen it. Why not allow the phone to do its job ? After all, that's why its smart.
Because applications only run only when it is loaded in the RAM, some applications( like whatsapp, playstore,messaging apps, etc) find their way to the RAM and hide in the background because of the way they are programmed. These applications consume a lot of battery and they are they should be the source of your worry.On Android, you can disable background apps by going to your Settings > Wireless & networks > Data usage and set “Allow background data” to “Restrict background data".However, disabling background apps could make them to malfunction. Do it at your discretion.

Myth 3: Charging your battery overnight or overcharging it can kill battery life.
This used to be true for older batteries and technology. Smart phones have inbuilt technology that helps regulate the charging. Once the battery is charged fully, the feedback mechanism stops the charging process; protecting the battery from being overheated from over charging. Once it is detected that the battery level is below 100%, the charging process is triggered again ; keeping the battery level at equilibrium. This series of discharging and and charging however impacts on the lifespan of the battery, but the impact is not significant enough to effect any noticeable drop in the lifespan.

Myth 4: You can prolong your battery life by installing battery savers
I consider the battery saving apps as malwares because they cause more harm than good. They take a chunk of your RAM, overwork your CPU and pushes up unsolicited ads on your screen while doing virtually nothing other than kill apps. Battery saver apps working technique is premised on the ideology that killing tasks help prolong battery life- this, we have disproved in myth 2.Don't mind the fancy interfaces of the so-called battery savers. Some of these apps claim to fasten the charging rate; a lie from the pit of hell. They will rather kill your battery and block your screen with crazy ads.

I hope you found this article interesting. In my next post, I will writing on practices that will improve your battery life.Stay tuned and always remember to encourage me by sharing my articles with your friends.

Thanks.

Source: http://www.hacksundiluted.cf/2017/05/smart-phone-battery-myth-we-should-stop.html

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Dopeyomi(m): 10:16pm On May 06, 2017
hmmmmmm

AhdOnBelive No .2

2 Likes

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Qudbell(m): 10:18pm On May 06, 2017
make brain
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by kingobozy: 10:40pm On May 06, 2017
You've made some solid point op. Smart phones are called smart for a reason. I have a habit of charging my devices overnight and I've noticed no decline in my battery's performance and yes battery saver apps are nothing but BS. iPhone 6s has a battery capacity of about 2000mAh but e dey last die.

8 Likes

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by soldierdollar(m): 10:52pm On May 06, 2017
lalasticlala
mynd44
ishilov
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by echepops(m): 10:18am On May 07, 2017
soldierdollar:
Battery life has been a major concern for android users. Many theories about battery life extension have been formulated and it is no surprise that smart phone users follow them religiously in the bid to prolong the life span of their batteries without bothering to check the authenticity of such theories. Hacks Undiluted has analyzed some of these claims and has decided to throw more light on them.
Myth 1: The higher the Mah rating of a battery, the longer the smart phone stays on.

Smart phone batteries are modeled to suit the phone hardware. The battery consumption of a phone is determined by how much hardware it contains and the efficiency of these hardwares. A phone which is likely to consume more power is matched with a high capacity battery in order to prolong its 'On time'. High capacity batteries are usually found in larger phones and tablets/Ipads. However, a phone which uses a lower rated battery does not imply that the battery will drain faster. In fact, a smart phone with a smaller rated battery may stay on, longer than that 'beasty' battery powered phones. This is because the device economizes the battery juices owing to its hardware efficiency and probably fewer hardware components. Just as we cannot say that heavy duty vehicles utilizing bigger engines means they run faster than SUVs with relatively small engines, we also cannot say the same for phones utilizing 'bigger' batteries. So do not get startled when phone manufacturers list a 'beasty' battery as one of its strong points as it could mean the phone needs it to compensate for its high energy consumption. Also, do not let the 'low' rating of a phone's battery discourage you from buying it as many will quickly say, "I'm not buying! The battery rating is too poor!" Don't crucify the innocent phone because of its efficiency.
Don't get me wrong. I never said a phone utilizing a high rated battery means it is inefficient neither did I say that a phone which runs on a lower rated battery implies it is more efficient than its former counterpart.. all I'm trying to discourage is the hasty generalization of cell phone's battery rating determining its life. A very efficient phone on a high power battery is plus but do not judge a book by its cover.

Myth 2: Killing running tasks/apps saves the battery.

While this may be true for laptop computers, it is a pure lie for smart phones. In the case of smart phones, once an application is minimized, it becomes 'frozen'; it ceases to make use of the CPU until it is reopened and hence, does not impact on the battery. When an application is opened, it is loaded in the RAM to be processed. The phone is programmed to automatically kill some tasks to free the RAM if it discovers it is running out of RAM. When you kill these apps by yourself, you in fact kill the battery as extra juice is pulled from the battery (to load the apps on the RAM) next time you decide to reopen it. Why not allow the phone to do its job ? After all, that's why its smart.
Because applications only run only when it is loaded in the RAM, some applications( like whatsapp, playstore,messaging apps, etc) find their way to the RAM and hide in the background because of the way they are programmed. These applications consume a lot of battery and they are they should be the source of your worry.On Android, you can disable background apps by going to your Settings > Wireless & networks > Data usage and set “Allow background data” to “Restrict background data".However, disabling background apps could make them to malfunction. Do it at your discretion.

