Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,466 members, 7,781,351 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:59 PM

Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason (669 Views)

Obasanjo: As President I Didn't Pursue Personal Interests / Wike: I Am Not Sure Elections Will Hold In 2019 / "Mr President, I Am Not Lazy" - Plateau Polytechnic Graduate Who Makes Snacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by ariesbull: 5:17am On May 09, 2017
If I have the opportunity to govern Anambra State, for example, I am 120% certain that I will make such a mark that even the best Anambra State governor will be envious of my achievements. The reason is simple: Anambra State towns and villages have similar values in life. When you start a policy that agrees with their view, most people will support you. I will not be afraid of taking radical actions that will move the state forward for fear of not offending some sections. If Anambra were an independent nation, it would be easy to propel it to greatness because the people love excellence and have similar views of life.

This is true of many other states in Nigeria.

But if I get the opportunity to govern Nigeria, I cannot guarantee if I will excel despite all my hard work and good intentions. The reason is simple. With the exception of the gay issue, which Nigerians from North and South as well as Christians and Muslims agree on, there is no other issue Nigerians agree upon. If, for example, I push for restructuring, one section of the country will criticise me, while the other part will hail me. If I push for quota system, one part will hail me, while the other will demonise me. If I push for compulsory education or push for punishment for parents who refuse their children to go to school, one part will ask for my head on a platter, while the other part will applaud me. If I push for religion to be divorced from governance, one section will hail me while the other will condemn me.

Any appointment I make will be x-rayed, dissected and interpreted as pro-East, or pro-South or pro-Christianity or an attempt to please the North or Muslims so that they will like me.

Any action I take to move the country forward and pull it out of mediocrity and retrogression will be resisted by one part of the nation and hailed by the other part. Riots will break out and people will be killed so as to ensure that such policies are not implemented.

If you want peace to reign, you just let the status quo remain. And allowing the status quo to remain is equal to allowing the mediocrity, backwardness, and decay to continue.

So anybody hoping that a leader will emerge one day who will transform Nigeria is living in a fool’s paradise.

Structured as it is today, Nigeria can NEVER progress, no matter the good intentions and efforts of any leader. It is not lack of optimism or a curse but simple reality.

The North and the South have opposite and contrastive values on all issues in life except the gay issue.

Corruption is a big problem in Nigeria but it is not the most critical issue. Interestingly, something is fuelling the corruption as well as the non-patriotism, mediocrity, stagnation, backwardness, laziness, decay, intolerance, constant killings and lack of value for human lives bedevilling the nation. If you want to drastically reduce corruption, you must first kill why is causing it. If we don’t solve the fundamental problem causing the problems, we will continue hoping and praying in vain for some ruler to emerge one day and transform the nation.

Azuka Onwuka

http://etimes.com.ng/2017/05/08/will-i-make-a-good-nigerian-president-i-am-not-sure-because-of-this-reason/

3 Likes

Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by HungerBAD: 5:26am On May 09, 2017
ok

1 Like

Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by sarrki(m): 5:31am On May 09, 2017
He be like say he want to tell us another story again oo

Tuface
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by natznext(m): 5:44am On May 09, 2017
Hmmmn
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by kenoc: 5:56am On May 09, 2017
Truth.
Eziokwu kwuru oto. Nwa nnem oga adiri gi nma.
But now what is the way out?
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 6:02am On May 09, 2017
I dey tell you
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by Tolexander: 6:12am On May 09, 2017
The diversity in religion and tribe is a problem, but the bigger problem is the allowing the political class to use them as tools to get into power or fight their political enemies via "divide and rule".
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by kenny987(f): 6:38am On May 09, 2017
Tolexander:
The diversity in religion and tribe is a problem, but the bigger problem is the allowing the political class to use them as tools to get into power or fight their political enemies via "divide and rule".

That is what the op alludes to. The differences as a result of religion make the component units of Nigeria as divergent as oil and water, no meeting point or blend because we are not one! No unity of purpose or uniform goals whatsoever.
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by baylord101(m): 6:43am On May 09, 2017
Nice write up

Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by Nobody: 6:49am On May 09, 2017
PMB was so sure he could, yet he still failed let alone some dat is doubting himself from d onset.
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by austin2all: 6:51am On May 09, 2017
Everybody knows that the north is the problem of nigeria, yoruba, igbo other tribes and even the north themselves know this, and the bigger problem is our silence about this.
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by yhemsy62(m): 6:56am On May 09, 2017
OP is so much on point
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:57am On May 09, 2017
Beautiful, you couldn't have said it any better. We're not a united country with same values and dreams, just some bunch of people living in a country trying so hard not to kill each other. That's why splitting won't really be a bad idea for all the partyz involved.

1 Like

Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by Majesticniyi(m): 7:23am On May 09, 2017
Nigeria....a nation at war with herself cry
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by deedeedee1: 8:10am On May 09, 2017
This is why ethnic groups with similar culture, history and language should live together. In countries like this, competence is needed not sentiment. I would vote a better candidate in a yoruba country but in nigeria, i would rather vote my tribemen even if i know he will fail. There is no difference between tribalism and patriotism. They are simply the same.
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by mynd1(f): 8:12am On May 09, 2017
austin2all:
Everybody knows that the north is the problem of nigeria, yoruba, igbo other tribes and even the north themselves know this, and the bigger problem is our silence about this.
They there they blame north for ur problems, no go find something meaningful do with ur life! mtchewww!
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by Godfullsam(m): 8:13am On May 09, 2017
The only inevitable solution to our perennial problem is secession /breakup.

Our failure to share common values is a clear indication that we are not one.
Nigeria is not just a nation, Nigeria is a forcefully amalgamated nations.

The earlier we go our separate ways the better.

1 Like

Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by Ajibel(m): 8:26am On May 09, 2017
I really agree with this and that's why most times I turn away from the FG and blame our local political officers close to us i.e State governors and LG chairmen.

If they had used their resources judiciously in improving their economy and deliver the dividends of democracy, we wont feel much impact of the inactions of the FG.

But when you have a situation whereby both your state governor and the FG are just incompetent, talks of secession, restructuring and other sensible issues would always be on the front burner.
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by deedeedee1: 8:34am On May 09, 2017
Godfullsam:
The only inevitable solution to our perennial problem is secession /breakup.

Our failure to share common values is a clear indication that we are not one.
Nigeria is not just a nation, Nigeria is a forcefully amalgamated nations.

The earlier we go our separate ways the better.
Yes you are right. I do get suprise when people(even the so called educated ones) call nigeria a nation. They actually have no idea what a nation is. To me, nigeria is far from being a nation due to so much cultural and language difference. The british people that created this country never bothered. To them, they needed to expand their influence round the world. Many people who resist the disintegration of this country are ignorant people who do not care to know how nigeria was formed. The truth is, it was against our ancestors wish.
You cant live in a country not formed by your ancestors, neither should you use another man's language(e.g english ) to justify why a country should be called "one". Our fathers were all aware of this but they simply ignored it. The youths of today should not make the same mistake their fathers did, but instead learn from it. You cant carve indigeneous ethnic people with so much difference into one geigraphical area and expects things to go well. Such country will fail in every system.
SMH!!!
Re: Will I Make A Good Nigerian President? I Am Not Sure Because Of This Reason by austin2all: 8:54am On May 09, 2017
mynd1:
mynd44 rule 2 plss.

get lost boy

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Must Take A Decision On The Igbos. / Corruption Gets A Boost At Dino Melaye’s Book Launch By Joe Igbokwe / Read What Kanu Told Col. Achuzie Abt Negotiatn 4 His Release & D Biafra Struggle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.