Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,940 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand (3471 Views)

Free Advice To Tecno Managers On Nairaland / Possible Solution To Tecno Y2 Battery, Draining Fast. / Solution To Tecno L8 Charging Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Kenneth10110(m): 7:46pm On May 09, 2017
I feel. In all honesty, we all know Tecno Mobile saved us at a time when our lives were hinged on Blackberry. Tecno introduce its first Android smartphone late 2012 and I decided to ditch my Blackberry Curve 2 for it around January 2013 for Tecno N3. I was happy because I was able to own an Android phone for a relatively cheap price.
Back in 2012, you can’t buy a Samsung Android device as a student because you just can’t afford it. Tecno changed that and made the Android platform available to Nigerians, and Africa as a whole. Can we thank them enough ?
The Craze for the Latest OS
Tired of running Gingerbread, I decided to get rid of my Tecno N3 and got a Tecno P5. I was running Android 4.2.2 Jellybean. You see, for someone coming from a Blackberry Curve 2, I was fascinated with the world of Android and wanted to explore it as much as I could. My Tecno P5 was running Kitkat and I learned about rooting . That was when the fun really began.
As time went on, I decided I wanted a phone that could run Android Kitkat and couldn’t hold myself but to buy the upgraded P5, Tecno P5+. Ever since I started the Android journey, I’ve been a Tecno fan but unfortunately, my love for Tecno Mobile is dying.
When Tecno Phantom Z was released, I thought if I should buy the phone, I wouldn’t change my phone for a long time to come and took the plunge. I bought if for 63,000 naira on Jumia last year. It was the highest I have ever spent on a phone till date.
Fast forward to September 2015, I’m still on Kitkat!
Now my question is this: Why does Tecno Mobile fail to provide major software upgrades for its devices but decides to release new devices instead? I don’t get it but is this some sort of marketing strategy? Till date, I’m not sure any Tecno device has ever been upgraded from one Android version to another. Why is this so? Is this company exploiting Nigerians?
This suggests that when Tecno releases a phone, they have absolutely no plan for the phone. I don’t understand this. One thing they fail to see is that people are getting sick of this and there are threads on Nairaland that prove this.
A lot of people don’t know this but Infinix Mobility, another brand owned by Tecno Mobile’s parent company called Transsion Holdings, seems to have better marketing strategy. I checked their website and found out that apart from Tecno and Infinix, these guys also own iTel and Carlcare.
But, wait… since these two companies are somehow related, is this actually intentional?
Believe me, Tecno is losing it’s magic on me. I presently own Tecno Phantom Z but I swear it’s going to be my last Tecno phone if I don’t get a Lollipop update soon. I’m totally sick of changing my phone every now and then everytime there’s a new Android version.
I saw Tecno Camon C8 but then, it even runs an outdated version of Lollipop, 5.0.
Tecno Mobile should stop producing phones, slightly varying the specs and then forcing you to keep buying just to stay up to date. If this continues, other brands will take over and what Tecno built over the years may just be gone.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by ellagabs(f): 8:02pm On May 09, 2017
totaly tru, dey lack device-suport.
daz y i av neva bin temptd 2 use such phns(infinix, tecno, gionee, mbo, calcare, bla bla bla).
most phones nw recivs dia updates of android naugat or android zero.

1 Like

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Frazercrib(m): 8:59pm On May 09, 2017
True Although tecno camon c8 has marshmallow update
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Nobody: 9:08pm On May 09, 2017
am using phantom 6plus and no single OS upgrade since November

1 Like

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by donblazer10(m): 9:59pm On May 09, 2017
Camon CX has update

2 Likes

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Dam5reey(m): 10:13pm On May 09, 2017
bobot:

grin, OS upgrade will come on Phantom 7

2 Likes

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by chicwoman(f): 11:21pm On May 09, 2017
Hmm
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by paolokonqueror(m): 11:49pm On May 09, 2017
"I bought if for 63,000 naira on Jumia last year . It was the highest I have ever spent on a phone till date.
Fast forward to September 2015, I’m still on Kitkat!"

What year are we?

Besides how many people really want updates on their phones? An update on my previous Motorola crashed that shit at a point, I panicked.
The average Android user barely cares about software updates if we are actually being honest with ourselves.

9 Likes

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Dam5reey(m): 8:18am On May 10, 2017
paolokonqueror:
"I bought if for 63,000 naira on Jumia last year . It was the highest I have ever spent on a phone till date.
Fast forward to September 2015, I’m still on Kitkat!"

What year are we?

