Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,313 members, 7,808,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA (18222 Views)

40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant / Buyers Of Onions And Tomatoes In Bulk Let's Meet Here / Tomato Scarcity Beckons As Tomato Pest, Tuta Absoluta, Returns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Islie: 9:09am On May 11, 2017
Tomato pest destroys crops in 3 local governments of Gombe state

- Another tomato scarcity might be looming as the tomato pest, Tuta Absoluta has struck again

- The pest has seriously affected tomato harvests in three local governments in Gombe state

- The pest caused a major tomato scarcity in Nigeria in 2016 when it destroyed the tomato harvest

According to the Gombe State Agricultural Development Project (ADP), the tomato pest, Tuta Absoluta, has seriously affected tomato harvests in three local governments in the state.

In 2016, the destructive tomato pest, destroyed tomato farms across Nigeria causing an astronomical increase in the market price of tomato.

The Pest Control Officer, Abba Dreba, in Gombe on Wednesday, May 10 told NAN that the affected local governments were Akko, Kwami and Yamltu-Deba.

He said: “The tomato pest started ravaging tomato farms since last year but the ADP was not aware of this until this year; this is because tomato farmers in the affected local government areas were ignorant of the pest.

“However, when we received the report, we went round the entire local governments of Gombe and discovered that only Akko, Kwami and Yamltu-Deba local government areas were affected.

“The entire tomato farms in the three areas were devastated. This is a very serious problem because the pest is resistant to all the available chemicals and insecticides in the market."

He then called on the state government to initiate proactive measures to ensure that tomato planted in this rainy season would not be affected by the pest.

“If proactive measures are not taken, tomato farmers will divert their attention to other crops because Tuta Absoluta is very devastating,” he said.

Mr Sunday Lah the director of the Gombe ADP Agric Extension Services, advised farmers to wait for the rainy season to be well-established before engaging in crop planting.

According to Lah, this was the only way to ensure that their crops would not be destroyed by the pest too.

To solve the problem, he said that the ADP was trying to procure seeds from reputable institutions for farmers in the state.

“Most at times, a farmer goes to the open market to buy seeds without knowing the source,’’ he said.

https://www.naij.com/1104066-tomato-pest-destroys-crops-3-local-governments-gombe-state.html

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by fineboynl(m): 9:11am On May 11, 2017
this government failed in all ramification. we never had this really bad like this. agriculture was boom in last administration. you never know the value of what you have until you lose them. no more jellof rice and stew

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by blackboy(m): 9:33am On May 11, 2017
My wife got back from the market and said a basket of tomatoes now goes for like N12k!!! Something she bought like N3ksome months back.
God have mercy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Pavore9: 10:28am On May 11, 2017
It is brewing and we will be caught "unaware"! angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by jidestroud(m): 11:42am On May 11, 2017
Now that's something I have to watch out for. Already exploring neem-oil based natural options , my make shift greenhouse made with mosquito nets and other biological means to fight it, if it ever arises.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by veekid(m): 12:36pm On May 11, 2017
Buhari sef

4 Likes

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 11, 2017
I tire for this government grin

veekid:
Buhari sef

Shey buhari whey dey London... Na him cause this one again? Feat God Na grin

3 Likes

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Amberon: 12:37pm On May 11, 2017
Never in the history of Nigeria has things been this bad. Buhari is a curse.

9 Likes

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Joenyam(m): 12:37pm On May 11, 2017
We have been cursed with this government. So we should suck it up.
Any sane government should have taken precautionary measures to abate a reoccurrence, if we're to take any form of diversification seriously. An agenda repeatedly echoed into our ears.
But how can, when countries are effectively run by 39 year olds, we here are left with tired engines and people with no single expertise. Even at this age when they should amend their ways in readiness to meet their creator, they're busy feeding us with lies unrepentantly.

I think God has designated a special section for Nigerian politicians in hell, no wonder their torments begin here with untraceable illnesses.

12 Likes

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by bunnae(f): 12:38pm On May 11, 2017
You would think that by now these people would have found a way to handle this.

1 Like

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by three: 12:38pm On May 11, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by dolphinife: 12:38pm On May 11, 2017
fineboynl:
this government failed in all ramification. we never had this really bad like this. agriculture was boom in last administration. you never know the value of what you have until you lose them. no more jellof rice and stew

You mean the government is in charge of farming??

To whom brain is given, sense is expected

8 Likes

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by positivelord: 12:38pm On May 11, 2017
Buhari is a bad omen then

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Le2money(m): 12:38pm On May 11, 2017
But why.....why is this happening at this time of recession?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Benitogucci(m): 12:39pm On May 11, 2017
May God help us

1 Like

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by dolphinife: 12:39pm On May 11, 2017
positivelord:
Buhari is a bad omen then

Tot you all says the north are parasites??

Ordinary tomatoes, you all have started shitting in pants

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 11, 2017
For the past 3 weeks, tomatoes has been very expensive
Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by dessz(m): 12:40pm On May 11, 2017
dolphinife:

You mean the government is in charge of farming??

to whom brain is given, sense is expected
CHISOS!!!

5 Likes

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by eternalcity(m): 12:40pm On May 11, 2017
Click!!! A new business idea....
Going back to the North.
Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by sorry1(m): 12:40pm On May 11, 2017
so, it's only 3 lga that supplies the whole Nigeria tomatoes, this agency should get the fucck outta here!

3 Likes

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by SweetJoystick(m): 12:40pm On May 11, 2017
Na to buy in large quantity preserve
Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by ogorwyne(f): 12:40pm On May 11, 2017
I bought very expensive tomato yesterday. fear catch me

1 Like

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Pavore9: 12:41pm On May 11, 2017
fineboynl:

Don't we have graduates who should provide us with solutions?

2 Likes

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by chimah3(m): 12:41pm On May 11, 2017
They should keep on misbehaving
Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by helinues: 12:41pm On May 11, 2017
no be for this recession oo
Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by CzarChris(m): 12:42pm On May 11, 2017
It's a huge pity that a government that had the opportunity to prepare for an eventuality like this one, putting into account the terrible experience we had last year. Meaning that this government did do anything to forestall a reoccurance of last years near famine experience. The minister for Agriculture should be sacked and arrested for not even knowing his duties in the first place.

This government is a failure on all counts and on all sides. For those that will talk trash here that the government didn't cause the pest infestation you people should run to your paymasters and ask them to be proactive and act for once as if they really wanted this power to help the masses. Let me ask you APC morons a question is this pest infestation a result of the fall in crude oil prices in the international markets? RUBBISH!!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by positivelord: 12:44pm On May 11, 2017
dolphinife:

I am not one of the advocate of north-is-a-parasite thing...but less face it, as long as northern states goes to Abuja every month for allocation, 90% of that allocation comes from oil...I dont know how else to define parasite.

just before you misinterpret my mention..i said "Buhari is a bad omen" ....the recession, the hunger, the tomato TUTA, the killings, the increase in ethnic tension ..all an exact repeat of 1986. Buhari is certainly a bad omen

3 Likes

Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 11, 2017
tuta what? undecided
Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by 2Ways(m): 12:46pm On May 11, 2017
Toto you no dey rest?
Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Nobody: 12:46pm On May 11, 2017
dolphinife:

lmaogrin
Re: Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA by Nobody: 12:46pm On May 11, 2017
undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Start A Poultry After I Graduate / My New Cucumber Farm / Mushroom Cultivation Simplified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.