Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Shadows Of Pain - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Shadows Of Pain (949 Views)

Shadows Of Yesterday By Tiffanyj / Shadows Of The Green Part Two / Shadows Of The Green (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shadows Of Pain by Godsgal(f): 6:11pm On May 10, 2017
Hi NLers,
I am neither an art nor an english student. I just happen to have a strong love for reading which has encouraged me to try out on my writing skills. This particular story was concieved when on a sunny day, from the balcony where i work, across the street, i noticed a struggle between a poor beggar and a KAI Official... Before i let the cat out of the bag, I hope you enjoy every bit of the story.
Your constructive criticisms and encouragements will be my driving force. So i look forward to it.

All rights reserved.
No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical or by any information storage without the permission of the author. [b]Hi NLers,
I am neither an art nor an english student. I just happen to have a strong love for reading which has encouraged me to try out on my writing skills. This particular story was concieved when on a sunny day, from the balcony where i work, across the street, i noticed a struggle between a poor beggar and a KAI Official... Before i let the cat out of the bag, I hope you enjoy every bit of the story.
Your constructive criticisms and encouragements will be my driving force. So i look forward to it.

All rights reserved.
No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical or by any information storage without the permission of the author. [/b]Hi NLers,

All rights reserved.
No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical or by any information storage without the permission of the author.
Re: Shadows Of Pain by Godsgal(f): 7:52pm On May 10, 2017
EPISODE 1
I felt a tap on my shoulder just as i felt the tiny drizzle of raindrops on my head and then my eyes were flung open
'its time to go home' mama said.
'Such a long & tiring day' i thought to myself as i stretched, yawned and helped mama pick up our only possessions which consists a big food flask that was given to mama by our friend Mallam Sada, a carton that has been marshed to serve as a mat and an Umbrella.
Today has not really been a good day. I had seen Mama count our earnings for the day and i had watched her sigh; a sign that shows that the money was not enough; before she put it in her cap and covered it with her hijab.
'are you not ready to go yet?' mama called out to her friend and companion, Sefiat.
Sefiat, unlike mama has a very lively personality. She is one of those who believes that 'it is sheer waste of time wallowing in self pity and forgetting what it feels like to have a good laugh each day'
Clutching at her own belongings, she wobbled towards us, dragging along her son, Abu who is about the same age as me, as we bade our other friends and fellow beggars farewell as we head home. **************************
Mama laments to Sefiat of how poorly beggars are treated here in the city of Lagos, unlike in the north where people are more generous and vowed to make enough money to get in the next available bus to Kano. Sefiat, in
response to mama, swayed her head here and there; fully aware that mama has said that for the umpteenth time now without actually implementing it.
'thats because i have not made enough money' mama retorted
'Aminat, please help me tell your mum to forget about her silly idea and remain here where she has space to spread her mat rather than going to join the already congested streets of Kano'. She continued 'Don't you know that there are lots of us at the streets of Kano? Who would even look at you?''
Mama was about to say something when she noticed a lady push Abu furiously when he went to approach her for alms.
'You see what i always tell you, these Lagos people are always inconsiderate and heartless' mama screamed as Sefiat ran to lift up her son; "I have always told you to watch the kind of people you approach for alms. When you see such a girl with high heel and too much red lipstick and walks like these (she mimicked the lady's catwalk) please, my son, do not approach her". Her gesture made us laugh and even Abu who was close to tears; joined in the laugh.
That was Sefiat, Nothing bothers her. I am sure if it was me who was pushed that way, mama wouldn't have hesitated to let the lady have a piece of her mind, not minding the fact that she might not understand Hausa. She might even go as far as pushing her too. Mama was that protective of me.
The sound of Sefiat's laughter and Abu's kick on my buttocks jerked me from my reverie. I rushed to retaliate but he was too fast for me as he ran to their house which was a stone throw from ours. Mama bade his mum farewell while they parted and i wheeled mama to our so-called home.
TBC. Pls don't fail to drop ur comments.
Re: Shadows Of Pain by cozyfaithex(f): 8:03pm On May 10, 2017
nice try,kudos to u

1 Like

Re: Shadows Of Pain by Godsgal(f): 8:17pm On May 10, 2017
Cc: mztakayswitch3 leriebloom. Pls do not come alone.
Re: Shadows Of Pain by Godsgal(f): 8:18pm On May 10, 2017
cozyfaithex:
nice try,kudos to u
thanks ma'am
Re: Shadows Of Pain by mztakayswitch3(m): 4:48pm On May 11, 2017
Godsgal:
Cc: mztakayswitch3
leriebloom. Pls do not come alone.
thanks for the mention..lemme goan start from page 0
Re: Shadows Of Pain by Godsgal(f): 11:06pm On May 23, 2017
EPISODE 2
The Shack in which we live in is an uncompleted building that was built a long time ago probably by someone who never realised that his budget was going to fail him at the long run or by someone who died while the work was still in progress. Hence,the abandonment. Either ways, it now served as a home for mama and i. With the help of Sada, mama was able to roof the top with cartons, wood and polythene bags. The windows were covered with nylon and mum's wrappers. There was no need for doors as the doorpost was covered with mama's wrapper as well, afterall who would want to steal from a poor beggar and even if they are so heartless, what will they possibly steal from us.
'Am-i-na! Get me more sticks' mama calld out as she tried frantically to start up a fire that will cook the rice we bought earlier on our way from begging.
'there are no more sticks' i responded.
'then get me cartons and papers or don't you want this fire to lit up so the food can be ready in no time?' i needed no further urging as i was hungry and wasn't about to allow that fire to stop me from eating soon. As i zoomed off to get plastics and watever wil help strengthen the fire; i heard Mallam Sada's voice. He was obviously returning from the day's work and stopped by as asual. Although Sada was not very handsome and had brown teeth that resulted from tobacco chewing, he had a kind heart. He had a way of lightening mama's mood by helping out in every little way each time he was around. I had clothes, all thanks to Sada who collects and selects the less tattered & less wornout ones from his trash and presents it to mama who wil then wash it and patch up the tear. He also buys me sweets on several occasion when he comes around.
He tied his wheelbarrow to its usual spot and waved at me as i ran to greet him. 'how are you yarinya?
'did u buy me anything' i began to say.
'shut your mouth, Did u give him the money to buy u the thing? Mama scolded.
'haba, mama. She is only a child' Mallam sada laughed and as usual, he brought out buscuits from a nylon and handed it to me.
'you are spoiling her' mama insisted.
'leave my wife o,it is my duty to do spoil her' Sada said amidst chuckles.

(1) (Reply)

My Woman, My Everything - Episode 1 / The Blue Love Story [episode 2 : AUCTION] / Between The Rule Of Law And Economic Development: Five Months Of Umar Musa Yar A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.