Besides how many people really want updates on their phones? An update on my previous Motorola crashed that shit at a point, I panicked.
The average Android user barely cares about software updates if we are actually being honest with ourselves.

That's what I tell people when I was a Tcno fan...

If they can't give OS upgrade, at least update the UI design, HIOs is a learning process for then sha,

I'm sure you can still upgrade HiOs self...
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by MizMyColi(f): 8:33am On May 10, 2017
A true fan has spoken.
Tecno should listen and do the needful.

Me, Ada, I'm indifferent to updates. Infact, I have used kitkat, lollipop, marshmallow and Nougat.

There is something about kitkat that still ticks the box for me.

1 Like

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by nurey(m): 12:43pm On May 10, 2017
The problem here is brand positioning. The only mobile phone producer that supports update is SONY any other manufacturer is nothing to write home about. Sony can support an outdated device for 3 consecutive OS infact i respect them.

The advantage samsung has over others is its popularity that is why i prefer to buy a UK used samsung flagship, it doesnt have to be the latest, it just has to have all the bells and whistles that will keep it in the game.

Thats why samsung has third party support, i use two two flagships manufactured in 2012 samsung NOTE II and samsung NOTE 10.1 2012 i run marshmallow 6.0 (ressurection remix rom) on the note II and i am about to upgrade the NOTE 10.1 to nougat though i think i will stick with 6.0 which is more stable.

if you are tech savvy and willing to take risk just read through CyanogenMod website and download their custom roms its easier to install on MTK devices than samsung and co because to root some samsung no be beans not to talk of unlocking the bootloader

1 Like

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by CarlcareOpebi(f): 1:41pm On May 10, 2017
bobot:
Hi @bobot Check there have been updates. A9 has not got Nougat yet though. What's the current Build Number on your phone?
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Abdstrakt(m): 2:46pm On May 10, 2017
Software updates come with bugs, most times i just stay on the OS the phone came preinstalled with because i know its stable, but that's just me.

5 Likes

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Techm8: 2:55pm On May 10, 2017
It's evident people want software updates, Tecno should just do the needful and provide it. They've gotten a lot right; price, design, durability and It won't be nice to see loyal fans jumping ship because of software updates.

3 Likes

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by omoalajah(m): 1:56pm On May 11, 2017
They should provide updates but another thing to consider is not everyone really likes upgrading as issues might arise after doing that. But anyways, TECNO should provide that and users should be able to upgrade at will.

2 Likes

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by datyorubaboy: 2:11pm On May 11, 2017
Well said bro. They just need to stat pushing updates
Techm8:
It's evident people want software updates, Tecno should just do the needful and provide it. They've gotten a lot right; price, design, durability and It won't be nice to see loyal fans jumping ship because of software updates.

1 Like

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by missslimzy(f): 2:29pm On May 11, 2017
You have spoken well
omoalajah:
They should provide updates but another thing to consider is not everyone really likes upgrading as issues might arise after doing that. But anyways, TECNO should provide that and users should be able to upgrade at will.

2 Likes

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by henry007(m): 2:54pm On May 11, 2017
I get the obsession with upgrades but seriously, it's an individual techy thing. To the average smartphone user, that's not enough reason to not buy a phone.

I've been using iPhone for a long time and with every upgrade, they'd be forcing you to upgrade your phone. Even the almighty Apple release upgrade wey dey downgrade battery. Now i don't change iPhone often because it doesn't get slow.....it's not because of upgrade that it doesn't get slow. It just doesn't, the OS works and is smooth. I feel the same way about the Android Nougat, that's the smoothest android OS since inception and it's the closes to the iPhone experience.

I've done a lot of phone comparisons and i know that the android Nougat is a battery saving beast compared to the marshmallow. Maybe in 2 years some other version would take the cake but it won't be any time soon if it's android as usual - Lollipop - marshmallow didn't see a huge leap. same as Jellybean- Kitkat.

I guess huge and significant upgrades happen every 2-3 years and the average person uses their device for that long which makes it not that big a deal for most peeps.

Also, TECNO would eventually push out updates, but i don't think they would go as far back as the 3 year old phantom Z or any Kit Kat device.

The camon CX already got 2 lite updates. We can only hope that they start with the Marshmallow devices.

3 Likes

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Behankey(m): 12:05pm On May 14, 2017
henry007:
I get the obsession with upgrades but seriously, it's an individual techy thing. To the average smartphone user, that's not enough reason to not buy a phone.