Myth 3: Charging your battery overnight or overcharging it can kill battery life.
This used to be true for older batteries and technology. Smart phones have inbuilt technology that helps regulate the charging. Once the battery is charged fully, the feedback mechanism stops the charging process; protecting the battery from being overheated from over charging. Once it is detected that the battery level is below 100%, the charging process is triggered again ; keeping the battery level at equilibrium. This series of discharging and and charging however impacts on the lifespan of the battery, but the impact is not significant enough to effect any noticeable drop in the lifespan.

Myth 4: You can prolong your battery life by installing battery savers
I consider the battery saving apps as malwares because they cause more harm than good. They take a chunk of your RAM, overwork your CPU and pushes up unsolicited ads on your screen while doing virtually nothing other than kill apps. Battery saver apps working technique is premised on the ideology that killing tasks help prolong battery life- this, we have disproved in myth 2.Don't mind the fancy interfaces of the so-called battery savers. Some of these apps claim to fasten the charging rate; a lie from the pit of hell. They will rather kill your battery and block your screen with crazy ads.

I hope you found this article interesting. In my next post, I will writing on practices that will improve your battery life.Stay tuned and always remember to encourage me by sharing my articles with your friends.

Thanks.

Source: http://www.hacksundiluted.cf/2017/05/smart-phone-battery-myth-we-should-stop.html

Nice piece OP, but what makes Phone battery expand Because right now the battery of my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro battery has expanded in size and is making my device uncomfortable

1 Like

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by soldierdollar(m): 12:46pm On May 07, 2017
echepops:

Nice piece OP, but what makes Phone battery expand Because right now the battery of my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro battery has expanded in size and is making my device uncomfortable

It's caused by accumulation of gases produced as a result of electrochemical oxidation of the electrolyte .
Over charging causes the electrolyte to oxidize thereby leading to oxygen being produced and entrapped in the battery.

Over charging can be caused by a faulty battery, charger or a faulty electronic circuit that regulates the charging .

9 Likes

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by soldierdollar(m): 7:41am On May 08, 2017
Qudbell:
make brain

Thanks
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by soldierdollar(m): 6:01am On May 09, 2017
Dopeyomi:
hmmmmmm

AhdOnBelive No .2

State your reasons
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by mayorjosh(m): 7:21am On May 09, 2017
iPhones are the worst

You no go use phone enter 4 hours you go they see "10% remaining"

Btw it's my birthday folks!

25 Likes

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by FearFactor1: 7:22am On May 09, 2017
I talk am say dem no smart
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Goldenheart(m): 7:23am On May 09, 2017
embarassed
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Elnino4ladies: 7:23am On May 09, 2017
I love the last point
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by PattyCake: 7:23am On May 09, 2017
Actually closing up apps is not a myth...It Actually does save battery but I agree Battery savers are Trash ever since I switched to Android on the M8. My current Samsung Galaxy s7 has a built in Battery savers so that negates malware.

Your other points I will have to verify from multiple sources, I don't trust Nairaland Threads.

9 Likes

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by aragon4realz(m): 7:23am On May 09, 2017
I disagree with number 2 myth,I guess you haven't heard of auto sync,the worst battery drainer, try running Facebook,instagram,twitter, all at the same time in your background then come back to tell me about this myth again,by then you will realize that it's a fact,wanna save some battery just forceclose these apps and you will have a 2days battery life

9 Likes

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by ajalawole(m): 7:24am On May 09, 2017
#TeamNokia grin
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by michaelwilli(m): 7:26am On May 09, 2017
aragon4realz:
I disagree with number 2 myth
no b only u.op ain't heard of greenify

1 Like

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by princemillla(m): 7:28am On May 09, 2017
Good info
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by masada: 7:30am On May 09, 2017
waoh
nice article
a lot of people r guilty of number 4
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Suko110(m): 7:34am On May 09, 2017
Everything I hv read about batteries so far are contradictory, my final conclusion : if ur battery spoil discard by another one . Simple

1 Like

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by alabi484(m): 7:42am On May 09, 2017
Nice points
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Homeboiy: 7:43am On May 09, 2017
My galaxy s3 runs battery down,cant last for 1hr bt takes 6hrs to full
Any possibl solution
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by TerrorSquad147: 7:43am On May 09, 2017
Wetin concern me, as far as there's light and power bank, who needs "beasty" batteries undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by TerrorSquad147: 7:44am On May 09, 2017
Homeboiy:
My galaxy s3 runs battery down,cant last for 1hr bt takes 6hrs to full

Any possibl solution
your phone has expired grin

1 Like

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by mosalab(m): 7:45am On May 09, 2017
no 2 is not a myth
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by DonCortino: 7:48am On May 09, 2017
1, 2 and 3, fat lie!
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Homeboiy: 7:50am On May 09, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
your phone has expired grin
oga no b small expire oo
that phone irritates me
fine for eye, well i changed d panel that y
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by curvilicious: 7:51am On May 09, 2017
mayorjosh:

Btw it's my birthday folks!

Happy buttday bruv

2 Likes

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Histrings08(m): 7:51am On May 09, 2017
I once believed all dis crappie Buh not anymore... Thanks op

1 Like

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Adesege(m): 7:52am On May 09, 2017
wow

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

my etisalat social pak on psiphone is too slow whe downloading ols help / Top 5 Most Anticipated 5G Smartphones You Would Definitely See In 2019 / Five Reasons To Update Your Phone Software Regularly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.