I've been using iPhone for a long time and with every upgrade, they'd be forcing you to upgrade your phone. Even the almighty Apple release upgrade wey dey downgrade battery. Now i don't change iPhone often because it doesn't get slow.....it's not because of upgrade that it doesn't get slow. It just doesn't, the OS works and is smooth. I feel the same way about the Android Nougat, that's the smoothest android OS since inception and it's the closes to the iPhone experience.

I've done a lot of phone comparisons and i know that the android Nougat is a battery saving beast compared to the marshmallow. Maybe in 2 years some other version would take the cake but it won't be any time soon if it's android as usual - Lollipop - marshmallow didn't see a huge leap. same as Jellybean- Kitkat.

I guess huge and significant upgrades happen every 2-3 years and the average person uses their device for that long which makes it not that big a deal for most peeps.

Also, TECNO would eventually push out updates, but i don't think they would go as far back as the 3 year old phantom Z or any Kit Kat device.

The camon CX already got 2 lite updates. We can only hope that they start with the Marshmallow devices.
You've said it all. Valid points too, really wish Tecno can roll out updates so that those clamouring for updates can have the choice of stepping up their OS

2 Likes

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Freelancerx: 1:06pm On May 14, 2017
I'm hoping Tecno as a brand improves in this regard. They've got everything, a software update will just be like the icing in the cake for the users.
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by paolokonqueror(m): 11:34am On May 27, 2017
I heard they have started rolling in updates on some devices like the CX
Dam5reey:

That's what I tell people when I was a Tcno fan...

If they can't give OS upgrade, at least update the UI design, HIOs is a learning process for then sha,

I'm sure you can still upgrade HiOs self...
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by paolokonqueror(m): 11:37am On May 27, 2017
Tbvh! I just like leaving what they felt was good enough while they created the phone, I no dey for my Yam no done
Abdstrakt:
Software updates come with bugs, most times i just stay on the OS the phone came preinstalled with because i know its stable, but that's just me.
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by dejiWEST: 11:54am On May 27, 2017
Tbvh, they have done so much to let something as ordinary as updates to lose it all
Techm8:
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by DavidoArsenal(m): 12:02pm On May 27, 2017
Spot on, spot on, knowing Tecno, I know it won't be long before they do the needful, as far as it's what the fans are clamoring for, I consider it done
MizMyColi:
A true fan has spoken.
Tecno should listen and do the needful.

Me, Ada, I'm indifferent to updates. Infact, I have used kitkat, lollipop, marshmallow and Nougat.

There is something about kitkat that still ticks the box for me.
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by DavidoArsenal(m): 12:05pm On May 27, 2017
Yup, they should just provide the updates, some people want it, have to give them
omoalajah:
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by dejiWEST: 12:07pm On May 27, 2017
They will, I feel really confident, e be like some phones don dey get updates sef
Freelancerx:
I'm hoping Tecno as a brand improves in this regard. They've got everything, a software update will just be like the icing in the cake for the users.
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by princemillla(m): 3:35pm On May 27, 2017
Techno ain't making any sense again.... Ask phantom users. No single OS upgrade available to them. My first and last techno is camon C9 tho I enjoyed the camera but it' lose value so fast.
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by shiftback: 8:05am On May 28, 2017
paolokonqueror:
I heard they have started rolling in updates on some devices like the CX
The CX have gotten a couple updates. They're for bug fixes though but it's still a step in the right direction.

1 Like

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Abdstrakt(m): 8:11am On May 28, 2017
paolokonqueror:
Tbvh! I just like leaving what they felt was good enough while they created the phone, I no dey for my Yam no done
Exactly. There's nothing better than a stable stock ROM.

1 Like

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Abdstrakt(m): 12:11pm On May 28, 2017
shiftback:

The CX have gotten a couple updates. They're for bug fixes though but it's still a step in the right direction.
It's good that they're releasing updates to fix bugs. I jus pray it can be updated to Android O Wen the time comes.

2 Likes

Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by pators(m): 5:57pm On May 28, 2017
tecno will not bring good update cuz Dey keep producing new models every month... if Dey bring updates, their sales for the New models will reduce... I own a LG phone of 2013 nd I still got update till lollipop
Re: My Special Advice To Tecno As A Brand by Techm8: 10:31pm On May 28, 2017
dejiWEST:
Tbvh, they have done so much to let something as ordinary as updates to lose it all
I want to believe they're listening.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Swap My Phone For A New One / Chinese Gift Card Vendors And Their Whatsapp Numbers / Phone Users: When Did You Visit Cyber-Cafe Last?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.